Solar Power Outage due to Dust (1 Viewer)

Mar 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
Iveco Daily 70C17
This is an interesting one that may help other MH users in the same situation. Over the last 4 days I have dawdled down from Bilbao to Tarifa, ready to get the ferry to Morocco tomorrow morning. I noticed today that I was getting no charge from the solar panels (3 x 200W Renogy) even though the sun is very bright and hot. Went into panic mode - no chance of expert help in Morocco - I'm doomed, so had a glass of very cold white wine to think about it.

I managed to get up to a point above the van to study the roof with binoculars - no sign of physical damage to the panels or wiring, but the panels were very dusty (having been cleaned before leaving home last week). Another clue came from the Victron solar controller app, which showed the solar power falling from 360Wh on Saturday, at a max voltage of 23.29V to 0Wh at max voltage of 13.93V over the last two days - no gradual reduction, just a step off. I think the supply voltage (13.9V in this case) has to exceed the system voltage by 5-6V to produce any power, so this at least confirmed the system was undamaged, but not achieving a high enough voltage to produce power.

Having borrowed a ladder from the campsite owner, and mopped down the panels to get rid of the dust (which was quite stubborn), I am now getting power again, at 21.49V - its 8:00 pm local time and the sun is on the way to setting. Smiles all round and more white wine consumed. I am guessing that the plume of Saharan dust that is passing over Spain and France was to blame - it is quite thick and apparently quite sticky.

So the moral is - don't panic like I did, drink some wine and wash the roof, in that order. Then drink more wine.
Happy trails!

Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
Thanks for that. I'm just fitting new solar panels. 2 × 175w.
Was thinking of putting Rainex on them to help keep them clean. Has anyone done this? Of course might not be good with dust.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Rainex doesn't last very long in my experience and it's proper function is to make water form beads.
(y)
It only works O.K. on my m/cycle visor as the rushing air drives off the droplets.
It's especially important for me as I ride one-handed so can't take my good (left) hand off the 'bars to wipe the visor (or scratch my nose or eject a bee from my full-face helmet :confused:)

K lever.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This is an interesting one that may help other MH users in the same situation. Over the last 4 days I have dawdled down from Bilbao to Tarifa, ready to get the ferry to Morocco tomorrow morning. I noticed today that I was getting no charge from the solar panels (3 x 200W Renogy) even though the sun is very bright and hot. Went into panic mode - no chance of expert help in Morocco - I'm doomed, so had a glass of very cold white wine to think about it.

I managed to get up to a point above the van to study the roof with binoculars - no sign of physical damage to the panels or wiring, but the panels were very dusty (having been cleaned before leaving home last week). Another clue came from the Victron solar controller app, which showed the solar power falling from 360Wh on Saturday, at a max voltage of 23.29V to 0Wh at max voltage of 13.93V over the last two days - no gradual reduction, just a step off. I think the supply voltage (13.9V in this case) has to exceed the system voltage by 5-6V to produce any power, so this at least confirmed the system was undamaged, but not achieving a high enough voltage to produce power.

Having borrowed a ladder from the campsite owner, and mopped down the panels to get rid of the dust (which was quite stubborn), I am now getting power again, at 21.49V - its 8:00 pm local time and the sun is on the way to setting. Smiles all round and more white wine consumed. I am guessing that the plume of Saharan dust that is passing over Spain and France was to blame - it is quite thick and apparently quite sticky.

So the moral is - don't panic like I did, drink some wine and wash the roof, in that order. Then drink more wine.
Happy trails!
I'm surprised that a light dusting would totally stop the panels working. I've often had my panels covered in dust and they still worked although obviously not as well as a clean panel.

Are you sure the lack of charging wasn't down to the batteries already being fully charged? You might have 600W of panels but the controller won't allow them off the leash if there is no need.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Was thinking of putting Rainex on them to help keep them clean. Has anyone done this? Of course might not be good with dust.
Somewhere on here is a thread ref this. I recall reading in the past. The outcome was not a good idea, leave as they are and just a wash over now and then..

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I am guessing that the plume of Saharan dust that is passing over Spain
Depends on the area also.Here ,where I live , it is normal to clean the panels twice per week. The dust is extremely bad without any need for saharan. Fixed house panels around the area suffer the same problem.Some are extremely bad. The commercial centre up the road to me has three huge banks of panels that have never been cleaned,apart from rain & we haven't seen any of that for a couple of years,& the loss of power must be huge?
Or drive faster so it doesn't get chance to settle. :giggle:
doesn't work.
I am always pleased when In the Uk that I never have to clean my panels.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
I bought a extendable pole with a fitment on it with a cleaning pad affixed about 9 inches from the pad I can adjust the angle so it is about 90% to the pole, I then soak it in water and by using feel (when the pad drops over the other side of the panel)wash the panels and hope that I have cleaned them , never lost charging .

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
When I did the annual roof wash this spring the panel was green with mold more than so than I remember. I can’t check the output but the batteries stayed charged over the winter during our of grid stays and stood on the drive.
Having an older motorhome with a ladder up the back I have no excuse for not keeping it clean. Maybe if I could monitor the output I would try to keep it clean.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I'm surprised dust would stop the charging completely 🤔
I think with 600w your controller may have just ended the charging anyway.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.

Happy trails!
Will this remedy work with other alcoholic beverages, I don't like wine? :unsure:
Mike

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
Pulled my MoHo out the shed today, after following this thread I thought I’d do a experiment , 2 x 100 watt panels , i was getting 7.2amp , then I cleaned the dust off the panels ( wasn’t overly bad ) went up to 7.4amp , so made a slight improvement

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
If solar panels were that susceptible to dirt buildup, residential panels that never get cleaned would be useless.

I'm also betting that between the driving and the good early sun, the batteries are charged by 10am. So you're never seeing a full peak load.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
If solar panels were that susceptible to dirt buildup, residential panels that never get cleaned would be useless.

I'm also betting that between the driving and the good early sun, the batteries are charged by 10am. So you're never seeing a full peak load.
Residential panels tend to be at an angle so tend to be self cleaning, but I do agree with you, the effect of dust/dirt is over estimated, we were in Spain last November and were covered in sand, I thought I would clean them and we would get more power, but it was barely noticeable.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think you have a problem with your panels a coating of dirt & dust will reduce the output but only by 10 or 20% it won't kill it.
I've had my panels covered in Sahara sand and it's only reduced the output by a couple of amps. I carry a telescopic ladder so I can clean them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back