LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I'm not sure there is an option to self insure is there ? I was under the impression It was a legal requirement to use a recognised insurer under the Road Traffic act 1988
As far as I know firms like BT, post office who have thousands of vans self insure. Not sure how it works and if you have pay some sort of bond I'm not sure 9r indeed if its a thing of the past since they were privatised.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Well the renewal has just come in from Comfort £768 last year
£1024 this year😳😳

I've just had the renewal through for my car and the figures are similar. It was, in round figures, £740 last year and £980 this.

Our motorhome was north of £1,200 last year and no doubt will be a lot more when it falls due for renewal in November.

:(

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
There is one thing about the nfu they are not the cheapest by any means at the start but you can guarantee they won't be upping the price next year to the extent of some others, in fact mine has been known to go down.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
If you don't use comparison sites you will be ripped off. Hastings tried it with my car insurance this year, went up £150... "problems in the industry"... "excessive claims"... "not our fault" blah, blah, blah
They even primed me with an email a week before explaining rising costs, and very sorry 🙄

I rang them up to cancel the auto renew and after ten minutes and trying me at several price reductions, they miraculously matched the price, even matched legal insurance.

The van insurance has been with Staveley Head for 9 years now because they know I don't accept price hikes (they tried it on year 2 😁)

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I am fairly certain that companies can self insure under Road Traffic Acts provided half a million pounds has been lodged with the Chancery Division of the High Court. That may have changed in the restructuring of the courts system. A large company I worked for looked at it in detail back in the 1990's and decided that the loss to revenue of the deposit was greater than the insurance costs currently being paid.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
I am fairly certain that companies can self insure under Road Traffic Acts provided half a million pounds has been lodged with the Chancery Division of the High Court. That may have changed in the restructuring of the courts system. A large company I worked for looked at it in detail back in the 1990's and decided that the loss to revenue of the deposit was greater than the insurance costs currently being paid.
Correct.

I have worked for insurers (one locally to us meanders) who have their own deposit with teh high court for their staff policy.
That said, effectively you do have unlimited liability when you self-insure, the half a million is just a deposit to effectively prove you have moneies for any claim.

I doubt funsters would be able to stand the second part, the fact we'd all be on hook for unlimted liability rules me out.

That said ^ also applys to Llloyds of London underwriters too for their policies -> they also have substatial liability for claims.

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Correct.

I have worked for insurers (one locally to us meanders) who have their own deposit with teh high court for their staff policy.
That said, effectively you do have unlimited liability when you self-insure, the half a million is just a deposit to effectively prove you have moneies for any claim.

I doubt funsters would be able to stand the second part, the fact we'd all be on hook for unlimted liability rules me out.

That said ^ also applys to Llloyds of London underwriters too for their policies -> they also have substatial liability for claims.
Just got my car insurance renewal in. £602 last year. No changes. New price £892 WTF 😳😳😳

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Just got my car insurance renewal in. £602 last year. No changes. New price £892 WTF 😳😳😳
Probably why my stock holdings in auto insurers have been doing so well on the stock market recently. Thankfully this has more than offset the rises in insurance.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Your welcome 👍😂😂
In positives, I do expect the current rises to follow with a fall. Insurance typically runs in a cycle, we're just at top of this cycle now.

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
In positives, I do expect the current rises to follow with a fall. Insurance typically runs in a cycle, we're just at top of this cycle now.
Motorhome insurance only went up about £50. My motorbike insurance went down.

There is no justification for the car insurance to go up by this percentage. Pure greed

Obviously will be shopping around.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Motorhome insurance only went up about £50. My motorbike insurance went down.

There is no justification for the car insurance to go up by this percentage. Pure greed

Obviously will be shopping around.
It's to be honestly likely becuase Direct line's underwriter recoverying the last 2 years losses (they lost around 200 million on 2022-3). many insurers are just rebrands of Direct line/uk insurance ltd's underwriters.

They "massively" underpriced their insurance lines so as such got caught out, the CEO left etc, dividend cancelled etc.
Buying the stock when down like that -> it was obvious they had to increase prices to make profit, and as such was an investment opportunity.

May 10, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer B578
Exp
Just starting out
As far as I know firms like BT, post office who have thousands of vans self insure. Not sure how it works and if you have pay some sort of bond I'm not sure 9r indeed if its a thing of the past since they were privatised.
A few years back I worked at Argos/DHL doing home deliveries with heavier items, washing machines, wardrobes etc. I had a car being reversed out of a driveway which backed right into the truck I was driving. Got back to the yard and enquired abouut telling my insurance the next time I renew that I had an accident, Was told dont have to tell them as DHL are self governed. Whether that was rue or not, I dont know.

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
a bit of tinternet work this morning and got renewal down to £448 with Tesco.... phew a bit of a relief (y)(y)(y)(y)

to note - Aviva wanted £1020, Direct line wanted £950 and LV still wanted £680. All ridiculously silly numbers.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
a bit of tinternet work this morning and got renewal down to £448 with Tesco.... phew a bit of a relief (y)(y)(y)(y)

to note - Aviva wanted £1020, Direct line wanted £950 and LV still wanted £680. All ridiculously silly numbers.
No doubt all quotes underwritten by the same company 🤔🤔🤔

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
No doubt all quotes underwritten by the same company 🤔🤔🤔
Interestingly Tesco moved from using UK Insurance Ltd (Ie Direct Line) for majority of own insurance to underwriting it's own in 2021, so Tesco are always worth a quote.

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
The only answer is to do your homework every renewal for every policy, a pita to be sure.
I build a short crib list and use that to make sure that all my quotes are for the same details.
Boring and Sad but you have to play them at their own game. Oh and dont forget to go to the lowest and leave a silent pause, just to see what they CAN come up with.
Mike

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Maybe we could self insure. 3000 Funsters Paying 500 a year. Who wants to hold the cash?
This is allowed and is what some of the big bus companies such as TFL do.
Sadly, it has to be a bond held independently!
Cannot remember by who but probably, the Ministry of Transport, or whatever they call themselves these days? 🤔

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
It might be allowed but is fraught with difficulties. Who is going the do the admin and who will deal with any claims? How will the admin know if the claims are valid and reasonable? Start paying loss adjusters and that will soon be eaten into! What happens if one of us has a major incident and 3rd party claims in the million pound or more level come in (Loss of life, severe damage to buildings etc). Who would hold the liability if the fund did not cover claims? All participants jointly and severally meaning those with assets get chased at the expense of others with no assets? As said earlier, the company I worked for looked at it and decided against it. The primary reason was that the sums saved really didn't add up, but another concern was the liability issue possibly bringing down the company. .

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
But another concern was the liability issue possibly bringing down the company. .
When I worked for an insurer (who didn't really do auto but self insured their employee auto policies) they did get insurance against that possibility. It's possible to my understanding, but you need someone doing the admin very versed in insurance (which sin't me). I'd also say it'd need a lot more than 3000 policies to be viable. THe UK cover at my last employer had it viable at around 15k UK employees.

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
my renewal had gone up by around £300, I phoned them and had a moan and they knocked off another 5%, so now paying about £1220 which is not too bad for 4 vehicles

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
10 nicked or badly damaged carthagos or 5 or 6 Morelos and we'd need a whip round
Doesn't work like that. Self insurance is solely for 3rd party claims. Own damage you pay for yourself,as in most countries.
Self Insuring is a great idea Jim. No less than the MOD does(albeit on a grander scale) sadly 50 claims say @ £ 30,000 would wipe the fund out but there must be away to do it surely
As above.
Don't forget the FLT element on here that would crash and claim just to get their moneys-worth

😉 (I think)
As above solely for 3rd party claim.
I'm not sure there is an option to self insure is there ? I was under the impression It was a legal requirement to use a recognised insurer under the Road Traffic act 1988
There is NO legal requirement to have insurance. The requirement is that you can pay all 3rd party costs.

You deposit 500k with the attorney General. Interest used to be paid on the amount. You need more money if the claim was against you , similar to bring a Lloyd's "name" in shipping.

Oct 29, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Most of my life in one form or another
Just had renewal through for my motorbike with Bennets, gone up from 350 to 420. Extra year no claims so why?
Searched round and got same cover for 220 with Hastings premier.
Search search and search again.

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
Doesn't work like that. Self insurance is solely for 3rd party claims. Own damage you pay for yourself,as in most countries.

As above.

As above solely for 3rd party claim.

There is NO legal requirement to have insurance. The requirement is that you can pay all 3rd party costs.

You deposit 500k with the attorney General. Interest used to be paid on the amount. You need more money if the claim was against you , similar to bring a Lloyd's "name" in shipping.
back around 1979 i worked for post office telecomms and i think the bond amount for them was a million must be substantially more now for any large corporation

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back