Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Possible solution to avoid damage could be chilli powder

Saw it on a wildlife program where they added it to bird feeders, birds are unaffected by the spice but squirrels hate it
Didn't work for us. Liberally coated the bird feed and still the squirrels came. We had the misfortune to have them in one of the lofts as well - smelly, noisy little ba**ards. Had to get the pest control officer out to them. After he had caught one he told us that if we were asked by his bosses what he had caught we should reply that it was a rat. The reason being that if it's rats then there was no charge, if it was squirrels then we would have to pay £75.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
This will work and should minimise the risk of catching unwanted species.

Bait with peanut butter.

May 20, 2015
Newbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 1970
Live in the country so have had this problem.. had the fuel line on the car chewed twice. Had to be towed to the garage each time as squirting petrol from holes. Second time mechanic put brake hose round pipe. Hasn’t happened since

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Squirrels are a huge pest I live on the outskirts of town with large oak trees in my neighbours gardens and open fields front and rear with a small wood behind me

I have a huge problem with greys got in my garage loft causing £100's of pounds worth of damage they eat all the birds eggs or any chicks that they find

I have shot over 50 greys in my garden last year and they just keep coming more and more each week I honestly can't believe how many there are no matter how many I shoot it makes no dent in their numbers they are relentless

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Intelligent and friendly little things. It visited for lunch everyday at a neighbours van in Albir. :roflmto:

View media item 22099

For me - I would shoot them. Very destructive.

Aug 18, 2009
essex
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick Duo
Exp
Metal cage humain trap off ebay with peanut butter works trap about £15 quid i caught two and let them go miles away on way to work

Note (grey squirrel)if you catch them,as apest you can not release them.
Red sguirrels are protected(do not harm)

Feb 7, 2016
west sussex
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1975
We had the same problem with something chewing through the brake warning wiring loop on the back axle of our Chausson. We took the van to the local ford garage and they recommended something called rat tape made by honda, it was an adhesive tape impregnated with chilli, the van was put over a pit and all visible wires were wrapped in the tape. As someone said before the covering of wires is made with soya which is very tasty to vermin.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Apparently the casing on wires contains soy oil, ( who knew) which is why they're attractive to squirrels.
Found these ideas Broken Link Removed

Sympathise with you, squirrels got into a friend's roof space and did a hell of a lot of damage.

A pair of squirrels got into our roof space and reared young whilst we were in Spain last year, they made a right mess!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back