Starlink ordered… I feel it’s the only sensible option now.. (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Can I ask WRT weather proof outdoor cat 6 cable please? I only need around 3m, a couple of decent RJ45’s and a set of crimps. What make/manufacturer should I order of all the above please? ✔️

OR… Anyone at Hereford or Pershore Plum with this kind of bits? Happy to buy components and provide beer and or wine for a lend of crimps! 🤪😇
Hopefully will be at Hereford if we have a van, I can bring an RJ45 crimp tool, remind me nearer the time.

Dec 31, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix supreme
What about the twist and lock van washing brushes, replace the brush head with youre dish?

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Probably but there would be a labour charge. They could make margin upgrading routers and power supply. I predict by next NEC someone will be offering this.

I agree, there will undoubtedly be someone starts to fit them. There are plenty fitting on houses in UK now.

I meant commercial risk… It’s actually pretty straightforward ‘plug and play’ to do it oneself. To validate this point, I’ve managed! Although I’ve not flat mounted yet as I like the articulation of a standard MK2 dish.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
I agree, there will undoubtedly be someone starts to fit them. There are plenty fitting on houses in UK now.

I meant commercial risk… It’s actually pretty straightforward ‘plug and play’ to do it oneself. To validate this point, I’ve managed! Although I’ve not flat mounted yet as I like the articulation of a standard MK2 dish.

I think the risk is that of woody campsites like the one I was in this weekend (Dunwich), which is built in amongst trees on the coast. I saw a van with starlink and the dish (mk2) had unsurpsringly moved to the "only" area of clear sky it could see (about 1/3 of the sky). Flat mounted, I would imagine awful performance at those pitches.

I think if I was buying Starlink I'd actually want the MK2 too.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I think the risk is that of woody campsites like the one I was in this weekend (Dunwich), which is built in amongst trees on the coast. I saw a van with starlink and the dish (mk2) had unsurpsringly moved to the "only" area of clear sky it could see (about 1/3 of the sky). Flat mounted, I would imagine awful performance at those pitches.

I think if I was buying Starlink I'd actually want the MK2 too.
Definitely a consideration. I appreciated being able to move mine around a couple of times when under trees.

The Gen3 dish is bigger so may perform better when shaded?

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
My friend was convinced he didn’t want anything in the Motorhome for the 12 Volt conversion. He wanted to “keep it clean” in reality he has lots of places in cupboards he could have mounted it. But he decided to splash the cash and buy the Star Mount all in one conversion flat mount, including the removable mount to give him the option to remove from the roof if required. I helped him fit it this weekend, it is a very impressive well made bit of kit. Expensive for what it is, he got lucky not paying import tax from USA for some strange reason. But overall I’m very impressed with it.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Slightly off topic.I have a starlink standard plan at a fixed address. I thought I could "pause" the system whilst I was away but it appears that this is only available for those roaming?. the internet appears to say that "pause" is now not on the app but only on the website & for those roaming.
If I wish to 'pause' the service whilst away for a few months do I just use the "cancel service" in the app or website & then "reactivate " when I return?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Or would it be better to activate "roaming" at 10€/month extra then "pause " it ?Which it appears some people have done?

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Slightly off topic.I have a starlink standard plan at a fixed address. I thought I could "pause" the system whilst I was away but it appears that this is only available for those roaming?. the internet appears to say that "pause" is now not on the app but only on the website & for those roaming.
If I wish to 'pause' the service whilst away for a few months do I just use the "cancel service" in the app or website & then "reactivate " when I return?
I have both mine on roam for the same reason.(one is on a static van I own in Wales that closes nov to march)
But yes you can cancel and reactivate as long as there is availability in your area when coming to reactivate, which doesn't seem a problem in the EU ATM.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Well I was going to just stow it & then turn off but whilst browsing the 'change plan' & looking at some of the fantastically priced plans, does anybody pay 5,738€/months for priority 5TB?, I noticed the "deprioritised " plan that is available here in spain& NZ also. 29€/month so I'll switch it to that when I am away. I might even leave it on that as it is only the wifes tv viewing & speeds should easily be still ok for that.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I dont think you be deprioritized anyway will you, your market will be far from saturated surely
That is what I would have thought & similar in New Zealand yet both have this option which I would have thought was so that they could gain more customers whilst increasing the system & satellite footprint?
It says normally will be unlimited speeds except in 'peak' times ,whenever that is?

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Starlink no longer selling the actuated dish, only option on their website now is for the new Flat Mount Dish and 3rd gen router, price is reduced as well as now £299 and the 30 day trial is back

1715856251876.png

Also in the USA they are unbundling the router from the dish and making it an addon. It still looks to be included here though for the moment.

Last edited:

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Starlink no longer selling the actuated dish, only option on their website now is for the new Flat Mount Dish and 3rd gen router, price is reduced as well as now £299 and the 30 day trial is back

View attachment 897823

Also in the USA they are unbundling the router from the dish and making it an addon. It still looks to be included here though for the moment.
Expect a slew of the older ones onto the market at reduced cost again maybe ?

Last edited:

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Expect a slew of thr e older ones onto the market at reduced cost again maybe ?
I think they have already done that as they were selling the refurbs a little while ago for half price, this has now ended but it was going for a while.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Starlink no longer selling the actuated dish, only option on their website now is for the new Flat Mount Dish and 3rd gen router.
Just looked in my account and it is showing the V2 with no V3 availability yet.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Just looked in my account and it is showing the V2 with no V3 availability yet.
log out and all will be revealed, when logging in it will show you options for what you have purchased

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
It's been raining today, so started the next phase of modding my starlink, next stage will be to make a casing, which I am hoping will be very slim and then do the full modification to turn into purely 12v, by removing the 48v requirements. So long as the supply doesn't exceed 16v or go below 10v then I shouldn't even need the stabilised 12v supply.

Got some more bits arriving tomorrow, so will start doing the techy soldering stuff on Monday probably

IMG_20240516_132151.jpg

IMG_20240516_132205.jpg

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
And the first attempt at the frame/shroud made from a piece of uPVC trim I had hanging around. I will use a smaller piece when I redo it. This is 45mm, so I will look to use @25mm as the starlink is only about 12mm in height.
If it works it's a pretty cheap and effective frame.

I will sikafkex the frame to the starlink around and in the groove left from the original shroud, you can see the groove on the third photo

IMG_20240516_145951.jpg

17158681467647087598377320010840.jpg

IMG_20240516_150707.jpg

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
And the first attempt at the frame/shroud made from a piece of uPVC trim I had hanging around. I will use a smaller piece when I redo it. This is 45mm, so I will look to use @25mm as the starlink is only about 12mm in height.

I will sikafkex the frame to the starlink around and in the groove left from the original shroud, you can see the groove on the third photo

View attachment 897887

View attachment 897888

View attachment 897890
This always made more sense to me than 3D printing one. Nice one (y)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Update - used 25mm uPVC and it's a lot easier to manipulate. If I were making a few of these I would make a template, it only takes about ten minutes being without a template but I suspect it would be a lot faster and neater with a template...

17158697412631616497704010641330.jpg

17158697738267412039314080974648.jpg

I will just use a thin plastic sheet as the cover to prevent water ingress when mounted.
To be honest, it's that thin/slim I might not even permanent mount it. It takes about as much room as a 20 inch TV now that all the original shroud has been removed. Fie those who don't want to go down the expense if the 12v conversion, it can just be used as it is now, using all the original cables!

Probably a few sucky connections at each corner and it's easily mounted and the low profile should stop winds for displacing it ...

UPDATE ...
Not the prettiest jig/proforma but the frame fits the starlink perfectly. Took me 5 mins to make a frame - could have been quicker if I had more clamps .....

Who's brave enough to make their own at the Thorpe rally ...... I can bring the jig with me ?

IMG_20240516_171920.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

View attachment 897887

View attachment 897888

View attachment 897890

Just wondering have you considered HDPE. I am working with it at the moment and it seems very easy to work with and pretty cheap?

Easy to weld, join and bend.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
MisterB Shame you are not nearer. You could have popped over and had a go with my plastic welding kit on some hdpe to see which you preferred.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Gromett - great suggestion - where is 'nearer' ..- i reckon ..that would be a much better looking/proffesionla process than me just bending some upvc trim with a hot air gun! I reckon i could get it looking rally neat but it would be so much better with a welded joint. im always up for a peoject ....!

does it comes in strip or all sheets? easy to cut and finish?

is it one of those stapler type welding guns or an extrusion type plastic welder?

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Gromett - gret suggestion - where is 'nearer' ..- i reckon ..that would be a much better looking/proffesionla process than me just bending some upvc trim with a hot air gun! I reckon i could get it looking rally neat but it would be so much better with a welded joint. im always up for a peoject ....!

does it comes in strip or all sheets? easy to cut and finish?

Have a look at the link I sent. It comes in many sizes up to 2m x 3m and they will cut to size if you need it. Not sure what thickness you want but for example 1m x 200mm in 2mm is less than £2.
I do not know the dimensions of dishy off the top of my head and I am not unpacking mine to find out when yours is already on the bench :p

VERY easy to cut, shape and bend. If you cut a 20mm strip for instance bending would be trivial.
Welding the sheet to the curved bit would be straight forward as well and would ensure a water proof joint.
You could go even further and route in a groove and install 'O' ring chord. Then use inserts to screw the lid in. Probably going a bit far but lots you can do.

I am at Horncastle. Will be a week or so before I am ready for visitors though as I have a lot on with some server migrations and 2 tanks to make. I have a few new tools hopefully arriving next week as well.
How much of a rush are you in?

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Just wondering have you considered HDPE. I am working with it at the moment and it seems very easy to work with and pretty cheap?

Easy to weld, join and bend.

HDPE, love the material! ✔️

You mention bond… I’ve tried lots of different ways of bonding, all failed. Plastic welding would work for the join, but not sure if plastic welding to the dish would work?

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Have a look at the link I sent. It comes in many sizes up to 2m x 3m and they will cut to size if you need it. Not sure what thickness you want but for example 1m x 200mm in 2mm is less than £2.
I do not know the dimensions of dishy off the top of my head and I am not unpacking mine to find out when yours is already on the bench :p

VERY easy to cut, shape and bend. If you cut a 20mm strip for instance bending would be trivial.
Welding the sheet to the curved bit would be straight forward as well and would ensure a water proof joint.
You could go even further and route in a groove and install 'O' ring chord. Then use inserts to screw the lid in. Probably going a bit far but lots you can do.

I am at Horncastle. Will be a week or so before I am ready for visitors though as I have a lot on with some server migrations and 2 tanks to make. I have a few new tools hopefully arriving next week as well.
How much of a rush are you in?
not in any rush to be honest, but once ive stuck this in, it wont be coming out again. i may have a go at making a template though .....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back