Starlink ordered… I feel it’s the only sensible option now.. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I’ve binned the original router as part of a 12v conversion. The range and performance the TP link router is night and day better. If I’m getting 250Mb down in the Motorhome, I’m still getting 150Mb 20m away outside. Power consumption is significantly lower too.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
There are lots of options explained on you tube, it's just a case of what you want to spend and what are you prepared to change, in terms of cutting cables. I think the 12v option is the way to go for motorhome use for me, with a non starlink router, but that option won't suit everyone else .... RogerIvy is doing some great 'in the field' testing out in the Australian outback at the moment...
I'll stick with the original gen2 kit as I only use it on holidays. Finding a better router position will probably make performance acceptable without further expense. Thanks for the suggestions.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
I’ve binned the original router as part of a 12v conversion. The range and performance the TP link router is night and day better. If I’m getting 250Mb down in the Motorhome, I’m still getting 150Mb 20m away outside. Power consumption is significantly lower too.

Thanks Carpmart. I'm sticking with mains power but might be persuaded to upgrade the router looking at the reasonable price of your TP unit.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Thanks Carpmart. I'm sticking with mains power but might be persuaded to upgrade the router looking at the reasonable price of your TP unit.
Using the Starlink on mains is fine when on EHU, if running it through an inverter when not on EHU, it can double the amount of power it uses. I think that could be reduced if you use a small dedicated inverter but no idea what size would work, I assume around 150w might work, but others will know far more than me on suitability. It might be such a minimal draw on power that it works fine and doesn't really affect your battery capacity (as does turning it off when not in use!)

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Funster No
MH
Semi integrated
I see that the new roaming mini starling is available to buy on the UK site @ £299 plus £85 month fee
Has anyone purchased and tried it yet ?

Annoying its €249 plus €59 month fee in Spain !!

IGNORE - Thought is was the new mini but is not sorry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Using the Starlink on mains is fine when on EHU, if running it through an inverter when not on EHU, it can double the amount of power it uses. I think that could be reduced if you use a small dedicated inverter but no idea what size would work, I assume around 150w might work, but others will know far more than me on suitability. It might be such a minimal draw on power that it works fine and doesn't really affect your battery capacity (as does turning it off when not in use!)
We rarely use it off EHU however I have got a 300W inverter which will be adequate if required.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
System has been on boot for 48 hours, tried all the usual resets etc. Thought it would be time to put my hand in my pocket and buy a new dish given I hacked the back off the current one. Starlink asked me a few questions which I suspected would lead to them sending out a new router and cable, neither of which I use. I cut them at the chase and advised I tested the dishy with my friends cable and router. They got back saying a new kit is on the way but it is a Gen3 as they no longer supply Gen2😫
Bit the bullet and ordered the StarMount 12Volt conversion and quick release. The same one I fitted to my friends van which has been excellent. It should arrive on Monday from California. At least there shall be no dish cutting this time around. I will need to get the old mount off the roof of the van.
Moving Pictures Africa on YouTube have modded a gen 3 to 12v if it's helpful?

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Moving Pictures Africa on YouTube have modded a gen 3 to 12v if it's helpful?
Funny you should mention this. I just collected a PoV converter from Amazon along with a GLi 5volt router. I have it connected up doing some speed tests between the 12/56v connection via the PoV and using the SL router. Initially, I did suspect lower speeds with the PoV but over the last few hours it seems to have settled out and reaching speeds of 120Mbps but it does fluctuate but it does that regardless of router. I do suspect it’s slightly slower on the PoV. I have it rigged up temporary so I can swap back and forth to compare. Current draw has dropped from 11amps ( inclusive of inverter draw) and 4.9amps on 12Volts

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Funny you should mention this. I just collected a PoV converter from Amazon along with a GLi 5volt router. I have it connected up doing some speed tests between the 12/56v connection via the PoV and using the SL router. Initially, I did suspect lower speeds with the PoV but over the last few hours it seems to have settled out and reaching speeds of 120Mbps but it does fluctuate but it does that regardless of router. I do suspect it’s slightly slower on the PoV. I have it rigged up temporary so I can swap back and forth to compare. Current draw has dropped from 11amps ( inclusive of inverter draw) and 4.9amps on 12Volts
What is PoV please?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Spotted on the back of my river cruise boat
20240714_142138.jpg

Provides passengers with shipwide wifi... not particularly fast but rock solid connection.
Screenshot_20240714_225328_Speedtest_copy_800x350.jpg

Much better than last years Satphone wifi which was slow and dropped the signal at the first shadow of a building, rock face or tree branch.

Suspect it also feeds the satellite TV provision in the rooms & also the ships internal systems.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Spotted on the back of my river cruise boat
View attachment 923226
Provides passengers with shipwide wifi... not particularly fast but rock solid connection.
View attachment 923228
Much better than last years Satphone wifi which was slow and dropped the signal at the first shadow of a building, rock face or tree branch.

Suspect it also feeds the satellite TV provision in the rooms & also the ships internal systems.
Must have good routers throught the ship too

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
As a 'dabbler' (one who dabbles) with my starlink, I thought I should share my latest problem with my 12v conversion. It's not working, so I am sharing this in case another dabbler has the same issue ....
I kept getting a cable not connected issue even though I knew it was ... Or I thought I knew it was.

After lots of testing I've found that one if the pins inside the internal router connection has become misplaced somehow... Prob because I've been a bit lax in plugging it in and out.

IMG_20240714_172344.jpg

It's the second pin in from the left on the bottom row. I have several options to repair including soldering a wire to the pin where it is attached to the board or even try to reset the pin. After hours of believing it to be a router issue or an issue with the ethernet cables I made, I decided to continuity test the connections from the router through to the processor and found the problem.

So dabblers, take a bit more time undoing connections than I must have done, though in all honesty due to my constant dabbling, I must have plugged and unplugged it dozens of times and perhaps didn't take the care I should have. For a 'standard' 12v conversion where the connection is only unplugged once, cable modified and then plugged back in, it shouldn't be an issue.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Repair completed, Frank Starlinkenstein breathes again, I'm going to try the single cable again and see how long I can make the cable without losing signal.
I did try the beryl router inside the case but it gets too hot to risk it for any length of time, though if I made the case bigger (more volume) and put a computer cooling fan inside, it might make a difference.... that way I could just have a single 12v cable instead of a single ethernet cable ...????
I might just strip out a starlink router and just use the router board, it shouldn't need a 48v connection as that's for the Starlink and motor over a very long cable to account for voltage losses.

More dabbling ....

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Repair completed, Frank Starlinkenstein breathes again, I'm going to try the single cable again and see how long I can make the cable without losing signal.
I did try the beryl router inside the case but it gets too hot to risk it for any length of time, though if I made the case bigger (more volume) and put a computer cooling fan inside, it might make a difference.... that way I could just have a single 12v cable instead of a single ethernet cable ...????
I might just strip out a starlink router and just use the router board, it shouldn't need a 48v connection as that's for the Starlink and motor over a very long cable to account for voltage losses.

More dabbling ....
I've screwed the back on and not sealed it yet, so it can be used as is though I wouldn't mount it where is it until it has been sealed and it will be impacted by the door opening, but it's just an example, so long as the cable is long enough it can go anywhere (it's just the base that needs sealing, it's screwed on at the moment). I put the rubber suction cups on so it could sit it on the roof, bonnet or even the side of the motorhome as shown, so it should stay in place while stationary, even with a bit of wind.

IMG_20240715_160916.jpg

IMG_20240715_160912.jpg

It's been constructed so that the external connections are waterproof but they have been assembled internally so that those connections don't have to be used and I could just drill a hole and run a cable straight through and make the connections internally.

It's straight 12v, no POE or adapters required, just an ethernet cable from whichever router you want to use.

At some point I will see if I can fit it up against the roof lights internally. I tried it before and was still able to get a reasonable signal !!

Now to make a start on my other starlink !!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I've screwed the back on and not sealed it yet, so it can be used as is though I wouldn't mount it where is it until it has been sealed and it will be impacted by the door opening, but it's just an example, so long as the cable is long enough it can go anywhere (it's just the base that needs sealing, it's screwed on at the moment). I put the rubber suction cups on so I could sit it on the roof, bonnet or even the side of the motorhome as shown, so it should stay in place while stationary, even with a bit of wind.

View attachment 923418

View attachment 923419

It's been constructed so that the external connections are waterproof but they have been assembled internally so that those connections don't have to be used and I could just drill a hole and run a cable straight through and make the connections internally.

It's straight 12v, no POE or adapters required, just an ethernet cable from whichever router you want to use.

At some point I will see if I can fit it up against the roof lights internally. I tried it before and was still able to get a reasonable signal !!

Now to make a start on my other starlink !!

What V2 design principles then? 😉

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
I want to add a better GPS which will help with flat mounting, it really needs doing before fixing the frame as it's right in the corner so a bit fiddly with the frame in situ. I'm also determined to add a router internally and a fan to ensure it stays cool.

I also want to add a 20A lithium battery so no external connections are required and it will last around 6 hours or so before needing to be recharged though i hope to be able to connect it to a folding solar panel, so potentially it could be 'independant' for a lot longer .

but I need time to plan as the housing will need to be bigger or have a separate housing for the battery .... just haven't got round to working it out in my head. there are advantages and disadvantages of course!

Other suggestions are more than welcome as to what would make the perfect 'Child of Frank Starlinkenstein' .....

Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
Looks very neat and a great technical achievement.

However, I don't quite see what's not to like about using a 48V POE supply. That inherently only needs one cable which combines data and power and uses industry standard cables and connectors. It also has the added bonus of no worries over voltage drops if you have to position the dish well away from the van due to overhead obstructions.

On a recent 4 week trip I had to get very creative over finding a ground position for the dish on over half of our stops. In one case we were next to an almost dried up river and I had to put the dish well out from the bank on the riverbed stones in order to get a reasonable view of the sky!

Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
OK, having just read your latest post which crossed with mine, I can see that you are intent on creating something totally portable and self contained, in which case I wonder what usage situations this is catering for?

Looks like the new mini dish might be a better bet for a fully portable solution, and I read that they have now relaxed the requirements for owning one of these, though I think they still have a monthly download data restriction.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
I can see that you are intent on creating something totally portable and self contained, in which case I wonder what usage situations this is catering for?

Firstly I am doing it because i want to ..... one scenario, and there are probably more than i can think of, is the potential just to pack it in a bag and go. as i am not sure about whether to roof mount it or not, i thought it might be great when travelling, just to pop it outside wherever we are and not having lots of wires (and a router) to contend with. i also want to see how practical it would be if i could fix it inside the motorhome operating through a roof light that was closed. would it then allow starlink on the move when travelling?
We have a member currently touring the outback in Australia, using his own version of the 12v mod .... a bloody good example of when it might come in use (bearing in mind he carried it in his hand luggage i believe!)

Looks like the new mini dish might be a better bet for a fully portable solution, and I read that they have now relaxed the requirements for owning one of these, though I think they still have a monthly download data restriction.
The monthly download restriction is a big NO NO NO in my view. when we are abroad it is possible to watch UK tv via the internet (so i have been told .... and of course would never do personally..) apparently at around 1gb per hour for watching tv it soon adds up - PS this isnt a debate about whether TV on holiday is a good or bad idea ..... the new mini dish also reduces the download speeds, Frank Starlinkenstein doesnt, which in theory allows multiple users to connect, I have often shared my starlink access with fellow Brits abroad (so no point anyone telling me its a bad idea, i know it is but do it anyway when i feel comfortable)

I would add that i dont suggest the direct 12v method is better than POE, i just think its a different option and is a lot harder to achieve than POE and not everyone will have the confidence to try it - RogerIvy has produced a youtube video showing how to do it and yes its fiddly and you do need a very fine tipped soldering iron to remove one of the components, but his video is extremely honest, but shows difficulties and all, which i think shows great honesty and integrity on his part.

This is the first of his three videos - showing it all step by step - just watch all three videos to see how he got it all up and running -

Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
As an inveterate electronics fiddler I do respect the challenge and skills involved and am attracted to the idea of doing the same just because I could and would enjoy it. However I am resisting because being realistic it would not improve usability for my usage, possibly the reverse, but do please keep reporting on your progress!

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
As an inveterate electronics fiddler I do respect the challenge and skills involved and am attracted to the idea of doing the same just because I could and would enjoy it. However I am resisting because being realistic it would not improve usability for my usage, possibly the reverse, but do please keep reporting on your progress!
I am not electrically minded ..... I do like challenges and learning new stuff and sometimes doing something because I have the time and enthusiasm to do it. It doesn't mean it's the best idea or the best way to do something or even the best use of my time or spending money ....

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
That would be true if you want to continue to power the dish from the Starlink router in the normal way. You would also need an Ethernet adapter in order to connect your own router. If you go down the route of providing a 12V to 48V power supply for the dish, as I have done, then you can dispense with the Starlink router.

I use the Beryl AX GL-MT3000 router, which despite being very small seems to have a great range. When I was setting it up in the van on the drive at the front of the house my wife was still connecting from the back garden!
Just to say I've bought this router at an Amazon prime discount today. Looking forward to trying it out next week. Ethernet adapter arriving Saturday as well. So all set. It also works with my existing VPN , good feature https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BPSGJN7T/?tag=mhf04-21

Last edited:

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Just to say I've bought this router at an Amazon prime discount today. Looking forward to trying it out next week. Ethernet adapter arriving Saturday as well. So all set. It also works with my existing VPN , good feature https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BPSGJN7T/?tag=mhf04-21
Seems like a good choice and only 5v 3a usbc which will be easy to power, loads of options on these and apparently good wifi range from other users comments.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Seems like a good choice and only 5v 3a usbc which will be easy to power, loads of options on these and apparently good wifi range from other users comments.
Yes the 5v USB power option was also a decider for my mh set up.

Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life
Hope it is fast enough for you it only manages 20Mbit/sec with OpenVPN - I have one it’s great but the processor in it id not really powerful enough for VPN. It’s wonderfuly small for chucking in a bag when travelling.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Hope it is fast enough for you it only manages 20Mbit/sec with OpenVPN - I have one it’s great but the processor in it id not really powerful enough for VPN. It’s wonderfuly small for chucking in a bag when travelling.
Thanks for the advice. My fall back is to just use my Express VPN directly on each device which should maintain speed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back