Starlink ordered… I feel it’s the only sensible option now.. (5 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
That looks like a nice simple all in one solution. Previous buyers have left good comments, which is always helpful.
Reducing the need to run dishy through an inverter will reduce the power consumption from whatever the inverter was using, so there are definitely benefits.
Its a shame no one has been able to combine a router in the same package, I feel that would be a game changer. Hope you get starmount to cancel the order!
Let us know how you go on with the device ...??

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
Our latest bush camp with Starlink operating flawlessly.
At this stage we’re very remote, about six hours drive from the nearest small town.
No other humans since we passed through the town.
IMG_0192.jpeg

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Early reviews... Mini Dishy is much more plasticy and light weight than the larger ones. Is it going to survive being on the roof of a van?
With it being smaller It probably doesn't need to be as rigid?

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
So, ....... what's in the 2 boxes?
Looking at that pic makes me think dishy should be incorporated in to the top of one of them!!
Eating and cooking utensils.
I carried dishy in my hand luggage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Fired my starlink up last night, the first time since last year, it wanted to do an update, I let it do that and then it just endlessly tried to reboot.
I left it overnight, looked at it again this morning and it wants to update again, l let it do it and it then it booted up and connected.
So all good in the end.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Fired my starlink up last night, the first time since last year, it wanted to do an update, I let it do that and then it just endlessly tried to reboot.
I left it overnight, looked at it again this morning and it wants to update again, l let it do it and it then it booted up and connected.
So all good in the end.
Probably got overwhelmed by the thousands of new satellites since last time it looked. 😅

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
So all good in the end.
On our “Franked” dishy we’ve noticed that it needs a voltage above about 12.3v to boot successfully. We bought a 230v ac to 12v dc to run it off a generator if need be, but it never went beyond the booting stage at just over 12.2v. It will be fine on lithium, but I’m now on the hunt for a 230v ac to 13v dc travel converter. As usual Google makes it almost impossible to narrow my search down. It seems the more we move to AI the dumber the searches become.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
On our “Franked” dishy we’ve noticed that it needs a voltage above about 12.3v to boot successfully. We bought a 230v ac to 12v dc to run it off a generator if need be, but it never went beyond the booting stage at just over 12.2v.
Hi Roger, this is the excerpt from Oleg's blog

'The minimum supply voltage is 10V, and the absolute maximum is 15V. Please, do not exceed 15V value. It might damage your Dishy'

I'm wondering if cable loss might be the issue in your case? I know when I tested the single cable hack it worked fine on a short cable but when I increased the length it appeared to become an issue ...??

Keep testing it for us all ...👍👍 and keep enjoying your fantastic adventure!

PS I love the previous comment that you carried your dishy to Australia in your hand luggage ... Brilliant!!

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
On our “Franked” dishy we’ve noticed that it needs a voltage above about 12.3v to boot successfully. We bought a 230v ac to 12v dc to run it off a generator if need be, but it never went beyond the booting stage at just over 12.2v. It will be fine on lithium, but I’m now on the hunt for a 230v ac to 13v dc travel converter. As usual Google makes it almost impossible to narrow my search down. It seems the more we move to AI the dumber the searches become.
If running direct from 12V is so sensitive to voltage it would seem preferable to use the 12V to 48V POE method of powering dishy or 240V to 48V POE if you want to power it directly from a mains source. This also compensates for cable losses and allows you to successfully drive it via a long cable if it needs to be ground mounted away from the vehicle. The 12V to 48V POE method has been 100% reliable on our current trip and we have frequently had to use the ground mount and 150 ft cable due to tree shaded pitches.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back