Free Member
Jun 13, 2012
Wyboston, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Renault Master self build
Exp
On second van now since 2012
A friend of mine asked me the other day if I knew that it was illegal to reverse from your driveway.

I have looked at this before and I think that my findings were that whilst it is not actually illegal, it is generally advised against by the Highway code and the motoring organisations. I wonder though if an insurance company would find in favour of a motorist on the main highway against somebody reversing a motorhome from a driveway?

My van does have reversing beepers, but we live fairly close to a bend and the cars do tend to come along there at high speeds despite it being a 30 limit.

I am lucky enough to have a drive large enough to do a 3 point turn on and so can always drive off forwards. (Not that we have a massive drive or anything, but the whole of our front garden has been converted for parking rather than gardening!). In practice though, I tend to go in forwards because it is a narrow lane and it can be a bit of a faff reversing in near the bend, and sometimes it would require moving other vehicles to do a 3 point turn on the drive to go out forwards so I just reverse out.

Any comments please?

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Is the distance from your driveway sufficient stopping distance for any vehicle doing 30mph to stop?

If so then no problem as any vehicle that hit you must have either been not looking or going too fast.

If not it is a problem.

I have to reverse off and like you live after a bend in a 30mph zone, at the bottom of a hill where some do speed. But there is good visibility and anyone going at the right speed or under has no problem.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I wonder though if an insurance company would find in favour of a motorist on the main highway against somebody reversing a motorhome from a driveway?
I would have thought it was obvious, it would be the vehicle on the main roads right of way.

Always know it, the Highway code says you shouldn't reverse onto a main road.
Also Rule 297
"A driver must not drive a motor vehicle unless the driver has a clear view of the road, and traffic, ahead, behind, and to each side of the driver". Taken together, it means that if you can't see properly when you are reversing out of your driveway, it is an offence to use reverse.

IMO it is plain stupid to reverse a Motorhome out of a driveway.

OP
OP
Robmac

Robmac

Free Member
Jun 13, 2012
Wyboston, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Is the distance from your driveway sufficient stopping distance for any vehicle doing 30mph to stop?

If so then no problem as any vehicle that hit you must have either been not looking or going too fast.

If not it is a problem.

I have to reverse off and like you live after a bend in a 30mph zone, at the bottom of a hill where some do speed. But there is good visibility and anyone going at the right speed or under has no problem.

Yes at 30mph there is sufficient room to stop. I know this as I have driven along there as my wife was reversing from the drive, so I suppose this would be a good defence point.

Probably my best solution would be for my wife to stand across the road and guide me out when reversing, however there is no pathway on the far side of the road, just a thin grass verge so probably not ideal from her point of view!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588

wotme

Free Member
Sep 26, 2018
new forest
Funster No
MH
Sold it!
Exp
I'm a newbie
By the sounds of it reversing out near a bend into fast moving traffic is heading for trouble.
Depends on what sort of distance you can see if the road is clear in both directions, not forgetting motorcyclist overtaking at 100mph. If you don't have someone to guide you out then I would personally make the effort to turn around and exit the drive facing the road.
I would have thought causing an RTA by reversing out of your drive would not go down to well with the police or your insurance company

OP
OP
Robmac

Robmac

Free Member
Jun 13, 2012
Wyboston, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/using-the-road-reversing.html
answer is No, it is not Illegal, but advise to reverse in and drive out if you can.

Thanks for that. I suppose my problem is that it is probably as risky to reverse into the drive as it is out being near a bend.

A couple of 'photos to show you what I mean;

20190710_093941.jpg
20190710_094038.jpg

OP
OP
Robmac

Robmac

Free Member
Jun 13, 2012
Wyboston, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
By the sounds of it reversing out near a bend into fast moving traffic is heading for trouble.
Depends on what sort of distance you can see if the road is clear in both directions, not forgetting motorcyclist overtaking at 100mph. If you don't have someone to guide you out then I would personally make the effort to turn around and exit the drive facing the road.
I would have thought causing an RTA by reversing out of your drive would not go down to well with the police or your insurance company

Looking one way, the view up the road is a good half a mile so no problem there and I can see that clearly from my driving position before I start to manoeuvre. The other point is that once I have started to reverse out and get to half way across the road, traffic approaching the bend would be able to see my back end before I got onto there side of the road thereby giving them more time to stop.

I think any insurance claim would be complicated and stressful though, and I did choose to live here after all.

I suppose the law cannot reasonably cater for every situation so I guess the onus is on me to do the safest thing possible.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
But reversing off the road onto the drive causes the same obstruction?

Sorry i'm not arguing with you just pointing out the flaw in the Highway Code.
Thats why its a code. Its full of ambiguity

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

Nope, different situation as you are already on the “main” road.

Similar action would be taken by other vehicles already on the road as if you were patrol parking.

Your reversing lights help to tell others your intentions ?

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
If travelling from the direction the photograph was taken I would reverse in and exit forwards, when reversing in you could set the motorhome up with the cab on the otherside of the road this will give you a better view of oncoming traffic around the bend and give oncoming traffic more time to see you to.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Robmac - Reverse in, forwards out every time.

You’re correct that whichever way you do it, the same obstruction is caused, but by reversing in and forward out, you have a greater view from your cab, which is inherently safer than reversing out blind, as you can react to something. This could be stopping the manoeuvre or pulling back in, neither of which is an option if you’re pulling out blind.

Also consider, irrespective of the maximum speed limit, that some responsibility is on the other driver to drive at such a speed that they can stop in the distance they can see to be clear.

OP
OP
Robmac

Robmac

Free Member
Jun 13, 2012
Wyboston, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
I must admit I have usually just taken for granted that it's ok to reverse out, albeit carefully in our situation.

Given the minefield that can be insurance, I will certainly give it more attention in future and opt for either reversing in and forward out or doing a 3 point turn on the drive.

I do quite like the idea of Julie being a Bankswoman though. Might even buy her some Hi Viz and some boots! :oops:

Certainly some food for thought though, and perhaps it may be of use to others who hadn't thought about it before.

Thanks all.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.

With one important difference. When you reverse in, the driver is in the road & can see the traffic. When you reverse out, the driver cannot see the traffic until most or all of the vehicle is already out.
When I learned to drive my instructor said if you can't reverse in you certainly shouldn't reverse out. That has stuck with me & reverse parking is just natural for me.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I think a banksman would be the only option, but as you can turn on your drive always do that

We park in nose first partly for added security, theft involving turning round would be much more difficult and reversing out of our property wound be very complicated

Similar reply to your post on the cycling thread, where you have restricted vision at entrance to marina

Use your passenger, if you have one to check it’s safe to pull forwards, but also get on to the marina to fit mirrors to give visibility, they are cheap enough and I am amazed they haven’t been fitted already, sounds like a serious accident waiting to happen ?

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Reversing out cannot rely on the other driver seeing you and taking action , you are entering the main carriageway , and the law requires that you should give way to traffic already on there , if you cannot see , but are entering the road by the "white stick" method you have already broken the law ,by the time any other vehicle commits the offence of driving without due care , and runs into you .
Maybe you could get a stop/go lollipop for your partner and end them round the corner for traffic control :)

OP
OP
Robmac

Robmac

Free Member
Jun 13, 2012
Wyboston, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Similar reply to your post on the cycling thread, where you have restricted vision at entrance to marina

Use your passenger, if you have one to check it’s safe to pull forwards, but also get on to the marina to fit mirrors to give visibility, they are cheap enough and I am amazed they haven’t been fitted already, sounds like a serious accident waiting to happen ?

Yes, the situation at the marina is even worse although you are going out forwards. You are going between 2 high walls straight onto the pavement. I usually give a blast on the horn and edge out an inch at a time. I usually get out and look down the pavement first but by the time I have got back in and moved forward, a cyclist could have come along the pavement and gone straight over my bonnet.

Mirrors are a good idea although it is not the easiest place to put some up. I will try and get a picture later.

I will mention the mirrors to the staff at the marina though. Thanks.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

That has just opened up a new section of MH choice for me, I can just turn my 8.2m round in drive although I have caught the rear corner on a wall once ?

Not looked at a price yet, but reckon I can just fit 9m round a tight corner if I fit one of these ? mind you though not not sure I can afford both turntable and new MH ?

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
My wife was driving off our drive and a car came down the road and hit her. We lost our no claims as the driver was on the main road he had right of way i said he was driving without due care and attention but we lost and had to pay for the damage to his car and of course whip lash injuries that he claimed for.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
That has just opened up a new section of MH choice for me, I can just turn my 8.2m round in drive although I have caught the rear corner on a wall once ?

Not looked at a price yet, but reckon I can just fit 9m round a tight corner if I fit one of these ? mind you though not not sure I can afford both turntable and new MH ?
I looked at one for a development site from memory it was over £15k for a car one.

OP
OP
Robmac

Robmac

Free Member
Jun 13, 2012
Wyboston, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
My wife was driving off our drive and a car came down the road and hit her. We lost our no claims as the driver was on the main road he had right of way i said he was driving without due care and attention but we lost and had to pay for the damage to his car and of course whip lash injuries that he claimed for.

I think whip lash injuries are claimed in most cases these days whether suffered or not. I reckon even vicars and nuns are dishonest when it comes to insurance!

Was there a reason (speeding etc) that you say he was driving without due care?

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
He hit my car that was actually rolling off the drive (hardley moving) If he was driving with care he would have seen the car and stopped instead he hit the car and claimed my wife hit him you could see by the damage he had hit our car . As he was on the main roed we where held resposible so watch what youre doing pulling off the drive if you get hit you are held responsible. Twenty miles per hour road.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
With one important difference. When you reverse in, the driver is in the road & can see the traffic. When you reverse out, the driver cannot see the traffic until most or all of the vehicle is already out.
When I learned to drive my instructor said if you can't reverse in you certainly shouldn't reverse out. That has stuck with me & reverse parking is just natural for me.

While the law might not say it is illegal to back out, the rules of the road say otherwise. The vehicle already on the road has right of way. This is the key point. If you back out, the risk is with you, and I think it highly likely you would have to pay out on an insurance claim. On the other hand if you are already on the road, and do a 3 point turn to reverse in, and someone hits you then they could be responsible for driving carelessly. They should never drive at such a speed that they cannot stop in an emergency, and if that means going slower than the speed limit round the bend, so be it. You obviously live out in the country, and there could be a wild or farm animal on the road not just your motorhome.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I would do the 3/15 point turn in the drive if I had the chance, but alas no.
I have to reverse out, and get wifey to direct me when its clear to do so, however we live on a quiet residential road so this is a lot easier, albeit it is used as a rat run for the mothers at school times.
Yes, I think we all had a clue that reversing onto a main road was illegal,but I always asked myself what is deemed as a "main" road in certain residential area scenarios.
I will mention that on top of the reversing out problems, imagine if your residential road was also full of parked cars making it almost impossible to get out in the late or early hours. a problem I know some funsters have to deal with this problem.
I find it more annoying to say the least that parking laws are ignored or that the drivers are totally oblivious as to where its legal to park on a road these days, in some cases blocking views on blind bends or brow of hills, just because its outside their house, its fine!
Observations:
They park the wrong way round so that their reflectors are not facing on coming traffic.
They park with two wheels right up on the kerb, not allowing enough wheel chair access.
They park too close to a junction, or even on it!
They park either side of the road effectively making the road a one way road at night.
They drive onto any grass verge (cars & commercial vans) ruining the grass leaving massive ruts (council informed, but cant do anything about it).

Its a free for all parking these days as no one cares, and its not policed enough, except in towns where its a good money earner for the councils.

Les

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back