Sealant oozing on Dethleffs for sale (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Hello all. Id be very interested in your views on this. We've just been to look at a Dethleffs coach built at a large dealership in the south. The van itself was a 2020. very nice and well looked after inside. What I didn't like was black (silicon like) sealant ousing from a lot of the exterior points
20240624_154625.jpg

20240624_154635.jpg

20240624_154638.jpg

Reactions: Jim
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Yes, we have a Sunlight van off the same production line, and it has a bit of goo coming out of some joints, BUT absolutely no damp.
If a bit of goo is the price of a water ingress free van I can live with that, as can many many other owners. In the winter I'll spend 10 mins and clean it off.

Straw pole, reading this thread are there any owners of Sunlight, Carado, Dethleffs, with water ingress problems that have been built using the non setting gel??
Mike.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Your old van never leaked much either did it šŸ˜
The difference is my old van is 26 years old and cost 10k and it was bought blond without viewing it.

It doesn't leak now and you'd struggle to know that it did
On old second hand vans you expect there to be issues.

It doesn't excuse 4 year old van with sealant all around the Seams.

It's madness that there's folk on here that think that's exceptable

Which is why more and more people are buying new or nearly new vans at 60k - 120k with issues.

My 10k 26 year old van doesn't have any sealant oozing out seams making it look a shambles.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
The difference is my old van is 26 years old and cost 10k and it was bought blond without viewing it.

It doesn't leak now and you'd struggle to know that it did
On old second hand vans you expect there to be issues.

It doesn't excuse 4 year old van with sealant all around the Seams.

It's madness that there's folk on here that think that's exceptable

Which is why more and more people are buying new or nearly new vans at 60k - 120k with issues.

My 10k 26 year old van doesn't have any sealant oozing out seams making it look a shambles.
Just saying people in glass houses šŸ˜‰ nice mastic seams šŸ‘šŸ»

20230721_161115.jpg

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Just saying people in glass houses šŸ˜‰ nice mastic seams šŸ‘šŸ»

View attachment 915245
That mastic seam wasn't factory šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø again its people like yourself accepting and making excuses for poor workmanship that create the problem. The manufacturer and the dealer are laughing and rubbing their hands at you and calling you mugs.

End of the day every old van I've bought I've repaired and sold for a lot more than I paid for it.

So your people in glass houses quote is totally irrelevant. You're comparing a 26 year old vehicle with numerous owners and bodges to a 4 year old vehicle that is substandard from new .

All I can say is if you've enough money to accept shite quality then it's your funeral

Personally I'd not touch any van that had sealant like that unless it was heavily heavily reduced to compensate.

The last time I saw sealant like that was on Adria caravans back in the 90's they were usually riddled with damp .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
That mastic seam wasn't factory šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø again its people like yourself accepting and making excuses for poor workmanship that create the problem. The manufacturer and the dealer are laughing and rubbing their hands at you and calling you mugs.

End of the day every old van I've bought I've repaired and sold for a lot more than I paid for it.

So your people in glass houses quote is totally irrelevant. You're comparing a 26 year old vehicle with numerous owners and bodges to a 4 year old vehicle that is substandard from new .

All I can say is if you've enough money to accept shite quality then it's your funeral

Personally I'd not touch any van that had sealant like that unless it was heavily heavily reduced to compensate.

The last time I saw sealant like that was on Adria caravans back in the 90's they were usually riddled with damp .
I am no mug, may be buying vans unseen is being a true mug. šŸ˜šŸ™ˆ

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It's a lot easier to clean a bit of mastic off than rebuild a van šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
I went for option B and am happy with that choice. Good luck with steering the O.P. to option A.
Mike
I'm sure when it leaks in a few years it will need rebuilt but will cost more than the Ā£200 it cost to rebuild an old one.

Again like Ditcha you're comparing what the trade considers an end of life vehicle with something a few years old.

Not sure whether it's niavity or maybe some sort of defence as you're maybe not quite as comfortable in your purchase as you make out .. who knows

But you didn't build it , you didn't buy it , you don't own it so why you are so desperate to defend a substandard poor quality finish on a nearly new vehicle is beyond me .

I'll never be that mug .

The 2 cars I bought that were nearly new , 3 years old and 2 years old were mint when I bought them . Or I wouldn't have

Old second hand vehicles I expect to have issues , I'm capable of fixing those issues .

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
That's some going you've been on here since 2017 and only had a handful good on you need to take a leaf out of your book šŸ˜‰
I've been fulltime in a camper and put the UK 6-11 months each of those years .

P.s I was actually on here several years before šŸ˜ I returned in 2017 . Different username.

You can come up with as many straw man arguments as you like bud ....you have no actual point.

As I said before unless you personally are offering the op a guarantee on that van if he buys it then any advice you've given so far has been poor at best.

There are others on here who's oponion on motorhomes I'd take far more notice of than yourself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Unsightly, but effective. Nicer if it could have been colour matched, but it isn't.You're welcome to pop round with your non invasive moisture meter at any time to check my van for moisture ingress, but there isn't any, as can be attested by it's yearly checks, and mine.
What the O.P. posted is definitely the non setting gel and not a dealer lash up.
You're welcome to buy your choice of spotless leaking van, I'm happy with my slightly blemished dry van.
It's a free market and if the O.P. hasn't got bored and wandered off I'm sure they are now more educated.
Mike.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Unsightly, but effective. Nicer if it could have been colour matched, but it isn't.You're welcome to pop round with your non invasive moisture meter at any time to check my van for moisture ingress, but there isn't any, as can be attested by it's yearly checks, and mine.
What the O.P. posted is definitely the non setting gel and not a dealer lash up.
You're welcome to buy your choice of spotless leaking van, I'm happy with my slightly blemished dry van.
It's a free market and if the O.P. hasn't got bored and wandered off I'm sure they are now more educated.
Mike.
šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø still completely missing the point .

IF all the other brands , and all the other dethleffs models can manage to seal them up with no leaks but not have a load of unsightly goo all overr it why can't this one? ..

Sunlight I'd expect....its a budget brand , well actually it should still be presentable but its like buying a t shirt from primark and expecting m&s

But if the manufacturer can't make it right and the dealer can't present it right what hope is there.

There's a saying we deserve the standard we accept .

If I was buying new or nearly new I'd not accept that.

I have standards

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Mike.
Not wishing to get too involved with this argument as I think it's probably been going on long enough BUT just a word of caution concerning damp meters.

I once had a Coach that had a damp smell near the rear seat according to it's driver.

I and the Chief Engineer agreed so we did an extension test, a couple of times, with an expensive damp meter.
Nothing registered but the smell persisted?

On it's next MOT, we striped out the complete rear interior and found that a window had a hidden leak and it was going between the exterior metal body and the interior and had, obviously, been for some time as part of the card was sodden.

Why didn't it show, the plastic moisture membrane behind the seat cards were stopping ingress!

I know a Coach & Motorhome are constructed differently BUT, just because it doesn't register, doesn't mean it isn't there? šŸ¤”

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø still completely missing the point .

IF all the other brands , and all the other dethleffs models can manage to seal them up with no leaks but not have a load of unsightly goo all overr it why can't this one? ..

Sunlight I'd expect....its a budget brand , well actually it should still be presentable but its like buying a t shirt from primark and expecting m&s

But if the manufacturer can't make it right and the dealer can't present it right what hope is there.

There's a saying we deserve the standard we accept .

If I was buying new or nearly new I'd not accept that.

I have standards
If that's your van in post#67 I'm happy for you, but more happy for me.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Give it a rest Tam, I'm bored, he ain't going to back down.
I'm bored too šŸ˜ that's the only reason I was entertaining him.

I remember people who bought lada's having the same attitude. And where are they now šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

The op thought it was naff when he saw it , his instinct was it wasn't right that's why he posted here.

Hopefully he'll trust that instinct and buy something better.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
I can put to bed any arguments here, this is absolutely the cause of the manufacturing process in the way it is sealed by Dethleffs.
I have had the same issue with my trend and it is a known issue on Dethleffs groups. Dethleffs even responded saying this was the way they sealed the motorhomes, (possibly not every model) and that it was safe to remove excess, which I have done with a credit card. This needs to be done in cool weather though when the sealant is firm enough to remove and not like some would claim warmed up which would be a sticky nightmare.

I wasn't happy with the answers given by Dethleffs as it does look really bad, the motorhome itself however has been totally problem free and zero damp issues thus far.

Photos are prior to me removing the excess, this wasn't present when I bought it and has clearly pushed out the joints whilst being driven in warm weather over a period of time.

FB_IMG_1719430063200.jpg

FB_IMG_1719430056021.jpg

FB_IMG_1719430080847.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Saucer
Oct 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Thank you all. I certainly didnā€™t mean to stir up a hornets nest of friendly debate:rolleyes::LOL:
As it happens weā€™re still deciding on what we want and we looked at this van because we really like the layout, but we donā€™t intend to buy this particular one as weā€™re not ready to buy yet. That probably makes us tyre kickers, at least at the moment:giggle:
We do really like everything about Dethleffs generally and this one looked great apart from this. It was very noticeable as you can see from the pictures hence the thread.
Thank you for all the comments.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I can put to bed any arguments here, this is absolutely the cause of the manufacturing process in the way it is sealed by Dethleffs.
I have had the same issue with my trend and it is a known issue on Dethleffs groups. Dethleffs even responded saying this was the way they sealed the motorhomes, (possibly not every model) and that it was safe to remove excess, which I have done with a credit card. This needs to be done in cool weather though when the sealant is firm enough to remove and not like some would claim warmed up which would be a sticky nightmare.

I wasn't happy with the answers given by Dethleffs as it does look really bad, the motorhome itself however has been totally problem free and zero damp issues thus far.

Photos are prior to me removing the excess, this wasn't present when I bought it and has clearly pushed out the joints whilst being driven in warm weather over a period of time.

View attachment 915609

View attachment 915610

View attachment 915611
I thought they'd stopped using that type of joint years ago but obviously the trend isn't wood free construction.

One thing you should definitely keep an eye on are these rubber herzim trims
Screenshot_20240627_081112_Chrome.jpg

You can see they're already starting to perish and they then shrink. Beneath them is a load of screws that hold the panels together . The screws are usually rusting , i always wondered why they use mild steel screws but i believe its because stainless steel reacts with aluminium and the trim is aluminium. Anyway When that rubber seam shrinks water gets in and seeps down the screw holes in winter that water freezes. It really is an outdated way to make a joint. Most nowadays use extrusion caps .

Most highend manufacturers moved away from those joints . They were the source of damp in my parents swift, eldiss and lunar , and are usually what killed caravans. ...even the new swifts use the cap method nowadays.

Despite what any dealer says , my concern would still be if the sealant is coming out from the joint it's not leaving much in the joint....and with that type of joint it really needs sealant in there.

You can buy the herzim strip on ebay and its very easy to change it. The trick is to catch it before it becomes brittle and from your pics that time is now.

I have it around my habitation door and gas locker etc ....i replaced every part of it last year.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
I thought they'd stopped using that type of joint years ago but obviously the trend isn't wood free construction.

One thing you should definitely keep an eye on are these rubber herzim trims View attachment 915696

You can see they're already starting to perish and they then shrink. Beneath them is a load of screws that hold the panels together . The screws are usually rusting , i always wondered why they use mild steel screws but i believe its because stainless steel reacts with aluminium and the trim is aluminium. Anyway When that rubber seam shrinks water gets in and seeps down the screw holes in winter that water freezes. It really is an outdated way to make a joint. Most nowadays use extrusion caps .

Most highend manufacturers moved away from those joints . They were the source of damp in my parents swift, eldiss and lunar , and are usually what killed caravans. ...even the new swifts use the cap method nowadays.

Despite what any dealer says , my concern would still be if the sealant is coming out from the joint it's not leaving much in the joint....and with that type of joint it really needs sealant in there.

You can buy the herzim strip on ebay and its very easy to change it. The trick is to catch it before it becomes brittle and from your pics that time is now.

I have it around my habitation door and gas locker etc ....i replaced every part of it last year.
I presume you mean the outer strip and not the inner one with the sealant?
What is the process for replacing the strips, any tutorials about. Does the old strip literally just pull off and then what is the method of securing the new one?

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I presume you mean the outer strip and not the inner one with the sealant?
What is the process for replacing the strips, any tutorials about. Does the old strip literally just pull off and then what is the method of securing the new one?
It's a rubber insert that presses in to a chanel ...its the grey bit in the middle .

You can get a small tool to feed it in to the chanel. But yes it just pulls out then you replace it with new strip. Loads of it on ebay at various prices. Few different sizes too but yours looks like the common 12mm .. on yours I think it goes right from the front along both roof edges and down the back. The roof area is probably more dried out than the back as the sun shrinks it.

I've not looked on YouTube but there's possibly videos on there showing how to do it.

First had to replace that on my parents vans in the early 90's so I've done it a fair few times now .

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
It's a rubber insert that presses in to a chanel ...its the grey bit in the middle .

You can get a small tool to feed it in to the chanel. But yes it just pulls out then you replace it with new strip. Loads of it on ebay at various prices. Few different sizes too but yours looks like the common 12mm .. on yours I think it goes right from the front along both roof edges and down the back. The roof area is probably more dried out than the back as the sun shrinks it.

I've not looked on YouTube but there's possibly videos on there showing how to do it.

First had to replace that on my parents vans in the early 90's so I've done it a fair few times now .
Thanks, do you use some form of sealant/adhesive to secure it in place?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back