Jun

Rally Thetford Bash 2022 ... NEW VENUE.N Pickenham Rd, Swaffham PE37 7QX (2 Viewers)

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Ditto to all the sentiments above ⬆️

Thanks John as always for your hard work and finding a fabulous location and your family the other people who worked so hard to make it a success.

Safe journeys to everyone going home, weren’t we lucky with the weather? Until this morning anyway 😊

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
A great location for the revised "Thetford Bash" Jaws
Thanks for reorganizing and making this a fantastic weekend for everyone.
Thanks for all your hard work along with your family and Marshall's for keeping everyone happy and enjoying the weekend.
And thanks to all the funsters for taking part.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Just arrived home after a fantastic weekend at the 'Bash'

Sorry I left early this morning without saying Goodbye' to anyone but, to be honest, I'm not very good with names and goodbyes can be a bit awkward, also, after the rain we had last night, I expected a bit of wheelspin while going up the slope and it getting churned up but,
No spin or No problems!

Many thanks to Jaws, and his 'glamourous assistants', (what would we do without them) for the hard work they all put in to make this a truly memorable 'Bash'

Can we have Swaffham again next year please? (for me, the closeness to the Town is the clincher)

Take care everyone and look forward to seeing you all again in the not too distant future.

(Off to the Newark Retro show next week, so trying on my 1960's clothes that I last wore when I was 20yrs old, (we of Farming stock NEVER throw anything away) they have shrunk dramatically, (I can now get my arm in where my leg used to go) how can that happen???) :rofl:

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
What can we say that's not already been said. Fantastic weekend and great venue, Thetfords loss is Swaffhams gain. So thanks to all involved for such a good time. By the way Tonkas looking for a caddy for Wentworth, any takers?

Jun 30, 2012
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 728G
Exp
March 16
Again thanks to Jaws, his family & the marshalls for a great 'bash'.
Roxy our new German shepherd 🐕‍🦺 enjoyed her 1st fun rally....she got more confident meeting loads of people & dogs as the weekend went on👍👍
Cheers, Gary & Ang IMG_20220601_183652962_HDR.jpg

Jun 4, 2019
North licolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks Jaws, Marshalls, organisers and many more for a great weekend. The Swaffham rugby club is a great venue with it being walking distance to town.
Looking forward to many more Bashes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• 20220602_131029.jpg
    20220602_131029.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 45

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Thank you to John and family for making it such a good 4 days.

Sprocket779
I missed meeting Roxy but I must say it was a pleasure to see such a good girl specially as it was a first for her, lovely to see a big dog being respectful!
She would have made Pippa squeak, but then Pippa squeaks at the slightest thing!

tonyandcarol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2016
Spilsby Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Niesman bischoff Fla
Exp
since 2005
Thank you John and the family and the Marshals for a great weekend. Super venue in a great location.A special thanks to Jock @ JockandRita for giving up his morning helping me with getting my driving seat back into a position that I could drive home.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
As above, many thanks to clan Jaws for a brilliant weekend.
Thanks, without question to the marshal, specially Robin and Hilary (meanders) for the entertainment.
My vote also for Swaffham next year. Close to a lovely town and good bus service to other places.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Another great Fun meet and as always big thanks to all involved, John and family, marshalls, musicians and the funsters themselves (y)

Another vote for Swaffam, nice to be able to walk into town....

Ref the Golf clubs.. I will list them on the classifieds later.. :rofl:
Seriously, I will try and place them somewhere and get a few quid then donate to the air ambulance locally so it all helps. (y)

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks again John and all your band of helpers brilliant venue even it it has to go up in price 👍 glad none of the stunt riders got seriously hurt in the ped mayhem🙂
meanders thanks for the war years music but I am still waiting for my request of
GOOD MORNING VIETNAM 🤣
All in a cracking event 🇬🇧

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I would like to add my thanks to Broken Link Removed and Co for a great weekend , had the priverlidge to meet some very interesting lovely people, the best part of rallies, the location was great and hope to be there again next year .arrived at my overnight stop and the neighbours are friendly , please no mention of orange sauce.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
Well, we’re home safe and sound even though I’m absolutely battered, not had so many aches and pains since playing rugby forty years ago.
A big thanks to John and co. for putting on a great ‘bash’ at such short notice and new venue.
A huge thanks to Johns son Darrell and others for patching me up after my racing incident/failure and Sam for expertly chauffeuring me to the hospital and back.
I feel like a fraud being awarded the winners trophy after causing the end of racing because my complete lack of talent, sorry to the other ped racers.
Hope to see you all again next year……….and I might protect my two brain cells with a helmet next time 👍😂

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Thank you John and the family and the Marshals for a great weekend. Super venue in a great location.A special thanks to Jock @ JockandRita for giving up his morning helping me with getting my driving seat back into a position that I could drive home.
No sweats Tony pal. (y) I couldn't see you stuck.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

May 2, 2022
Crewe, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
Exp
I'm a newbie
Wowzers!!! Thank you Jaws, your family and the marshall's for making our FIRST EVER rallie a memorable one....it was INCREDIBLE!
What a fantastic venue and glorious weather...how lucky were we 🙂
We were a little nervous but we met some fantastic people, everyone was so welcoming and friendly. Thank you for making us feel so welcome and part of the Funster family 🙂
Our son Bradley thoroughly enjoyed the Ped racing "Mum, can I have one pleeeaaasse" is all we've heard on the way home 😂
Hoping to get signed up to some more rallies....think we've caught the bug 🤣
Hope everyone got home safe.
Kay, Michael, Brad and Hugo (the Frenchie lol) xxx

Attachments

• 20220603_143742.jpg
    20220603_143742.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 20220604_113753.jpg
    20220604_113753.jpg
    986.2 KB · Views: 59
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 2017
A big thank you to Jaws et al for a very enjoyable weekend; we made some new friends and will definitely be back next year ....
And I am still walking like a cowboy after the ped racing !

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
If you have an 8mtr motorhome the McDonald's car park on the A47 is NOT for you !!!
Bit tight..

Relocated to the Waitrose car park and picked up a lovely warm fresh backed baguette..that's tea sorted 👍👍
The one a t the A16 cross A17 Sutterton copes with lorries so for the future you should be okm

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The one a t the A16 cross A17 Sutterton copes with lorries so for the future you should be okm
Thanks.. the car park was full on our visit but I parked at the rear of the shop while grandson went in. 👍

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
From our perspective, it was a wonderful rally, and very much in the MotorhomeFun tradition.

Delighted that davidhat33 and Tigertom (and also indeed Jaws who damaged his toe) are all on the mend. Hopefully they got home OK?

Thanks too to both sets of musicians who quietly put up with me playing at being a technician and actually being in the way. :wink: They entertained us all so well. Scotties Greengrass , Ukbandit, tonyandcarol.

The club manager and lady bar staff who served us, and fell over backwards to deliver everything we asked for. The two girls who had to be there when bottling up, clearing up during the day, and then again all yesterday evening. They helped me with table moving and other things during the day, unseen by most of you.

Without taking away one iota from the recognised efforts and praise of Jaws John, Mo, Zoe, Darrell et el a big hand is needed for a few people who really made it for us and get little recognition.
- Ellie May, who did everything to help, with the younger children, with ped racing, with collecting the cash at the auction etc.. etc. and from one so young. Thank you young lady.
- Peter and Hilda Larby, for marshalling, banner hanging, correcting my spelling and grammar on the black board, leading the dancing last night etc. etc. Thank you both.
- Lee Fryer for parking up the majority of of you, banner hanging, marshals shelter erection, putting the bunting up and down on the goalposts, and being there to the death last night with packing away my gear and getting it into the car, and many other behind the scenes tasks with the now familiar to me phrase "That's what I'm here for". I know he has been quietly doing the same at other rallies. Thank you Lee. Without your input, everything would be more difficult.

We are home, been to the 'street party' which was great and equipment now all unloaded.

Thanks to all attendees. It's been FUN.

Robin & Hilary

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sorry, bit of a long one this :)

Big thanks to ( In alphabetical order )
Gaston aires Larby Lee Fryer meanders and all the musicians but esp Scotties who were already virtually fully booked for the weekend and made a special trip to Swaffham just to entertain us on Friday
meanders gets a second mention for the absolute stonking party atmosphere he generated last night in the club house !

And of course the 'Thetford Crew' :)

Talking of the club house a big thanks must go to Swaffham RFC for hosting us at such short notice
All the staff were most welcoming and bent over backwards for us, more on this later

Thank you all for the kind words
Sorry I did not reply to those posting stuff on this thread over the weekend but as you proly noticed I was a bit busy most of the time and genuinely never got on the forum at all !!

Couple of medical issues were dealt with both with good outcomes ( Bash war wounds and battle scars are the norm LOL !!! And any way, you know what they say, Chicks dig scars !! :cool: :rofl: )
Tigertom you can say what you like mate, but one way or other you TOTALY EARNED THE CUP !!!!!!

Lost property
I do not know what it is, but for the past few years someone at the bash seems to mislay a pair of glasses
This year is no exception and I have a pair of black frames spectacles in the lost property
Also found and handed in is a black / grey ( I think.. its in the van and I am too knackered to go get it :) ) hoodie type jumper

This is a VERY rough figure, but even though this was the smallest Bash ever ( Jubilee weekend etc etc ) we STILL made about £1600+ for air ambulance
Once I have worked it out properly I will post again on this thread..
So take a bow all of you for a grand effort !

Next year

Every one I spoke to rated the Swaffham venue far higher than Thetford
The issue is, we got Thetford for £500 and Swaffham, although to help out charged us the same this year, made it very clear it was to help us out of the muddle Thetford left us in and future booking would be considerably more
At one point, was talking 6 times that
I had a meeting with Eric from Swaffham RFC this morning, and thanks in no part to all you folks who attended keeping it all lovely, the field walkers this morning double checking for any litter ( there was VERY little ) and the general demeanour and behaviour of Funsters, we came to a figure of £1200 for next year
If you guys want to return to Swaffham next year this will mean a rise in the ticket prices ( but not by very much ) and it will mean that unlike Thetford who turned a blind eye to really early arrival days ( Tuesday ) and leaving day ( the following Tuesday ), at Swaffham the earliest guests will be able to arrive is late afternoon of Wednesday the 24th of May and be gone by about 2pm Monday the 29th

Got to crunch the numbers but providing we get no less ralliers next year I reckon a £3.50 rise per person will leave us comfortable and still manage to raise some lolly for Air Ambulance

Having said all that, the site is terrific, the club house is bigger, the hosts wonderful, big town just 5 minutes walk away and less than 30 miles to the coast if you fancy going for a paddle after the event... In fact all in all a far better venue than Thetford

So the ball is firmly in YOUR court... I can make either site work for us, but where would YOU prefer ?

A small addendum

You will have to excuse my french, but most of you know I am pretty down to earth and say what I think
As you can imagine I was pretty pissed of with Thetford RFC and they crapped on us from a great height
On the way home, as we passed the Thetford site I was even MORE pissed off with them
The grief they give us every year if someone even dares to just walk on the pitch was pretty huge
As we drove past this afternoon I saw they had let the dog people use the main pitch as the show area, with the pitch covered in all sorts of vehicles and doggy paraphernalia
It seems to me they have always treated us as 2nd class at best, giving far more to others than us, even though I have been booking the site for the past 21 years...
So as you can imagine, although the logistics of Swaffham is for me, no where near as convenient as Thetford, my vote is for a permanent move to Swaffham, if at all possible :)

Over to you lot for your input !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back