Series 8 Ducato - Checking Oil (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Hi not sure yours is the same mine doesn't have a dipstick,, but If yours does and its not showing any oil you may want to put some in , or get a longer one 😁😀😄
as posted above I put 200ish mils in yesterday where it showed on dip stick just above minimum now shows max on dash display but not on stick.

Jun 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
DETHLEFFS Eurostyle
Exp
since 2019
One important item most have missed, make sure you're on level ground, if not sure move somewhere which is flat. Overfilling can cause other problems

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
One important item most have missed, make sure you're on level ground, if not sure move somewhere which is flat. Overfilling can cause other problems
Van slopes slightly to the front where dip stick is , that is the engine one not the one looking at it :ROFLMAO:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Slightly confused🤔.

13,000km in from new, oil warning light comes on. Picked up relevant oil, and after searching seemed that 1ltr would likely take it from min level to max level (2023 Ducato, 2.2 180hp). Added 1ltr but no change on the level gauge 🤷‍♂️ I’m guessing it‘s the sensor and maybe it‘ll behave once it‘s been run a bit. Won‘t add any more as i assume the min level reading was correct and now it‘s just confused.com…

This after adding 1ltr of new oil:

IMG_7592.jpeg

Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Slightly confused🤔.

13,000km in from new, oil warning light comes on. Picked up relevant oil, and after searching seemed that 1ltr would likely take it from min level to max level (2023 Ducato, 2.2 180hp). Added 1ltr but no change on the level gauge 🤷‍♂️ I’m guessing it‘s the sensor and maybe it‘ll behave once it‘s been run a bit. Won‘t add any more as i assume the min level reading was correct and now it‘s just confused.com…

This after adding 1ltr of new oil:

View attachment 913325
Be careful adding oil. I would go to a Fiat Professional to check. Sensor is tricky. I had an issue once, they had to reset it with the computer.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Be careful adding oil. I would go to a Fiat Professional to check. Sensor is tricky. I had an issue once, they had to reset it with the computer.

Thanks, yes why I limited the top up to 1ltr and based on what I’ve read 1ltr over the first 10-15k km seems quite about right, maybe even low.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Thanks, yes why I limited the top up to 1ltr and based on what I’ve read 1ltr over the first 10-15k km seems quite about right, maybe even low.
In a few years time when the sump rusts through and perforates, (or even before) I would buy the old type replacement that had a dipstick in it!
I hate all this reliance on sensors when it's just another electric thing to go wrong! 😡

PS. My X250 2.3L engine uses NO oil between 2 yearly change despite having 66k on the clock and driven to UK limits. 👍

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
So quick closure on this one.

1) Oil warning light came one.

2) Checked level and it showed at minimum level

3) Checked what was the approx amount needed to top up, seems to be 1ltr from the min level

4) added the 1ltr but level still showed as minimum ie it didn‘t change

5) ran the engine a bit, no change. Did a quick run a round the block, no change….

So Saturday evening we set off on a long trip and of course in my mind was, I’m pretty sure the oil level is good but i have no way of knowing, what if i have an oil leak etc….

Drove around 500km and all of a sudden the warning stayed off and the level showed 3/4 between the min and max ie pretty much where you‘d want it to be.

So i can only assume in my case that it‘s taken these few start, stops and some KM‘s to get the sensor to read correctly.

Not ideal by far but at least it‘s now working, i think🤔😮‍💨

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
So quick closure on this one.

1) Oil warning light came one.

2) Checked level and it showed at minimum level

3) Checked what was the approx amount needed to top up, seems to be 1ltr from the min level

4) added the 1ltr but level still showed as minimum ie it didn‘t change

5) ran the engine a bit, no change. Did a quick run a round the block, no change….

So Saturday evening we set off on a long trip and of course in my mind was, I’m pretty sure the oil level is good but i have no way of knowing, what if i have an oil leak etc….

Drove around 500km and all of a sudden the warning stayed off and the level showed 3/4 between the min and max ie pretty much where you‘d want it to be.

So i can only assume in my case that it‘s taken these few start, stops and some KM‘s to get the sensor to read correctly.

Not ideal by far but at least it‘s now working, i think🤔😮‍💨
What kind of mind thinks abandoning a dipstick in favour of an electronic oil level sensor is progress?

Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
I thought I'd add this info here.
It explains how to properly read the dreadful oil level sensor on the 8 series.
It's already in the manual, but here's a little more explanation.

From FIAT Australia (!)

1724747381925.png

There is a very specific set of conditions that are required to be met to get an accurate reading on the gauge. These conditions are: (Page 265 of your owners manual)

Engine Stopped:
The engine must be at operating temperature.
The vehicle must be on level ground.
Wait a minimum of 6 minutes after the engine has been turned off.
Turn the ignition on without starting the engine.
Wait a minimum of 20 seconds before reading the oil level on the gauge.
Engine Running and Idling:
Idle the engine and wait a minimum of 1 minute before checking the oil level gauge.

If you:
Start the engine accidentally after the 6 minute wait, you will need to wait a further 6 minutes or follow the engine running and idling procedure.
If the vehicle is on a lean or not level, the reading will not be correct.
If the engine is not at operating temperature, the reading will be incorrect.
If you do not get a satisfactory reading, we recommend that you recheck it again before adding any oil.

Understanding the markings on the gauge:
The image attached is a simple understanding of what each marking represents.

Understanding the Gauge:
The total volume of oil represented on the gauge is the top (approx.) 1 litres only.
Each segment between the 2 arrows in the picture is about 200ml.
The very bottom segment is on or below minimum.
The very top segment is full or overfull.
Do not:
Do not put more than 1 litre of oil in the engine if the gauge is showing minimum or above.
If the gauge is not reading any level, we recommend that the vehicle gets to an authorized Fiat Professional Dealer to address this issue. This may require the vehicle to be towed.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992

From FIAT Australia (!)

View attachment 940398

There is a very specific set of conditions that are required to be met to get an accurate reading on the gauge. These conditions are: (Page 265 of your owners manual)

Engine Stopped:
Idle the engine and wait a minimum of 1 minute before checking the oil level gauge.

If you:
Start the engine accidentally after the 6 minute wait, you will need to wait a further 6 minutes or follow the engine running and idling procedure.
If you do not get a satisfactory reading, we recommend that you recheck it again before adding any oil.

Understanding the Gauge:
The total volume of oil represented on the gauge is the top (approx.) 1 litres only.
Do not:
Do not put more than 1 litre of oil in the engine if the gauge is showing minimum or above.
If the gauge is not reading any level, we recommend that the vehicle gets to an authorized Fiat Professional Dealer to address this issue. This may require the vehicle to be towed.

Thanks, useful post but can’t help thinking a dip stick might be easier. My series 8 is currently in a Fiat garage to solve various warning lights and messages. Drives OK so suspect faulty sensor but Fiat technicians are baffled. Progress?

Last edited:
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Mine has just been serviced and I’ve played around with the oil levels to better understand how to read them.

Each of those illuminated segments, 2 to each of the white markers in Peavy photo above, I found to be 100ml of oil. Also I found the level on the gauge remained the same following the correct procedure as described and also when driving, which surprised me really

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal

From FIAT Australia (!)

View attachment 940398

Engine Stopped:

If you:

Understanding the Gauge:
Do not:
My 2022 Fiat which should be a Series 8 with full digital everything has a circular oil level gauge incidentally.
Have done a mere 8k so far and has only dropped two segments so presuming 400ml. More than happy with that if true. Bring back the dipstick they are fool proof!

Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Mine has just been serviced and I’ve played around with the oil levels to better understand how to read them.

Each of those illuminated segments, 2 to each of the white markers in Peavy photo above, I found to be 100ml of oil. Also I found the level on the gauge remained the same following the correct procedure as described and also when driving, which surprised me really
I believe they could have chosen a different kind of graphics, it's confusing with those bold white markings in the right side... (the circular display as dash300 has would work better)
Apart from that, the dipstick is really missed, I don't trust the system after it needed resetting to display the oil level after being serviced 🙄

Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
My series 8 was serviced last week and came back with the level at the top bar - which is what I expected after a service. This week while sitting slightly downhill for a couple of minutes at traffic lights, (stop start override on) up came the red oil can and an overfilled message.
It didn't clear until around 10 miles of "normal driving".
Dipsticks are not so fickle 😉
PXL_20240827_133433083.jpg

Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
My series 8 was serviced last week and came back with the level at the top bar - which is what I expected after a service. This week while sitting slightly downhill for a couple of minutes at traffic lights, (stop start override on) up came the red oil can and an overfilled message.
Dipsticks are not so fickle 😉View attachment 940761
oops, but it really may be a little overfilled.
I would check the level following the procedure above, to make sure it is not.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992

That being the case you were lucky not to overfill and suffer the consequences. Seems we now need a measuring jug to top the oil up, what a daft system and load of nonsense!

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
Our last motorhome (Peugeot) was slightly overfilled during a service (which I only noticed about a week later).
I ordered a large syringe and tube from ebay, pushed the tube down the dipstick hole and removed some oil.
A two minute job which saved me having to take time off work to bring it back to the garage.
I assume the only way to do that now would to to remove the drain bung from the sump?

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Our last motorhome (Peugeot) was slightly overfilled during a service (which I only noticed about a week later).
I ordered a large syringe and tube from ebay, pushed the tube down the dipstick hole and removed some oil.
A two minute job which saved me having to take time off work to bring it back to the garage.
I assume the only way to do that now would to to remove the drain bung from the sump?

You can buy a gizmo (various options) designed to remove oil from sumps - much used on inboard marine engines.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Dipsticks are not so fickle 😉View attachment 940761
Yes, I have just learned that overfilling with oil, particularly a diesel, can be really dangerous and a possible blown engine as happened to a friends work car some years ago.

My garage purposely under fills to about 3/4 to make sure this does not happen, but I wanted to see exactly what a segment equated to. My gauge is like yours.

He was telling me it takes over an hour to do dome of the BMW’s, how can a garage afford the time to drive the car for that time during service. At least ours is simpler.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
That being the case you were lucky not to overfill and suffer the consequences. Seems we now need a measuring jug to top the oil up, what a daft system and load of nonsense!
I had worked out what I thought each segment was and did use a calibrated cooking vessel to make sure I was accurate with putting in 100ml 😜

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
What kind of mind thinks abandoning a dipstick in favour of an electronic oil level sensor is progress?
The same type of mind that thinks relying on a rubber band to drive the cam shaft is a good idea and if it breaks it will destroy the engine. Oh and a £1,000 to replace it. Or, let’s put the clutch slave cylinder inside the bell housing so the gear box has to come off to fix it, nearly £2,000 that one.
You can hear their minds, what else can we do to make sure our Fiat garages get nice expensive unnecessary work. Oh, I know, we won’t share some important information in the service schedule and only put it in the computer that only Fiat Professional garages can buy. That’l teach them not to use non-Fiat mechanics. Me a cynic?

Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
I have a £15 pump from Lidl which is purpose made to suck oil out via the dipstick tube I used it for motorcycle gearbox oil changes.
But I guess that dropping the oil out via the drain plug is the only way with my overfilled series 8, as the garage that serviced mine say they need it on the ramp to lower the oil level. Hey ho......

Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
I have a £15 pump from Lidl which is purpose made to suck oil out via the dipstick tube I used it for motorcycle gearbox oil changes.
But I guess that dropping the oil out via the drain plug is the only way with my overfilled series 8, as the garage that serviced mine say they need it on the ramp to lower the oil level. Hey ho......
Just curious, did the overfill warning came back or has settled down?

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Just out of curiosity, the tube you put down the dipstick tube must be VERY narrow and for this reason, must be hard work.
Have you actually tried using it on your Ducato? 🤔

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back