Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
I do not disagree but I do wonder, if it like the language used, it's not really more ignorance just a big change in what is accepted as normal?

Think back to you and your parents?

Mine thought that being able to afford/want a car as a teenager was beyond the pale.

Owning your own home was something for senior white collar workers.

Don't even think about sex before marriage!

Standards have moved, maybe we need to accept the change?
I take your point but those particular examples didn’t adversely impact the people sitting next to them. People now more regularly have sex before marriage but thankfully we haven’t yet got to the stage where they do it loudly next to you in a coffee shop. Give it a few more years though 😀

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Each to their own, I would like to see a campsite tell me I couldn’t take a call, work related or not.

Seems an odd thing to be annoyed about.

Perhaps wild camping on your own in remote places away from others would be better?

It's not just about mobile phones is it. So many people nowadays just seem to be complexly unaware of the noise and disruption they cause to others - or aware but just don't care.

As for 'each to their own' - me being quiet doesn't disturb/affect/impact on anyone. someone being loud unfortunately does. It is possible to live life without annoying others with a little thought and consideration.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil Terrestra
Exp
Since 2004
Guilty as charged M'Lud! For coming up 40 years. Satchel phone and a whip aerial while camping with the kids, Sometimes on the phone for 15minutes before teh battery went flat than had to walk out to a phone box. It was either that or never going away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil Terrestra
Exp
Since 2004
People now more regularly have sex before marriage but thankfully we haven’t yet got to the stage where they do it loudly next to you in a coffee shop.
A coffee shop back then only sold coffee beans that they would grind if requested.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
I've noticed a recent frequency of people being completely unaware of others around them.
You feel like shouting "Am I invisible?" as they barge past or step backwards onto you.
Or people who chat loudly at a concert - the last one was David Gray - hardly a headbanger. I've given up on concerts at the Utilita stadium as people arrive drunk and coked up and the atmosphere is too edgy.

One of the joys of retiring is being able to avoid busy places.

Aaaah - nostalgia, not what it used to be.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
It's not just about mobile phones is it. So many people nowadays just seem to be complexly unaware of the noise and disruption they cause to others - or aware but just don't care.

As for 'each to their own' - me being quiet doesn't disturb/affect/impact on anyone. someone being loud unfortunately does. It is possible to live life without annoying others with a little thought and consideration.
I never said it was okay to be inconsiderate.

You are stopping on a site next to others, their idea of fun may be different to yours, that’s not inconsiderate.

Inconsiderate is expecting others to modify their behaviour to their detriment to suit you.

It’s a tin tent, you are on a campsite right next to others. If you don’t like phones, kids, dogs, people, then there are loads of places to be in isolation.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I read somewhere a few years ago, probably on Facebook there was someone complaining about loud music next to them and the girl next door said "you're not spoiling my holiday! I'll do as I want!"

Generally :
These selfish attitudes are what is taking our freedoms away, rules and laws are being created by the hundreds to control our every action, because we are selfish, over populated, and can't be trusted to act reasonably.

Height barriers
Minimum alcohol price
Sugar tax
20mph speed limits
OTT Health and safety
CCTV

Just a few that spring to mind

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
I never said it was okay to be inconsiderate.

You are stopping on a site next to others, their idea of fun may be different to yours, that’s not inconsiderate.

Inconsiderate is expecting others to modify their behaviour to their detriment to suit you.

It’s a tin tent, you are on a campsite right next to others. If you don’t like phones, kids, dogs, people, then there are loads of places to be in isolation.

I can watch tv. listen to music, have conversations with the wife or on the phone, without disturbing the motorhome on the next pitch. I have actually took the step of wandering 15 metres from my van to check that my music isn't too loud. Other people however see incapable of doing this.

Really? So anything goes? I'm the problem? Well, where does that end?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
The great thing about a busy Spanish bar or restaurant is that it's impossible to use a phone - the noise from normal Spanish folk 'talking' is enough (y) :giggle:

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Really? So anything goes? I'm the problem? Well, where does that end?
I never said that either.

Life is too short to get annoyed about things like people taking a phone call on a campsite, which is what the OP was complaining about.

We all want different things, alas we all have to share the limited space so compromise must be made.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp

On this last trip it has got to me the number of people who are on their smart phones when we are trying to relax and get away from it as much as we can.

Whilst accepting the need to be in contact in case of emergencies, conversations - most of which are far too loud and are made outside of their units - are either of an inane or work related sort.

Work-from-home has in my opinion exacerbated the practice immensely and campsites will need to keep a handle on this as intrusions increase and traditional camping stays disappear.
Would you have campsite owners or wardens visit the offenders and tell then they cannot use their phones outside their camper/caravan?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've no idea about the dangers, but I can't imagine that having a Bluetooth earpiece buried in your head all day and half the night does not carry some health risks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back