Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 17, 2022
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Neuvo
Exp
Newbie!
Hey Gang - hoping someone has gone down this route before!

Context is that we’re going skiing in our motorhome (for the first time) - but it’s not a big van! An A-S Neuvo, it’s only 6m and has one relatively small under bench garage. There is a Fiamma Pro-C bike rack on the back, which I’ve switched to e-bike rails. I also have large car roof box. And finally, as we’re going for an extended period, it’s made sense to buy skis, rather than hire.

The cunning plan is to somehow mount the roof box onto the bike rack and transport the skis in it.

I did a bit of research and got confirmation some people have done this, but frustratingly short of detail! Having had a quick look, the weight is fine, the length is fine, but I think the box will be too wide to either sit on the horizontal rails or mount onto the vertical bars if I remove the rails.

Anyone have experience here?

Thnx,
Heeb

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Pictures would help us help you! :giggle:

Upvote 0
Mar 10, 2019
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T590
Exp
Hi Heeb, I’ve fitted a back box on my bike rack, in principle got to be the same, just add holes in right place & bolt on, I silicone sealed existing holes in box, works for me fine

Upvote 0
Jan 5, 2014
tetbury
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Expedition
Exp
Long time
Put the skis across the bike rack!
We had a Nuevo, it's not winterized, outside water will freeze, you will use alot of gas keeping warm! Avoid staying in high altitude sites unless spring skiing!
Most important thing is to weigh the van with all the kit onboard, you will probably find your back axle is well over weight!!!
Hope it all works out for you, wish my body was still up for it!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Jan 17, 2022
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Neuvo
Exp
Newbie!
Put the skis across the bike rack!
We had a Nuevo, it's not winterized, outside water will freeze, you will use alot of gas keeping warm! Avoid staying in high altitude sites unless spring skiing!
Most important thing is to weigh the van with all the kit onboard, you will probably find your back axle is well over weight!!!
Hope it all works out for you, wish my body was still up for it!!

jwells thanks for the reply. In theory, our van has the Winterised pack. We’ve been out in sub-zero, but not extreme! Did you have water tank heating pads? Obviously still worried about exposed pipes freezing solid! Will be doing the bucket method with the waste. We’ve weighed ourselves with e-bikes on the rack and were on the wire, so yes, will be being careful there. Any other tips/warnings about skiing with the Neuvo greatly appreciated!

As to just putting the skis straight onto the rack, I’ve heard horror stories of how much road muck can make them rust/degrade.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Jan 17, 2022
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Neuvo
Exp
Newbie!
Hi Heeb, I’ve fitted a back box on my bike rack, in principle got to be the same, just add holes in right place & bolt on, I silicone sealed existing holes in box, works for me fine
MalcMc what kind of backbox do you mean? And did you mount to the horizontal bike rails, or remove that and mount onto the vertical rails (as I’ve seen with a roof box)?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Jan 17, 2022
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Neuvo
Exp
Newbie!
Pictures would help us help you! :giggle:
IMG_0475.jpeg
IMG_0061.jpeg
IMG_0475.jpegIMG_0061.jpeg!

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Hey Gang - hoping someone has gone down this route before!

Context is that we’re going skiing in our motorhome (for the first time) - but it’s not a big van! An A-S Neuvo, it’s only 6m and has one relatively small under bench garage. There is a Fiamma Pro-C bike rack on the back, which I’ve switched to e-bike rails. I also have large car roof box. And finally, as we’re going for an extended period, it’s made sense to buy skis, rather than hire.

The cunning plan is to somehow mount the roof box onto the bike rack and transport the skis in it.

I did a bit of research and got confirmation some people have done this, but frustratingly short of detail! Having had a quick look, the weight is fine, the length is fine, but I think the box will be too wide to either sit on the horizontal rails or mount onto the vertical bars if I remove the rails.

Anyone have experience here?

Thnx,
Heeb
I use one of these

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Having had a quick look, the weight is fine, the length is fine, but I think the box will be too wide to either sit on the horizontal rails or mount onto the vertical bars if I remove the rails.
I'm trying to imagine what you mean by too wide. Do you mean it will stick out too far backwards, ie too deep?

Can you mount it with the back of the box facing the back of the MH with the 'hinge' on the side and the opening on the other side, ie as a door would open? You'd need to have straps/netting to keep the contents in place when you opened it but could possibly work.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2022
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
Since 2005
How many pairs of skis? Can you not just put them in a ski bag inside the van to travel, then under the van when on site?

Or strap the ski bag to the folded bike rack, vertically?

I did once fit a Thule roof box vertically to a bike rack by bolting roof bars on the cycle rack and mounting the roof box on the roof bars. You could replace the bike carriers with roof bars on the outside part then mount the roof box on them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Jan 17, 2022
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Neuvo
Exp
Newbie!
Thanks. Yeah, I actually exchanged messages with this very helpful guy. The fundamental differences are the mounting rails attached to the van : (a) they are much longer than ours, so can have the cross (roof) bars quite far apart - I’d need to have cross bars much closer together, so drilling new mounting points and worrying about stability, but not impossible ; (b) more fundamentally, our vertical mount poles are too close together for existing roof box clamps - again I guess I could drill out some new holes, but again worry about weakening the box and stability.

Think I also envisioned having the box horizontal across the van, with the bottom of the box in its normal orientation on the fold down rail, or facing the back of the van, 90° to normal.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Jan 17, 2022
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Neuvo
Exp
Newbie!
How many pairs of skis? Can you not just put them in a ski bag inside the van to travel, then under the van when on site?

Or strap the ski bag to the folded bike rack, vertically?
This is Plan B & C!
I did once fit a Thule roof box vertically to a bike rack by bolting roof bars on the cycle rack and mounting the roof box on the roof bars. You could replace the bike carriers with roof bars on the outside part then mount the roof box on them.
Can I ask if you had the same Fiamma Pro-C rack as me and a standard width roof box (I.e. not family or slim).

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Mikeco was quite excited (as it’s not too pricey) - but I don’t see it being big enough for my 176cm skis!
They would not fit as only 1200mm long, however they make bags to order and they would probably make you a longer version if you asked. Your skis would not be secure from theft though so probably not a good idea.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back