Nov 22, 2018
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
S and L Apollo
Exp
Since 2018
Hi all.
Am taking my GSD girl into Holland from Hull via ferry. Not been since Brexit. Reading the regs looks like I can only take a small quantity of her tinned food and kibble. Anyone had any experience of problems taking dog food? Shepherd's have sensitive tums so reluctant to go without what she's used to.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Same here, food for our two in a cool bag in the boot area. Did cut the label off a smaller bag of salmon flavoured as you are not restricted on fish. šŸ˜‰.

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
Had many crossings since B. They aren't interested. If we cross by car we have a cooler in the boot, fully visible full of goodies, (our dogs eat bacon, sausages and eggs, they also eat M&S Steak pie), as do many others in the queue. This is by ferry not by train.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Similarly never had any checks for restricted foodstuffs, doggy or people. But many of the popular brands are available in the bigger supermarkets.

OP
OP
Durham's dad
Nov 22, 2018
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
S and L Apollo
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks for your responses. Reassured now. I don't think there'd be many staff wanting to enter the vehicle with my girl there anyway!

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Just keep in mind the one thing they do check, several times, is that the gas is switched off.

So if you want to keep your fridge cold, fill up several large fizzy pop bottles with water and freeze it at home.
Place it in your (prechilled) motorhome fridge, and everything will stay cold until you arrive in the netherlands

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Thanks for your responses. Reassured now. I don't think there'd be many staff wanting to enter the vehicle with my girl there anyway!
Don't bet on that for the return!

We found every motorhome was checked at Hoek of Holland for stowaways.
They check all the larger lockers, inside and out, the loo, under the bike cover etc

Jan 3, 2023
Whitby, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
From March 2023
We always take a 12kg & 6kg bag of dry food for our 2 dogs - never been checked leaving or returning to the UK. They only ever check the gas locker, so don't put dog food in there!

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
We have taken bags of dry kibble for our dogs and frozen meat in the freezer on the train with no problems but did have on our recent return to UK have the Border/Customs want to check our mh ā€¦garage and inside , they heard our dogs barking then asked to remove to outside the mh šŸ˜³ but when they saw they were crated sad it was ok to leave them where they were they even checked wardrobes and toilet compartment ..thankfully they didnā€™t check under the sofa locker as that is where the wine was šŸ«£šŸ˜œ
Kath

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Hi all.
Am taking my GSD girl into Holland from Hull via ferry. Not been since Brexit. Reading the regs looks like I can only take a small quantity of her tinned food and kibble. Anyone had any experience of problems taking dog food? Shepherd's have sensitive tums so reluctant to go without what she's used to.
We bring enough for 3 months. Nobody ever bothered to look so far

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Don't bet on that for the return!

We found every motorhome was checked at Hoek of Holland for stowaways.
They check all the larger lockers, inside and out, the loo, under the bike cover etc
Exactly! When we returned via Caen in May every van was searched.
We have a dog. They did ask whether he was friendly, but as part of their job they're obviously used to dealing with all types of dogs. If you have a dog with a strong guarding instinct, they'll just ask you to take it out of the van while they perform their checks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back