Reversing from your driveway (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You miss the point. It is impossible to get the trolley to the rear of the car and usually impossible to stand behind it to load the car. My car has no rear seats and no rear doors.
Same with us, I assume you have a Smart ForTwo as well?

The vast majority of the time hubby reverses in to parking spots however you can bet if we go to a supermarket and he drives in forward we don't buy much shopping, but when he reverses in we do .... :doh:

OP
OP
Robmac

Robmac

Free Member
Jun 13, 2012
Wyboston, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Renault Master self build
Exp
On second van now since 2012
Same with us, I assume you have a Smart ForTwo as well?

The vast majority of the time hubby reverses in to parking spots however you can bet if we go to a supermarket and he drives in forward we don't buy much shopping, but when he reverses in we do .... :doh:

I never take the camper to the supermarket Minxy.

She can get loads of shopping in there!

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
If one is sufficiently competent to reverse out of a drive (virtually blind into traffic) I cannot see why folk don't stop and reverse into the drive whilst they are in view of or in a position of 'command' over the oncoming or the following vehicles.
Because our drive is particularly steep and i'd probably need a new clutch every two years, that and i would then have to reverse into the garage for which I have to pull the mirrors in.

The one advantage of the steep drive is that I'm not virtually blind and can see the approaching traffic, if people are driving at 30 as they come into the village then the have plenty of time to stop and let me complete the maneuver.

OP
OP
Robmac

Robmac

Free Member
Jun 13, 2012
Wyboston, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Because our drive is particularly steep and i'd probably need a new clutch every two years, that and i would then have to reverse into the garage for which I have to pull the mirrors in.
View attachment 317288

The one advantage of the steep drive is that I'm not virtually blind and can see the approaching traffic, if people are driving at 30 as they come into the village then the have plenty of time to stop and let me complete the maneuver.

Oh for a nice tall garage like that!

Agree about the wear and tear on the clutch reversing uphill. Looks like you may even manage a 3 point turn on your drive if you ever felt the need?

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588

Agree about the wear and tear on the clutch reversing uphill. Looks like you may even manage a 3 point turn on your drive if you ever felt the need?

The garage was a 60s double garage with a central pillar making the openings too narrow for modern cars. For our earlier PVC I popped in a steel frame (its single brick) and built it up to allow access with my sea kayaks on the roof, unfortunately at that height I couldn't get a longer lintel in. Thankfully this means I have peaked in "Maslow's Hierarchy of Vans" and can stop looking at newer models - we're limited to low profiles at 2.7m high which come in at just under 3.5m with the kayaks on.

At just under 7m I probably could just about manage it but it would be tight.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I would have thought it was obvious, it would be the vehicle on the main roads right of way.

Always know it, the Highway code says you shouldn't reverse onto a main road.
Also Rule 297
"A driver must not drive a motor vehicle unless the driver has a clear view of the road, and traffic, ahead, behind, and to each side of the driver". Taken together, it means that if you can't see properly when you are reversing out of your driveway, it is an offence to use reverse.

IMO it is plain stupid to reverse a Motorhome out of a driveway.

In General I agree, however driving like life is not perfect, there are occasion when the only viable way is to drive in and reverse out, I have come across this both as a motorist, and as an HGV driver when loading or discharging demanded a certain access. My driveway will not take the motorhome if I reverse in as once in we cannot access ingress or exit other than via the Driver window!. When parked Nose in, the hab: door only just clears the Bungalow wall. The "driver door" is too wide to use.

If you live in an area with these problems carry a few A4 self-adhesive labels printed with a suitable (non-identifying) message. It takes but a moment to apply it (centrally drivers side) but at least 30 minutes to remove.

The issue with doing that is that it is Technically committing "Criminal Damage" to so do!. (Sadly)

I try not to get involved in shopping if I can possibly help it, but if I do I tend to park as far away from the shop as possible so I am away from other cars. That way I hope to get a space where trolleys or car doors are not going to take chunks out of my paintwork.

Why is it though, that no matter how empty the car park is, somebody will always park next to you?

Like Camping?. Big Field, but the next guy WILL park within feet of you!.

One of the few times I have suffered damage in a Supermarket car park was when someone reversed parked and then proceeded to mark the front of our vehicle trying to load from his trolley!. even put their shopping bags on our bonnet!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
View attachment 317288

Corrrrrr ... I've got serious garage envy! :D2

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Bad Idea, looking at the OPs original photograph, just an accident waiting to happen, Car Motorcycle van whatever, hammering around that bend....

"But", one says, "its their fault for speeding, driving in a reckless manor..." well 2 wrongs, etc etc etc, blah de blah de blah.

Not good either way.

OP
OP
Robmac

Robmac

Free Member
Jun 13, 2012
Wyboston, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Bad Idea, looking at the OPs original photograph, just an accident waiting to happen, Car Motorcycle van whatever, hammering around that bend....

"But", one says, "its their fault for speeding, driving in a reckless manor..." well 2 wrongs, etc etc etc, blah de blah de blah.

Not good either way.

I can't disagree really, that's why I posted this thread.

I have also requested that my kids drive out nose first whenever they visit and today Julie acted as bankswoman for the first time.

She did take it a bit seriously though, I swear at one point I spotted her take a notebook from her pocket and make a note of my registration!

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

Just trying to figure out why you would have more wear on a clutch going backwards as opposed to going forward.

Once the clutch is engaged that’s it surely.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Just trying to figure out why you would have more wear on a clutch going backwards as opposed to going forward.

Going forward I can pretty much do it in one go without any manoeuvring, reversing I'd be back and forth making little adjustments.

OP
OP
Robmac

Robmac

Free Member
Jun 13, 2012
Wyboston, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp

I must admit, I don't know the science behind it. But I have had a very strong burning smell from the clutch when trying to reverse a vehicle up a steep hill on more than one occasion.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
My mate used to have a tag axle hymer & had to reverse in. There was barely a foot either side of it to the gateposts + even when he changed to a Compass calypso you still had to return home on a Monday morning so all the neighbours on the other side of the road ,who park in the road, were at work allowing a reasonably easy manoeuvre.:D2
He has now moved into another house where they have uilt houses behind & now has an access roundabout to one side. so we have to do a 360º around it ,hazards on ,slew across road & reverse in.
Not a problem in a 30 zone except that they've built the roundabout offset with an inner part of brick paviors , so allowing the knobheads to slalom through it.
but cannot understand the mentality of those who do it in supermarket car parks and risk trolley damage to adjacent cars.
You don't you drive it out & load it there.
You miss the point. It is impossible to get the trolley to the rear of the car and usually impossible to stand behind it to load the car. My car has no rear seats and no rear doors.
Why would anyone even think of trying to get a trolley to the rear of a car reversed in?

Not good either way.
That's why I'd block the road until I had completed the manoeuvre(y)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Not so clever if you have a trolley full of shopping to put in the boot. ;)

and the car behind you has parked so close you can't get the tailgate open. It's even more of a nightmare when you need to get a wheelchair or pushchair into the boot. And don't get me started on people who park in the blue badge or small child spaces when they don't need to.........

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009

Gearing, the same as I was advised to try to avoid reversing up levelling ramps.

OP
OP
Robmac

Robmac

Free Member
Jun 13, 2012
Wyboston, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Gearing, the same as I was advised to try to avoid reversing up levelling ramps.

Apparently so.

I asked the question in the pub last night and a few people had experienced a burning smell when reversing uphill.

One chap explained it as reverse gear is often similar to 2nd gear in torque. In other words it would be the same as trying to pull off in 2nd gear up a steep slope - you are bound to slip the clutch.

Sounds reasonable.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Apparently so.

I asked the question in the pub last night and a few people had experienced a burning smell when reversing uphill.

One chap explained it as reverse gear is often similar to 2nd gear in torque. In other words it would be the same as trying to pull off in 2nd gear up a steep slope - you are bound to slip the clutch.

Sounds reasonable.
On a steep or otherwise tricky reverse you will need to go more slowly in reverse than if driving forward so more clutch slipping.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
It used to be that reverse was lower ratio than 1st on the vast majority of vehicles. This is not the case so much now particularly with vans eg Ducato 1st 3.727 R 3.154 (manual ) comfortmatic 1st 4.167 R 4.083

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I must admit, I don't know the science behind it. But I have had a very strong burning smell from the clutch when trying to reverse a vehicle up a steep hill on more than one occasion.

Strange, I still can’t see why.
It’s only the ratios are different in a gearbox.
The engine and clutch still rotate in the same direction and as I said once engaged no difference.

Also can’t see the difference between pushing the weight to pulling the weight of a vehicle.

Ahh well ?

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
IMO it is plain stupid to reverse a Motorhome out of a driveway.

We have very little option but to reverse out of our driveway, the van is too tight a fit to reverse up due to the awning, it can be reversed up but it's a nightmare to do with just a few mm to play with & blocks the road for longer whilst lining things up as it needs to be perfect.
Fortunately despite living on a main road, the village is reasonably quiet.

This is our old van reversing out, our current one is much wider.
Executive 28.jpg

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Strange, I still can’t see why.
It’s only the ratios are different in a gearbox.
The engine and clutch still rotate in the same direction and as I said once engaged no difference.

Also can’t see the difference between pushing the weight to pulling the weight of a vehicle.

Ahh well ?

I agree that in a long straight reverse, the clutch would be fully engaged, but in reality, inching gently up a set of ramps, or slowly negotiating a narrow entrance, or around obstacles in reverse, is going to result in a lot of ‘riding’ the clutch for better control and it is this that causes the burning smell.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.

Because our drive is so steep & tight, reversing up cooks the bloody weak clutch fitted to the Ducato (or Peugeot of you go by the badge), why the hell are these clutches so poor?
It takes a fair bit of fiddling & adjustment to reverse up our drive as the awning is just MMs from the house.
Its a shame as the hab door ends up on the wrong side when driven up head first.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The Fiat/Peogeut/Citroen gearing for reversing isn't great, the clutch isn't great either, whilst you can reverse them fairly easily on the flat on a slope they can spit their dummies out a bit and trying to do it smoothly can be a bit of a challenge at times. Having had issues with the crappy clutch/gearing in the past, and the notorious 'Juddergate' which fortunately we haven't had but others have, I wouldn't want to risk 'causing' any issues if there's no need.

We do reverse onto our drive as it means the rear end sits nice and snugly in between the fence panels at the back, if we went in forwards the only way to get out of the camper would be to clamber over the bed and get out the rear doors which is quite a drop!

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I live in a village on a major A road near a blind bend. I have to reverse on with the MHs, reversing off would be too dangerous.

I aproach the house on the 'wrong' side of the road to the house, wait until there is a break in the oncoming traffic then cross onto the 'wrong' side with lights and hazards on blocking the road then reverse onto the drive. Only pi$$ed off a few oncoming drivers in 8 years of doing it - and as I often use the Eriba as a daily driver that's hundreds of times.

Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
I actually teach fleet driver training and over 30 per cent of collisions are in reverse in vehicle fleets. Per mile driven you are 133 times more likely to have a collision in reverse than going forwards. 1800 collisions a day in the UK in car parks and the strange thing is people are prepared to walk around a supermarket for half an hour but not an extra 30 seconds to get to their car at a place in a car park away from where all the problems happen ie near the entrance. You have much more control over reversing in than out not least because you move between stationary vehicles doing that rather than reversing out into moving traffic and of course your position in the car itself gives you more vision and the front of the vehicle ‘swings’ when you reverse out which is when the vast majority of those collisions mentioned above actually happen. Having said that it’s all personal choice and ultimately we only have ourselves to blame.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I always reverse onto our drive as we live on a busy village road and as others have said you can stop the traffic whilst doing it,I’ve got pretty good doing it reasonably quickly without any complaints. To reverse onto the road would be a bit dodgy even in quiet times and goes against all I was taught when learning to drive many years ago.?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back