Starlink ordered… I feel it’s the only sensible option now.. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
So the new Gen 3 (new Standard kick stand one) who knows much about them?

Is the cable a standard cat 6 connecting the Starlink to the standard router? Will my 12v conversion, using the PoE injection from the boondockers board work without modifications? Will I be able to use my TP link router or are there some smarts in the gen 3 router now?

I think Oleg Kutkov has done some work on the Gen 3 on his latest blog. I think he's converted it to 12v. Haven't had chance to read and digest it fully yet, though he did say opening it up was more difficult than Gen 2 but can be done carefully, it may be that he needed to be able to reassemble in the same configuration which may have been the issue?

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
If it's reregistered to a different address, would the rates of that location then apply?
If so then for those of us who only use starlink in the EU it might be worth exploring as a win win rather than doom and gloom.

Another alternative for those staying three months at a time, those with two Starlinks could take them both (just the dish as the router can be used with any dishy - I've tried it and it does) and use one for two months, then the other for two months ...even easier if the dishes are stripped down and motor removed, then reassembled into a more compact housing, no need to convert to 12v etc as all your doing is replacing the case.

I did not answer your first question!

You can change the geographical location your Starlink is registered in but it costs $200 USD to do so.

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I think Oleg Kutkov has done some work on the Gen 3 on his latest blog. I think he's converted it to 12v. Haven't had chance to read and digest it fully yet, though he did say opening it up was more difficult than Gen 2 but can be done carefully, it may be that he needed to be able to reassemble in the same configuration which may have been the issue?

I guess he’s looking at the purist PCB level of conversion. I was just interested in a plug and play approach, if it can be done?

I guess the simplest is to stick with a Gen 2 and find a second hand one in Espania!

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
I did not answer your first question!

You can change the geographical location your Starlink is registered in but it costs $200 USD to do so.
Even then it might be cost effective for some, but I now see why you would much rather buy a Spanish one in the first place.

What I am thinking is buying another Gen 2 and not actuating it until 14 days after my other ones 'contract' date, so I can stagger their 'pause' option. Of course it would prob be easier just to swap the dish with someone so both parties can do it, knowing they're getting a working dishy and not a faulty one. My two currently have contracts on the 6th and 13th of each month, I assume that one 'purchased' second hand would have it's new contract date set when reactivated...

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
How accurate is their location finding?
The dish has a GPS chip in it so I suspect they know exactly where you are down to the last meter.

I was in Hendaye SW France and it was on Spanish location, so maybe not that accurate? Probably 2 miles to border as the Crow flies.

Depends on how you figured out the country? If you are using IP address, then that is not a reliable method and will at best tell you the country of the base station that issued you your IP address.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
There is some 'bleed' re the GPS location, I think it can be a few miles. The GPS isnt that good either, I was thinking of changing the original out but am now thinking that someone might come up with a way to 'trick' the GPS when it's sending it's location .... If that's at all possible of course ...

Last edited:

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
How accurate is their location finding?
I mean if you live on the border of 2 euro countries
They have hexagons drawn within circles of a radius of 15 miles.
Here is an example of one of them in Bavaria.

I guess they try and map the country IP address to the cell, so within 15 miles of a border you could be in any adjacent country! This also explains the coastal coverage definitions.

Cheers

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
They have hexagons drawn within circles of a radius of 15 miles.
Those are just cell areas. That is just so they can set the maximum number of users per area so individual satellites don't get overloaded trying to service too many users per area.. More a billing side thing than a technical where are you thing.
They will restrict sign ups in a cell area or restrict the speed of roaming users in the cell to protect the speed of static installs.

Edit: That is my understanding anyway. SpaceX know EXACTLY where you are due to the GPS built into the dish.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Can any of the Spanish Starlink users help me out please?

Anyone got a Gen 2 dishy that they would like to sell? Happy to pay a decent price and you could then upgrade to Gen 3 hardware or a Mini if you’d prefer!?

Yours hopefully… 🙏
No sorry . No deals on at the moment either

Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
Can any of the Spanish Starlink users help me out please?

Anyone got a Gen 2 dishy that they would like to sell? Happy to pay a decent price and you could then upgrade to Gen 3 hardware or a Mini if you’d prefer!?

Yours hopefully… 🙏
I have a Gen 2 that I will be selling when we return from the current trip, but it is in the UK, though currently not associated with any account as I put it through the transfer process once I had my Mini up and running.

My experience with adding the Mini to my account showed that if you already have another dish on your account the new one will get the same billing date, so I am not sure how you would get staggered billing dates without creating a separate account.

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I have a Gen 2 that I will be selling when we return from the current trip, but it is in the UK, though currently not associated with any account as I put it through the transfer process once I had my Mini up and running.

My experience with adding the Mini to my account showed that if you already have another dish on your account the new one will get the same billing date, so I am not sure how you would get staggered billing dates without creating a separate account.

Thanks Fred… never say never but it’s $200 flat fee applied to my account if I transfer countries with a dishy. 😢

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
This whole Starlink thing is really peeing me off! I’ve been googling in preparation for attempting to get hold of a person in Starlink to understand why they have adopted an anti UK (Europe) approach. Do they understand what they are actually doing? Is it apathy, incompetence or irrelevance driving this change in business terms?

The UK if it were a US state would be the twelfth largest state. The whole of Europe (excluding Russia) is almost exactly the same size as the USA (exc Alaska). Imagine the uproar in the US if ‘Roam’ (the name is peeing me off too now!) was restricted to individual states. 😱

Starlinks wording around their roam offering is, “Roam’ (🤬) is particularly suited to nomads travelling in their RV’s”. Not anymore in Europe it isn’t you Fcukwits! 🤬

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
So I’ve just sent some LinkedIn connects out to several executives in SpaceX-Starlink that I’m 2nd connected to… see if anyone accepts my link requests then see if anyone will answer a few questions… 🙄

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp

We have two accounts, one in my name the other in SWMS's name. Two separate bank accounts. If I stopped one of the accounts for a period and then opened another starlink account using a different starlink and different bank account from the other two, then I believe it will commence from the date of actuation...

I could be in the market for another Gen 2 but would prefer to do a swap for my other non modded Gen 2 rather than buy one and then sell my original. it might work for the other person aswell if they're thinking of using two, with 15 days between contract dates. Having 15 days between also allows someone to activate their dish and pay for just the 15 days or even a potentially shorter period as you are charged proportional to the next contract date, so long as you pause as soon as you restart the period. Great if you go away for just a week or potentially even just a few days ...

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
Since 2005
Am I missing something? :unsure:

You are on holiday in a foreign land exploring the riches to behold. Most are of an age where old books and guides such as 'all the aires', 'camperstop' etc from the pre smart phone/satellite link era and are probably collecting dust as we old blokes don't throw things away in case we need them in the future.

As we do when driving in unknown places, get to a junction with no idea 'turn left' and see where it takes us. Have found many roads untravelled in countries around the world.

So don't get het up about a bit of tech some greedy bar steward wants to get greedier on, take a leap of faith.

Next we'll hear of blokes showering and shaving every day, ironing shirts. Good heavens you're on holiday, not a timetable.

HTH :rolleyes:;):cool:

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..

You are on holiday in a foreign land exploring the riches to behold. Most are of an age where old books and guides such as 'all the aires', 'camperstop' etc from the pre smart phone/satellite link era and are probably collecting dust as we old blokes don't throw things away in case we need them in the future.

As we do when driving in unknown places, get to a junction with no idea 'turn left' and see where it takes us. Have found many roads untravelled in countries around the world.

So don't get het up about a bit of tech some greedy bar steward wants to get greedier on, take a leap of faith.

Next we'll hear of blokes showering and shaving every day, ironing shirts. Good heavens you're on holiday, not a timetable.

I appreciate your sentiment but travelling for nine months at a time, you can’t treat it as all holiday time!

Unfortunately I am dependant on connectivity which is impossible to easily achieve whilst living nomadically, by other means!

I’m assuming when you are not on holiday, you do more ‘normal’ thing too, like laundry, washing, streaming a film on a cold winter evening, connecting with family and friends, maybe via a video call or stay on top of your finances through a bit of banking! Unsurprisingly I need to do all this too, just I am doing it whilst travelling! Hence my need for ubiquitous, always on internet access!

HTH’s 🤪🤣🙄

Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
We have two accounts, one in my name the other in SWMS's name. Two separate bank accounts. If I stopped one of the accounts for a period and then opened another starlink account using a different starlink and different bank account from the other two, then I believe it will commence from the date of actuation...

I could be in the market for another Gen 2 but would prefer to do a swap for my other non modded Gen 2 rather than buy one and then sell my original. it might work for the other person aswell if they're thinking of using two, with 15 days between contract dates. Having 15 days between also allows someone to activate their dish and pay for just the 15 days or even a potentially shorter period as you are charged proportional to the next contract date, so long as you pause as soon as you restart the period. Great if you go away for just a week or potentially even just a few days ...
Not sure I understand what you are trying to do there. As far as I understand the only situation where you will pay pro rata for a partial month is when you add a second dish to an account with an existing dish and therefore existing billing date in which case the new dish only gets charged up to the billing date. Thereafter you can only pay for whole months regardless of when in the billing cycle you unpause.

Maybe you are thinking of having a third dish and continually deactivating it from one account and then adding to the other part way through a billing cycle. If so then that sounds like way too much admin to me!

Sep 30, 2021
South West, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
2yrs in & over 20% of nights 'out'
Didn't you all spend lots of money, upfront, on locked-to-one-company hardware, based on T&Cs which stipulated a 'Regional' (Europe) tariff? (in which case, it might be worth pursuing a formal complaint /challenge).

Or was there a 'we can change what we like, when we like' condition that you all missed? 🤷‍♂️

Either way, based on all the hassle being experienced, speculation on what is happening, convoluted workarounds being contemplated, inconsistent/inexplicable/unexplained changes of T&Cs, lack of clarity on situation, or response to your queries...

and despite being ready to buy in to Starlink...

I think I'll just have to wait for some viable competition to arrive or for there to be some regulatory input (not that any EU rules would impact UK users, nor is it something Elon tends to care about anyway) :unsure:

Yet again, early adopters pay the price (I'm just glad I'm not one of them this time!)

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
As far as I understand the only situation where you will pay pro rata for a partial month is when you add a second dish to an account with an existing dish

No, whenever you un-pause the service, you pay pro-rate to the end of the billing period.

Ian

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp

Your take on how you spend your leisure time is no doubt what works for you .... Not sure why you would question why someone else wants to do what they want to do and spend their time doing things that they want to do .....

Although I don't believe blokes will ever start showering every day, whether they smell 'Musky' or not ... 😁😁😁

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
No, whenever you un-pause the service, you pay pro-rate to the end of the billing period.

Ian
Exactly, so if your billing period only lasts for a week until the next one starts, you only pay for a week, but you must remember to pause again as soon as you've unpaused it!!

Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB

Ian
Not what I understood from the terms and conditions. I believe regardless of when in the cycle you pause it you get service until the end of that cycle. However it appears that when you unpause you pay for the whole of the cycle you are in even if it is only a few days until the end of that cycle.

That strikes me as very unfair, and I would be pleased to find that I am wrong about that. Can you point to any information on the Starlink website that would confirm that?

Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
Thanks Fred… never say never but it’s $200 flat fee applied to my account if I transfer countries with a dishy. 😢
So I guess that means that the serial number of the dish still reflects the country where it was purchased. I can understand them charging to prevent importing from a country where the hardware is cheaper, but the UK seems to be one of the most expensive so what they are really doing is a restraint of trade in the secondhand market. Not sure if that is even legal.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
However it appears that when you unpause you pay for the whole of the cycle you are in even if it is only a few days until the end of that cycle.

No, and the T&Cs that you subsequently posted confirms this. 👍

Not sure if your subsequent post is acknowledging this or not. 🤔

Ian

Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
No, and the T&Cs that you subsequently posted confirms this. 👍

Not sure if your subsequent post is acknowledging this or not. 🤔

Ian
Yes, hence my comment of good news!

Not sure where I found the incorrect info, but I definitely either read it online or heard it in a YouTube video.

May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
I can’t help feeling this is Americans not understanding what they’ve done with this change. The vast majority don’t have a passport and have never been outside their own country. Many have never been outside their own state. They have no concept of Europe. I worked for a US company for over 30 years so I’m used to their ignorance of anything outside of the USA.
My experience too. The most surprising was speaking to a woman, in her mid-40s I guess, attending a conference in a Florida hotel overlooking the Gulf. She seemed mesmerised by it. Turned out that was the first time she'd ever seen the sea with her own eyes.

Dave

Nov 4, 2022
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
Since 2005
but many on this thread use it for 'work'
Confused of roundabout city :cool:

In my earlier post I referred to holiday and got 🔥🔥🔥 , my interpretation of responses to my rhetorical question posed with an :unsure: emoji as is the etiquette of internet forums.

A much earlier post on this thread had this extract, clearly explaining strictly for low demand, portable, non commercial use:
1726243479344.png

To my simple mind the conditions are quite clear. Wot is that old faithful term of contract law? contra proferendum, seems to fit here.

But wot would I know, only being a holiday making owner of a MotorHome on a MotorHome Fun forum?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back