Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We bought a used cylinder Propane in Benidorm for €20 plenty for sale
Another option indeed...but you paid 20€ for an empty cylinder then needed to exchange it for a full one....cost of gas to be added.

Another matter of obtaining an extra cylinder is how to transport it between your overnighter...and if you choose a Propane cylinder, they are very heavy, similar to Calor...where Butane cylinders are constructed with lightweight materials...

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Another option indeed...but you paid 20€ for an empty cylinder then needed to exchange it for a full one....cost of gas to be added.

Another matter of obtaining an extra cylinder is how to transport it between your overnighter...and if you choose a Propane cylinder, they are very heavy, similar to Calor...where Butane cylinders are constructed with lightweight materials...
I got a blue propane with the plastic top and bottom gas was €17 and you own the bottle it’s always worth €20 so no big deal but if it’s a worry maybe over stretching your budget, stay at home 🤣👍

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I got a blue propane with the plastic top and bottom gas was €17 and you own the bottle it’s always worth €20 so no big deal but if it’s a worry maybe over stretching your budget, stay at home 🤣👍
Stay at home, who me...never... I'm writing on here to help other Funsters who may require a new cylinder from a Cepsa outlet whilst visiting Spain that comes with a contract..
Like I've written earlier, I'm a Spanish resident who uses Gaslow...my posts are there to help others who might prefer a different approach...nothing more.👍🇪🇦😀

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Stay at home, who me...never... I'm writing on here to help other Funsters who may require a new cylinder from a Cepsa outlet whilst visiting Spain that comes with a contract..
Like I've written earlier, I'm a Spanish resident who uses Gaslow...my posts are there to help others who might prefer a different approach...nothing more.👍🇪🇦😀
Yes, very helpful advice too. I've got a full sized Gaslow cylinder in the gas locker and space for a CEPSA cylinder next to it, always managed with a single Gaslow just need to keep an eye on contents and top up whenever you can.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Just a thought, if you have a PVC like us then Harvey’s method Carpmart might not work. Our filler point on the IH was behind the sliding door when open so we couldn’t do the free standing cylinder thing which was annoying. The gap was too shallow.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Just a thought, if you have a PVC like us then Harvey’s method Carpmart might not work. Our filler point on the IH was behind the sliding door when open so we couldn’t do the free standing cylinder thing which was annoying. The gap was too shallow.
Free standing cylinders with a high pressure gas connection is not a recommended method of connecting an external gas cylinder to a leisure vehicle.
Most UK sites will not allow it ⚠️

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Free standing cylinders with a high pressure gas connection is not a recommended method of connecting an external gas cylinder to a leisure vehicle.
I have never done it and I know it’s not allowed in the UK but as you know many, many Funsters do it in Spain. I’m not sure why you’ve aimed it at me in particular. I would have thought what Orion is describing but not recommending in his post re the BBQ business is much more risky.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Gaslow have been selling their external hose and connector system for a decade at least, so they must believe it's acceptable.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Yes, very helpful advice too. I've got a full sized Gaslow cylinder in the gas locker and space for a CEPSA cylinder next to it, always managed with a single Gaslow just need to keep an eye on contents and top up whenever you can.
A perfect system,which we might consider when we change our van....the only disadvantage is jumartoo would have problems lifting it in and out of the van..🤔🇪🇦👍👍🤭

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
I have never done it and I know it’s not allowed in the UK but as you know many, many Funsters do it in Spain. I’m not sure why you’ve aimed it at me in particular. I would have thought what Orion is describing but not recommending in his post re the BBQ business is much more risky.
Not aimed at anyone in particular 👍
Just giving some advice, connecting an external gas cylinder is specifically mentioned in the leisure vehicle standards which cover the whole of Europe so not permitted anywhere else in Europe technically.
BBQ point connection is again not a recognised method of connection to an external gas cylinder, but probably far safer than a high pressure connection to an unrestrained cylinder.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Just giving some advice, connecting an external gas cylinder is specifically mentioned in the leisure vehicle standards which cover the whole of Europe so not permitted anywhere else in Europe technically.
BBQ point connection is again not a recognised method of connection to an external gas cylinder, but probably far safer than a high pressure connection to an unrestrained cylinder.
Just as well our new van will have diesel heating, a compressor fridge, solar, lithium plus the lpg will only be used for cooking. Don’t think We’ll ever have to worry about this issue again :giggle:

Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
Hi Funsters

I'm on the scrounge :giggle:

Has anyone got a old spanish cylinder that they dont intend to use anymore, I'm going to Spain at the end of the year for 3 months and would like to be fully equiped before i go (y)

Cheers
Hi
I’ve a Greek one if it’s of any use. It might be the same fittings? Free to collect & it’s empty. Also got the valve for the top too.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
When you say that do you mean those who run a hose from their regulator out to a 47 kg cylinder for example..? As is done by many who live full time on sites.

Whilst at it, we bought a new Spanish bottle connector whilst in Spain and the sales guy there are two sorts of connector.
One reduces the pressure from the bottle to 2 bar before it gets to your regulator and conversion to 30mb. The second is simply an on/off valve that presents bottle pressure to your regulator.

The first being, I think, for statics etc. Is that right?

Just out of interest, what is the typical bottle internal pressure?

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Gaslow have been selling their external hose and connector system for a decade at least, so they must believe it's acceptable.
Having literally just spent the last couple of days in a classroom environment studying the relevant standards for LPG and also Leisure vehicles, the connection of external gas cylinders to a Leisure vehicle was specifically mentioned 👍

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Having literally just spent the last couple of days in a classroom environment studying the relevant standards for LPG and also Leisure vehicles, the connection of external gas cylinders to a Leisure vehicle was specifically mentioned 👍
Is that in case they drive off with them connected? If not, what is the reason please? On our site for example. Geniune interest.

IMG_0115.jpeg

IMG_0114.jpeg

Last edited:

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Is that in case they drive off with them connected? If not, what is the reason please? On our site for example. Geniune interest.

View attachment 922286

View attachment 922287
Unrestrained LPG cylinder especially a 47 kg is going to do someone some serious damage if it falls over.
All cylinders are supposed to be restrained by attachments to either a solid construction or a suitable restraint system, normally a post and chains for static park homes etc .
Most sites won’t allow any free standing bottles , it could be kids playing, machinery such as grass cutting or more likely a vehicle hitting it .
The biggest issue is that all the information on the use and siting of cylinders is very well documented in all the various standards so when a problem arises there is no excuse for not complying , especially where businesses are concerned.
There are other potential issues with the examples you show as the maximum permitted pigtail hose length is 750mm as longer can and does result in reliquefaction in n longer hoses that can damage the regulator.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
When you say that do you mean those who run a hose from their regulator out to a 47 kg cylinder for example..? As is done by many who live full time on sites.

Whilst at it, we bought a new Spanish bottle connector whilst in Spain and the sales guy there are two sorts of connector.
One reduces the pressure from the bottle to 2 bar before it gets to your regulator and conversion to 30mb. The second is simply an on/off valve that presents bottle pressure to your regulator.

The first being, I think, for statics etc. Is that right?

Just out of interest, what is the typical bottle internal pressure?
Interestingly the standard for the connection of an external gas cylinder to a Leisure accommodation vehicle includes the minimum and maximum pressure, shall not be lower than 0.3 bar and not exceed 2.2 bar .
So your Spanish sales guy was correct,
Typical Propane bottle pressure is 6.9 bar @15°C

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Unrestrained LPG cylinder especially a 47 kg is going to do someone some serious damage if it falls over.
All cylinders are supposed to be restrained by attachments to either a solid construction or a suitable restraint system, normally a post and chains for static park homes etc .
Most sites won’t allow any free standing bottles , it could be kids playing, machinery such as grass cutting or more likely a vehicle hitting it .
The biggest issue is that all the information on the use and siting of cylinders is very well documented in all the various standards so when a problem arises there is no excuse for not complying , especially where businesses are concerned.
There are other potential issues with the examples you show as the maximum permitted pigtail hose length is 750mm as longer can and does result in reliquefaction in n longer hoses that can damage the regulator.
That doesn’t make sense with regards your comment about restrained cylinders and feeding gas through the BBQ point in your earlier post. I didn’t really understand at the time as I wondered why you thought the cylinder would be restrained for connection to a BbQ point. It would be free standing just like the cylinders that are fed through the LPG filler point.

So basically the safety issue is mainly to do with things and people bumping into the unrestrained cylinders? I don’t think you will have put many off using them somehow.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
That doesn’t make sense with regards your comment about restrained cylinders and feeding gas through the BBQ point in your earlier post. I didn’t really understand at the time as I wondered why you thought the cylinder would be restrained for connection to a BbQ point. It would be free standing just like the cylinders that are fed through the LPG filler point.

So basically the safety issue is mainly to do with things and people bumping into the unrestrained cylinders? I don’t think you will have put many off using them somehow.
No 2 totally different situations.
One is the danger of an unrestricted high pressure gas connection.
The other posted scenario was a large unrestrained 47 kg Cylinder posted by another person who asked several questions.
As a qualified gas fitter and company we have to try to give the correct information about the relevant gas standards.
It’s why on our website you won’t find many items that other companies are quite happy to sell and on other items we will have added the relevant information to inform potential purchasers that that particular product doesn’t meet the standards or state the possible risks .
We couldn’t plead ignorance about the correct use of a product as myself and all the staff members who give technical advice are qualified.
After what we witnessed today I actually wonder why we bother to be honest ⚠️

OP
OP
M

Michael.

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2022
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rimor Seal 9
Hi
I’ve a Greek one if it’s of any use. It might be the same fittings? Free to collect & it’s empty. Also got the valve for the top too.
Thanks for the offer, I have no idea if it is the same connector, I think I will just get one from the first Cepsa garage I get to, thanks anyway 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back