Sealant oozing on Dethleffs for sale (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Hello all. Id be very interested in your views on this. We've just been to look at a Dethleffs coach built at a large dealership in the south. The van itself was a 2020. very nice and well looked after inside. What I didn't like was black (silicon like) sealant ousing from a lot of the exterior points
20240624_154625.jpg

20240624_154635.jpg

20240624_154638.jpg

Reactions: Jim
OP
OP
Saucer
Oct 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
...it is admittedly hot day but I wouldn't have expected that. It was soft to touch with the consistency of chewing gum. Strangley another dethleffs parked beside it had the same issue to a less obvious degree.
The sales guy gave me an unconvincing reassurance that 'it will be sorted when sold.
Any thoughts?

Upvote 1
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
...it is admittedly hot day but I wouldn't have expected that. It was soft to touch with the consistency of chewing gum. Strangley another dethleffs parked beside it had the same issue to a less obvious degree.
The sales guy gave me an unconvincing reassurance that 'it will be sorted when sold.
Any thoughts?
That sealant does not set. Just clean it up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
It is as said the non setting factory sealant. It's something you should be reassured to see, although a bit of a PIA It's doing it's job, and something you want to be looking at rather than for.
It's also used wherever they make cuts into the vans shell as well.

Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2013
Cabbunk Central
Funster No
MH
Carado T459
Exp
Not long enough!
So its not a problem? Everything else about the van seemed well put together
It isn't a problem. I would rather too much of the sealant than too little. We have enjoyed having fifteen Dethleffs over the years (from 30 years old to brand new) and they are excellently put together and supported by the Hymer Group parts network.

Upvote 1
May 13, 2024
Lancshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Axess
Exp
Caravan since 1983 - Motorhome since 1997
Are you sure that this is a 'black' non-setting sealant, and not sealant of another, maybe lighter, colour that has become badly discoloured ?

I suppose, at 4 years of age, a lighter coloured sealant would not become that black. It's difficult to tell from the photo.

The only thing that would concern me, (if it is black sealant) is that whoever was responsible for the sealant application, during the assembly process, did not do a very good job.

Over-sealed in many places; who is to say that it is not under applied in other areas ?

. . . . . . and why on earth use black sealant on a white structure ?

Unless I'm missing something, and this is standard Dethleffs procedure ?

Notwithstanding, it would tend to dissuade me from making a purchase, without a full damp check by an independent body or person, if such a person or body exists ?

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
None of the owners on here, seems to be worried but, IF I owned one and it's oozing out the bottom, is it not leaving an air gap at the top? +

If it's oozing at 26c, what's it going to do in temperatures of 40c? 🤔

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
I'd liken it to the gloop that can be run in tyres sealing holes on air contact. The joint sealant also partly dries on air contact sealing the joint. There's lots of much more expensive vans not using this technique that leak like a proverbial sieve. I'll take my chances on seeing a bit of seepage.
Mike.

Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
I have a 22 Model and the sealant is the same colour. It does stick out but not to the point it's overly visible.
We have just had its second damp check and all readings are very low.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I heard a story that another manufacturer when investigating problems with leaks found that it was because of sealant being incorrectly applied. They were supposed to put sealant on one of the panels and assembled straight away so it sealed to the one fitted up to it but at the end of the day sometimes put sealant on one panel and left it overnight before fitting to the second!
I would much rather have a motorhome with a bit of excess sealant visible than too little.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I heard a story that another manufacturer when investigating problems with leaks found that it was because of sealant being incorrectly applied. They were supposed to put sealant on one of the panels and assembled straight away so it sealed to the one fitted up to it but at the end of the day sometimes put sealant on one panel and left it overnight before fitting to the second!
I would much rather have a motorhome with a bit of excess sealant visible than too little.
As long as it's excess and not the correct amount leaching?
One has to wonder though, if it is excess, where else is it running into? 🤔

Upvote 0
Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Hello all. Id be very interested in your views on this. We've just been to look at a Dethleffs coach built at a large dealership in the south. The van itself was a 2020. very nice and well looked after inside. What I didn't like was black (silicon like) sealant ousing from a lot of the exterior points View attachment 914434

View attachment 914435

View attachment 914436
My Dethleffs is the same ,I was told at collection it's normal and you can trim but don't be over zelous, when I visited the factory theu confirmed it's normal and not to worry it's the best van I've ever owned,enjoy.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Saucer
Oct 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
My Dethleffs is the same ,I was told at collection it's normal and you can trim but don't be over zelous, when I visited the factory theu confirmed it's normal and not to worry it's the best van I've ever owned,enjoy.
That’s particularly good to hear

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Thinking out loud .... Could it be heated and smoothed off using a silicone edging tool? It would look neater and possibly a bit more uniform.
As for black sealant v white sealant.... I prefer black as it doesn't show the dirt and doesn't go green and blotchy .....

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back