Thinking of Selling, but told prices are dropping like a stone (107 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Very depressing..
We are thinking of selling our IH Motorhome… it’s simply time to move on, but we have been told that, although prices went up after covid, they are now dropping like a stone. The market is weak because the future is so uncertain
What does everyone think? Is this your experience?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The big big thing about today's oil powered motorhomes is that in ten years time they are all going to be worthless.
They can't do anything but go down to scrap price.
But why?
In ten years production of ice vehicles will stop production but diesel and petrol fuel will still be available for years to come.

Upvote 0
Apr 20, 2012
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
1year 10 times
Interesting we had an iH great pvc and built well very expensive compared to a pvc by eldiss or swift which are not in the same league but look similar
IH PVCs usually sell to an experienced motor-homer in my experience

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Bought 2015
Sue, have you actually been given a price for it? If so, how does that compare with what you believed it would be worth at 9yrs old? If not, until you get a price to sell/part ex...it's all purely speculation (or the dealer trying to soften you for a low ball bid?)

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
The big big thing about today's oil powered motorhomes is that in ten years time they are all going to be worthless.
Why? Mine isn’t new but it will certainly not be worthless in 10 years time. The one’s bought for £150k today, £0 in 10 years time? No chance imo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Why? Mine isn’t new but it will certainly not be worthless in 10 years time. The one’s bought for £150k today, £0 in 10 years time? No chance imo

Diesel motorhomes might go up in value if they stop making them. While everyone in electric vehicles is worrying if they will make it to the next charge point or if there will be a two hour wait those of us still driving around in diesels won't care. :LOL: As we spend 80% of our time off grid, I can't see how an electric motorhome would work for us. Going up the Col du Tourmalet could be interesting in an electric vehicle. I bet it would be flat by the time you get to the top.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Not until central heating oil also stops production. Untill all oil sales stop diesels will still be around.

Sales of ALL vehicles to year end of august were down 18,3% on 2023. sales of ev's were 44% less in europe.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Remember: Almost no kid at school today will ever own a new vehicle powered by diesel and petrol.

That does not mean todays brand new vehicle will be worthless in 10 years time, but any Diesel powered vehicle will be obsolete in well under 10 years.
Another 10 years beyond that and the number of town restrictions in place limiting entry to EV's will force the old diesel vehicles off the road.

Anyone of us below retirement age will see the last diesels roll off the production line.

Our parents generation will have seen the last steam trains built (March 1960).
The last scheduled steam train was only 8 years later in August 1968.

I remember seeing the last scheduled steam train pass through our local station in 1967.
Todays school kids will remember the last diesel powered public bus, at some point in the 2030's.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 15, 2020
York
Funster No
MH
Buying a new one!
Exp
Learning
We sold ours 3 weeks ago, it was on sale for 5 months, with Motorhome Depot, in the end we finished the contract and sold privately.

We got 4k less than we were hoping and 9k less than MD advised us. My thoughts are that for sure the market value has dropped, from what was an inflated level.

We registered interest in a new one, back in April, we had limited follow up calls until recently, we are now been contacted regularly, but don’t seem keen to offer much of a discount on a Hymer or Carthago, but happy to do so on such as Eldis, Benimar, swift, etc.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I can't see how an electric motorhome would work for us. Going up the Col du Tourmalet could be interesting in an electric vehicle. I bet it would be flat by the time you get to the top.
But you can charge up for free all the way down!
:LOL:

Upvote 1

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
What a lot of people forget is that most of EV sales are company cars, not bought by their employees own money, so by that reasoning if Joe bloggs ain’t buying a car with his own money, would he buy a EV motorhome? Me? I’d pack the whole thing in if I had to buy one, I’d probably pack in driving if I had to buy an EV

Upvote 0

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
I don’t believe that at all. Diesel and petrol will be available for many years to come. The industry is nowhere near producing large motorhomes that will be able to achieve long range distances between charges. This will make used ICE vehicles/motorhomes in even more demand.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
What a lot of people forget is that most of EV sales are company cars, not bought by their employees own money, so by that reasoning if Joe bloggs ain’t buying a car with his own money, would he buy a EV motorhome? Me? I’d pack the whole thing in if I had to buy one, I’d probably pack in driving if I had to buy an EV
Have you driven one? If not go for a test drive I think you will be surprised

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
Remember: Almost no kid at school today will ever own a new vehicle powered by diesel and petrol.

That does not mean todays brand new vehicle will be worthless in 10 years time, but any Diesel powered vehicle will be obsolete in well under 10 years.
Another 10 years beyond that and the number of town restrictions in place limiting entry to EV's will force the old diesel vehicles off the road.

Anyone of us below retirement age will see the last diesels roll off the production line.

I remember seeing the last scheduled steam train pass through our local station in 1967.
Todays school kids will remember the last diesel powered public bus, at some point in the 2030's.

In Portugal many cars on the road are older than 30 years. There are also many Teslas. It's 'bimodal'.

My guess would be that in 20 or 30 years that will still be the case and there will continue to be many ICE cars on the road.

And this is a country which phased coal out before the UK, has very sustainable electricity generation, has highly punitive taxes on polluting new cars and so on.

There's often a big difference, I think, between what happens at state/central government level and what individuals get up to. It's central to being free.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
In Portugal many cars on the road are older than 30 years. There are also many Teslas. It's 'bimodal'.

My guess would be that in 20 or 30 years that will still be the case and there will continue to be many ICE cars on the road.

And this is a country which phased coal out before the UK, has very sustainable electricity generation, has highly punitive taxes on polluting new cars and so on.

There's often a big difference, I think, between what happens at state/central government level and what individuals get up to. It's central to being free.
In the situation that you describe I can see why it's bi modal as it sounds like the taxation on ice cars is on new sales rather than on fuel to use them. If taxation were changed to being on fuel to use them or if it comes in by a much higher charge per mile for petrol and higher still for diesel than EVs the change would be quicker and older cars that are more polluting become very unnatractive

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I’d probably pack in driving if I had to buy an EV
You will not have an option 5 years from now.

Production of diesel powered cars is already coming to an end.
With a complete stop by 2035 (which will probably be the last of the larger vans)

Plant machines and HGV's may continue for quite a while longer until EV catches up.

Upvote 0
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Price right and present it well and the likelihood is that you will sell. It is anything over £100k which I think will sit around a while longer as people wait to see what harm comes to our country.
I have heard people say it's also the big vans that are now not selling as well and the little pvc or small coach built vans that are.

When I bought my new to me 8m six berth in June the guy let slip there had not been much Interest and I got a bit of a bargain. Earlier I had looked at a six berth Bailey that was almost as big at a dealer in Catterick. It was already about £6k less than they were the previous year and I think a deal could have been done for more. It was rubbish though.

Don't bother me. I finally got the spec I wanted and like the last van, I'll probably keep it until it falls to bits or I do unless it turns out to be a Lemon. So far so good.

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
In the situation that you describe I can see why it's bi modal as it sounds like the taxation on ice cars is on new sales rather than on fuel to use them. If taxation were changed to being on fuel to use them or if it comes in by a much higher charge per mile for petrol and higher still for diesel than EVs the change would be quicker and older cars that are more polluting become very unnatractive

Fuel is already more expensive than in wealthier Spain, as are taxes on cars.

But in my discussion with the guy who does electrical and building work for me I said I hope that my Portuguese car, with 330,000 km on, will last for a while without major breakdown. Oh, he said, that's nothing, my pickup (Toyota Hilux, naturally) has more than half a million km on and it's going well.

If it breaks he can fix most things, or his mechanic mate with whom he exchanges favours can.

He is just not the target market for electric cars. Conceivably his son might be, or his grandchild.

And if you're reliant on the electric grid for your 'fuel' they do of course still have you by the tax short and curlies.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Fuel is already more expensive than in wealthier Spain, as are taxes on cars.

But in my discussion with the guy who does electrical and building work for me I said I hope that my Portuguese car, with 330,000 km on, will last for a while without major breakdown. Oh, he said, that's nothing, my pickup (Toyota Hilux, naturally) has more than half a million km on and it's going well.

If it breaks he can fix most things, or his mechanic mate with whom he exchanges favours can.

He is just not the target market for electric cars. Conceivably his son might be, or his grandchild.

And if you're reliant on the electric grid for your 'fuel' they do of course still have you by the tax short and curlies.
I know that you're still stuck with the tax although you could probably in Portugal get a fair few miles out of a reasonable amount of solar much more difficult to refine your own petrol! My point really is we know what the tax regeme is at the moment whats in the future who knows

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
I know that you're still stuck with the tax although you could probably in Portugal get a fair few miles out of a reasonable amount of solar much more difficult to refine your own petrol! My point really is we know what the tax regeme is at the moment whats in the future who knows
Of course.

By all means tax me for the fuel on my ancient Toyota, he may say, I can budget for that in running costs and if necessary add it to client costs. But a new € 50,000 vehicle that may not even last 20 years or do a minuscule 300,000 km? Hmm.

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017

They will only become worthless if they become obsolete ie useless. My point was that they won’t be obsolete in 10 years and therefore they will not be worthless. I guess we’ll see. My view on Motorhomes was that their second hand ‘value’ became artificially inflated and that they are now merely settling down to more realistic levels. Time for those of us who bought before the boom, not so good for those who bought in it, at least in terms of depreciation.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Couple of sites with discounted stock

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
3 They will only become worthless if they become obsolete ie useless. My point was that they won’t be obsolete in 10 years and therefore they will not be worthless. I guess we’ll see. My view on Motorhomes was that their second hand ‘value’ became artificially inflated and that they are now merely settling down to more realistic levels. Time for those of us who bought before the boom, not so good for those who bought in it, at least in terms of depreciation.

This is an interesting topic in its own right.

In the UK 15 or 20-year-old cars are usually worth almost nothing. In other countries they are worth different amounts.

To illustrate: the car I drive in Portugal was imported from the UK by its previous owner. So it's a right hand drive and an oddity here.

However, a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder with over 200k miles would be worth very little in the UK. Maybe £ 3 - £ 3.5 k at a push?

In Portugal, when available (and LHD), they sell for € 14,000 - € 15,000.

The cars are equally 'useful', in terms of utility over their remaining potential service life, in the two countries, but their market worth is massively different.

Now introduce a market 'discontinuity' where you can no longer buy the thing new and the only available ones are of a certain age. What effect does that have? If demand continues to exist, they will of course increase in value.

Upvote 0
Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Sadly the new growth, growth, growth government have suppressed all spending by predicting a doom budget later this month.

That and the time of year, and tbh lots were purchased as a knee jerk to covid, and now the shine has worn off…

Upvote 0
Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido
This is an interesting topic in its own right.

In the UK 15 or 20-year-old cars are usually worth almost nothing. In other countries they are worth different amounts.

To illustrate: the car I drive in Portugal was imported from the UK by its previous owner. So it's a right hand drive and an oddity here.

However, a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder with over 200k miles would be worth very little in the UK. Maybe £ 3 - £ 3.5 k at a push?

The cars are equally 'useful', in terms of utility over their remaining potential service life, in the two countries, but their market worth is massively different.

Now introduce a market 'discontinuity' where you can no longer buy the thing new and the only available ones are of a certain age. What effect does that have? If demand continues to exist, they will of course increase in value.
Dont agree, small, low powered older cars are always in demand for newly passed youngsters.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
T
Sadly the new growth, growth, growth government have suppressed all spending by predicting a doom budget later this month.

That and the time of year, and tbh lots were purchased as a knee jerk to covid, and now the shine has worn off…
I think the shine went off prices before the election is it the doom from the government or just a sobering up of prospective purchasers

Upvote 0

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We are currently looking to buy, but feel that too many dealers / sellers have priced vans too high and still at inflated covid levels. We don’t want to get caught out by buying at a high price whilst it is a falling market.

Other things we have noticed over the last few months: a good van from a reputable brand at a reasonable price does sell, there seems to be a preference for Euro 6 (2016 onwards) vehicles due to emission zones, and a shift towards PVCs / smaller motorhomes.

We’ll keep looking for the right van, but have been disappointed by the relative lack of private sellers compared to dealers (we’d prefer to buy direct). So there are buyers (like us) out there …
Only pay what you are comfortable with or walk away🙂

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Of course.

By all means tax me for the fuel on my ancient Toyota, he may say, I can budget for that in running costs and if necessary add it to client costs. But a new € 50,000 vehicle that may not even last 20 years or do a minuscule 300,000 km? Hmm.
Depends on the fuel costs which largely depends on tax. Our son bought a secondhand EV as he has a reasonably lengthy commute to work he reckons on saving about £1300 a year compared to diesel. If they decide to alter the taxation even more in favour of EVs it's going to alter the calculations especially with some of the new cheaper ones becoming available like the £16k one vauxhall are going to be selling.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Spain is 81% diesel vehicles on the road.
Most people & garages use second hand parts for repairs as new dealer parts are too dear.
The ones buying new are usually in "jobs for life" so know they cannot be sacked & will be on either 7 or 10 years purchase plans as they have always done.
Those in business might well use the lease plan route which is 4 years here.
i.e. a hyundai kona here is 10k down 48 months at 180€/month then balloon of 14k. Works for a business as all tax deductible.
The rest who are 'mileuristas' are running the old stuff.
You also have to remember that vehicles classed as 'historic' or 'classic' in the Uk are daily on the road vehicles here.
When was the last time you saw a citroën c15, 2cv, renault 4 or 6, mercedes 108 van peugeot 309 or 504. min moke,mehari, citroën AX , etc ,etc. All run of the mill stuff in daily use here.
even the old fiat 500/600's are still common.

You really need to precis statements like Brains with " in the UK"

although the muppetts here seem to think at one point that they would have "nothing on the road post 2050 that was not electric" I'd love to see that?

Ev's are ok but politicians & people really need to project themselves forward say 10 or 15 years & ask if what is happening in ukraine occurs again ,it will, what would you be using to power all this electric stuff if the enemy are destroying your ev infrastructure?
As a trade in not even that.
Exactly & the same here in Spain ,especially down the south & east.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back