Sheltered living/Active retirement apartments, Good idea? (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Mother In law is in one of these housing 21 places

She's renting with benefits paying the majority of the rent, she sold her house and spent the money on gifts, holidays, cars and decorating the flat.

It's quite an eye opener tbh as I never would have considered one before seeing hers but there's minimal interference, just like having a flat of your own. There's a social life on site , community room with bingo and on trips our organised. There's an emergency comms system in each flat as well and an onside manager. We'll worth looking at if you can set yourself up for it correctly.
They look very fairly run (on first glance)

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Children’s inheritance ?
If your children are worth their salt, they’d prefer you to be safe, settled and content before worrying about what may be left to them after you die.
Not meaning to be casual about anyone’s plans in terms of leaving something to family or friends. I realise it’s an important part of many folks planning (including mine) but the idea is to LIVE until you die and deciding where to call home is an important factor of that and, as several have rightly mentioned, that varies enormously from person to person based on their personal needs and preferences.

tinkertaylor

Free Member
May 11, 2022
Castle Bromwich, Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Started self build December 2020, finished April 2022
They look very fairly run (on first glance)
They are from what we have seen. Costs are relatively low, compared to some I have read about. The support can be hit and miss depending on the individual site managers, the MIL has had 3 in 4 years, some good some not so good. Maintenance support is decent, they sort it out and they come and do the work. If you don't require 24 hour 7 cover help and are relatively self sufficient then they seem a decent solution to housing in the UK for the over 55's, especially if you aren't cash rich.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Firstly, you need to ensure it's you, not your mum employing the carers.
It means she can't fire them.
Same applies to the live in carer.

Sooner or later one of three things will happen.
  • She will be taken into hospital, and will not be sent home without a care package (see 2&3 below).
  • She will be moved to a care home
  • She can have a live in carer.
Whilst she is still fit enough to make the decision, give her the options.
Otherwise the point will come when you have to make the decisions.

It far better to get the resident carer in before its required rather than after.
(And they don't even have the rights of a tenant, they are guests. Just ensure the POA's and Will are done before they arrive.)
Mum is so nasty that a previous care company and a previous cleaning firm refused to return even though my sister was the employer.

When she had her stroke and was in hospital we were told she would go to an assessment unit but New Year's Day Mum was asked of she wanted to go home "Yes please" "Right arrange to be picked up this afternoon". No care plan, no assessment of her living arrangements, nothing.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Mum is so nasty that a previous care company and a previous cleaning firm refused to return even though my sister was the employer.

When she had her stroke and was in hospital we were told she would go to an assessment unit but New Year's Day Mum was asked of she wanted to go home "Yes please" "Right arrange to be picked up this afternoon". No care plan, no assessment of her living arrangements, nothing.
I believe the term to use is “Unsafe Discharge”. A nurse once told me to use this term if the hospital tried to send a person home without proper arrangements being in place. Ask for written confirmation that they consider her discharge to be safe she said.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MaidinDevon

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Update

I have chatted with a resident on the complex. She is still working age, loves it, quiet, friendly, but you can join in or not. She's joined a walking group and the choir in the town..
Management company are good.
So........
I accepted an offer on mine yesterday, and put in an offer, which has been accepted on one of the apartments, at a keen price.

Its ground floor, with outside space, parking space just outside.
(Not allocated),
I will want to update it but is livable.

Just need to find storage for the van.

Thanks everyone for your input. It has been very helpful especially shared experiences of schemes, and reassuring that I am not too young to consider this option.

If I hated it, I feel sure I could sell on, without making a loss.

Just in time too, BF to Santander in a week, and 3 months down South!

If all goes well I will come back and organise a move to my new home.

Thanks again everyone.

Karen

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Update

I have chatted with a resident on the complex. She is still working age, loves it, quiet, friendly, but you can join in or not. She's joined a walking group and the choir in the town..
Management company are good.
So........
I accepted an offer on mine yesterday, and put in an offer, which has been accepted on one of the apartments, at a keen price.

Its ground floor, with outside space, parking space just outside.
(Not allocated),
I will want to update it but is livable.

Just need to find storage for the van.

Thanks everyone for your input. It has been very helpful especially shared experiences of schemes, and reassuring that I am not too young to consider this option.

If I hated it, I feel sure I could sell on, without making a loss.

Just in time too, BF to Santander in a week, and 3 months down South!

If all goes well I will come back and organise a move to my new home.

Thanks again everyone.

Karen
Nice one you must be so excited hope all goes smoothly

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
MaidinDevon - Karen, glad you are sorted. When I purchased my retirement apartment last September I moved in on a Friday, spent the night in it (got the bed made up!) and on the Saturday morning went off to France for 3 weeks! worked well for me as I had a great holiday relaxing after the move and came home to begin my new life.
I hope your new apartment is all you wish for - mine certainly is 👍

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Does anyone have experience to share, good and bad?
Currently in a nice flat, but second floor, and no lift and it's getting tiresome, especially when loading or emptying the van.
Lucky me, because I now qualify for age restriction property, so could buy a warden supported place. It's quite cheap on maintenance charges, and ages 55 plus I also live alone.
I don't have any mobility or health issues that need support at the moment.

I am considering a standard ground floor flat, with moho parking, but I mile from any shops, and no bus route or
an assisted living flat which is within .5 Mile of town, on a bus route, and there is a railway station. Also, U3A and a swimming pool, as it's a bigger town.

will I become a senior sleuth??? A la Richard Osman or get cabin fever due to the curtain twitching, can I live in OAP suburbia, I've never been keen on housing estates.,,,,,

I can't retire yet, but planning to in the next year or two. Will I want lots of social activities, once I have lots of time on my hands.

IN summary, am I being sensible and future proofing, or jumping ahead too soon. My previous MO would be impulsive and short term decision making.

Look up mcarthy and stone issues.

Hope your search for a good one works out

DandJ

Free Member
Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Best of luck with the move. It will be interesting to read your updates. Good, well run places like the one you're buying at must be on the cards for many.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.