Starlink ordered… I feel it’s the only sensible option now.. (6 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
It keeps reoccurring with me, the ‘may’ terminology… they would be bloody fools, which despite this ill conceived policy, I don’t see them as, if they were to say you’re paying £96 per month, you need to swap registration to the country your spending more time in, most likely Spain for me and pay us 60% of what you were paying.

Surely that won’t happen, will it?? 😱

If I were using a Spanish service and spending all my time in the UK or D, then yes, it makes absolute sense. Solves their tariff avoidance users!

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
It keeps reoccurring with me, the ‘may’ terminology… they would be bloody fools, which despite this ill conceived policy, I don’t see them as, if they were to say you’re paying £96 per month, you need to swap registration to the country your spending more time in, most likely Spain for me and pay us 60% of what you were paying.

If I were using a Spanish service and spending all my time in the UK or D, then yes, it makes absolute sense. Solves their tariff avoidance users!
It would make no sense, but these are Americans and said policies will likely be applied automagically by a billing system configured by them - hopefully with logic as you describe.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014

What if you take your “May” and apply it to 2 months in a country.
2 months in France move to Spain 2 months and so on. With American logic who knows .

I think we won’t find out until early next year and we see people either cut off or continued use

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Dish 1 - contract date 13th

Dish 2 - contract date 28th

Just an example of the flexibility ...

Unpause Dish 1 on the 28th, immediately pause - payment is for 15 days only

Unpause Dish 2 on the 13th, immediately pause - payment is for 15 days only

And it is aimed at minimising costs and actually allows me to only pay for a max of 15 days, preferably less if I needed to activate for a short period. There are far too many different configurations and permeations to explain in full. Of course you can also get away with only paying for 1 days use if you only have 1 dish aswell, it's about timing (and the fact that I bought two dishes when they were £99)

Yes, pretty much as I described. Once you go past those initial unpause/pause sessions you pay a full month for each subsequent month until the final part month of your trip. 👍

Ian

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
More comms from me and SL.
Sounds more promising

IMG_9002.jpeg

IMG_9007.jpeg

IMG_9007.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
Do you need a fixed address ? (is it compulsory)to do this or can you just open another account on the same dish when you get in that country? As you don’t need delivery.
Just a thought.

My thinking is that as all correspondence is by email I will use a campsite address in the new country to re register my dish.

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Do you need a fixed address ? (is it compulsory)to do this or can you just open another account on the same dish when you get in that country? As you don’t need delivery.
Just a thought

Opening a new account will mean $200 as the hardware will have moved countries…

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
My thinking is that as all correspondence is by email I will use a campsite address in the new country to re register my dish.
This would be the icing on the cake wouldn’t it. You have your dish. Pick a campsite in Spain. Any will do. Get starlink at almost 50% of uk prices and away you go.
Turn on when you travel down through France. Reset when you get to Spain. Into Portugal then reset on way back through Spain.
Jobs a good un :ROFLMAO:

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
Is the change from “region” to “country” a change being imposed through the US Government so that they can keep track us better or other conspiracy theories?

Rather than just revenue.

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Is the change from “region” to “country” a change being imposed through the US Government so that they can keep track us better or other conspiracy theories?

Rather than just revenue.

Revenue…. But they’ve not thought it through for the high tariff countries like UK and D ‘Roaming’ into the rest of Europe.

Works for Spain, France, Portugal using in higher tariff zones as it provides control for tariff avoidance.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Yes I get it as you’re not opening a new account. The scenario posted by Fragle would (probably) incur the fee!

How are you going to ‘do it all over email’? 🤪
Why would I incur a fee? Transfer my current account to Spain surely the same as going to a Greece account. I’m not opening a new account.

Sep 28, 2017
Bakewell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Morelo
Exp
Absolutely gone Starlink - nothing else compares. We go to a lot of festivals - so many people on 4G etc that sometime cannot even send a text.

I got a tip that the cost of the hardware for Starlink sometimes drops to £250 - half normal price. It did - i bought it. I have the roam package - slightly more expensive - BUT - you can pause it. £85 pm but i only use 3 months a year. Then pause at no cost. 100mb plus. Game changer if you need to be in touch and want to multiple stream to many devices. BTW - buy when the price drops - you don’t have to turn it on until you are ready. I bought last November - turned it on this June.

Only found out about it as we were running an event - that coincided with a sports event everyone wanted to watch - had a huge screen - old tech would not work reliably - a guy said - here - link to my Starlink. Stunning.

Aug 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
Dethleff
Now that the Camino (Tiekom) service has had its day and the continued roaming data challenges, as well as crappy data service in the UK, I’ve had enough of pratting around as I just want always on, full service broadband wherever I am.

So, the solution (I hope) is a Starlink Roam order was placed today. £460 for the hardware, £95 per month for the service. I know some may consider this expensive but I will no longer need a data tariff SIM in the UK for the Netgear, nor will I need the Tiekom data SIM for between 5 and 8 months per year and I can knock back the Popit SIMs to 10Gig each, so the difference is not that great really.

I’ve worked out a spot on the roof where I will be fitting a small frame to mount the dish whilst parked up. It will be a couple of mins job to climb ladder and four wing nuts to secure, connect the cable and job is done!

The cable will be permanently installed through the roof into my existing media cupboard and at present I will power from my main inverter, but I may switch to a small 250w Victron pure sine wave inverter just for this in the future, so I don’t have to leave the main inverter on all the time.

Starlink quote around one KWh of power consumption per day. The peak power consumption is 75w and average consumption seems to be in the 35w range (230v power ratings). Many North American RV users are suggesting that the power consumption is way better than Starlink suggest and better than they expected.

A new feature from Starlink should help with power use as you can set ‘night periods’ where the system shuts down during set hours to reduce power consumption. I’ve ordered and will fit another 200w solar panel to augment the existing solar. I actually needed a larger Amperage Victron MPPT and some bigger cable to the batteries as well, so not the cheapest exercise… 🤦‍♂️

I’ve purchased a compact almost purpose designed electrical box to store the 75ft cable in on the roof when travelling. This will enable me to move the dish from the roof to the ground should I have obstacles obstructing the dish, but very easily without too much faff.

Will try and document a ‘how I did it’ incase it is of interest and or use to others and will of course let everyone know how good (I hope) this is…..

🤞 the expectation and promise from Starlink matches real world performance. Watch this space! 🤪
The Starlink Roam infers that you are only allowed 2 months away from your home country of registration then it may end up being paused..in the T&Cs. Any feedback on this would be good as I was considering it for ourselves but being limited and having to then go back onto data sims seems a bit of a no go.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Absolutely gone Starlink - nothing else compares. We go to a lot of festivals - so many people on 4G etc that sometime cannot even send a text.

I got a tip that the cost of the hardware for Starlink sometimes drops to £250 - half normal price. It did - i bought it. I have the roam package - slightly more expensive - BUT - you can pause it. £85 pm but i only use 3 months a year. Then pause at no cost. 100mb plus. Game changer if you need to be in touch and want to multiple stream to many devices. BTW - buy when the price drops - you don’t have to turn it on until you are ready. I bought last November - turned it on this June.

Only found out about it as we were running an event - that coincided with a sports event everyone wanted to watch - had a huge screen - old tech would not work reliably - a guy said - here - link to my Starlink. Stunning.
I don’t think anyone here disagrees. But dependant on your use you may change your mind with new pricing and restrictions.

The last few pages will give you an idea

Jun 20, 2021
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer I
Now that the Camino (Tiekom) service has had its day and the continued roaming data challenges, as well as crappy data service in the UK, I’ve had enough of pratting around as I just want always on, full service broadband wherever I am.

So, the solution (I hope) is a Starlink Roam order was placed today. £460 for the hardware, £95 per month for the service. I know some may consider this expensive but I will no longer need a data tariff SIM in the UK for the Netgear, nor will I need the Tiekom data SIM for between 5 and 8 months per year and I can knock back the Popit SIMs to 10Gig each, so the difference is not that great really.

I’ve worked out a spot on the roof where I will be fitting a small frame to mount the dish whilst parked up. It will be a couple of mins job to climb ladder and four wing nuts to secure, connect the cable and job is done!

The cable will be permanently installed through the roof into my existing media cupboard and at present I will power from my main inverter, but I may switch to a small 250w Victron pure sine wave inverter just for this in the future, so I don’t have to leave the main inverter on all the time.

Starlink quote around one KWh of power consumption per day. The peak power consumption is 75w and average consumption seems to be in the 35w range (230v power ratings). Many North American RV users are suggesting that the power consumption is way better than Starlink suggest and better than they expected.

A new feature from Starlink should help with power use as you can set ‘night periods’ where the system shuts down during set hours to reduce power consumption. I’ve ordered and will fit another 200w solar panel to augment the existing solar. I actually needed a larger Amperage Victron MPPT and some bigger cable to the batteries as well, so not the cheapest exercise… 🤦‍♂️

I’ve purchased a compact almost purpose designed electrical box to store the 75ft cable in on the roof when travelling. This will enable me to move the dish from the roof to the ground should I have obstacles obstructing the dish, but very easily without too much faff.

Will try and document a ‘how I did it’ incase it is of interest and or use to others and will of course let everyone know how good (I hope) this is…..

🤞 the expectation and promise from Starlink matches real world performance. Watch this space! 🤪
Starlink has not long ago released the Mini, complete with a roof mount. And it works great btw.
Until I get it installed to the roof of the motorhome during my next dealership appointment it’ll be freestanding, currently in the windscreen whilst parked up.
The mini works by 12v too so there’s no need to use the mains or an inverter either.

Jul 11, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp

Great option if ignoring the cost.
I have a 3 Sim and for £2 per day you get unlimited subject to fair usage policy. It seems to up the usage alot when creating a hotspot, so what i did for this trip is buy an Orange sim for 16. 50 Euros.For one month you grt 150 gigabytes plus text and SMS plus phone number . It covers the whole of the EU.. They have just brought this out and it seems a good deal

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Just thought I would continue to probe Starlink

I know it’s a bot but these a different answers.

Are they backtracking.
IMG_5799.jpeg
IMG_5800.jpeg

Look it now says continent not country. (y)

Could be a realisation that they made a mistake

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Still waiting for a reply to my 2 month query.
My T&C's still show 'country' not 'continent'.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back