LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
We're away in West Wales at the moment. literally LOADS of people seem to have these roof tent things. I just can't see the point of them. The review I've posted from CCC looks like many of the ones which are here where we are in a farmer's field. It says this one is at the "more affordable end" at around £1,250!!

So, you have to keep a large box weighing 52 kg somewhere, then find someone strong enough to help you to lift the thing onto the roof of your car. You end up with a structure, once folded out, which is the size of a normal £150 tent (which packs down into a relatively tiny bag). At least in a normal tent, you have access to your clobber wihout having to climb down an ally ladder each time you want a tea bag? You can no longer store anything in a useful roof box, because the roof tent is in the way. You can't really cook in it during crap weather, you can't really sit in it to wait out crap weather (such as we're experiencing at the moment), you can't leave the tent pitched and pop off in the car to the village for supplies. If you need to pee in the middle of the night, God help you if you've had a few, as you try to negotiate the ladder in the rain. In a gale, you're SOO much more exposed, especially as you can't park the car in front of the tent to shield it from the wind. The list goes on. I just can't see the point of them.

I suppose it's nice that people who have them are actually out camping and to each their own, but honestly, wouldn't it be cheaper, more practical and more comfortable just to buy a normal tent?

Just asking for a friend...;)

Oct 28, 2023
Funster No
MH
Chausson 728eb
For those that have not seen it, i thought you’d like to know.
You can lift the box tent off the roof of your vehicle, uncouple the ladder and set it up as a normal ground tent. The idea is, if you are out and about and you have had a long journey, you can set it up as a roof tent just about anywhere. Then when you hit a site and want to stay a few days, you can lift it off, set it up and go out and about in your car.
What roof tent are you referring to? ours certainly cant be used off the vehicle as the way into the tent is to all intents and purposes, underneath! This is the same with the vast majority of roof tents, if not all.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you can't leave the tent pitched and pop off in the car to the village for supplies.
What village would that be then.? These things are aimed at expedition vehicles travelling the wilds of africa etc, where wild animals would destroy a ground tent to get at the live food inside.
Not some clown who thinks it looks good in a field of cows.

Upvote 0
May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
What village would that be then.? These things are aimed at expedition vehicles travelling the wilds of africa etc, where wild animals would destroy a ground tent to get at the live food inside.
Not some clown who thinks it looks good in a field of cows.
Some cows are very dangerous!

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
Never used one but popular in Africa. Spiders, scorpions, snakes, ants kept at bay. Rocky uneven surface underfoot? No problem. No need to spend hours setting up camp.

Upvote 0
Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
What roof tent are you referring to? ours certainly cant be used off the vehicle as the way into the tent is to all intents and purposes, underneath! This is the same with the vast majority of roof tents, if not all.
All the roof tents I’ve seen are ladders up to the side! £1250.00

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back