Security suggestions

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Hi
We are heading to France and Spain for the first time. Have read some items re MH’s being targets of burglars both when empty and being slept in.
Have beefed up our security by adding Fiamma locks on locker and Hab doors, window catches, and am aware cab doors can be strapped to prevent opening.
Used to a bit of park up camping here in the UK and know to follow your gut!
Any other tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E412
Exp
Since 2007
Hi
We are heading to France and Spain for the first time. Have read some items re MH’s being targets of burglars both when empty and being slept in.
Have beefed up our security by adding Fiamma locks on locker and Hab doors, window catches, and am aware cab doors can be strapped to prevent opening.
Used to a bit of park up camping here in the UK and know to follow your gut!
Any other tips or tricks would be appreciated.
As others have said - don’t worry too much and follow your gut instinct about a place. Motorway rest stops are definitely no. We have a cargo strap between the cab doors, and a short broom handle across the hab door (through the pull handle). Remember you might need to get out quickly. External door locks say “no one in”. IMO alarms are just painful if you’re inside. Don’t leave your handbags/wallets/computers in the front footwellls. But mostly - relax and enjoy the travels. Burglaries are rare.

Upvote 0

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I suspect anybody with a knowledge of van alarms would also have a growler alarm disabled within 15minutes.
I’m not so sure. eddievanbitz can probably point to the thread, but there a story on here somewhere (I failed to find it) which showed how much trouble it really was to remove his alarm system.. it is a “nontrivial” task…

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
LMC Liberty 560 1992
Exp
Since 2017
My van was only ever targeted by thieves outside my own house - there is this idea here that people use vans and caravans to hide Christmas presents in - I think something similar happened in that serial 'the Closer' about 15 years ago if anyone followed it - it's quite funny the reaction of Brenda Lee's parents...

However, I had nothing in my van in December - but they rooted through it and left clothes, dvds, electrical things, bedding thrown all over the place having broken window catches to get in. I did a patchy repair on a semi functioning catch which could hold the window shut.

Two day later it had been popped open with some sort of implement, but no further intrusion. The window is now screwed shut at two points and my neighbours have not tried any other means to get in.

I think you'll find tourists much less threatening!

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
One gobby individual years ago accepted my challenge to attempt to steal my van, until he realised the caveat

If he triggered the system and we heard him, or we responded to the system calling us on our phones, that we would use the dogs and the baseball bats as we would any other potential thief

He declined continuing what he called ‘his investigation’ commissioned by no one, just a knowitall on ‘Facts’

My record was breaking in, hot wiring and alarm cancellation on a Compass Drifter, sub 20 seconds for MMM

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I’m not so sure. eddievanbitz can probably point to the thread, but there a story on here somewhere (I failed to find it) which showed how much trouble it really was to remove his alarm system.. it is a “nontrivial” task…
Long story, but here goes... My son's MH was stolen a couple of years ago, it was his pride and joy. Fortunately insurance paid out but he never wanted to go through that trauma again, so he bought another MH and went straight to Eddie who recommended going the whole hog with alarm, tracker and immobiliser. Son is sooooo grateful that he did.

Son put the MH into storage at Walton on Thames last autumn and went off travelling abroad. He had a Metratrak notification that someone had tried to start the vehicle, but wasn't sure if it was just that his batteries had failed. Then he had an email from the site saying there had been problems, but I spoke to them for him and they said his vehicle wasn't directly affected.

Son finally managed to get a flight home last week and this was how the inside of his van looked. He contacted Eddie who got straight onto Metatrak who sent out an engineer the very next day and sorted it for him. Son can't thank Eddie and Metatrak enough for all their help, despite being closed due to lockdown both came up trumps at his hour of need.

Son is convinced this was a very planned operation - the thieves had already removed half a dozen trackers from other units, plus cut off wheel clamps (he could see the scorched wheel hubs) and raised corner steadies of caravans, but they were held up by his MH which they just couldn't figure out how to get going - they even brought in a battery from another vehicle to bypass his one to see if that would work. The Metatrak guy said they very nearly cracked it, and they probably went off to research and would have been back to finish the job, at which point they would have broken the locks on the gates etc and taken all the MHs and caravans out in one big convoy. Quite a heist!

Son is so glad he managed to get back before it was too late. And Eddie is his hero :smiley:

View attachment 384649View attachment 384650

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Apacheman
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Survived our first night in a French Aire. Nonancourt aire is well set up with toilet, waste, water and electricity although we didn’t plug in and those that did seemed to have problems. The village is beautiful and well worth exploring. 6 vans in last night. Very quiet. Onward to visit some old neighbours today near Limoges

IMG_1454.jpeg IMG_1453.jpeg

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back