Thinking of buying dog bike trailer - makes? - can I use a child trailer? (2 Viewers)

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We loved having Nala with us in the summer and are hoping to take her back to France in October.

Even with our currently limited levels of fitness we felt we were pushing her with speed (we were having to cycle more slowly than we find comfortable) and distance when she was running alongside the bikes.

So, we're looking for a dog trailer to allow us to venture a little further and travel a little faster.

We saw a lot of Burley Tail Wagons in France and thought they seemed a good mid-point of quality vs price.
But it's still £340 and we don't know if she'll like it or loathe it so wondered about buying second hand.

Trouble is there are no dog-specific Burleys coming up - but lots of Burley child trailers. So the question is can we safely put a dog in a child bike trailer and what would we have to modify?

Picture of Nala with her dad ...

410341FB-6960-443A-98F1-3EA1258A9D29.jpeg

Last edited:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I m not a dog owner but am grumpdad with a grumpkid carrier which we have used.

I m unsure what differences there are between a £100 child carrier and a £340 dog trailer (apart form £240)

Is there anything in the one you looked at that I am unaware of. I have seen loads of dogs in child carriers (probably people as tight fisted as me)

Parking is an issue when it is attached !

Mick and Ruth

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
This is the one I have for my 30kg Labrador she’s 10 now so days of running beside have gone especially in warmer climates. We got it from Mano Mano on line and it’s brilliant. We now travel for miles with her in tow, and when we arrive at a beach or lake she has plenty of energy to enjoy herself this is in Croatia. If I recall about £170
IMG_2363.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I m not a dog owner but am grumpdad with a grumpkid carrier which we have used.

I m unsure what differences there are between a £100 child carrier and a £340 dog trailer (apart form £240)

Is there anything in the one you looked at that I am unaware of. I have seen loads of dogs in child carriers (probably people as tight fisted as me)

Parking is an issue when it is attached !
To be fair I can get a PetsRUs type for about £100 - we were looking for alloy, rather than steel for payload - and metal wheels rather than plastic as we tend to go off road quite a bit. The Burley child ones are a similar price to their dog ones. Do you know what make the one was you used?

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
To be fair I can get a PetsRUs type for about £100 - we were looking for alloy, rather than steel for payload - and metal wheels rather than plastic as we tend to go off road quite a bit. The Burley child ones are a similar price to their dog ones,
Are you off anytime soon ? You can borrow ours if passing Surrey at a mutually convenient time

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
There are a range available and we have a Burley Tail Wagon, as do our friends who managed to get a second hand one for £40. We had a child trailer before but the floor soon fell through, and was a lot heavier than the Burley. We have done some serious stuff with our trailer. Be aware of how the trailers attach and the fact that this will/may cost you yet again more money.
Another big difference between a kids trailer and a dog trailer is where the height is. It is opposite between the two.
IMG_2675.jpegIMG_9716.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
We had a pawhut one for Frank the dog. Pneumatic tyres that popped off and it folded flat ish. You could push it like a pram it had a front wheel which also removed or tow it as a trailer.
Kept us moving when Frank was getting older. Sadly he has gone now .

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
There are a range available and we have a Burley Tail Wagon, as do our friends who managed to get a second hand one for £40. We had a child trailer before but the floor soon fell through, and was a lot heavier than the Burley. We have done some serious stuff with our trailer. Be aware of how the trailers attach and the fact that this will/may cost you yet again more money.
Another big difference between a kids trailer and a dog trailer is where the height is. It is opposite between the two.
View attachment 796755View attachment 796756
Thanks Andy that's exactly what I needed to know. The Tail Wagon is the one we are looking at. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a second hand one ...

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Are you off anytime soon ? You can borrow ours if passing Surrey at a mutually convenient time
That's incredibly kind and I appreciate your offer. We're hopefully (OH health permitting) bombing down to Canterbury from West Coast Scotland as soon as we break up for October half term and tunnelling the morning after. I don't think logistics work but I really appreciate your kindness!

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Thanks Andy that's exactly what I needed to know. The Tail Wagon is the one we are looking at. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a second hand one ...
Me and my mate both had to spend an additional £40-50 on the axle for our bikes. I then had to find an engineering shop to alter mine too.
A dog trailer has the height at the front as the dog will sit or stand in it so front needs the height. A kids trailer has them sitting in it facing forwards so height is at the back of the trailer.
Also be aware that you may need time to discuss your dog, and trailer, have photos taken, and be pointed at whilst towing a dog trailer.

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Trailer also has other uses. View attachment 796783

A fair bit of weight in there. Over 50 kg.
Found a post in an earlier thread where someone had stopped off on the Mosel at a Weingut and loaded the trailer with cases of wine - poor doggies had to run back 😂.

Dec 31, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix supreme
We had the trailer but I found it heavy behind the normal mountain bike, had 2 x 10kg dogs, we now have buddy riders one on each bike , the bikes are a lot more manouverable as the weight is over the crossbar, they do have a max weight and only suitable for smaller dogs but a vast improvement

20230527_164110.jpg

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
We had the trailer but I found it heavy behind the normal mountain bike, had 2 x 10kg dogs, we now have buddy riders one on each bike , the bikes are a lot more manouverable as the weight is over the crossbar, they do have a max weight and only suitable for smaller dogs but a vast improvement

View attachment 796809
That would be our preferred. That’s me and dog. But as you say size limited. You are so much agile without the trailer. Also our dog is obsessed about looking out at front, and wants to be ahead of the group. But at 20kg there’s no chance of mounting carrier towards the front. Can’t say the trailer is bad behind an E bike, but you do/will certainly know about it on a non E.

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018

View attachment 796809
This would be our preferred option but Nala is aiming for 20kg so not an option sadly. Luckily it’s to go on an e-bike.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Also child trailers have a seat in them, dogs tend to struggle with that 😂 it’s typically a bench type seat running across the trailer or in some cases moulded seat shells.

We use ours every day and we’ve probably done close to 10,000km with it now over the last 5yrs or so. Few comments from a frequent user:

1. Things break on trailers, especially the hitches so access to spares is important
  2. Low access into the trailer is very useful for your dog and useful when getting them used to it
  3. See how small they fold/dismantle to and how easy that is to do as in the end it’s still a pretty big thing to get in the van
  4. A pocket or two on the trailer can be useful for poo bags and leads
  5. Don’t tether your dog In the trailer, i know some will suggest it but if they jump out…..

Ours love their trailer and often sleep in it at campsites when we take the wheels off and lay it down on the floor, it’s basically a mobile kennel.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
PS we love your Nala😍 what a stunning dog, perfect size and coat for camping cars👍🏻

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Also child trailers have a seat in them, dogs tend to struggle with that 😂 it’s typically a bench type seat running across the trailer or in some cases moulded seat shells.

We use ours every day and we’ve probably done close to 10,000km with it now over the last 5yrs or so. Few comments from a frequent user:

1. Things break on trailers, especially the hitches so access to spares is important
  2. Low access into the trailer is very useful for your dog and useful when getting them used to it
  3. See how small they fold/dismantle to and how easy that is to do as in the end it’s still a pretty big thing to get in the van
  4. A pocket or two on the trailer can be useful for poo bags and leads
  5. Don’t tether your dog In the trailer, i know some will suggest it but if they jump out…..

Ours love their trailer and often sleep in it at campsites when we take the wheels off and lay it down on the floor, it’s basically a mobile kennel.

Thanks this is all really useful!

We’ll not manage 10,000 km - ever!

Couple of questions - firstly what make is yours? It must be robust with that mileage and looks really smooth ride in the video.

Also, I had assumed tether so she couldn’t jump out. Was slightly concerned there didn’t se to be a loop in the Burley. Is it dangerous to tether?

Oh and Nala is a right character and loves the campervan!

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have one, will look at it tomorrow as it’s in the garage and I can’t be bothered 😂😂. If you’re passing your welcome to pop in for a look or even borrow, we’re 1/2 mile from A75.

Also check your bike can take the small piece that goes on, ours fitted on the normal bike no issues but needed slightly adjusted for EBike.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks this is all really useful!

We’ll not manage 10,000 km - ever!

Couple of questions - firstly what make is yours? It must be robust with that mileage and looks really smooth ride in the video.

Also, I had assumed tether so she couldn’t jump out. Was slightly concerned there didn’t se to be a loop in the Burley. Is it dangerous to tether?

Oh and Nala is a right character and loves the campervan!

We have an old Croozer trailer. Think it’s about 5-6yrs old now although the newer range is actually much better but also pricey.

Our dogs get in and out and we typically don’t close the trailer up. We used to have a border terrier that had the habit of jumping out which when tethered was hugely risky, leads and wheels etc😳 But now with the 2 dogs we have they are sensible enough to stay in when told although the cocker will get back in whilst we’re riding along if we go fairly slowly.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Was slightly concerned there didn’t se to be a loop in the Burley. Is it dangerous to tether?
The burley has four loops in the base to attach dog to. We tethered our dog as he would try to get out, or walk along the bar joining trailer to bike. Just use a short harness so it isn’t long enough to be able to get out of the trailer. Our dog is now not attached as he has got used to it and we tell him to get in or out as we want. He prefers running along side.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time

Amazon​

Dog Bike Trailer, Bicycle Trailer Pet Carrier On Wheels, 600D Canvas Dog Carrier for Bike w/Reflectors​

Dec 31, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix supreme
We use the buddy riders 1 dog each and a lot easier than the trailer we tried before

20230527_164110.jpg

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
We have been using these for our two frenchies. They are very lightweight and can be easily adapted to remain level when attached to different height bikes. They fold up easily for stowing.
bike trailers.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back