Starlink ordered… I feel it’s the only sensible option now.. (13 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
Probably a bit more than twice as costly as a similar speed domestic broadband with the advantage that you can take it anywhere and pause it when you don't need it. We have 350 Mbit/s from Virginmedia at home, but in many areas people are still limited to 35 Mbit/s over copper or at most 75 Mbit/s where they can get fibre to the cabinet.

Jul 6, 2018
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
burstner brevio t640
Exp
Since 2010
We have Roam, use it at home and on the road. At home ( we live in the sticks) we were getting a max of 9 Mbit/s everything hung with the circle of doom. Now at home average is 170, we are currently 5 weeks into a European tour. France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany now back in France max speed has been 230, min in Black Forest was 70. Roam has been a game changer for us. I know it’s at a cost, but it’s a cost I’m willing to pay. We were paying £38 to Vodafone for a speed that had dropped by 50% over the years.

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
We have Roam, use it at home and on the road. At home ( we live in the sticks) we were getting a max of 9 Mbit/s everything hung with the circle of doom. Now at home average is 170, we are currently 5 weeks into a European tour. France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany now back in France max speed has been 230, min in Black Forest was 70. Roam has been a game changer for us. I know it’s at a cost, but it’s a cost I’m willing to pay. We were paying £38 to Vodafone for a speed that had dropped by 50% over the years.

That’s the problem and the brilliance. We are reliant as it’s so brilliant, we can’t use it as easily now as Starlink think Europe is different to the US, which it clearly isn’t for Roam users. 😤

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
That’s the problem and the brilliance. We are reliant as it’s so brilliant, we can’t use it as easily now as Starlink think Europe is different to the US, which it clearly isn’t for Roam users. 😤
Europe is different from the US. There are different countries with different pricing. This difference in pricing was being abused. That is the only reason I can see for them implementing the change.

People were buying in Spain and using it in the UK for example saving money for themselves and adding to the congestion in the UK market that wasn't funded.

Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
Europe is different from the US. There are different countries with different pricing. This difference in pricing was being abused. That is the only reason I can see for them implementing the change.

People were buying in Spain and using it in the UK for example saving money for themselves and adding to the congestion in the UK market that wasn't funded.
Then the over 60 days in a non-home country prohibition should only apply if you are using a cheaper contract in a more expensive country.

I can see no justification for this for people with the most expensive deals, i.e. those who have taken out contracts in the UK, using Starlink in cheaper countries for as long as they want.

If they were to level the playing field by dropping UK prices then fair enough.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Then the over 60 days in a non-home country prohibition should only apply if you are using a cheaper contract in a more expensive country.

I can see no justification for this for people with the most expensive deals, i.e. those who have taken out contracts in the UK, using Starlink in cheaper countries for as long as they want.

If they were to level the playing field by dropping UK prices then fair enough.
Complexity of billing. Having a single set of rules per region makes it much easier to manage.

Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
Complexity of billing. Having a single set of rules per region makes it much easier to manage.
They have already brought considerable complexity upon themselves by differing pricing regimes across Europe. The new country, as opposed the region specific rules, are just adding complexity seemingly to address the anomalies caused by that.

These pricing variations are supposedly to address uneven demand and the uneven infrastructure investment required to cater for it across Europe. A nonsense really as most UK residents signing up to Starlink are not using it in the UK anyway. Maybe someone should explain that to Elon. If he's the genius he is supposed to be then he should have no trouble grasping that.

However, they have a much simpler charging regimes across the US and I am sure they have greatly differing demand profiles across different parts of that region, but I am not aware of any variations in pricing to address that there?

I think the reality is just charging what the market will bear. No different to the car manufacturers who priced higher in the UK and called the UK Treasure Island! So much so that I did a personal import from Holland of the base vehicle for one of my campers, enabled by EU rules forcing car companies to supply RHD vehicles via any EU country. Those were the days! The EU didn't just crack down on bent bananas, but bent suppliers too! 😄

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back