Spain to impose hard border on Gibraltar after Brexit talks stall (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
It affects everyone. I'm actually pro UK just a different UK to those stuck in the past harking back to the 1950's and episodes of love thy neighbour and Alf Garnett
It would seem their is only one person stuck in the past as you always hark back to it I'm more concerned about now not 40/50 years ago but do keep up with the bitterness 😁

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
So anyone who decides to exercise their democrat right to vote for something you dont agree with are thick racists with nostalgia issues?
No just people who go on about making Britain great again, taking back control, not liking it being difficult to be openly racist or mysogonist in what they say not accepting the way people want to live their lives in terms of their sexuality not liking women being firefighters police or lots of other roles they seem perfectly able to do . Just read a few threads on here about nostalgia looking down on the youngsters of today. Thankfully there do seem to be quite a few members on here now not rooted in the past society is changing and as you would expect on a forum largely populated by older people it's gradually catching up.

Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
No just people who go on about making Britain great again, taking back control, not liking it being difficult to be openly racist or mysogonist in what they say not accepting the way people want to live their lives in terms of their sexuality not liking women being firefighters police or lots of other roles they seem perfectly able to do . Just read a few threads on here about nostalgia looking down on the youngsters of today. Thankfully there do seem to be quite a few members on here now not rooted in the past society is changing and as you would expect on a forum largely populated by older people it's gradually catching up.
But you seem to assume everyone who doesn't agree with you is like that which isn't true. What you've just stated is just as bad and narrow minded but I guess you don't see that being so enlightened. I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
And?
You know and I know that it’s the Spaniards who buy it in Gib.
Our prices are currently much cheaper but so is Andorra’s or Spain’s compared to France.
Any sarcasm there?
Nope. Just an interesting statistic.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
But you seem to assume everyone who doesn't agree with you is like that which isn't true. What you've just stated is just as bad and narrow minded but I guess you don't see that being so enlightened. I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
I don't think everyone who doesn't agree with me is narrow minded in fact I suspect big parts of the centre of the right wing politicians are what I would consider people with good values ( people like Ken Clarke and Rishi apart from when he's running scared from the right wingers) .

weejocky

Funster
Jan 20, 2010
Yorkshire and France
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
not long enough

You hate us all here, why do you even bother logging in. Its not like you even have a motorhome. Or do you just like winding folk up with your constant sniping at how thick we all are.

DT

Dec 27, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Boats Caravans & Motorhomes for 25 years
Too important for our Military but bet roll over Starmer wouldn’t care.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
You hate us all here, why do you even bother logging in. Its not like you even have a motorhome. Or do you just like winding folk up with your constant sniping at how thick we all are.
I've stayed on here because I think our being without a motorhome is temporary and I love chatting with people like you who seem unable to support their views with any logical information or facts other than being aggressive!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
So who did it belong to before we had it?
The French I think.

Who owned the land your house was built on before you bought it, and who had it before them, and before them. Guaranteed if you go back far enough someone grabbed it. So do you really own it? Will you be giving it away? Who too? Or will you be taking advantage of the modern property owning rights? Much like the Brits did when they settled on the Falklands 300 years ago.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The French I think.

Who owned the land your house was built on before you bought it, and who had it before them, and before them. Guaranteed if you go back far enough someone grabbed it. So do you really own it? Will you be giving it away? Who too? Or will you be taking advantage of the modern property owning rights? Much like the Brits did when they settled on the Falklands 300 years ago.
So is it okay for other countries to grab territories now that they want if they have enough military might?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
So is it okay for other countries to grab territories now that they want if they have enough military might?
Why do you do that, you cannot counter something I said, so make something up and counter that. :doh: Where did I say it's OK grab territories?

No it's not OK, but in history it happened and it still happens, It definitely happened on the land you say you own. Argentina didn't exist when we settled on the Falklands, in living memory Brits died defending it, but wets would hand it over in an instant.

Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
I would rephrase that because we are not allowed to vote in a British election. (Hence the Spaniards (rightful) claim that we are a colony. But that's for another volume..)

The gist should be that because we want to align with being British, we had to accept the Brexit result.

Heres a link to territory occupied by a foreign power that has forcibly removed the inhabitants and leased it to the US in contravention of the UN

Sad.......

Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
But you did vote in the brexit referendum and the results were counted in with the SW England.
I'm not quite sure why you've ref'd me in your comment........my statement of 'sad' was to Wino in reference to his atitude and outlook......!

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
So anyone who decides to exercise their democrat right to vote for something you dont agree with are thick racists with nostalgia issues?
Hope you're not referring to those who voted for Mr Farrage🤣🤣🤣

Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
I'm not quite sure why you've ref'd me in your comment........my statement of 'sad' was to Wino in reference to his atitude and outlook......!
I'm lost with who said what.

May 13, 2024
Lancshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Axess
Exp
Caravan since 1983 - Motorhome since 1997
Apropos of nothing, what a sorry state of affairs.

The people of Gibraltar voted against Brexit, as that best suited their needs and purposes.

They seem to want to remain under the protection of the British, and to be on the receiving end of British financial support.

When I was stationed at RAF North Front, back in the day, Gibraltarian bar owners, restaurateurs, shopkeepers, & etc. were all happy to take tour miserly Service pay off us, but they never really 'enjoyed' our presence, or made us feel welcome.

They also kept their daughters well locked-up.

It was a very strange, and to some extent one-sided, relationship.

The Spanish bar owners, restaurateurs, shopkeepers, & etc. over the border in La Línea de la Concepción, were equally happy to relieve us of our hard-earned cash, but they were far more welcoming and hospitable than were their Gibraltarian counterparts, a fact that, at that time I felt to be rather ironic, as their Lord and Master, the very nice Mr. Franco, used to take a great delight in closing the border willy-nilly .

As I recall there were a couple of border closures in '67, prior to the big one in '69.

I also remember that a couple of detachments of Hunter Mk6s were allocated to North Front, in order to undertake border patrols, and generally 'show the flag'.

The ground crew lads lads, who accompanied the aircraft, looked upon Mr Franco with a degree of gratitude, as spending time in Gib, where the sun was shining, and the beer and fags were cheap, was far better than being stuck in the UK; and a detachment to Gib was looked upon as being a really good 'Jolly'.

Those were the days ! :giggle:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
With regards the airport it would in effect become a Spanish airport and not a British one.
(Of course it would also mean that it will no longer be an RAF base.)

Our message is clear: we will not have Spanish authorities in charge of anything in any shape or form within our territory.
Have you used Eurotunnel recently as the French do have their customs boarder checks here.

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Apropos of nothing, what a sorry state of affairs.

The people of Gibraltar voted against Brexit, as that best suited their needs and purposes.

They seem to want to remain under the protection of the British, and to be on the receiving end of British financial support.

When I was stationed at RAF North Front, back in the day, Gibraltarian bar owners, restaurateurs, shopkeepers, & etc. were all happy to take tour miserly Service pay off us, but they never really 'enjoyed' our presence, or made us feel welcome.

They also kept their daughters well locked-up.

It was a very strange, and to some extent one-sided, relationship.

The Spanish bar owners, restaurateurs, shopkeepers, & etc. over the border in La Línea de la Concepción, were equally happy to relieve us of our hard-earned cash, but they were far more welcoming and hospitable than were their Gibraltarian counterparts, a fact that, at that time I felt to be rather ironic, as their Lord and Master, the very nice Mr. Franco, used to take a great delight in closing the border willy-nilly .

As I recall there were a couple of border closures in '67, prior to the big one in '69.

I also remember that a couple of detachments of Hunter Mk6s were allocated to North Front, in order to undertake border patrols, and generally 'show the flag'.

The ground crew lads lads, who accompanied the aircraft, looked upon Mr Franco with a degree of gratitude, as spending time in Gib, where the sun was shining, and the beer and fags were cheap, was far better than being stuck in the UK; and a detachment to Gib was looked upon as being a really good 'Jolly'.

Those were the days ! :giggle:

We are not reliant on UK financial support.

I will add that we locals were treated like poo by many forces personnel.
When young, my friends and I were regularly pelted with stones and rocks if we dared to come anywhere near forces family quarters.
Not to mentioned shouted and sworn at.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
With British authorisation.
Of course ......it's just a method whereby any delays and backups are into the car park and not into the tunnel as it would be if the immigration and customs procedures where done on each's own territory........

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Of course ......it's just a method whereby any delays and backups are into the car park and not into the tunnel as it would be if the immigration and customs procedures where done on each's own territory........

Yes indeed.
A completely different scenario to Gibraltar.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Sorry I thought you were agreeing that it was sad that as a race we still behave the way we do

May 13, 2024
Lancshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Axess
Exp
Caravan since 1983 - Motorhome since 1997
We are not reliant on UK financial support.

I will add that we locals were treated like poo by many forces personnel.
When young, my friends and I were regularly pelted with stones and rocks if we dared to come anywhere near forces family quarters.
Not to mentioned shouted and sworn at.
I think you will find that there is a general 'reflective' tendency amongst human beings, so that if people are treated like Ess-Haitch-1-Tee, then they can expect to be treated in similar fashion.

Just out of interest, how old are you, and when did you last reside in Gib ?

Things may have changed, but I doubt it ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back