Taking your bird on holiday......do you? (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Shame you're not closer as I'd look after it for you.

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Would it need all this crap if it escaped the cage and flew over the channel.
I would think some birds fly over all the time.
and the French trap and kill small birds. That is without the problem of Avian flu, where the ministry can order whole flocks killed just as a precaution to stop the spread in affected areas

Oct 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Not yet, but looking
the description “export’ still applies, even though it is for a pet - It is an EU description - ”export” is not just for commercial purposes. If the bird was being taken to Northern Ireland, it would be described as being ”moved’ within UK a territory.

the bird requires an animal health certificate. One of these > https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5f685fe7e90e0759f5575610/Specimen-8217_English_V1.pdf

more Info here > https://www.gov.uk/export-health-ce...-birds-to-the-european-union-certificate-8217

I am going through a similar situation. I have a holiday home in Corfu which I will be driving to/from in my Hymer. I will be taking my 3 x dogs and 1 x Cockatoo parrot for 5 months every year. My parrot is 25 years old and is ringed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
We had budgies when I was at home and they were always ringed. THe man who used to come and clip their nails put a ring on then the first time he did the claws and then he's mark it down in his book that ring number xxx had nails clipped on whatever day.

With avian flu I wouldn't take a bird away at the moment. Our hens are enclosed and under cover at the moment and they hate it.

You can take hens in and out of the country - I'm not sure how many in one trip so it can be done.
I agree - I also looked into taking another type of animal (apart from usual cat or dog) - not saying which type as you will all take the mick :LOL: and an important point was the changes in temperature within a van could adversely affect the animal

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
My avatar shows my dog (reflected in the mirror) looking at my 23 year old cockatiel who often comes away in the motorhome with me.
He loves it! As soon as we reach the gate at the storage compound he starts squawking and running up and down his perch!🤣
The dog regularly tries to attack him but he just hangs on to the bars and pecks her nose.🤪
I've not taken him abroad but looked into it in 2017 and there were no restrictions at that time. It was just dogs, cats and ferrets that needed a pet passport and the only birds that needed paperwork were poultry and racing pigeons. It's bound to be a lot more complicated since brexit. 🙄

Aug 22, 2020
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3 years and learning!
Many comments on here about people taking there birds on holiday in the motorhome, the survival of these birds has probably been more luck than judgement! birds have a different breathing system to mammals, the REAL danger is they will likely be in an atmosphere that will be harmful and probably fatal, they are highly highly susceptable to fumes and odours that may be present even for a short while, eg. gas fumes from cookers/heaters, even properly serviced ones, slight exhaust fumes (even the owners may not be aware of) ALL spray, air fresheners, cleaners, deodarants etc, candles (unlikely in a moho!) fumes from teflon coated pans if slightly overheated are almost instant death and this includes teflon coated heating elements in hair dryers and straighteners etc.

My knowledge comes from being involved in the keeping of, rescue and rehoming parrots and birds, please do not underestimate the seroiusness of this to birds, I know many will say they have had birds in moho's with no problems, if you are aware of this great otherwise it has been sheer luck the bird has survived!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I agree - I also looked into taking another type of animal (apart from usual cat or dog) - not saying which type as you will all take the mick :LOL: and an important point was the changes in temperature within a van could adversely affect the animal
Awe c'mon ... you can't deny us a bit of 'poking fun' at you! If you don't want to say outright give us some clues so we can guess! :giggle:

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Many comments on here about people taking there birds on holiday in the motorhome, the survival of these birds has probably been more luck than judgement! birds have a different breathing system to mammals, the REAL danger is they will likely be in an atmosphere that will be harmful and probably fatal, they are highly highly susceptable to fumes and odours that may be present even for a short while, eg. gas fumes from cookers/heaters, even properly serviced ones, slight exhaust fumes (even the owners may not be aware of) ALL spray, air fresheners, cleaners, deodarants etc, candles (unlikely in a moho!) fumes from teflon coated pans if slightly overheated are almost instant death and this includes teflon coated heating elements in hair dryers and straighteners etc.

My knowledge comes from being involved in the keeping of, rescue and rehoming parrots and birds, please do not underestimate the seroiusness of this to birds, I know many will say they have had birds in moho's with no problems, if you are aware of this great otherwise it has been sheer luck the bird has survived!

Yes, we take great care. We have travelled with budgies for several years with no mishaps. Cooking with the sliding door open, using only stainless steel pans, and we don't use any sprays you mentioned.

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
We came across a German couple enjoying breakfast with their Parrot while away in 2019.

DSC_0029.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Paperwork for that would be interesting! 😆
I wonder if it needs microchipping? If so I'm quite happy to do it for him if he can stop it from hiding or shaking! :LOL:

1638978319825.png

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Either mice or guinea pigs!
Guinea pigs - we were told it was a very bad idea by our vets due to temperature variations! Ps we haven’t any at the moment (dog would want to “play” with them) but just looking forward………..

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Guinea pigs - we were told it was a very bad idea by our vets due to temperature variations! Ps we haven’t any at the moment (dog would want to “play” with them) but just looking forward………..
We had pet rats and used to take them away with us abroad, no issues at all. So long as you don't go to somewhere with really hot weather such as Southern Spain in mid-summer (or where there's an unexpected heatwave at other times) then I can't see what the issue would be, cold weather won't bother them as they won't be going outside unless you make them some little winter jumpers! :LOL:

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I leave my bird at home, she's not much fun holiday....!

Old Mo will reuse the joke in a couple of weeks time!!!

I see I'm late to the party!!

Cheers James

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Poor bird in a cage for 3 months.
Not necessarily, there's no reason it can't be allowed to have a fly around inside a MH so long as the windows, doors and roof vents are all closed/only opened a little.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Not necessarily, there's no reason it can't be allowed to have a fly around inside a MH so long as the windows, doors and roof vents are all closed/only opened a little.
We never keep ours in its cage for longer than 3 days. I wouldn't open any window or vent even a little. There are youtube videos of budgies getting out of a kettle via the spout. Ours would take the slightest chance to escape from the van and disappear into the wild, where it would either starve or be predated very quickly. No homing instinct at all.

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
We took our African Grey all over Europe with no issues. Never asked for paperwork at anytime.
It was ringed and we had original sales invoice if it was requested.
Was in a large cage and roamed all over the motorhome when parked up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back