Sealant oozing on Dethleffs for sale (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Hello all. Id be very interested in your views on this. We've just been to look at a Dethleffs coach built at a large dealership in the south. The van itself was a 2020. very nice and well looked after inside. What I didn't like was black (silicon like) sealant ousing from a lot of the exterior points
20240624_154625.jpg

20240624_154635.jpg

20240624_154638.jpg

Reactions: Jim
Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7010
Exp
Since 1974
I give up….🤷🏼‍♂️
Gary, think you should have a look at some modern(ish) vans produced by the Erwin Hymer group, I've been looking for a change and have been looking at Sunlight, Carado and although not Hymer group Weinsberg, a majority of the ones I've seen have the oozing sealant mentioned, don't think is a problem, certainly not unusual

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
As long as it's excess and not the correct amount leaching?
One has to wonder though, if it is excess, where else is it running into? 🤔
If it is pushing inwards I'd have thought it would be into either the roof or wall sheet end cut, I see no problem with that scenario🤷

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Gary, think you should have a look at some modern(ish) vans produced by the Erwin Hymer group, I've been looking for a change and have been looking at Sunlight, Carado and although not Hymer group Weinsberg, a majority of the ones I've seen have the oozing sealant mentioned, don't think is a problem, certainly not unusual

But if you zoom in on my picture you can see there is sealent on the rail that has not come from the joint, the op said there were other vans doing the same in the same yard, I just think the dealer bodge boys have been trying to cure the damp for the reasons that they bought cheep vans and slap a bit sealent around the joints to cure the problem…

Even if it’s from manufacturing I’m just amazed that people think this is ok to be happening on a 4 year old van when we have had a couple of sunny days…☀️😎 what’s it going to be like if your sat in Spain for the summer…🤷🏼‍♂️

Whichever it is it needs investigating before anyone buys a van that this is happening too…🤔

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
But if you zoom in on my picture you can see there is sealent on the rail that has not come from the joint, the op said there were other vans doing the same in the same yard, I just think the dealer bodge boys have been trying to cure the damp for the reasons that they bought cheep vans and slap a bit sealent around the joints to cure the problem…

Even if it’s from manufacturing I’m just amazed that people think this is ok to be happening on a 4 year old van when we have had a couple of sunny days…☀️😎 what’s it going to be like if your sat in Spain for the summer…🤷🏼‍♂️

Whichever it is it needs investigating before anyone buys a van that this is happening too…🤔
Thanks for your concerns. Can I also reassure you my eyes are all good, just had them checked. AS an owner of such a van can I say I have no concerns and have asked at every ingress check, "is this an issue " and been assured, no it isn't.
I note you have a panel van so not really a thing you need to concern yourself over as you don't have a dog in the fight so to say.
Mike.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Thanks for your concerns. Can I also reassure you my eyes are all good, just had them checked. AS an owner of such a van can I say I have no concerns and have asked at every ingress check, "is this an issue " and been assured, no it isn't.
I note you have a panel van so not really a thing you need to concern yourself over as you don't have a dog in the fight so to say.
Mike.

Had three vans before with same construction and I have never seen anything like that…

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Had three vans before with same construction and I have never seen anything like that…
We have had 3 Hymers the only sealant oozing out has been a minute amount around the window on the side parked facing the sun on my drive, so small you only notice it when washing the van. Had the last van 7 years.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
My Dethleffs is the same ,I was told at collection it's normal and you can trim but don't be over zelous, when I visited the factory theu confirmed it's normal and not to worry it's the best van I've ever owned,enjoy.
Told the same with our Burstner. Never trimmed it just left out to ooze. Its now got character.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
We have had 3 Hymers the only sealant oozing out has been a minute amount around the window on the side parked facing the sun on my drive, so small you only notice it when washing the van. Had the last van 7 years.

Yeah that’s too much coming out of them joints Lenny…. Sometimes you can lead a horse to water…😉

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I think a few people need to go to specsavers….😎
Agreed .. I'd not touch that with your bargepole lol.

I've had burstner x2 , euramobil x2 . Frankia, mobilvetta x2 , hymer x2 . Autosleeper.

Parents had swift, eldiss, lunar ,autosleeper, ci, and a few other really old ones

Sisters had liaka and autocruise

None of them ever had sealant coming out the joins like that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Maybe that is why so many modern vans leak.

Can't say I've ever had that on any older vans. Had a few where there's been a very small very straight and neat bead that has dried out and perished but never seen a mess and eyesore like that on any.

I'd agree with @Justsmiffy and say it looks like some shoddy work from a dealership. .

I know when this 26 year old van I own went through Brownhills in 2017 they did some really terrible bodges to cover up leaks. Which is why when I bought it I had to strip back one side to the outer skin and replace it.

Dealers are notorious for getting their professional experts to ruin good vans

Edited to add

Having a quick look on ebay at the countless dethleffs motorhomes for sale and zooming in on the pics I haven't seen any on there with sealant like that either . So it can't just be a manufacturer thing

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Bored with this now. Many thanks to those who have expressed opinions, well meant or otherwise. I have a moisture meter and routinely check all around the vans wall and confined areas and have only ever found slightly elevated readings on a stand alone garage door, which was easily remedied once I'd spotted the faulty area. I'm happy with my purchase, which didn't need a full strip back and reseal so feel I chose reasonably wisely, and I can live with a bit of goo on the sides now and again.
Mike.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Bored with this now. Many thanks to those who have expressed opinions, well meant or otherwise. I have a moisture meter and routinely check all around the vans wall and confined areas and have only ever found slightly elevated readings on a stand alone garage door, which was easily remedied once I'd spotted the faulty area. I'm happy with my purchase, which didn't need a full strip back and reseal so feel I chose reasonably wisely, and I can live with a bit of goo on the sides now and again.
Mike.
Just aswell it wasn't your van being discussed but one the op was viewing.

Unless of course you're offering him a guarantee should he buy a lemon 🙄

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Just aswell it wasn't your van being discussed but one the op was viewing.

Unless of course you're offering him a guarantee should he buy a lemon 🙄
The " discussion " seemed to become quite toxic and pointed quite quickly. As one of those with a van within the stable being discussed I felt my first person comments were of more value than comments from other members with vans manufactured in an entirely different manner. Of course the usual caveats of any purchase need to be adhered to, but unless you know to contrary I've never seen a post complaining of damp through the seams of any van manufactured using the non setting gel system.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The " discussion " seemed to become quite toxic and pointed quite quickly. As one of those with a van within the stable being discussed I felt my first person comments were of more value than comments from other members with vans manufactured in an entirely different manner. Of course the usual caveats of any purchase need to be adhered to, but unless you know to contrary I've never seen a post complaining of damp through the seams of any van manufactured using the non setting gel system.
No 2 vans are created equal even if they come off the same production line. The sealant on that van the op posted is an absolute mess.

As I stated above spend 10-15 minutes and view a load of dethleffs vans listed on ebay, autotrader etc and you'll struggle to see one of any age with sealant like that 🤷‍♂️

I think it's far better advice people telling the op to be wary than to just state " it's perfectly ok they're all like that " etc

The sealant is meant to stay in the joint ...if it runs out what's sealing the joint?

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
No 2 vans are created equal even if they come off the same production line. The sealant on that van the op posted is an absolute mess.

As I stated above spend 10-15 minutes and view a load of dethleffs vans listed on ebay, autotrader etc and you'll struggle to see one of any age with sealant like that 🤷‍♂️

I think it's far better advice people telling the op to be wary than to just state " it's perfectly ok they're all like that " etc

The sealant is meant to stay in the joint ...if it runs out what's sealing the joint?
How odd then that the dealer didn't remove all the excess gel, rather than leaving it on show, unless of course he knew it's a non issue. At some point it will stop oozing ,then what's left will be doing it's job of sealing the joint as the designer's intended.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
How odd then that the dealer didn't remove all the excess gel, rather than leaving it on show, unless of course he knew it's a non issue. At some point it will stop oozing ,then what's left will be doing it's job of sealing the joint as the designer's intended.
Interesting that you see it that way . If a certain quantity was filling a void surely if half that quantity or more runs out then the void is no longer full . The two pieces the sealant was between aren't and won't get any closer.

When I've removed and resealed windows/skylights etc you apply sealant push the two parts together and remove any excess . It doesn't keep coming out .

Maybe he just works on the principle that by the time there's a problem the warranty will have ran out. .

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Interesting that you see it that way . If a certain quantity was filling a void surely if half that quantity or more runs out then the void is no longer full . The two pieces the sealant was between aren't and won't get any closer.

When I've removed and resealed windows/skylights etc you apply sealant push the two parts together and remove any excess . It doesn't keep coming out .

Maybe he just works on the principle that by the time there's a problem the warranty will have ran out. .
Your comparing coconuts and apples. What you use is different.The factory gel is a non setting, ( try getting it off anthing) composition overpacked into the joint to allow for movement. It's like a self sealing plaster. Whatever, it works, "no damp in ere" Sunlight.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Ok, so it's fine. But let's all agree, it looks a mess.
I don't think it is fine with that amount oozing out. I've had 3 Hymers over 16 years they use butyl sealant only ever seen traces around the windows. I wouldn't go near that van.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Your comparing coconuts and apples. What you use is different.The factory gel is a non setting, ( try getting it off anthing) composition overpacked into the joint to allow for movement. It's like a self sealing plaster. Whatever, it works, "no damp in ere" Sunlight.

I've always used not setting mastic . Only the part exposed to air sets... inside its still gooey . If I removed the windows or roofvents from this van tomorrow the glue between them and the body would still be non set .

But OK. If dethleffs have someone created some super gel that no other manufacturer has come up with how come looking on ebay at all the dethleffs vans from 2004. 2008 , 2011, 2016, 2017,2020 , 2022,2024 ....there's not one ....not a single one with seams like that 🤷‍♂️

I'm also sure they are not the only manufacturer using non setting sealant. And as someone said earlier if that's happening in the UK I hate to imagine the state it would be in here at 35-40°

It also doesn't change the fact that if a certain quantity was applied and half of it is no longer there then there is definitely a gap where it was . That's science 🤷‍♂️

It looks a bloody mess , I'd not buy a 20 year old van that looked like that ....never mind a 4 year old one .

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
I've always used not setting mastic . Only the part exposed to air sets... inside its still gooey . If I removed the windows or roofvents from this van tomorrow the glue between them and the body would still be non set .

But OK. If dethleffs have someone created some super gel that no other manufacturer has come up with how come looking on ebay at all the dethleffs vans from 2004. 2008 , 2011, 2016, 2017,2020 , 2022,2024 ....there's not one ....not a single one with seams like that 🤷‍♂️

I'm also sure they are not the only manufacturer using non setting sealant. And as someone said earlier if that's happening in the UK I hate to imagine the state it would be in here at 35-40°

It also doesn't change the fact that if a certain quantity was applied and half of it is no longer there then there is definitely a gap where it was . That's science 🤷‍♂️

It looks a bloody mess , I'd not buy a 20 year old van that looked like that ....never mind a 4 year old one .
I get that you don't want to buy it, but it would a shame for the O.P. to miss out on a good van from a manufacturer with an reputation because of a ill perceived imperfection.
Wouldn't vans with any problems have become evident by now if there was a problem??, I can't recall seeing that thread
Would dealer's now in a buyers market be taking in such vans that are going to give them grief?

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I get that you don't want to buy it, but it would a shame for the O.P. to miss out on a good van from a manufacturer with an reputation because of a ill perceived imperfection.
No way is that a good van with that amount of sealant oozing out.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Wouldn't vans with any problems have become evident by now if there was a problem??, I can't recall seeing that thread
Would dealer's now in a buyers market be taking in such vans that are going to give them grief?
The point being as I said no other ones for sale that I can see have that issue🤷‍♂️

P.s I've nowt against dethleffs , I've admired a few of their vans. That particular one looks suspect.

I've not seen yours

But from what I've seen and heard on here nothing ABSOLUTELY nothing would surprise me when it comes to dealers. They often know nothing about what they're selling and after they have your money they're not that interested when there are issues.

Even if it wasn't faulty sealant it still looks absolutely shit and that alone would put me off owning it. It would drive me crazy. My vans 26 years old and there's marks on the bodywork etc that annoy me.. if it was only a few years old I'd want it perfect. I wouldn't want goo all over my hands ,sponge. Chamois everytime I washed it .

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back