Starlink ordered… I feel it’s the only sensible option now.. (4 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
in my case as an early adopter, i only paid £99 for each starlink, so im not complaining ..... i also did recognise and believe that prices would increase and am willing to accept the new pricing strategy, mobile use also actually benefits me .....

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Imagine being in Luxembourg , Malta, San Marino etc.....surely not
That’s the exact reason why this is wrong.

It would create an enormous problem for Musk if he told Americans state only.

Along with the fact that we also pay more than anyone else per month

I’m almost as p****d off as Carpmart. That takes some serious effort on this subject :ROFLMAO:

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Thanks Fred… never say never but it’s $200 flat fee applied to my account if I transfer countries with a dishy. 😢
Isn't that for ones purchased in another region eg USA and then activated in Europe, again for example.

Messenger_creation_F9B7E2E8-D498-4EFB-BC2F-9B7A33044DA4.jpeg

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Isn't that for ones purchased in another region eg USA and then activated in Europe, again for example.

View attachment 949012

Yes but we’ve been discussing for the last two days how Europe doesn’t exist as a regional concept to Starlink anymore. I can’t see how a dishy purchased in the UK as a home country won’t have the $200 tax applied when I connect it in Spain!

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Yes but we’ve been discussing for the last two days how Europe doesn’t exist as a regional concept to Starlink anymore. I can’t see how a dishy purchased in the UK as a home country won’t have the $200 tax applied when I connect it in Spain!
I guess we have to ask them then?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 19, 2019
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
Am I missing something? :unsure:

You are on holiday in a foreign land exploring the riches to behold. Most are of an age where old books and guides such as 'all the aires', 'camperstop' etc from the pre smart phone/satellite link era and are probably collecting dust as we old blokes don't throw things away in case we need them in the future.

As we do when driving in unknown places, get to a junction with no idea 'turn left' and see where it takes us. Have found many roads untravelled in countries around the world.

So don't get het up about a bit of tech some greedy bar steward wants to get greedier on, take a leap of faith.

Next we'll hear of blokes showering and shaving every day, ironing shirts. Good heavens you're on holiday, not a timetable.

HTH :rolleyes:;):cool:
You’re not self employed then! 🤣

My wife is and she has to keep up with work while on holiday, including taking calls and video conferencing.

We all have different needs. One size doesn’t fit all.

Nov 4, 2022
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
Since 2005
You’re not self employed then! 🤣

My wife is and she has to keep up with work while on holiday, including taking calls and video conferencing.

We all have different needs. One size doesn’t fit all.
Used to be, when I was oft away from home Sun to Fri for approx 9 months a year, then take a month to go travel to far off destinations with no communications, no e-mail, no mobile phone after once being plagued with communications trying to get me to start another project whilst on holiday in Florida. The idea of not being connected whilst on holiday was most appealing (y)

I did spend nearly 30 years living to work always away from home in different parts of the world for 91 nights at a time. Anyone who did that will understand the significance of the number of nights. Means to an end and very fortunate to have seen and done so much. (y) Very few would do that, as you say we all have different needs and wants.

On my last 11 months afore retirement (y) wfh, 4 days/week, behind a screen on teams/zoom most days. Looking forward to doing lots of MH trips, but not permanently connected. A simpler way of life, hopefully. :rolleyes::love:

Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
No, and the T&Cs that you subsequently posted confirms this. 👍

Not sure if your subsequent post is acknowledging this or not. 🤔

Ian
Of course although that addresses the start of a trip, there is still an issue if you arrive back only a week or two into your billing cycle because you have already paid for the whole month.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
How… would love to speak to them!!! 🤪
Raise a ticket is the only way as far as I know.
"Hi, I am a very upset user from the UK considering relocation to Spain as your tariff is cheaper there, can you please advise if there is a cost to relocation? BTW if you hadn't screwed us over on changing "roaming" I wouldn't be doing this".... last bit may need editing 🤣

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
Raise a ticket is the only way as far as I know.
"Hi, I am a very upset user from the UK considering relocation to Spain as your tariff is cheaper there, can you please advise if there is a cost to relocation? BTW if you hadn't screwed us over on changing "roaming" I wouldn't be doing this".... last bit may need editing 🤣
You would think they might have honoured existing contracts for roaming? Like many others, whether I was in France (home location for dishy) or back in the UK I never paused service. I will now though!

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
there is still an issue if you arrive back only a week or two into your billing cycle because you have already paid for the whole month.

It’s always been like that though and, well, that’s a judgement call as to whether you pause early and lose a few days service or pay full whack for those days.

Ian

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..

FCC not happy with Starlink Monopoly…

Like utilities and cellular, it would make sense for the world to force Elon to not necessarily own the end customer. A service provider layer between the infrastructure owner/operator and us customers would create competition.

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
Reply from Starlink…and a further question from me.
IMG_8983.jpeg

IMG_8985.jpeg

IMG_8986.jpeg

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
A super fast reply from Starlink.

IMG_8987.jpeg

IMG_8988.jpeg

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Starlink are replying fast today by the looks of it. So definitely country of registration only. But you can take it to the USA if you want
I have pointed out the restrictions compared to the USA and ask this to be raised at a higher level. Suppose we will just have to wait and see what happens 🤬
1726299037143.png

1726299136194.png

1726299218289.png

1726299356318.png

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Even then it might be cost effective for some, but I now see why you would much rather buy a Spanish one in the first place.

What I am thinking is buying another Gen 2 and not actuating it until 14 days after my other ones 'contract' date, so I can stagger their 'pause' option. Of course it would prob be easier just to swap the dish with someone so both parties can do it, knowing they're getting a working dishy and not a faulty one. My two currently have contracts on the 6th and 13th of each month, I assume that one 'purchased' second hand would have it's new contract date set when reactivated...

We have two accounts, one in my name the other in SWMS's name. Two separate bank accounts. If I stopped one of the accounts for a period and then opened another starlink account using a different starlink and different bank account from the other two, then I believe it will commence from the date of actuation...

I could be in the market for another Gen 2 but would prefer to do a swap for my other non modded Gen 2 rather than buy one and then sell my original. it might work for the other person aswell if they're thinking of using two, with 15 days between contract dates. Having 15 days between also allows someone to activate their dish and pay for just the 15 days or even a potentially shorter period as you are charged proportional to the next contract date, so long as you pause as soon as you restart the period. Great if you go away for just a week or potentially even just a few days ...

Further to my meandering yesterday I contacted starlink (bot) and asked (summarised questions and responses, but I have saved screenshots of the full responses)

Q - If I buy a second hand starlink, will the actuation date for the contract be the same as when originally activated?

A - no it will commence from the date when you activate the account

Q - can I sell my starlink to someone at the same address that it is already registered to

A - yes

Q - is there a cost incurred when transferring ownership

A - No

So, I'm now considering just 'selling' the one registered to SWMS to me, then I can change the contract date to 15 days between them both. I can then just activate either of them for a 'half month' period (15 days)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
This is from the App

How does pause service work?

The option to pause service is available only to Mobile (Regional/Global) and Mobile Priority service plans. Other service plans have the option to cancel service, and in most areas can be reactivated later.

It states pause is only available for Regional/Global ...... So Regions must still exist .... ???

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Further to my meandering yesterday I contacted starlink (bot) and asked (summarised questions and responses, but I have saved screenshots of the full responses)

Q - If I buy a second hand starlink, will the actuation date for the contract be the same as when originally activated?

A - no it will commence from the date when you activate the account

Q - can I sell my starlink to someone at the same address that it is already registered to

A - yes

Q - is there a cost incurred when transferring ownership

A - No

So, I'm now considering just 'selling' the one registered to SWMS to me, then I can change the contract date to 15 days between them both. I can then just activate either of them for a 'half month' period (15 days)
Just a thought.

Can 2 people have accounts on the same Starlink address?

Not sure if this has been asked. Because you could use one for 2 months close and activate second account.

Correct me if I’m wrong (y) :ROFLMAO:

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
This is from the App

How does pause service work?

The option to pause service is available only to Mobile (Regional/Global) and Mobile Priority service plans. Other service plans have the option to cancel service, and in most areas can be reactivated later.

It states pause is only available for Regional/Global ...... So Regions must still exist .... ???
They obviously do. This from my earlier post

Yes, the 2-month limit applies to using Starlink in a different country
outside of the one you signed up for.
You can travel unrestricted within European regions

Again they say 2 months limit then state you can travel in European regions unrestricted.

I firmly believe they have no f****g idea

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Just a thought.

Can 2 people have accounts on the same Starlink address?

Not sure if this has been asked. Because you could use one for 2 months close and activate second account.

Correct me if I’m wrong (y) :ROFLMAO:
Yes, we do! I have one and SWMS has one. Your suggestion was my workaround if needed and by changing actuation dates by selling/buying I would be able to just do 15 days or less at any one time ....

As I mentioned earlier, anyone with two dishes on different contracts could take just one router, leads etc and two dishes to get four months, which I know wouldn't suit everyone but it might help others

I also believe this will all be resolved when they look at it properly.

As we don't usually use starlink in the UK AND if it costs nothing to change registered address, it seems to make sense to reregister in a country with lower fees ....

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Yes, we do! I have one and SWMS has one. Your suggestion was my workaround if needed and by changing actuation dates by selling/buying I would be able to just do 15 days or less at any one time ....

As I mentioned earlier, anyone with two dishes on different contracts could take just one router, leads etc and two dishes to get four months, which I know wouldn't suit everyone but it might help others

I also believe this will all be resolved when they look at it properly.

As we don't usually use starlink in the UK AND if it costs nothing to change registered address, it seems to make sense to reregister in a country with lower fees ....
Ok so I now understand what you are thinking.

I was thinking on one dish though. Not got the room for 2

Another question is how the reset works. If you’re in Europe and you’re cut off. Does that mean you get back to uk and have to pay £96 to reset by turning it on at home and if like me you don’t use in 🇬🇧 wasted £96. ?

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Ok so I now understand what you are thinking.

I was thinking on one dish though. Not got the room for 2

Another question is how the reset works. If you’re in Europe and you’re cut off. Does that mean you get back to uk and have to pay £96 to reset by turning it on at home and if like me you don’t use in 🇬🇧 wasted £96. ?

As I have one dish already 'minimised' in size and intend doing the other, the room they take is quite small, in fact our avtex TV takes up more space than my starlink ....

Not sure re the reset and I suppose time will tell ... remember they state they 'may' require you to reregister, which if you don't use it in the UK might actually save you money !!

It's all whispers and rumours until it happens, but my head is telling me that it will all be resolved sensibly....

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
then I can change the contract date to 15 days between them both. I can then just activate either of them for a 'half month' period (15 days)

Is this strategy just aimed at minimising the charge in the month at the end of your trip when you pause the service?

The months between the first month of your trip (pro-rata cost) and the last month will still be charged at full cost.

Or am I missing the benefit that you are seeking?

Ian

Sep 19, 2019
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
Having read the Starlink replies, I think they are saying that if your Starlink is registered in the UK, you can tour around the EU for as long as you want so long as you don’t spend more than 2 months continuously in any one EU country.

They don’t address why the UK is being ripped off on the monthly subscription. I guess that comes down to supply and demand.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Is this strategy just aimed at minimising the charge in the month at the end of your trip when you pause the service?

The months between the first month of your trip (pro-rata cost) and the last month will still be charged at full cost.

Or am I missing the benefit that you are seeking?

Ian

Dish 1 - contract date 13th

Dish 2 - contract date 28th

Just an example of the flexibility ...

Unpause Dish 1 on the 28th, immediately pause - payment is for 15 days only

Unpause Dish 2 on the 13th, immediately pause - payment is for 15 days only

And it is aimed at minimising costs and actually allows me to only pay for a max of 15 days, preferably less if I needed to activate for a short period. There are far too many different configurations and permeations to explain in full. Of course you can also get away with only paying for 1 days use if you only have 1 dish aswell, it's about timing (and the fact that I bought two dishes when they were £99)

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
More messages from SL about changing the ‘service address’.
Much hassle and a $200 fee.

IMG_0607.jpeg

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
They really don’t get our Region not country problem.

Imagine if the US was per state not per region… it’s all about tariff avoidance, which I completely get commercially, but they will force consequences and loss of revenue from users who want (need) to retain the service…

None of the Starlink (Space X) execs I’m second linked to on LinkedIn have accepted my connect requests yet!

HeyHo, back to my post yesterday and the two dish shuffle… 🤬

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back