Security suggestions

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Hi
We are heading to France and Spain for the first time. Have read some items re MH’s being targets of burglars both when empty and being slept in.
Have beefed up our security by adding Fiamma locks on locker and Hab doors, window catches, and am aware cab doors can be strapped to prevent opening.
Used to a bit of park up camping here in the UK and know to follow your gut!
Any other tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Dancers

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
6 years
Interesting. We have a panel van - Looked up the Growler and it’s around £600 to £1K. Was wondering about VANGUARDIAN which was on Dragons Den, but not sure if you can sleep in it with it armed. Also heard that a screwdriver is all needed to get into cab doors? Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Apacheman
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
We have hab and locker Fiamma locks, deadlocks fitted on the front door, a steering lock and ''Beware - Bull Mastiff inside!!'' signs front and back (but no bull mastiff). I think this kind of thing puts thieves off, for sure. They are mainly looking for easy pickings. But if thieves are REALLY determined, I don't think you can do much. A couple of years ago in the CAMC site in Tredegar, Newport, thieves came to our van during the night and CARRIED AWAY our Beverly 350cc scooter (180kgs) which was steering-locked, had a disc-lock on the front wheel and was heavy-duty chained to my leccy push bike. Six of them (captured on CCTV) picked up the whole kit and caboodle and carried it away from our van, pulled up the ranch fence to the onsite field, dragged the lot across the field, then cut through the camp perimeter chain-link fence and took the lot into nearby woods where they could then separate the two with a portable angle grinder. The next morning when I discovered the loss, I followed the trail (I spotted the pulled up ranch fence and the drag marks through the grass) and found the scooter abandoned in the woods, with the steering column broken and (unbeknown to them) un-startable due to a flat battery which I'd intended to charge the next day. The leccy bike was long gone, though. My point is, if they are determined enough, the buggers will have it.................
I think you’re right about those that are determined. When all said and done it’s a wooden box with plastic and glass windows. Wouldn’t take much effort with a hefty crowbar. Done what we can and need to chill and go with the flow.

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Upvote 0

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Interesting. We have a panel van - Looked up the Growler and it’s around £600 to £1K. Was wondering about VANGUARDIAN which was on Dragons Den, but not sure if you can sleep in it with it armed. Also heard that a screwdriver is all needed to get into cab doors? Any thoughts?
The weakness on the cab doors is that they push a sharpened screwdriver through the thin metal below the handle and push the lever to unlock the central locking and in many cases turn off the alarm at the same time. This is almost silent to do

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Apacheman
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
The weakness on the cab doors is that they push a sharpened screwdriver through the thin metal below the handle and push the lever to unlock the central locking and in many cases turn off the alarm at the same time. This is almost silent to do
Is this the case with Ducatos of all ages? Same basic door design since about 2006 to present. Are the latest models still as vulnerable and have Fiat not done anything to address the problem?

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Vanbitz strikeback or Growler every time

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I think and this is something that many have commented on after fitting the alarm fit a tracker, fit an obd lock/safe fit a clutch claw fit a stop lock and a wheel lock. Fit as much security both electronic and physical as you can. It cannot make your MoHo un-nickable or unbreakinable but the more you fit the bigger the deterant. Vanbitz has an awesome reputation if you feel that’s not for you no one will judge but just fit as many deterants you feel is necaserry

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance
Exp
Since 1995
I fitted stainless steel plates to mine to stop the thief stabbing a hole under the lock and activating it with a slim tool. So they then tried stabbing out the lock insert instead! (tut!) And rather than tying the doors together i fitted some internal locks to both doors made by NEOSafe

Upvote 1

Stealaway

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I didn't see any point in spending a thousand pounds on an alarm when we would only leave a hundred pounds worth of valuable in the van - ever. And that would always be well hidden

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
From March 2023
We are part-way through our first journey abroad, currently still in France. We have used Aires and campsites and had no problems at all. I deploy a Stoplock, strap the front doors together ( and leave the side screens off so the straps and Stoplock are visible from outside). Our hab door has 2 double-latching catches - one at the top and one at the bottom. I have fitted a Fiamma hab lock door in the middle and always lock it when we leave. The windows are the weakest links, but if thieves are determined to break in, they will.

Upvote 0

SMB

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
We looked at that and it would have been better, but there is insufficient room at the side of the Hab door due to the bathroom bulkhead.
That's a shame as it does work well, I also had the flipper locks on the inside of the cab doors on the previous Ducato-based Moho but my current Transit-based layout isn't suitable for fitting them and there no door handles to run a cargo strap across so I'm looking for alternatives. No success so far 🙄

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
charisma 11 A class.
Exp
since 1972
Two solutions that i used inside on my previous Mo-Ho ,,a dog choke chain plus snap fittings for the Hab' door,,Plus a long bike cable & padlock for the cab doors .The Hab' door for the outside was secured with an additional deadlock,a Yale M69 when leaving the vehicle .

DSCF6613.JPG DSCF6614.JPG

Upvote 0

JaG

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Don't take a Rolex watch or carry £2,000 in cash. That way you should be safe in itself.
Listen to those who claim to have been gassed and they nearly all lose the Rolex and Cash. :rofl:
Seriously, just use your senses. If it feels uncomfortable then move on. We have used motorway by necessity when we had a caravan and never had a problem, though not recommended. Local vineyards sites, etc are a good bet.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
We have the Gemini alarm system. It can be set with internal sensors off so we turn it on at night. It's nice and loud so any door being opened at night would trigger it. It cost a couple of hundred fitted.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I saw that on DD, interesting idea but it was a bit 'ugly' and I could imagine on an aire etc it could be a nuisance as people walk past, not to mention some of the stray dogs in foreign climes (or even wild boar!).

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013
My tip is to stop worrying and enjoy your motorhoming.

You only read about the relatively rare, tricky incidents online. You never read about the thousands upon thousands of peaceful nights spent in motorhomes around the world.

JJ :cool:
Absolutely 💯

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
Motorhome noobs: Looking for a motorhome/campervan
Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I didn't see any point in spending a thousand pounds on an alarm when we would only leave a hundred pounds worth of valuable in the van - ever. And that would always be well hidden
It isn't what is in it but the fact that it might disappear. & no it isn'tany use saying "it is insured" whenyou are standing in the Uk with no vehicle ,the need for a vehicle to return home to spain as you have a dog. even buying one is a problem as no one will insure you in the Uk witha foreign licence. etc; etc,. so i do as much as i can to ensure A ) they can't steal it & B) hold them up that ui might catch them in the act & torture them before killing them slowly.
That's a shame as it does work well, I also had the flipper locks on the inside of the cab doors on the previous Ducato-based Moho but my current Transit-based layout isn't suitable for fitting them and there no door handles to run a cargo strap across so I'm looking for alternatives. No success so far 🙄
Yes i had that problem . so I drilled through the rear side of the 'B' pillar a 13mm hole all the way in to the first skin of the door window frame on both sides & insert 12mm stainless steel bars from behind whenever it is parked or I am sleeping in it.

Upvote 0

Stealaway

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
It isn't what is in it but the fact that it might disappear. & no it isn'tany use saying "it is insured" whenyou are standing in the Uk with no vehicle ,the need for a vehicle to return home to spain as you have a dog. even buying one is a problem as no one will insure you in the Uk witha foreign licence. etc; etc,. so i do as much as i can to ensure A ) they can't steal it & B) hold them up that ui might catch them in the act & torture them before killing them slowly.

Yes i had that problem . so I drilled through the rear side of the 'B' pillar a 13mm hole all the way in to the first skin of the door window frame on both sides & insert 12mm stainless steel bars from behind whenever it is parked or I am sleeping in it.
There's a big difference between having a break in and having the whole van nicked. I've always concentrated on stopping the van going AWOL . I've never been worried about simply theft . Mostly because I have very little in the van worth stealing.

Upvote 0

jordy74

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
c class
a few years ago in a motorway service station in France thieves tried to get into our van but i had tied our doors together across the cab the couple next to us were burgled as they slept on returning home i fitted anti lift levers on the doors and an additional dead lock on caravan door. On one site i was on near Lyon a German was robbed through his sun roof while out with his family in the evening,if they really want to get in they will but considering the number of vans and caravans it is still quite rare.

Upvote 0

SMB

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013

I'll have to look at the van layout as I think I understand what you mean, that sounds like a good workaround. I also found a website that has Heosafe cab door locks for Ford Transit but would need to confirm that they would fit a 2020 model

Upvote 0

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
49 years caravanning&motorhoming
Hi
We are heading to France and Spain for the first time. Have read some items re MH’s being targets of burglars both when empty and being slept in.
Have beefed up our security by adding Fiamma locks on locker and Hab doors, window catches, and am aware cab doors can be strapped to prevent opening.
Used to a bit of park up camping here in the UK and know to follow your gut!
Any other tips or tricks would be appreciated.
You are no more at risk than when in uk, just be security aware and follow your gut instinct, if you don't feel at ease somewhere, move on, just remember to NEVER EVER sleep overnight on a motorway service aire.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Get a dog. Like this one.

0619972A-82F2-43AB-AC53-268C1C5397A3.jpeg

Upvote 0

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
We have the Gemini alarm system. It can be set with internal sensors off so we turn it on at night. It's nice and loud so any door being opened at night would trigger it. It cost a couple of hundred fitted.
You can do the “night status” on the growler. Flick if a (discrete) switch. VaNbitz removed our Gemini system in about 15 minutes so I suspect the bad guys can do as well!

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Don’t think about the cost, the peace of mind the Growler gives you will save you £££s in drink and tranquillisers 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Upvote 0

Stealaway

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
You can do the “night status” on the growler. Flick if a (discrete) switch. VaNbitz removed our Gemini system in about 15 minutes so I suspect the bad guys can do as well!
I suspect anybody with a knowledge of van alarms would also have a growler alarm disabled within 15minutes.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I think you’re right about those that are determined. When all said and done it’s a wooden box with plastic and glass windows. Wouldn’t take much effort with a hefty crowbar. Done what we can and need to chill and go with the flow.
What wood?

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Take reasonable precautions, don't get paranoid or let it rule your life. Motorhomes are about freedom not slavery. Be thankful for insurance.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back