The resurrection of Doc, bringing a 20 year old neismann Bischoff Flair back to life after 12 years off road. (88 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
As said you need to check there are 12v on the output side of fuse then follow wire to the next position & check for 12 v there.if you remove the battery then you can check for continuity.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I can't check them individually as there is zero power at the first light and nothing after it. So putting a meter on it wouldn't register anything. I've physically checked the bulb holders and wiring and apart from the number plate lights none show any signs of corrosion. The number plate lights are both corroded but if I disconnect the one on the dead circuit and connect it to the live circuit it works . .

As I said I'm convinced the fault is between the fuse box and the front side light.

But I can't find anything obvious.

It may not even be getting a pos Feed from the fuse box
I said disconnect each one to check it, it only needs one shorting out to take the power out to all of them.

May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
If you cant get a meter probe in the fusebox stick a wire in. You need to check systematically from beginning to end.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Feckin rain is on now so that's ended play for today.. I'd managed to get the battery out and gave it a good hoover In there as it was filthy .

Again I can't see anything obvious, no signs of chewing or loose connections etc ...but then rain came on and I need battery connected to have power on inside van etc so I've had to put it back inand reconnect for now
20240910_135142_copy_1209x1612.jpg
20240910_135154_copy_1209x1612.jpg
20240910_135854_copy_1209x1612.jpg
20240910_135857_copy_1209x1612.jpg

Battery obviously isn't the same size as original either as it won't sit on the tray at the right height . The frame on the ground is meant to sit on top of the battery to secure it but they had it sitting under the battery to lift it high enough for fitting terminals.

Tomorrow is meant to be drier , I'll remove it again then for a more in depth look .

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Right , lights are sorted . Every light now working .

In the end it was a very easy fix , something I'd already checked and thought it was OK

But I'm too embarrassed to tell ya lol . So I'm gonna have a cider and you lot can look at the pretty pictures of old vehicles I took on our dog walk .
20240908_090800_copy_1612x1209.jpg
20240908_090807_copy_1612x1209.jpg
20240908_090814_copy_1612x1209.jpg

And remember boys and girls IF you check a fuse and think it's OK...try another fuse first before spending hours taking lights apart and tracing miles of cable , checking connection blocks etc etc etc .

It's nearly always something bloody simple .

I'm getting drunk

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
In t'other news .

My victron smart solar controller arrived today. Bought from ebay in the end for £99 with free delivery . Came from a company called "wired campers" couldn't find anywhere to beat that price even with our discounts. ...thems come down a bit , I paid £152 last year for the one for moby.

20240910_124605_copy_1612x1209.jpg

Also finally made the decision and ordered the fogstar drift 300ah lithium battery ....again direct from fogstar at £722 , did try to see if anyone could beat that rather than just matching it but couldn't and they won't give us our 10% discount on any items already in the sale which is a bit of a backtrack on the club discount as effectively we are paying same price as Joe public.

But anyway that should arrive in a day or two. Will have to go order my solar panel too. Moving the battery location and fitting solar etc should be easy enough . I still want a b2b but again I'm undecided which one to buy .

As I only have a 90amp alternator on the van I'm not sure if there's much point fitting a 50amp b2b , but I have been advised it's the best one for future proofing as you can select what amps you want from it etc .

But it is 250 quid before I buy cables etc too

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
Tam.I did something similar. Radio stopped working. Fuse blown.Found a chaffed wire to radio power. Sorted it out put brand new fuse in. Still no power.Was going away so left it untill we came back. Was booked in with Auto electrician but could not fit me in for a week. Decided to take another look and put in another new fuse.I don't have a meter and don't know how to use one so bought a couple more fuses.Changed it again and voila it worked Neighbor checked fist fuses I had bought and both were dud.Never thought that could happen. Glad you finally got it sorted.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
In t'other news .

My victron smart solar controller arrived today. Bought from ebay in the end for £99 with free delivery . Came from a company called "wired campers" couldn't find anywhere to beat that price even with our discounts. ...thems come down a bit , I paid £152 last year for the one for moby.

View attachment 947197

Also finally made the decision and ordered the fogstar drift 300ah lithium battery ....again direct from fogstar at £722 , did try to see if anyone could beat that rather than just matching it but couldn't and they won't give us our 10% discount on any items already in the sale which is a bit of a backtrack on the club discount as effectively we are paying same price as Joe public.

But anyway that should arrive in a day or two. Will have to go order my solar panel too. Moving the battery location and fitting solar etc should be easy enough . I still want a b2b but again I'm undecided which one to buy .

As I only have a 90amp alternator on the van I'm not sure if there's much point fitting a 50amp b2b , but I have been advised it's the best one for future proofing as you can select what amps you want from it etc .

You can’t take it with you ……
Everything you do, don’t do it by half, you might want to upgrade your systems in the future👍

May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
In t'other news .

View attachment 947197

Does lenny have a 25A b2b he has removed that you can have/buy?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I was always told to replace fuses rather than just looking at them, the only time I didn't and thought the fuse was fine.......

Mind I have also caught someone putting used fuses back in the box before testing them.

The worst thing is when there is more than one blown fuse on the same circuit.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

It's only 50 quid dearer than the 30 amp one as you know you can set the output level. It also has Bluetooth so you can see what is going on & if not fitting a shunt you can see the starter battery voltage which can be useful.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
It's only 50 quid dearer than the 30 amp one as you know you can set the output level. It also has Bluetooth so you can see what is going on & if not fitting a shunt you can see the starter battery voltage which can be useful.
And runs a lot cooler so doesn't cut out due to heat. Set output at 30 amps and you're likely to get that 90% of the time.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Right , lights are sorted . Every light now working .

In the end it was a very easy fix , something I'd already checked and thought it was OK

But I'm too embarrassed to tell ya lol .
And remember boys and girls IF you check a fuse and think it's OK...try another fuse first before spending hours taking lights apart and tracing miles of cable , checking connection blocks etc etc etc .
So, am I to assume it was the 5A fuse I directed you to, which kept blowing in my case due to the short to earth? Isn't it a right barsteward to get to? I have to lay across both front seats and use a mirror and a torch, just to see it, then blindly fumble about until I reach it. As said previously, horrendously innaccessible. :( If it was a normal Iveco Daily cab, you'd just open the cab door and there it would be. :doh:
I'm assuming you looked at the fuse Tam, but didn't put it across a meter checking for continuity. ;)

Glad to know it's sorted now. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
So, am I to assume it was the 5A fuse I directed you to, which kept blowing in my case due to the short to earth? Isn't it a right barsteward to get to? I have to lay across both front seats and use a mirror and a torch, just to see it, then blindly fumble about until I reach it. As said previously, horrendously innaccessible. :( If it was a normal Iveco Daily cab, you'd just open the cab door and there it would be. :doh:
I'm assuming you looked at the fuse Tam, but didn't put it across a meter checking for continuity. ;)

Glad to know it's sorted now. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)
Yes that was the one...and I've no excuse as I have a cab door lol so it's not that bad to access. But there was a 10amp in there and I just thought earlier...wonder why there was a 10 amp in there so I took it out again swapped the 5amp from the other side and the lights worked. Looked at the fuse with a light behind it and there was a very fine hairline crack in it. Fitted 2 new 5amp fuses and all lights now work . Well bar one reversing light but that's a bulb .

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Tam
Please can you tell us how you checked the fuse the first time - so we know how NOT to do it! 😃
Can I guess at visual, not meter?
Oops Jock already asked, sorry!
Yes all just visual . I checked those the first day I had the van ... maybe I was just stressed with all the other stuff at the time.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Yes all just visual . I checked those the first day I had the van ... maybe I was just stressed with all the other stuff at the time.
I always use a multi meter but that's not always fool.proof

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
Yes that was the one...and I've no excuse as I have a cab door lol so it's not that bad to access. But there was a 10amp in there and I just thought earlier...wonder why there was a 10 amp in there so I took it out again swapped the 5amp from the other side and the lights worked. Looked at the fuse with a light behind it and there was a very fine hairline crack in it. Fitted 2 new 5amp fuses and all lights now work . Well bar one reversing light but that's a bulb .
The hairline crack must have happened as the tester drove Doc out of the MOT building 🤔. Just unlucky.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back