LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
We're away in West Wales at the moment. literally LOADS of people seem to have these roof tent things. I just can't see the point of them. The review I've posted from CCC looks like many of the ones which are here where we are in a farmer's field. It says this one is at the "more affordable end" at around £1,250!!

So, you have to keep a large box weighing 52 kg somewhere, then find someone strong enough to help you to lift the thing onto the roof of your car. You end up with a structure, once folded out, which is the size of a normal £150 tent (which packs down into a relatively tiny bag). At least in a normal tent, you have access to your clobber wihout having to climb down an ally ladder each time you want a tea bag? You can no longer store anything in a useful roof box, because the roof tent is in the way. You can't really cook in it during crap weather, you can't really sit in it to wait out crap weather (such as we're experiencing at the moment), you can't leave the tent pitched and pop off in the car to the village for supplies. If you need to pee in the middle of the night, God help you if you've had a few, as you try to negotiate the ladder in the rain. In a gale, you're SOO much more exposed, especially as you can't park the car in front of the tent to shield it from the wind. The list goes on. I just can't see the point of them.

I suppose it's nice that people who have them are actually out camping and to each their own, but honestly, wouldn't it be cheaper, more practical and more comfortable just to buy a normal tent?

Just asking for a friend...;)

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
You have all missed the main problem with them.Any car roof has a load capacity of 75kgs so all adults using them are overloading the roof
The 75kg is dynamic roof load for when the vehicle is in motion, the static roof load is much more.
I wouldnt be happy up there but each to their own 👍

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
During a very windy and wet few nights on the west coast of Scotland there was a couple sleeping on the tiled floor of the toilet block as it was preferable to being in their roof tent.
You remind me of camping by the coast in Northumberland in the 70's, it got very windy in the night about 6 in the morning a pole broke on our tent I got up got a section of pole from the porch bit, more guy ropes and storm lashed the tent & went back to sleep.

When we emerged a few hours later I thought that's odds where are all the tents that were in the field last night ours was the only one left. Went over to the shower block I could hardly get in the place was full of piles of tents, gear & people. 🤣

Upvote 0
Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Loads out and about here in Norway.

Do they make sense? Well, the way they are being used out here makes them the equivalent of a campervan as compared to a caravan, using the debate you often see on here.

A regular tent is what you need if your staying on the same site for a week. Takes time to erect but you've got the benefit of a usable vehicle to explore the area.

If you're touring, spending just one night before moving on again, then a roof tent looks ideal. Goes up and down in seconds. No issues with finding a flat smooth pitch. No problem on tarmac or gravel as no tent pegs to try and get in. We're sharing our park ups quite regularly with them. Pitch up at a trail head car park in the evening, unfold your roof tent, make a brew and cook tea from the back of the car. Get a nights kip, and then up early to hike the following morning.

Regarding getting to go up and down for a pee in the night - I think that's an issue that most youngsters don't need to concern themselves with for a few years! 😀

Our youngest daughter bought one this year. Just spent two weeks sleeping in it at crew camping at Green Man festival. She's got a standard tent as well but likes the ease of use and comfort of the roof tent. Only issue is in very strong winds when it can induce a feeling of sea-sickness! 😀

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
And if you want to really feel part of the in crowd, you have to put it on top of one of these.

2802F212-1DDF-4B4A-9AEB-4EEE4A4A7F36.jpeg

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19
You have all missed the main problem with them.Any car roof has a load capacity of 75kgs so all adults using them are overloading the roof

exactly / as above

Here they use them to overnight on long journeys.

In north devon this year I watched one get a ticket for doing that.
Yup,
I always wonder if anyone bothered to check their car manual for maximum roof loads,.
With two adults in them I reckon most are exceeding it.
Might be interesting in an unsurance claim.

Undeclared modfication?

Graydo

Upvote 0
Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Yup,
I always wonder if anyone bothered to check their car manual for maximum roof loads,.

Undeclared modfication?

Graydo
I mentioned this when our daughter was looking to get one. She sent me this link from the manufacturer. Apparently there's a difference between static load and dynamic load.

Upvote 0
Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
I always have to go in the night ,I wouldn’t be very good coming down the ladder it would be a disaster unfolding especially after a drink🤭

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Yup,

Undeclared modfication?

Graydo
I've got a mental image now of someone driving around with one up and people in it! I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone has tried!

Upvote 0
Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
My son had one in the USA, they live in Brooklyn but during holidays head to the interior of New York state, the idea being they are safe on the roof of their truck away from wild critters, that’s until my lad went to a natural history museum and saw how tall a grizz actually is, and how a pic of a lion that jumped onto the roof of a 4x4 truck in Africa. The conclusion is, it’s not critter proof.
So they bought a house in upstate New York and one in La La land instead.. sensible eh!

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ManTheVan

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
This was our set up many years ago, but as you say it started getting to be a pain in the night after a few sherbets trying to negotiate the ladders, and packing it was a pain in the arse so we sold it and kept the fox wing, have just sold the defender sadly and purchased a new shape.
View attachment 937569
View attachment 937570
This is almost exactly the rig that the Landy in our field has. Looks really good....but it's a Landy and it's a full kit with shelter and cooking facilities.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I had a great time in a tent, caravan, motorhome, I would also have a great time in a roof tent. They are easy to put up and the mattress and bedding are already sorted, ideal for overnight stops.

Unlike us, they can park everywhere too. :)

Upvote 0

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Wow, interesting to read a lot of rubbish written and general poo pooing of what someone else is enjoying. I’m sure many think the same of old farts in their plastic delivery vans driving slowly.

Each to their own. We all do things that others don’t understand.

Exactly. I’m sure that in the morning when these guys pack up they are happy to be driving a regular car and not an ice cream van😂.

Lower cost way for people to enjoy the outdoors and not have to have another vehicle…

Seen some pretty amazing set up with rook tents and always impressed by them, sort of envy the simplicity really. I’m also prefer to sleep off ground rather than on it, never done it but I’m sure it makes sense.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
It's a fad. For aspirational younger trendies. Let them live out their "safari" fantasy. Until they become envious of the full facility PVC next door, when it is blowing a gale and their tent keeps rocking all night (for no better reason).

If the car is not on level ground, how does the roof tent get levelled? Is there some sort of adjustment built into the frame for the fussier user?

[I am not too fussy about a pitch being 100% level, but if the MH is tilting a bit too much, I find it difficult to sleep. Aren't levelling blocks wonderful.]

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
This is almost exactly the rig that the Landy in our field has. Looks really good....but it's a Landy and it's a full kit with shelter and cooking facilities.
That's like the kit which my overlander friends had on their T6. Everything was interchangeable with their Landrover. They have a massive batwing canopy which was very snug with their Frontier Stove going during horrible weather when I was camping with them and trying to photograph their setup.

Someone else I know of who has a roof tent has it on her old Landy. She is a serious off roader, driving her Landrover across very severe terrain which would alarm me as a passenger, never mind a driver. She is a landscape photographer and goes off the beaten track to get her pictures. Her Landy is called Norton. :) Info here.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
Ditto. I agree with most of your points. Only exception may be if you had one on top of something like a Land Rover, and were out in some remote wilderness where being off the ground is an advantage. On a normal car, in a campsite seems strange. Not sure I'd want 200kg+ of weight on the roof bars of my car (tent weight plus 2 relatively slim people).
That's a great example.

Here's my favourite Scottish Hire company for Landrover Campers, especially if you want to wild camp in Scotland

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
That's like the kit which my overlander friends had on their T6. Everything was interchangeable with their Landrover. They have a massive batwing canopy which was very snug with their Frontier Stove going during horrible weather when I was camping with them and trying to photograph their setup.

Someone else I know of who has a roof tent has it on her old Landy. She is a serious off roader, driving her Landrover across very severe terrain which would alarm me as a passenger, never mind a driver. She is a landscape photographer and goes off the beaten track to get her pictures. Her Landy is called Norton. :) Info here.

The ideal solution might be one of these:

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
A demountable is the worse combination of them all, you have an off road vehicle that you now can’t take off-road, and a poor size camper that has an extremely high cost, and limited size. A caravan would be better and cheaper in that scenario. A roof tent, or off-road camping trailer allows you to explore whilst carrying your camping kit. Both have their downsides though.

Upvote 0

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
There's a full on Land Rover with huge safari-type roof tent currently in the same field as us. The thing folds out into a veritable palace, but would hopefully keep you safe if a pride of lions came through. The guy has the complete off-road safari vibe going on and it makes sense. On a normal family car...errm, no? Another family of four with two young tiddlers was also here, with a VW caravelle-type (so not a pop-top camper). They couldn't all sleep in the roof tent, so I'm not sure how they organised to keep the kids safe at night. In a normal tent they could all have been in the same space...

Hey ho. As I've already said - to each their own. Glad they're here enjoying camping, anyway.
A VW Caravelle has a bench seat that goes flat. There is a multiflex board available which turns the whole thing in to a full width double bed platform.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I saw a few on them on the site I was staying at in Norfolk the past couple of weeks. Most of them also had an event shelter with them to store the chairs, kitchen, etc. So why not just get a far cheaper tent?

Maybe someone will start selling drive away awnings that attach to roof tents? 🤣

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back