Starlink ordered… I feel it’s the only sensible option now.. (14 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
it seems on Reddit that a lot of countries havent had this notification, and some had it take effect back in March April.

and then Bard says this (though I dont trust Bard, will wait to see what the members here who have opened support tickets say)

Yes, England is considered part of the EU for Starlink's terms as a country.

Even though the United Kingdom officially left the European Union (EU) on January 31, 2020, many aspects of EU law still apply to the UK, especially during a transitional period.

This means that for services like Starlink, which are likely regulated by EU laws, England would still be considered within the EU context.

I hope my guess is correct and it’s a clause to enforce should tariff avoidance be detected. 🤞

I’m two weeks into the current Europe tour so I guess I will find out in six weeks or so… 🙃

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
it seems on Reddit that a lot of countries havent had this notification, and some had it take effect back in March April.

and then Bard says this (though I dont trust Bard, will wait to see what the members here who have opened support tickets say)

Yes, England is considered part of the EU for Starlink's terms as a country.

Even though the United Kingdom officially left the European Union (EU) on January 31, 2020, many aspects of EU law still apply to the UK, especially during a transitional period.

This means that for services like Starlink, which are likely regulated by EU laws, England would still be considered within the EU context.
It depends when bard took it's training data. For instance Grok is very new so it's training data is from this year so will give different answers than ChatGPT where more recent data is not in the training set.

That to me sounds like Bard is either using old data or is making assumptions.

Dec 1, 2020
Brassempouy, south west France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B878 SL
Exp
Since Feb 2020
Now that the Camino (Tiekom) service has had its day and the continued roaming data challenges, as well as crappy data service in the UK, I’ve had enough of pratting around as I just want always on, full service broadband wherever I am.

So, the solution (I hope) is a Starlink Roam order was placed today. £460 for the hardware, £95 per month for the service. I know some may consider this expensive but I will no longer need a data tariff SIM in the UK for the Netgear, nor will I need the Tiekom data SIM for between 5 and 8 months per year and I can knock back the Popit SIMs to 10Gig each, so the difference is not that great really.

I’ve worked out a spot on the roof where I will be fitting a small frame to mount the dish whilst parked up. It will be a couple of mins job to climb ladder and four wing nuts to secure, connect the cable and job is done!

The cable will be permanently installed through the roof into my existing media cupboard and at present I will power from my main inverter, but I may switch to a small 250w Victron pure sine wave inverter just for this in the future, so I don’t have to leave the main inverter on all the time.

Starlink quote around one KWh of power consumption per day. The peak power consumption is 75w and average consumption seems to be in the 35w range (230v power ratings). Many North American RV users are suggesting that the power consumption is way better than Starlink suggest and better than they expected.

A new feature from Starlink should help with power use as you can set ‘night periods’ where the system shuts down during set hours to reduce power consumption. I’ve ordered and will fit another 200w solar panel to augment the existing solar. I actually needed a larger Amperage Victron MPPT and some bigger cable to the batteries as well, so not the cheapest exercise… 🤦‍♂️

I’ve purchased a compact almost purpose designed electrical box to store the 75ft cable in on the roof when travelling. This will enable me to move the dish from the roof to the ground should I have obstacles obstructing the dish, but very easily without too much faff.

Will try and document a ‘how I did it’ incase it is of interest and or use to others and will of course let everyone know how good (I hope) this is…..

🤞 the expectation and promise from Starlink matches real world performance. Watch this space! 🤪
Unless I'm mistaken, Starlink in France is presently 250 euros + 45 euros each month. It used to be higher but there were very few takers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Im clinging to the same stat,
a guy from Florida can jump over to georgia, and have no change
but a guy from Egypt can jump the border to lybia will have to stop service ?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Also it’s not 2 months return reset go again it’s 2 months a year. I may well have it for the 2 months but then your going to have no choice are you?
Lateral thinking. buy 6 all roaming ,pause 5 run one for two months then pause & activate another ,continue forever
My solution will be to get a Spanish version, which I can use for 4-5 months of the year in Spain and roam into France and Portugal, then suspend the service the rest of the time.
(y)
Surely to get a Spanish version would require address email phone numbers based in Spain. This would be a good option if we can.
Can be anyones address .just need an address to get delivery then register it at some random address you pick driving down a road.long as they have a bank account to take the poppy from no one is the wiser until Juan Estrella Enlace ,who lives at the address you picked, wants one?:LOL:
We need a funsters address in Spain that can accept multiple Starlink deliveries :ROFLMAO:
not a problem but you'd have to register at a neighbours
Not seen anything for my static version, still £75 a month. Hope they don't raise that as I have come to rely on it as the 4G here is unreliable to be polite about it.
I received an email this morning stating that Starlink , as from 10/10/24, are changing T&C's but based on my location my 'plan' will be getting a new name ? Nothing else.
I used to be on the standard plan at 40€/month plus 9€ access fee.
When I was going to the UK & wanted to pause I found you can't except on roaming BUT I could change my plan to "deprioritised" at 29€ + the 9€ & since retrurning we have stayed on that as it is plenty fast enough for the wife's streaming.
Unless I'm mistaken, Starlink in France is presently 250 euros + 45 euros each month. It used to be higher but there were very few takers.
Isn't France the same as Spain at 40€?

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Just got this.
Thank you for being a Starlink customer. We are making changes to your service plan and price in order to deliver an improved Starlink experience.

Effective immediately, you will have access to the following features with Starlink Roam:

In-Motion Use
International Travel
Coastal Coverage

To support these enhancements and our ongoing network improvements, your monthly service price for Starlink Roam will be GBP 96. The updated monthly price and new Terms of Service will go into effect starting 10/10/2024.

Dec 1, 2020
Brassempouy, south west France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B878 SL
Exp
Since Feb 2020
Lateral thinking. buy 6 all roaming ,pause 5 run one for two months then pause & activate another ,continue forever

(y)

Can be anyones address .just need an address to get delivery then register it at some random address you pick driving down a road.long as they have a bank account to take the poppy from no one is the wiser until Juan Estrella Enlace ,who lives at the address you picked, wants one?:LOL:

not a problem but you'd have to register at a neighbours

I received an email this morning stating that Starlink , as from 10/10/24, are changing T&C's but based on my location my 'plan' will be getting a new name ? Nothing else.
I used to be on the standard plan at 40€/month plus 9€ access fee.
When I was going to the UK & wanted to pause I found you can't except on roaming BUT I could change my plan to "deprioritised" at 29€ + the 9€ & since retrurning we have stayed on that as it is plenty fast enough for the wife's streaming.

Isn't France the same as Spain at 40€?
It could very well be. We considered Starlink some time ago, as internet reception in SW France is poor even with fibre. It may be lack of bandwidth in the village, but I'm only a user, not a expert.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Hmm, just got the email. Apparently only a possible name change for me that is all it seems?

1726066947971.png

Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
Hmm, just got the email. Apparently only a possible name change for me that is all it seems?

View attachment 947748
What is your location then?

I paid for expensive hardware and took out an expensive regional roaming plan for Europe to use with it. How is it regional roaming if you can only use it for 2 months per year in non UK European locations? Sure, if you are not happy with new terms and conditions you can cancel your plan, but that doesn't get you a refund on the hardware!

In better news we crossed the Pyrenees into Spain and found a campsite in Lumbier, near Pamplona and this shows the speed we are getting - a new record high for my Mini dish!

Screenshot_20240911_172552_Starlink.jpg

May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
What is your location then?

I paid for expensive hardware and took out an expensive regional roaming plan for Europe to use with it. How is it regional roaming if you can only use it for 2 months per year in non UK European locations? Sure, if you are not happy with new terms and conditions you can cancel your plan, but that doesn't get you a refund on the hardware!

In better news we crossed the Pyrenees into Spain and found a campsite in Lumbier, near Pamplona and this shows the speed we are getting - a new record high for my Mini dish!

View attachment 947777
Good point, well made, worthy of a complaint, I suggest accompanied by a figure of a map of European countries overlaid on the USA.

Dave

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
Basically apology for price rise. Did not even make an attempt to answer questions asked
Same reply here…

IMG_8968.jpeg

So I’ve asked the question again…

IMG_8969.jpeg

Do we have anyone on Fun who uses Starlink with 1,000,000 plus followers on X who can get a direct line to Elon?🙂

Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
Maybe Musk is reluctant to anger the authorities in the EU, as that can get expensive as Apple and others can testify. Probably thinks he can get get away with charging the UK more and giving us less than people in other European countries. Maybe OFCOM would look at this, but I won't hold my breath.

Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
Same reply here…

View attachment 947798
So I’ve asked the question again…

View attachment 947801

Do we have anyone on Fun who uses Starlink with 1,000,000 plus followers on X who can get a direct line to Elon?🙂
Martin Lewis the financial guru may not be a Starlink user, but he could certainly get Starlink a whole lot of adverse publicity over this if he could be persuaded to take an interest in it.

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
Having read a few more of the t&c it looks as if we had a “region” plan i.e. Europe that has now changed to a “country “ plan i.e. UK. Time will tell if they enfore the change in the meantime we’ll carry on as normal.

Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
Just had a look on the Starlink website and got the following which seems to be saying you get unlimited roaming in your home country and up to 2 months per trip for international use. You also now get in motion use which worked for us this afternoon in Spain. See link below.

Screenshot_20240911_192027_Chrome.jpg

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Just had a look on the Starlink website and got the following which seems to be saying you get unlimited roaming in your home country and up to 2 months per trip for international use. You also now get in motion use which worked for us this afternoon in Spain. See link below.

View attachment 947866
The changes certainly do not suit us and our use unfortunately.

I have unlimited phone at home in the uk. It works ok and if I can’t do something because of a poor signal I can do it tomorrow when I move. I don’t really need Starlink in the UK.
But in Europe it’s different. Messing around with sims etc I really can’t be bothered. I’m in my 5th month this year in Europe. Starlink works for me. I’ve just looked and last month I used 265gb. That will cost on sims anyway then there’s the time messing around different shops.

We are ok on this trip as we return just as new rules start. I will be watching with interest what happens to everyone and if they do apply it.

Next trip is 3 months again in January to Portugal and I’ll probably use the phone data first before starting Starlink for last 2 months

That covers that trip and hopefully it may change before the following trip later 2025

It is really annoying because Starlink works £95 is stupid but I would have paid because it works. I’m hopeful something or someone will find a work around before the next trip.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Who needs it in the UK when most can get unlimited data for a third of that. For us it was for Europe but if now restricted to 50gb then it's no better than my sim option as I can get more than that on my old sim contract. Starlink must feel confident in doing this though else they wouldn't of done it. Maybe they want to get rid of some customers as if so this will work.
A third, lol, more like £5/mo for Three and £10/mo on EE. More like near 80 quid a month less. Costs less for a YEAR on Three than a month on Starlink already.

Many such deals available but none of them roam (mostly all on amazon too).

Starlink we will get eventually but only for proper rural roaming. If anything mobile data is getting cheaper (and faster) at same time too as celluar networks add capacity in congested places (assuming you have the 2024 kit to receive those newer frequencies).

Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
Mobile networks are cheaper but I am no longer willing to suffer the vagaries of coverage and roaming restrictions these entail. I am willing and fortunately able to pay the Starlink premium for the convenience and consistency it provides, even more so now that we have the Mini.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I also received the email but can't see an increase in the price ... ??

The following paragraph seems to be aimed at those buying in one country and then using it another PERMANENTLY?? It says they MAY require you to move your registered address .... Would that be an issue to move your registered address?? For those staying for three months over the winter somewhere, would it be simple enough and then swap the address over again?

'If you use Roam Unlimited Services for more than two months in a calendar year in a country that is different than your account address, Starlink may require you to move your registered address to your new location or return to the country listed as your account address.'

I also think that this is aimed at those who 'rent out' their starlinks for travel abroad ...

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I also received the email but can't see an increase in the price ... ??

The following paragraph seems to be aimed at those buying in one country and then using it another PERMANENTLY?? It says they MAY require you to move your registered address .... Would that be an issue to move your registered address?? For those staying for three months over the winter somewhere, would it be simple enough and then swap the address over again?

'If you use Roam Unlimited Services for more than two months in a calendar year in a country that is different than your account address, Starlink may require you to move your registered address to your new location or return to the country listed as your account address.'

I also think that this is aimed at those who 'rent out' their starlinks for travel abroad ...

As I have mentioned a couple of times… I hope is about tariff dodgers, buying in a cheap country in Europe and consuming the service in the expensive country… buy in Spain and use in UK.

The other way around, will just lead to revenue erosion for them as I will register in Spain and pay way less. We only used it for two weeks in the UK this year!

Actually, as I type this, I realise I’m the fool and I really must switch to a Spanish address. 🤪

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
As I have mentioned a couple of times… I hope is about tariff dodgers, buying in a cheap country in Europe and consuming the service in the expensive country… buy in Spain and use in UK.

The other way around, will just lead to revenue erosion for them as I will register in Spain and pay way less. We only used it for two weeks in the UK this year!

Actually, as I type this, I realise I’m the fool and I really must switch to a Spanish address. 🤪

Is it actually possible to switch to a Spanish address and then pay less ....? Perhaps it's an option and how would they know anyway?

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
I have tried switching registered address to a different country in the past, but it wouldn't allow it, so unless this restriction has been removed I guess after 2 months it can't be used until back in home country.
If this becomes case it's rather pointless me buying a starlink for a 3 month trip. Will just buy local sims instead on arrival, as we don't want a huge tour, will just be doing Spain.

Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
Maybe it is a case of trying to have a few days with the dish active in the UK after returning from a trip, but if you are pausing between trips whether this is practical will be very dependent on your billing date. If you can run it in the UK after returning it will prove to the Starlink overlords that you are actually based in the UK. However given the disparity between EU and UK Starlink tariffs I don't know why anyone would be pretending to live in the UK if they don't!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back