Something to send a shiver up your spine! (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
Returning from our first ever European tour we were about 90 minutes from the Dieppe ferry.

As I navigated a roundabout I glanced in my near side mirror (offside in France, i.e. middle of the road side) and was momentarily confused as to why I could only see (what I thought) was the side of the motorhome. A split second later as I exited the roundabout, there was a loud bang as the habitation door slammed shut (and the expected view returned)! 😧😥😥😥😥

I have absolutely no idea how it was open in the first place and the thought of the potential repercussions while driving made me cringe. Needless to say, we now ensure that before we drive off every time, we check it, lock it AND put the security lock in place. 🔑🔒

Luckily, nothing fell out, including the step that sits right by the door during travel
(or Julie 😄)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If had not been closed properly it would still catch on the first latch, so sounds like someone tried to get in. A bit odd as never seen any immigrants around Dieppe these days since they all got moved on a few years ago.
We always travel with the hab dood locked.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Have you stopped and checked inside the van? If anyone got in they would have struggled to reclose the door while you were going around a roundabout.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Her and her other half don’t wear them in the motorhome. She always says, well they don’t have seatbelts on buses !.

Despite her friend being killed locally in a low speed car crash.

Point out to her that they are fitted on long-distant coaches and that normal buses do not go at expressway speeds.

I am unsure about your liability in various countries for not ensuring that your passengers are secured.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Point out to her that they are fitted on long-distant coaches and that normal buses do not go at expressway speeds.

I am unsure about your liability in various countries for not ensuring that your passengers are secured.
I once had a family member who refused to put her seatbelt on. I stopped the car and told her to get out. She put it on.

May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp

In Spain you would be fined if any passenger is not wearing their seatbelt.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I once had a family member who refused to put her seatbelt on. I stopped the car and told her to get out. She put it on.
I drive a minibus full of teenagers on a regular basis.

I simply tell them, every single time, like a cracked record, that anyone not wearing a seatbelt will be charged for a new windscreen as they come flying past.
Just because they are dead, it would not stop me charging their parents.

They have all heard this 'joke' so many times it's rare for them not to put them on automatically.

But, if there was ever a refusal, then I'm not driving any further with them on board.
They can explain to their parents why they have been left on the side of the M1 in the rain in the middle of the night.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
I drive a minibus full of teenagers on a regular basis.

I simply tell them, every single time, like a cracked record, that anyone not wearing a seatbelt will be charged for a new windscreen as they come flying past.
Just because they are dead, it would not stop me charging their parents.

They have all heard this 'joke' so many times it's rare for them not to put them on automatically.

But, if there was ever a refusal, then I'm not driving any further with them on board.
They can explain to their parents why they have been left on the side of the M1 in the rain in the middle of the night.
That's what I said to my family member, if you are not wearing your seatbelt in an accident, you would slam into me at a force so great I would not survive.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I'm sure they are, the passengers cannot necessarily get points on their license, especially if they don't have one.
To be fined road traffic offence you don't need a driving licence!

Without looking into the actual rules, UK drivers can certainly be fined for under 18's not having seat belts on.

But I think the fine for over 18's without seatbelts (who are not the driver) maybe down to the individual.
(Very difficult for say a taxi driver to insist on a seatbelt to a passenger)

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to confirm or correct me!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp

Without looking into the actual rules, UK drivers can certainly be fined for under 18's not having seat belts on.

But I think the fine for over 18's without seatbelts (who are not the driver) maybe down to the individual.

Yes, you could be right. Makes sense really.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007

Funny you say that the last few times I have had a taxi I struggled to find the clip for my seatbelt and I told the driver that but he just kept on driving which I thought was odd :unsure:

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
And in the UK.
The driver is responsible for (all?) passengers wearing seatbelts
From Highway Code
Driver not responsible unless passenger un 14yr old

Screenshot_20240705_224040_Chrome.jpg

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
In my mind it's more about the safety of the driver. If your passenger refuses to wear a seat belt if they are sitting behind you then chuck them out. If they don't care about their own safety then so be it, but don't put me in danger. So sorry to the OP but we have really gone off topic. I'm out :giggle:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
90 minutes from the dieppe ferry is miles away .. I doubt it would be an immigrant. Van could be going anywhere

It's more likely to have not been closed properly. I always lock my hab door when driving as I have had one fly open on a previous van ...most likely due to it flexing.

Not as bad as when the garage door opened on the frankia in Spain and a few items did fall out .. that was embarrassing

OP
OP
Purrfecttune
Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
90 minutes from the dieppe ferry is miles away .. I doubt it would be an immigrant. Van could be going anywhere

It's more likely to have not been closed properly. I always lock my hab door when driving as I have had one fly open on a previous van ...most likely due to it flexing.

Not as bad as when the garage door opened on the frankia in Spain and a few items did fall out .. that was embarrassing
Years ago I did three Months as a milkman. One day as I was going around a roundabout, the rear cabinet flew open depositing a crate full of empty glass bottles all over the road 😵😵😵😵

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back