Starlink ordered… I feel it’s the only sensible option now.. (9 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Off a mate in Germany after he pushed for clarification.

“To further clarify, if you are traveling longer than 60 days outside of the original European country (DE), then your service will be restricted until you return to your home land.”

So it looking like it bricks after 2 months away or "un restricting it" will come at a further cost?

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004

“To further clarify, if you are traveling longer than 60 days outside of the original European country (DE), then your service will be restricted until you return to your home land.”

So it looking like it bricks after 2 months away or "un restricting it" will come at a further cost?
thanks

Not good

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014

Ok so this is at least an answer we can understand.

But imagine you have Starlink in somewhere small Belgium for instance. What is the point of Starlink then?. If this is Europe wide imagine how many are going to bin it and not bother?

The subscribers paying will fall through the floor

We will keep the kit just in case it changes if true and will look for something else next year for data. Bit of a pain but to be honest I don’t think I want to even give him 2 months money. They don’t deserve our custom.

Sep 19, 2019
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t

I can’t help feeling this is Americans not understanding what they’ve done with this change. The vast majority don’t have a passport and have never been outside their own country. Many have never been outside their own state. They have no concept of Europe. I worked for a US company for over 30 years so I’m used to their ignorance of anything outside of the USA.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
To use an American phrase, "it sucks". People have invested in the hardware to get expensive but good access to data across a continent, swallowing a rate increase is personal choice and justification...or not. Changing the rules after significant investment is not good, especially as the UK seem to pay the highest rate in Europe. We are currently away and when home I too will pause the service and assess the situation next January before the winter trip. To finish with an Brummie expression..."they is taking the piss!".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Really doesn’t sound good! However, We are reacting to bits of information second or third hand. I need hard facts to work out what I do next…

Vansflyer - can we get a bit more from German buddy, like what question was asked by them, the whole response etc?

Mr Mousy - any further replies to your ticket?

I simply can’t stomach going back to 4G/5G so I need to sort a way of working with Starlink!!!

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Really doesn’t sound good! However, We are reacting to bits of information second or third hand. I need hard facts to work out what I do next…

Vansflyer - can we get a bit more from German buddy, like what question was asked by them, the whole response etc?

I simply can’t stomach going back to 4G/5G so I need to sort a way of working with Starlink!!!
I believe we all feel the same.

I’ve been going through some of the t&cs and I’m sure they are still changing things as this is quite clear to me

• Countrywide coverage within country of account address

IMG_5787.jpeg

They must be using dynamic terms and conditions?

Also reading that it says 2 months per trip.

Keep your trip to 2 months and then you return and reset?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Can any of the Spanish Starlink users help me out please?

Anyone got a Gen 2 dishy that they would like to sell? Happy to pay a decent price and you could then upgrade to Gen 3 hardware or a Mini if you’d prefer!?

Yours hopefully… 🙏

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Can any of the Spanish Starlink users help me out please?

Anyone got a Gen 2 dishy that they would like to sell? Happy to pay a decent price and you could then upgrade to Gen 3 hardware or a Mini if you’d prefer!?

Yours hopefully… 🙏
I bet there are some for sale on Spanish selling sites ... Just checked on eBay.es and there are quite a few Gen 2's for sale, no doubt there will be a few on marketplace aswell?

If you think it's a way around the perceived issue, can't you just reregister to a Spanish address? Our two are registered at the same UK address, one to me and one to SWMS. On that basis, why can't you have multiple registrations at one address?

I'm still on the side of the 'May restrict use' as opposed to will .....

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class

First question.
“Based in Germany I am a nomadic traveller. My European travels by RV are often longer than 2 months and routinely with at least 2 months in one or more other country to that in which my starlink is registered. Your Regional Roam Tarif fit my use case perfectly. Now none of your Tarifs seem to work for me. How do you recommend I practically manage my internet connectivity with Starlink now?”

SL first response.

“Starlink Mobile Service Plans are designed for temporary use while traveling, rather than for long-term use in a single location outside of the country you signed up for. According to our Terms of Service, if you use Mobile Service Plans in a country different from where you originally signed up for more than 60 days, you would need to update your registered address to your new location or return to your original service location.”
My mate to me.
"I have reopened the ticket, attempting to clarify my scenario, and to seek their advice in this context."

SL response... the Slam Dunk.

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Consider if just for one month of use, I decide to use mobile data rather than Starlink… you’ll lose £96 of revenue and it would then take another 8 months of my usage to regain that over the difference of the previous price of £85.
Good point, ive been very lazy not pausing my service, in fact I haven't for the year I've had it, despite at least one 3 month block of non use, I'll damn well make sure I do now!!

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
Shouldn't effect me. Dishy lives in France (not rented out). 72 euro a month, used for 2 weeks last year in UK over Christmas and toured for just under 2 months Spain and Portugal this year. To me it's worth the extra 22 euro rise. Would definitely think twice if it was UK based.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
I believe we all feel the same.

I’ve been going through some of the t&cs and I’m sure they are still changing things as this is quite clear to me

• Countrywide coverage within country of account address

View attachment 948614

They must be using dynamic terms and conditions?

Also reading that it says 2 months per trip.

Keep your trip to 2 months and then you return and reset?
That is how I read it, 2 months and back to home before starting again.

Do you think a Gen 2 will fit in Ryan Air hand baggage? If 12v conversion fitted to van.....Leave mains router at home and return with dishy for 24 hours powered up and then fly back to the sunshine... Not ideal but just thinking about all options.
Or as previously suggested get two units with one on pause and swop over on a billing date?

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
If it's reregistered to a different address, would the rates of that location then apply?
If so then for those of us who only use starlink in the EU it might be worth exploring as a win win rather than doom and gloom.

Another alternative for those staying three months at a time, those with two Starlinks could take them both (just the dish as the router can be used with any dishy - I've tried it and it does) and use one for two months, then the other for two months ...even easier if the dishes are stripped down and motor removed, then reassembled into a more compact housing, no need to convert to 12v etc as all your doing is replacing the case.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
That is how I read it, 2 months and back to home before starting again.

Do you think a Gen 2 will fit in Ryan Air hand baggage?

My dishy in its new housing is 30cm x 51.5cm x 5cm (I could reduce the 5cm measurement if I removed the router board from inside the housing) - so yes it would fit into hand luggage - I'm sure RogerIvy carried his in hand luggage in his way back from Africa - different airline of course, but shows it can be done.

As mine is fully 12v Inc internal router it might be an option to consider .... It can be powered from a car cigarette lighter ...

Screenshot_2024-09-13-09-39-46-417_com.android.chrome.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I’ve been planning! 😇

Assuming my service IS going to be restricted, then I will buy a Gen 3 (the new Standard Dishy) in Spain. My brother has two houses there so easy enough!

It’s €72 per month for unlimited Roam. €349 for the kit..

Our modus operandi at the moment is nine months touring in Europe in one trip. My plan at the moment is to use Spanish Starlink more of the time than my current UK Starlink with that only used for a day when leaving the UK and for the two months before they stop the service. So that’s two months at £96. That dish then goes suspended until the following years trip.

I get the Spanish one out and instate the Roam service whilst in Northern Spain. We then use around Spain and into Portugal or Italy or Greece etc until we run out of the two months. Then use 200G (two Popit phones) to tether until we get back into Spain. Use the Spain Starlink for four months or so over winter, then head into France where we can use the Spain Starlink for another two months through France going home. So 7 months use at €72.

Right pain in the arse BUT means the hardware cost is covered in the first year.

Other than the dish shuffling hassle for me I actually end not losing out financially… Starlink are down on revenue of what would be 12 months @ £96 (£1152) I haven’t suspended the service ever, opposed to the new way of working equalling; 2 months @ £96 and 7 months @ £60 (€72) Total £612 so their loss of £500 revenue!

What a ridiculous policy to implement for a UK high tariff customer. 🤬

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
With a monopoly, Starlink know this.

Yeah but my working solution (should they implement this ridiculous policy) post #2481 results in a revenue loss of £540 per annum to Elon…

I think whatever they do or don’t do with regard to UK (high tariff users) roaming to other countries, I’m getting a Spanish Starlink…

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
I'll be knocking at least £285 off my annual bill thanks to them putting the price up and making me think about it, this price increase is going really well for them :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I vote for Carpmart to be our representative on the Starlink UK (and elsewhere) ducking, dodging and diving committee

Nice one Harvey!

I’m merely trying to find a solution to their ill conceived policies! 😇

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
So the new Gen 3 (new Standard kick stand one) who knows much about them?

Is the cable a standard cat 6 connecting the Starlink to the standard router? Will my 12v conversion, using the PoE injection from the boondockers board work without modifications? Will I be able to use my TP link router or are there some smarts in the gen 3 router now?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
How accurate is their location finding?
I mean if you live on the border of 2 euro countries

For the tweaker & modders, would running somesort of VPN Geo spoof your location ?
Like folk do to watch Eastenders on BBC in Benidorm

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only

For the tweaker & modders, would running somesort of VPN Geo spoof your location ?
I was in Hendaye SW France and it was on Spanish location, so maybe not that accurate? Probably 2 miles to border as the Crow flies.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
So going forward are we suggesting 2 starlink kits now?
I was considering buying the mini anyway then selling the gen 2.
Maybe wait for a deal with the mini?

We don’t have the option of a Spanish address but are awaiting the arrival of my Maltese passport for longer travel although I was thinking 2 months at a time anyway few weeks at home and go again so the reset they have put in may work out for me.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007

I know little of Starlink, would it depend on the ground station you connect through?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back