Sealant oozing on Dethleffs for sale (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Hello all. Id be very interested in your views on this. We've just been to look at a Dethleffs coach built at a large dealership in the south. The van itself was a 2020. very nice and well looked after inside. What I didn't like was black (silicon like) sealant ousing from a lot of the exterior points
20240624_154625.jpg

20240624_154635.jpg

20240624_154638.jpg

Reactions: Jim

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Thanks, do you use some form of sealant/adhesive to secure it in place?
No it's held in by the grooves on the chanel that's why it fails when it gets old and shrinks. ... as its then loose and let's water under it .. this is an example of it replaced... excuse the dust
20240627_120743.jpg

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I can put to bed any arguments here, this is absolutely the cause of the manufacturing process in the way it is sealed by Dethleffs.
I have had the same issue with my trend and it is a known issue on Dethleffs groups. Dethleffs even responded saying this was the way they sealed the motorhomes, (possibly not every model) and that it was safe to remove excess, which I have done with a credit card. This needs to be done in cool weather though when the sealant is firm enough to remove and not like some would claim warmed up which would be a sticky nightmare.

I wasn't happy with the answers given by Dethleffs as it does look really bad, the motorhome itself however has been totally problem free and zero damp issues thus far.

Photos are prior to me removing the excess, this wasn't present when I bought it and has clearly pushed out the joints whilst being driven in warm weather over a period of time.

View attachment 915609

View attachment 915610

View attachment 915611

I would be worried that spending time in a hot/warm climate like going to Spain every year there won’t be much sealant left if it squeezes out like that every time, I certainly wouldn’t be happy with it…🤔

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Appreciate your help, I'll have a look at getting it done soon.

On the Coaches, it used to be used to cover the screw heads on the panels.

In cooler weather, one can make it more pliable by putting it in warm water and, if necessary, using a little rubber grease (not ordinary) for the older stuff.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Appreciate your help, I'll have a look at getting it done soon.
No probs.
On the Coaches, it used to be used to cover the screw heads on the panels.

In cooler weather, one can make it more pliable by putting it in warm water and, if necessary, using a little rubber grease (not ordinary) for the older stuff.
That's what it does on motorhomes too .. it covers the screws that are attaching the rear panel and roof panel to the side panels. That's why it's a daft idea as when it shrinks the water gets in rusts the screws and all hell starts to go wrong....sure it takes a while before the signs are really obvious but by then the damage is done. So I now replace that stuff as soon as I get a van it's on .

I think it cost me about £60 to replace all of it on my current van .

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back