So now the FUN begins - ArtoFun (1 Viewer)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
So next step in our MH journey…..

It’s been a long time coming but the day now beckons when the new ice cream van arrives. It did start a while back with some reasonable logic, as follows:

That funny 2020 year when all things got strange and we used the van quite a bit, many weekends and as i still worked for myself i may have conducted an odd Teams/Zoom meeting from a lakeside, riverbank or even beach. One morning i think i had 35 people on a presentation i was running from at least 10 countries and was by the lake and it was early doors around 6am with a fantastic sunrise. So van, children, dogs and an odd bit of work seemed to go together some how. Don’t know why but we started talking long term and those days when the youngsters won’t want to come with us and we can tour the World and leave our troubles behind.. well the youngsters asked why wouldn’t they want to tag along for a good few years yet, after all food was free and so was the vacation🤔 And i think it was this realisation that got us both thinking a bit more long term and what our MoHo needs would be over the next 10yrs. In the middle of that and during that financially challenging period i decided that working for one’s self with a 50% variable income was getting to be a bit risky and very fortunately i was able to work for one of my clients with a regular contract, bit of a relief really.

Some time around then we were at a campsite in Italy and a Clou rolled in, MAN based real deal N&B, just a proper machine and on talking to the owner i started to get interested in finding a bit more about N&B and so the story started……

By mid 2021 we had decided to upgrade and it was either A) a second hand German camper beginning with the letter M or maybe even C but then we’d have to buy a vehicle around 4yrs old or B) a slightly newer Flair or even C) a new Arto specced as we wanted but with a healthy lead time.

Looked at a few of the option A’s but as i knew we’d be blowing most of the budget on this van then i was a bit concerned about inheriting something that may quite soon need some serious £££ spending on it and with all the complex systems and plenty of features beyond my service skills coupled with hugely expensive labour rates here it kind of put us off a bit.

Option B was pretty much the route we’d decided and had a van lined up (2020 880 LE) but there was something about an Arto that appealed and also being able to spec it to our needs rather than accept a compromise, but then we were being told the delivery date would be May 22 😳 that from an August 21 order, at that time it seemed crazy, oh if we only knew😂

We bided our time (or were just lazy and slow…) and took the plunge in Sept 21 and placed the order for an Arto 85E specced as we wanted with Face - Face and a few extras… (ok most of the option list🤫). We’d already lined up a buyer for then then current van, all arranged and with a nice deal on both sides. Then we get the news in early 22 that Fiat would be deliverying no chassis to N&B that year so we’d need to wait until early 23🤷‍♂️

So current van was sold, new van wasn’t coming for months and then what to do ??? The dealer had a reasonable idea (if we wanted): he offered us a 6 months old Carthago C-Compactline that we could use for the period until the new Arto arrived and then we could either trade it back with him as part of the deal with an agreed value or sell it privately - we jumped at the it and have really enjoyed the Tardis as we called it as for a sub 7m van it was quite amazingly spacious and just a great van.

So with a plan for the van in 2022 we just had to wait a bit longer until the new one arrived, what could go wrong ???

Whilst sorting out some paperwork for the insurance i realised that my C1 status hadn’t been transferred onto my Swiss license from my UK license when i swapped it over years before😳 a quick trip to the local Service des Automobiles (DVLA) and after a few strong discussions it was clear there was no way they were willing to reinstate my orignal driving categories, OK it was quite some years earlier but it was them that had removed them. Next question, how do i now get the C1 status back ? Well that would probably take +6 months and cost about £5k in lessons and tests, many tests as I’d certainly fail the theory multiple times as it was 180 questions that you had to learn and they’d test you on only 30 of them ie you needed to know all of them because to get a pass you needed to get 27/30… So plan B was explored😉

I checked with the DVLA that if i switched back to my UK license if they would add back on my original categories, yes sure they said, give us 2wks and you’ll have it back like new. No need for a medical or anything else just a D1 form and last week this arrived:

F82B95DA-C31A-40BA-A6ED-5278D78E8E7E.jpeg

Step 1 complete and now in process for the switch back to a CH license, this time with C1 category😁 this in itself though is quite a process as i have to get my commune to sign off the application form, have a medical with a certified Dr and then an eyesight test as a C1 here is considered as a professional category. All in process and should be sorted next week🤞

So we got wind of the Arto being almost complete in Polch and i found an excuse to visit a customer that’s about 30mins away and had the chance to see our van just before final completion:

B43C91BA-2B75-46FD-A20F-BC278135ADC4.jpeg

188D35D5-7AC6-4677-957E-30331C2E7987.jpeg

A53C1B0E-590A-4DD3-B23B-9BD971C4114B.jpeg

The Polch team said they were just missing some parts for the Alko HY4 system but the van would be finished in a week or so🤞 So 2 weeks later our dealer informs me that she’s here, already at his place and already well on the way to being ready. Few pics from todays visit to his workshop, space was super tight so hard to get any full shots:

FFC9FDE0-CB0B-4138-8A65-435E04F67E82.jpeg

HY4 is obviously working👍🏻

CE834A00-77A9-413E-9DFA-06EA065077C3.jpeg

Also completed was:

• Rear bedroom TV installed (recycled from the Carthago)
  • Alugas (2 bottle) system installed (has to be done in CH here and then signed off)
  • Front Goldscmitt as we had decided after ordering to have full air instead of rear only
  • Underfloor aircon as it was cheaper at the dealer vs factory fit, just had the factory install the ducting kit

Underfloor aircon going in: lower floor is cut out and then the unit is installed from below and then sealed back up again.

BB85C758-2285-4F9E-A912-3DE7A65CCA0B.jpeg

Still to be done is the install of the Poynting MIMO 3-17 connected to the Teltonika RUTX12 wifi system that should arrive on Friday, glad I’m not drilling the hole and happy it’s Sandro the ace Swiss German technician, he’s fast becoming my best friend 😂

So Carthago sold and being picked up next week.
C1 license almost done
New ice cream van nearly ready for collection

Then the real fun begins and hopefully some happy memories for the next 10yrs or so👍🏻

EAE543AA-C161-478B-B3E0-CD22FBF20E90.jpeg 6D93E170-B789-4BAC-97B8-9EF9CBA2E9B0.jpeg

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Great van👍 enjoy. Interesting way to fit air-con for sure.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I would be scared to walk in that, let alone get it dirty on a road. Lovely! 👍

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Nice, love the way it levitates! And how you saved 5k on the C1, I bet you've spent it already!

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Nice, love the way it levitates! And how you saved 5k on the C1, I bet you've spent it already!

Yeah those additional options took care of that quite easily 🤫

Just waiting on the router and antenna to arrive now.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
But aircon pumps in cold air which sinks, so isn't one mounted on the roof more efficient for spreading the cold air throughout the space?

Correct although the outlets from the unit are at head height😉 2 in the living area and 2 in the rear bedroom.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Got the Poynting antenna and Teltonika router today, the cable of which is a tad large so definitely glad I’m not drill that hole in the roof now…. Just dropped it off at the workshop:

25E7A947-666B-4532-BD63-7D18C8086336.jpeg

645D4896-D16D-421D-955B-7789F469DAA0.jpeg

9ED08D3F-7B46-4F7D-9E05-5EBB28C4C902.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Correct although the outlets from the unit are at head height😉 2 in the living area and 2 in the rear bedroom.

Thanks. That was not apparent.

I was very interested in your options of A, B, C in your OP as it almost coincides with my thinking.

I do not entirely agree with your idea that with a 4 year-old machine you might be spending £££s in a few years, because we have had our 2003 Arto for 14 years and have spent very little on it.

We are visiting Polch in May for some repairs to blinds and flyscreens so I shall be looking around. We are following that with Morelo's open days, but I am unlikely to buy while living in Poland since there is an 18% Excise tax to pay. OH's Mother died last September so we may move country, then a new acquisition is possible.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks. That was not apparent.

I was very interested in your options of A, B, C in your OP as it almost coincides with my thinking.

I do not entirely agree with your idea that with a 4 year-old machine you might be spending £££s in a few years, because we have had our 2003 Arto for 14 years and have spent very little on it.

We are visiting Polch in May for some repairs to blinds and flyscreens so I shall be looking around. We are following that with Morelo's open days, but I am unlikely to buy while living in Poland since there is an 18% Excise tax to pay. OH's Mother died last September so we may move country, then a new acquisition is possible.

To be honest I’m pretty sure you’re right about a 4yr old high end van cost but it was just the maybe part and that coupled with super high service costs here that made us think a bit. And then i thought we do still need a retirement dream for Mrs R and i once the youngsters really have flown away😉 Until then this should do us for the next 10yrs

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Got a collection date now of Friday next week (24th). The dealer said come for lunch and then we’ll do the handover afterwards, he said plan 4hrs 😁 so dinner might be a bit late that day…..

I reckon I’ll have a headache afterwards as there‘s quite a bit to learn.

First shake down weekend should be 8th - 9th April and then the 2nd week after Easter for a full week down in the Côte d’Azur.

Also need to build the garage storage system once it arrives, it will just be a Rako box and alu frame job by that i will knock up. Then the bike rack system for which i have an idea but need to fabricate something for that as well🤔

So a few more sleeps😴

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
She’s here !

2E73CADD-CEAF-46A2-BF78-AC87F0A6921E.jpeg

756B572E-228B-4E1D-8A07-9123F4DEDF92.jpeg

A thoroughly grotty hand over day with it raining almost the entire time and the drive back but it was a nice 3hrs hand over with a few adjustments being done and many things being explained, 99% of which I’ve already forgotten 😂

She’s now put away in the hangar and ready for some serious fettling this weekend 👍🏻

1FF2504A-A74E-485C-84B8-4EF353A3D332.jpeg

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Looks lovely,I hope you all have many happy trips in her ( speaking as a keeper of a teenage daughter).

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
First trip away for the Easter weekend. Weather improving today so hopefully some warm sun this afternoon 😁

View attachment 736728

Enjoy your weekend.

With that set-up you obviously do not intend to do Aire or Wildcamping

You seem to have a lot of transport, but is the hotair balloon one of yours? ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Had a week in Saint Tropez the other week, a better chance to tweak a few things and learn the a bit more about the van:

IMG_5150.jpeg

Got the first 3 month check up booked in a month but the list is quite small, Alde system bleed, that coffee machine replacement…. And sort the weighing function on the Goldscmitt (it may just need calibrating).

Ordered some custom made bottom sheets from Pahl in Germany:

IMG_5280.jpeg

IMG_5281.jpeg

Which was mainly as we have an insert that was made for the centre, the other sheets were standard ones they sell, very nice quality stuff.

And here’s proof we are successfully keeping the dog off the sofa😂

IMG_5152.jpeg

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Well the snag list became a bit longer:

1) centre steering wheel as it was a couple clicks off on it’s splines
2) check tracking as there was always a slight pull to the right
3) calibrate the GS system as it was way off…
4) check Bluetooth connection on the GS seems not to be present
5) as above for the Alko system
6) front drop down bed is very stiff up/down
7) kitchen sink trap seems not to be working or maybe blocked
8) aircon doesn’t work when engine is running, only on hook up
9) that chuffing coffee machine😂
10) Alde check up

Dropped the van off on Monday this week and will pick it up tomorrow. The guys at the dealer seemed very professional and had even arranged for English manuals from NiBi and also AMV for the supplementary heating system👍🏻 so finally i can work a few more things out.

Need to get it back tomorrow as we’re off at the weekend to the Pyrenees, Tour de France, San Sebastián and Biarritz for an early Summer break.

Still thinking about having a Birdview camera fitted in the UK when we’re back over in August at Trailer Vision, need to decide soon…..

Also need to decide if I’m going to install a proper bike rack in the garage, so far haven’t bothered as things are pretty tight in there.

This weekend will be our 5th trip out in the Arto since collection 3 months ago so happy we are getting good use out of our little ice cream van😁

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back