The resurrection of Doc, bringing a 20 year old neismann Bischoff Flair back to life after 12 years off road.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Check the distance between the top of the tyre & the top of the wheel either side to see whether you have a spring that has sagged.
I'd have to get the steering wheel level I'm ocd about anything like that
I would have to ask myself, why is it not straight, has it been off for something or has the tracking been very badly adjusted only on one side? 🤔

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
I would have to ask myself, why is it not straight, has it been off for something or has the tracking been very badly adjusted only on one side? 🤔
You could ask

But here are the facts
In 2013 this camper had never failed an mot and had 51700km on the clock.
In August this year when passing it had 51810km on the clock . It was motd in 2021, 2023 and again in 2024.
It had done less than 100 miles between 2013 and 2024 there's never been any mention of anything that could be related being worked on . It's had the bare minimum of work done between 2021 and 2024 for mot.

I don't think the steering wheel has been off and all the track rod ends , ball joints etc appear to be original as they still have traces of the factory red paint.

It's done a lot of sitting around but not a lot of driving.

I don't think it's anything suspicious it's just lack of use.

To be honest looking back the mot history the second owner never used it much even before he parked it up .

He bought it in 2008 and it had 49000km on it then . The first owner put the miles on it really.

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
You could ask

But here are the facts
In 2013 this camper had never failed an mot and had 51700km on the clock.
In August this year when passing it had 51810km on the clock . It was motd in 2021, 2023 and again in 2024.
It had done less than 100 miles between 2013 and 2024 there's never been any mention of anything that could be related being worked on . It's had the bare minimum of work done between 2021 and 2024 for mot.

I don't think the steering wheel has been off and all the track rod ends , ball joints etc appear to be original as they still have traces of the factory red paint.

It's done a lot of sitting around but not a lot of driving.

I don't think it's anything suspicious it's just lack of use.

I'm just suspicious I guess but I still can't believe that it left the factory with a off centre steering wheel.

I should have been more suspicious when I bought my secondhand PVC Murvi, it had no undertray (which didn't bother me as I would have removed most, only leaving the one on the belt side) and a mudflap missing on the nearside front wheel.
This was explained by the man saying it had become loose and fallen off and the newish sump was because the old one became porous, a trait of Ducato's apparently?

As it drove okay, looked okay and it was early January with sleet and rain, I paid my money.
I was only later, I gave the underside a THOROUGH examination and it became obvious that the undertray had not been carefully removed, as small parts of it were still attached to the bolts and the top of the N/S/F spring coil was broken.

It had obviously hit a deep pot hole or something similar that had damaged both the undertray, ripped off the mudflap and, possibly, damaged the sump?

Thank goodness the price I paid, plus extra, allowed me to replace, upgraded front springs, mudflap, stainless steel exhaust system, timing belt, clutch and gearbox oil which gave me a baseline for the future. 👍

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
I'm just suspicious I guess but I still can't believe that it left the factory with a off centre steering wheel.

I should have been more suspicious when I bought my secondhand PVC Murvi, it had no undertray (which didn't bother me as I would have removed most, only leaving the one on the belt side) and a mudflap missing on the nearside front wheel.
This was explained by the man saying it had become loose and fallen off and the newish sump was because the old one became porous, a trait of Ducato's apparently?

As it drove okay, looked okay and it was early January with sleet and rain, I paid my money.
I was only later, I gave the underside a THOROUGH examination and it became obvious that the undertray had not been carefully removed, as small parts it were still attached to the bolts and the top of the N/S/F spring coil was broken.

It had obviously hit a deep pot hole or something similar that had damaged both the undertray and ripped off the mudflap.

Thank goodness the price I paid, plus extra, allowed me to replace, upgraded front springs, mudflap, stainless steel exhaust system, timing belt, clutch and gearbox oil which gave me a baseline for the future. 👍
Yes I have absolutely no doubt it never left the factory with a misaligned wheel. It's either lost the fluid/gas from the nsf shock causing it to dip slightly on the left or its hit a pothole or something that has knocked the tracking out.

There's nothing visible on the tyres at present to confirm if tracking is out .

I could have it checked to see I guess but would be a bit annoyed if it was checked and required no adjustment but was still charged lol.

So I'd like to be sure it was that.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I'd have to get the steering wheel level I'm ocd about anything like that
You and me both Richard. ;)

I had a mobile chap who serves the haulage companies round here, to come to the house and do our tracking. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
You and me both Richard. ;)

I had a mobile chap who serves the haulage companies round here, to come to the house and do our tracking. (y)

Cheers,

Yes it's annoying me to lol. I could just take the wheel off and align it but it wouldn't solve the problem causing it.

I've just been under for a look and there really isn't anything obvious. I may need to see if I can find somewhere to check the tracking. But I'd have thought it would show up on a tyre

20241021_135318.jpg
20241021_135500.jpg
20241021_135522.jpg

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato pvc self
Exp
Since 2017
Yes it's annoying me to lol. I could just take the wheel off and align it but it wouldn't solve the problem causing it.

I've just been under for a look and there really isn't anything obvious. I may need to see if I can find somewhere to check the tracking. But I'd have thought it would show up on a tyre
It wouldn't show up on a tyre that's only done a hundred miles unless it was really bad.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
It wouldn't show up on a tyre that's only done a hundred miles unless it was really bad.
Well the new tyre has now done 700 miles . Although yes it might well take more than that.

Shock looks OK too .

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Do you mean so that we can count the number of threads left showing on each of the track control arms Owen? ;)

Cheers,

You know me too well but it was one of the things to compare. 😄

I find if one takes pictures, it's easy to expand and see clearer. 🤔

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Tam, does this cover your model?

I need a six speed gear knob, but they are closer to £40. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)[/URL]
I have seen this a few times now and completely baffled, what does, parden my interruption, mean?

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
I have seen this a few times now and completely baffled, what does, parden my interruption, mean?
I've no idea .. that's only started happening recently when posting ebay links .

Not sure if it's an ebay thing or an mhf thing .

Never used to do that

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
No mine is 6 speed too but it seems to be stuck on for now.

That ob1 is good stuff

Our Iveco 2005 3 litre gear knob 6 speed came off and I’ve stuck it back on, must be a common problem.
Having just spoken to them on the phone, I'm going for one of these, coming in from Italy.

The underside collar on ours is split, and that's why sticking it back on 3 x times hasn't lasted long. :(

Cheers,

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
OK I've braved the cold and damp and took a few pics of the other side.

I'll post them in pairs for comparison.
Shocks
20241021_135318.jpg
20241021_153014.jpg

I think they look fine.

Ball joints, track ends etc

20241021_135522.jpg
20241021_152742.jpg

20241021_135500.jpg
20241021_152749.jpg

The tiebars at the front....now one of these looks like it may have been changed but hard to tell. And the one on the left side looks like there's maybe a bit grease escaping . Threads do look different lengths on these

20241021_152756.jpg
20241021_152937.jpg
20241021_152911.jpg
20241021_152902.jpg

So a possibility maybe .

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Northernraider bit of a longshot , an Iveco van slightly newer than yours I owned developed a knock on n/s , originally suspected to be in steering, turned out to be n/s body to chassis mount, allowing movement . Yours being lhd might affect steering as a secondary effect if similar fault ? The nearside usually wears first due to roughest side of road .

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
So a possibility maybe .
I definitely think so Tam, plus, if you look at the inside of the new Maxxis tyre on image No4, the tread on the edge of the shoulder looks like "possible" signs of early feathering, which would mean it's toeing out, and would be happening if you are constantly having to correct the steering to the right, (because it pulls to the left)...............if you get what I mean.

Cheers,

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Whilst taking these photos have you found the cause of you brake warning light?
Not yet.

It will be one of those brake pad warning sensors I'm sure of it. Again another common fault on ivecos. I will most likely have to completely remove them. There's a way to disable them I've found on the iveco forum .

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
might be worth putting a bar it the right mount to see if there is any movement judging by the rust mark it may be moving on the bush

Screenshot (48).png

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
Minor point, the shocks are mounted a long way inboard, and will see less than 40% of the travel of the wheel, so any slight degrade will be amplified. But I would still check tracking first, as the wheel is out and the previous tyres had done hardly any miles to give any clues.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
BTW Tam, none of our 4 x shocks were leaking, but when the front ones were done, both of us noticed a difference straight away, especially on roundabouts. The rears were done about 6 x months later, and again, there was a noticeable difference, ie, less wallow all round. (y)

Cheers,

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Same problem as brake bleeding though, I've phoned 8 different garages around Salisbury to see if they can do wheel alignment check. Same story too big for their ramp blah blah. The only one I haven't had an answer from is Adams moray in Salisbury because they don't answer the phone, sat on hold for 8 minutes 25 seconds listening to how important my call is to them and gave up in the end.

In the old days when we did wheel alignment it was done on the floor lol

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Same problem as brake bleeding though, I've phoned 8 different garages around Salisbury to see if they can do wheel alignment check. Same story too big for their ramp blah blah. The only one I haven't had an answer from is Adams moray in Salisbury because they don't answer the phone, sat on hold for 8 minutes 25 seconds listening to how important my call is to them and gave up in the end.

In the old days when we did wheel alignment it was done on the floor lol
Does it have to be a "garage" won't the normal tyre places do it?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back