Starlink ordered… I feel it’s the only sensible option now.. (10 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Sorry to say a double kick in the balls.. as only 2 months travel now and likely needs to go "home" for a reset.

View attachment 947546

You’re confusing two different things. Roam is allowed across one’s home region, for us that’s the whole of Europe.

If I should want to go ‘International’ to say Asia, I can now use it in that region for up to two months.

At least that’s how I read it! 🤷‍♂️

Edit: Just looked at the other posts. This could really screw us up! 🤬

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
You’re confusing two different things. Roam is allowed across one’s home region, for us that’s the whole of Europe.

If I should want to go ‘International’ to say Asia, I can now use it in that region for up to two months.

I hope I am wrong but It says country not region....

20240911_095947.jpg

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014

Fair point. I hope you are correct.

Needs clarification from customer service

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
I’ve just raised a Starlink ticket - let’s see what they say…

‘Currently I can use my Roam Unlimited plan anywhere in my region (Europe), the new Starlink conditions show a limit of two months per year away from your home country. Is that correct? We spend about 6 months per year in our RV in Europe (2 x 3 month periods). How will the new conditions affect us? Thanks’

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Well spotted I had not looked any deeper into the t&c.
Let’s see what happens after our two months away from home…I looks as if I will need to give an updated address. So that will be a campsite somewhere in Europe - maybe I’ll then be charged €72 per month rather than £96.
View attachment 947567

I wonder what the ‘may’ phrase means?

Again, assumptions being the mother of all fxxxups, I am assuming this is to stop cheaper tariff users from say Spain or France having their home country set there and then using it exclusively in the UK (higher tariff area) for example… so in effect to stop users tariff evading…

I’m guessing, but I like my logic! 🤣🤪

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014

‘Currently I can use my Roam Unlimited plan anywhere in my region (Europe), the new Starlink conditions show a limit of two months per year away from your home country. Is that correct? We spend about 6 months per year in our RV in Europe (2 x 3 month periods). How will the new conditions affect us? Thanks’
I’ve just done the same.

I’ve also asked about the mini dish 50gb as this may be a cheaper option now as £46 cheaper per month if you don’t need it for a particular month.

I asked if you could upgrade to unlimited for the rest of the month if you want and then revert to your normal 50gb the following month

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002

I'll also be watching with interest. £96! ...... but almost guaranteed strong internet connection rather than iffy mifi.

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Email received this morning.

Effective immediately, you will have access to the following features with Starlink Roam:

• In-Motion Use
  • International Travel
  • Coastal Coverage

I think we all got it! There are about 20 posts above on the effect of the changes described in the email. ✔️

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
The whole issue here is the Starlink service, if you need what it provides, as many posting on this thread do, is just too good/convenient/reliable!

It’s like crack cocaine, we’re all hooked, there are no viable or lower cost alternatives, so we carry on using!

What’s the alternative? SIM juggling with varying degree of effective 4G and 5G coverage. No thanks!

Cancel and go ‘cold turkey’! No thanks!

Thats it then… gunna have to suck it up! 🤬

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
But what to do if the "international roaming" is limited to just 2 months annually?
Finger crossed they mean outside home region, not country.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
I wonder what the ‘may’ phrase means?

Again, assumptions being the mother of all fxxxups, I am assuming this is to stop cheaper tariff users from say Spain or France having their home country set there and then using it exclusively in the UK (higher tariff area) for example… so in effect to stop users tariff evading…

I’m guessing, but I like my logic! 🤣🤪
IMG_5776.jpegIMG_5777.jpeg
I know it been posted but reading this I fear the worst and don’t understand their thinking behind it. I suppose it works well in the USA. Very large countries etc but for the United Kingdom it’s not good.

It does state within country of account address and also international travel for up to two months.

That will make it useless for me if that’s the case and for many other people.

I also see the low demand non commercial use in there.
So no longer able to work on the road then? Also what about all these YouTube people surly that comes under commercial use? They make money from it so will they have to have an upgraded account?

It’s bloody annoying having found a perfect solution for travel for this to happen
I'll also be watching with interest. £96! ...... but almost guaranteed strong internet connection rather than iffy mifi.
It’s not just the £96 though is it.

The restrictions potentially being imposed will make it useless for many people. Especially those retired who travel. Even those in Europe will still be affected although at a cheaper price

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
The whole issue here is the Starlink service, if you need what it provides, as many posting on this thread do, is just too good/convenient/reliable!

It’s like crack cocaine, we’re all hooked, there are no viable or lower cost alternatives, so we carry on using!

What’s the alternative? SIM juggling with varying degree of effective 4G and 5G coverage. No thanks!

Cancel and go ‘cold turkey’! No thanks!

Again I agree but 2 months in 12.

How much time in Europe do you spend? Probably same as me

Also it’s not 2 months return reset go again it’s 2 months a year. I may well have it for the 2 months but then your going to have no choice are you?

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
Carpmart

H, I hope by country they mean region as you suggest. Time will tell…
Think Carpmart is on unlimited?, as my understanding is they are offering 2 plans with new purchases, the 50Gig and unlimited for mini. I have gen 2 and won't change. If it was reduced to 50Gig across the board I'd be advertising the dish for sale. No use to a grandson gamer!

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
It’s out of my reach now… I’ll stick with my Tesco unlimited and perhaps the odd local sim.
Never had a problem getting signal…😎
Buy in Twin Lakes on next visit? Takes a few days to arrive....

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
View attachment 947602View attachment 947603
I know it been posted but reading this I fear the worst and don’t understand their thinking behind it. I suppose it works well in the USA. Very large countries etc but for the United Kingdom it’s not good.

It does state within country of account address and also international travel for up to two months.

That will make it useless for me if that’s the case and for many other people.

I also see the low demand non commercial use in there.
So no longer able to work on the road then? Also what about all these YouTube people surly that comes under commercial use? They make money from it so will they have to have an upgraded account?

It’s bloody annoying having found a perfect solution for travel for this to happen

It’s not just the £96 though is it.

The restrictions potentially being imposed will make it useless for many people. Especially those retired who travel. Even those in Europe will still be affected although at a cheaper price

See post #2378 for my assumed logic! 🤪

My guess is that the two month change is to tighten up on tariff avoidance. Example, people buying in one country in a region and using it exclusively in another. A case study is I buy in Spain and pay €60 per month (figures wrong) but then use it exclusively in the UK (same region) where I would ordinarily have been paying £85 per month.

The language included the “may be suspended” terminology. My view is that they are not tightening up on my usage, it’s the tariff avoiders.

My solution will be to get a Spanish version, which I can use for 4-5 months of the year in Spain and roam into France and Portugal, then suspend the service the rest of the time.

If they force me down that route, they will have lost revenue compared to how I currently operate.

The majority of us are using UK delivered Starlinks in the way that they intend roam to work, so I’m hopeful of minimal impact, save for the price hike! 🤞

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
See post #2378 for my assumed logic! 🤪

My guess is that the two month change is to tighten up on tariff avoidance. Example, people buying in one country in a region and using it exclusively in another. A case study is I buy in Spain and pay €60 per month (figures wrong) but then use it exclusively in the UK (same region) where I would ordinarily have been paying £85 per month.

The language included the “may be suspended” terminology. My view is that they are not tightening up on my usage, it’s the tariff avoiders.

My solution will be to get a Spanish version, which I can use for 4-5 months of the year in Spain and roam into France and Portugal, then suspend the service the rest of the time.

If they force me down that route, they will have lost revenue compared to how I currently operate.

The majority of us are using UK delivered Starlinks in the way that they intend roam to work, so I’m hopeful of minimal impact, save for the price hike! 🤞
Surely to get a Spanish version would require address email phone numbers based in Spain. This would be a good option if we can. We need a funsters address in Spain that can accept multiple Starlink deliveries :ROFLMAO:

Agree on the tariff avoidance and is annoying when we pay the highest price anyway and are going to cheaper areas

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Not seen anything for my static version, still £75 a month. Hope they don't raise that as I have come to rely on it as the 4G here is unreliable to be polite about it.

Apr 28, 2021
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Compass Drifter 410
Anyone else had the Roam tariff change email?

(Whoops - just scrolled back a bit to see the posts - pesky mobile browser).

I like the idea of in-motion use (which makes the 12v mini more attractive), and also coastal coverage (so I can use it on the boat, which again makes the 12v more interesting).

The +11pcm is a bit meh, but still worth it for when I need it given I'll suspend it over winter anyway

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Anyone else had the Roam tariff change email?

Up to 96pcm from 85, but now includes "international" use (so I guess that resolves some of the queries above), in-motion use (which makes the 12v mini more attractive), and also coastal coverage (so I can use it on the boat, which again makes the 12v more interesting).

The +11pcm is a bit meh, but still worth it for when I need it given I'll suspend it over winter anyway.
Keep up :ROFLMAO:

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Edit: Just looked at the other posts. This could really screw us up!
seems like they have taken action due to the better portability of the new dish.
for me its still worth the extra £11.00 instead of sims and faff, for the amount I use and reliability I need, I dont just use it for east enders and corrie and need stability :LOL:

but then one will need to be paused and the other activated if EU travel is an addon for more than 2 months I guess.
Shame really as I expected reductions as take up customer base grew.

Knowing how lax/laid back/inept Musks admin etc can be I'd think there is a good chance we are lumped in with the EU.

I mean what, Luxembourg chap crosses to Belgium and loses connection, or Ireland to UK ....thats like doing the same from florida to georgia..

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Compass Drifter 410
For anyone who's done it - how do you add a Mini to an existing v2 Roam account?

Or do I simply pause the existing service, and order a new mini/plan under the same email address? I don't see an option to just buy the mini on its own, so I guess I just suspend the existing one and have a new plan to go with it?

May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
Even worse it is 2 months of use in a calendar year.
View attachment 947566
"The Roam Unlimited Service Plan is not permitted for business or enterprise users"

In which case, why do they promote that service as "Best for RVers, campers, travelers, and working on the go".

🤷‍♂️ :unsure::rolleyes:

Dave

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
"The Roam Unlimited Service Plan is not permitted for business or enterprise users"

In which case, why do they promote that service as "Best for RVers, campers, travelers, and working on the go".

🤷‍♂️ :unsure::rolleyes:

Dave

That’s not commercial use… working on the go if it’s a personal contract, is just personal use. If the company you work for provided it to you, that would be commercial use.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
it seems on Reddit that a lot of countries havent had this notification, and some had it take effect back in March April.

and then Bard says this (though I dont trust Bard, will wait to see what the members here who have opened support tickets say)

Yes, England is considered part of the EU for Starlink's terms as a country.

Even though the United Kingdom officially left the European Union (EU) on January 31, 2020, many aspects of EU law still apply to the UK, especially during a transitional period.

This means that for services like Starlink, which are likely regulated by EU laws, England would still be considered within the EU context.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back