Stupid Stickers (1 Viewer)

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Should I put them on or not ! Will be travelling through France late May early June going near Bordeaux and maybe a couple of towns/city but not going into them with the van if I can help it , I will be stopping on sites/Aires mainly out of town.

Mar 21, 2022
Bradford, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 711
Exp
Since 2009
I just go with it, the law says fit them and I do, I know that probably 9 out of 10 motorhomes over 3.5t don’t, but why open yourself up to the chance of being pulled.

It’s no big deal to fit them and no big deal to remove when I get back.

As to whether they work, my guess they are a waste of time, but I do not make the rules.

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
The Angles Morts is indeed daft (in some cases) but if it's a law then thats that. I can think of plenty of equally dubious laws/rules. Germany: you can't hang your washing out on a Sunday or cut the grass. UK: you can get married at 16, but can't have a few drinks in a pub with your other half until 18. The list goes on............. It will become a little interesting if other countries go down the Crit Aire/Umwelt plakette route. I'm not looking forward to a window full of stickers! I currently have both, plus separate (non-stickered) low emissions authority for Brussels, Gent and Antwerpen. Talk about an administrative nightmare.

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2022
Bradford, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 711
Exp
Since 2009
The Angles Morts is indeed daft (in some cases) but if it's a law then thats that. I can think of plenty of equally dubious laws/rules. Germany: you can't hang your washing out on a Sunday or cut the grass. UK: you can get married at 16, but can't have a few drinks in a pub with your other half until 18. The list goes on............. It will become a little interesting if other countries go down the Crit Aire/Umwelt plakette route. I'm not looking forward to a window full of stickers! I currently have both, plus separate (non-stickered) low emissions authority for Brussels, Gent and Antwerpen. Talk about an administrative
Like the law in the UK whereby you can only buy 2 packs of Paracetamol at a time, I know the reason, but in all seriousness has it been proven it helps/works?

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The obvious challenge is to fix them securely so they don't fly off and disappear up the Autoroute whilst travelling at higher speeds or in high winds.
... or get nicked by someone who likes the look of them but doesn't want to shell out for them!

We carry them, never used them. Been through police checkpoints too. You'd be extremely unlucky to get pulled up for missing stickers. HGVs are different, they all have them.
HGVs don't all have them, we saw loads when we were away earlier this year and travelling down/up France that didn't have them. Saw cop cars go by and none got pulled.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
The real point is that they are both completely pointless, but to answer part 2:-

The angles mortes look horrible and if you leave them on for long periods especially in sunnier climes they are likley to damage paintwork.

My issue with the Crit D'air is that you are voluntarily entering your vehicle details onto their database. Of course if they really want it they will get it but it will require more effort.

Like the law in the UK whereby you can only buy 2 packs of Paracetamol at a time, I know the reason, but in all seriousness has it been proven it helps/works?
As a paramedic I would say in my experience it does help. If someone is determined to kill themselves they will go to a number of shops, but in my experience they often don’t.

Upvote 0

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.

Yes.

In this study, the UK research team investigated the long-term impact of the legislation on poisoning deaths (especially suicides) in England and Wales, and on the number of patients admitted to hospital for liver failure.

The group found a significant decrease in deaths involving paracetamol. The estimated average decrease in the number of deaths was 17 per quarter compared with the expected number based on what was happening during the pre-intervention period. This resulted in an overall decrease of 43% in the number of deaths in the 11 year post-legislation period.

Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
I have a 7m motorhome and tow a car, Do I need them?

Dunno. What is your moho plated MGW?

I also towed a car and so I queried this with the French version of the Department of Transport. Got a very quick and very pleasant response.

It is the weight of the towing vehicle, not the length, gross train weight or train length. Stupid really. You can tow a 1500kg, 5m trailer with a 3500kg, 7.5m moho, that totals twelve metres long, and you don't need one. But if you are a 3700 kilo, 6m moho, then you do.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Tonbridge
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
But no one has explained yet what harm they do.
Especially critair why would you want to take it off, it belongs to the van not the owner.
If you stick it directly onto the windscreen you will have to apply for a new one if the windscreen is replaced, as it would be very difficult to remove. I have mine inside a tax disc holder.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

I also towed a car and so I queried this with the French version of the Department of Transport. Got a very quick and very pleasant response.

It is the weight of the towing vehicle, not the length, gross train weight or train length. Stupid really. You can tow a 1500kg, 5m trailer with a 3500kg, 7.5m moho, that totals twelve metres long, and you don't need one. But if you are a 3700 kilo, 6m moho, then you do.
Exactly! A huge trailer with blind spots doesn't need them but a rigid Motorhome without side blind spots does.

Is the logic that cyclists need stickers to warn them not to rear end vehicles?

Upvote 0
May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985

Thankyou.
We are 3500kg 7m tow is 1000kg so no stickers required.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Why would you want or need to remove a crit air sticker....?

Especially critair why would you want to take it off, it belongs to the van not the owner.
My 3 are all on a perspex sheet as far better than to have to replace them when I replace the windscreen,which needed replacing when I bought the van 5 years ago. :giggle:
And visible evidence for being liable to pay more than Classe 2 on the péage!
I'd put them on under 3,5t just to annoy them.

Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 597
Exp
Since 2019
my thought is this . . . . . .

A They advertise to the Police at Toll Booths, that you are over the 3.5T limit for class II tolls.
They also advertise that you are not an overweight 3.5Ter

Upvote 0

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
Crit air stickers should be fixed directly to the glass. If you remove one they are void.

They cost coppers.

I'm amazed that folk owning multi thousand pounds motorhomes would baulk at the idea of shelling out a few euros in the unlikely event they need a new one if the windscreen needed replacing.

(And I thought I was tight)

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
That's one reason why these things are stupid, all this was probably caused by cyclists and motorcyclists trying to squeeze through gaps that they shouldn't , most trucks that don't have them on have a warning triangle on their blind side ,but it's down to the individual "do I feel lucky today"

Upvote 0

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I doubt they will, because even the dumbest of those governments is clever enough to know that these stickers actually are stupid and won’t save a single life

Interestingly whilst in Italy last week i noticed several Italian based haulage trucks that had angles mort stickers on, nothing odd in that. But theses were in Italian language 😂 wonder if the French really do care at all.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
People ae forgetting that Crit'Air stickers are only required if entering towns/cities that either have permanent emissions zones, e.g. Paris, Lyons etc. or ones which are authorised to impose such zones IF pollution levels reach certain criteria. In those towns one must display the sticker at any time.

Outside those designated towns the stickers are not required, but it is probably easier to have one than remember all the towns where they are required.

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Do not bother about any emissions stickers, mainly do Germany and have a German built van that has a build date on it so they can work that out bye themselves!!
Angle Mortz, apart from the odd stop in Gravelines it’s straight from the tunnel to Belgium most of the time so not going to faf about just for the few miles,

Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Officially yes ... on the MH though not the car! 😄

Hi Mel,

It's about weight, not length (story of my life) as confirmed to me by the La sous-direction de la sécurité et des émissions des véhicules (The French Vehicle Safety and Emissions Sub-Directorate).

Monsieur bonjour,

Ce poids de 3,5t est à considérer par véhicule et pas pour l'ensemble de véhicules. Si le véhicule à moteur à un PTAC de moins de 3,5t il n'aura pas d'obligation de signalisation angles morts, même si le PTAC de l'ensemble Véhicule tracteur + remorque dépasse 3,5t.

Cordialement.

Which translates as:

Hello sir,

This weight of 3.5t is to be considered per vehicle and not for all vehicles. If the motor vehicle has a GVWR of less than 3.5t it will not be required to provide blind spot signaling, even if the GVWR of the tractor vehicle + trailer combination exceeds 3.5t.

Sincerely.

Upvote 0
Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
Do Electric cars have stickers on them to show that they are electric and the fact that you cannot hear them.
Surely these are more of a hazard than a bloody big diesel engined box coming down the road.

Even then I don’t understand what difference a sticker would make.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back