Reverse polarity in Europe? (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 26, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer B634
Exp
Since 2023
How often have you guys experienced reverse polarity on the continent? What’s the options for solving this issue is it as simple as making up a new lead with reverse polarity and a test lead with a martindale

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Never - not that have been aware. loads of threads on here about this. Do a search. A lot of disagreement on the subject too.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Not unless you start doing some internal surgery on some of your 240v devices whilst connected to the mains.
So let me get this straight... are you saying that the only circumstances in which a 'reverse polarity' supply is hazardous is when dismantling and fixing a mains appliance with the mains still connected?

Oct 27, 2022
Funster No
MH
Consort PVC
So let me get this straight... are you saying that the only circumstances in which a 'reverse polarity' supply is hazardous is when dismantling and fixing a mains appliance with the mains still connected?

If you have a UK toaster then the heating elements would be "live" in a reverse polarity circuit (when the toaster is off). Don't poke anything metal in said toaster or grab it from the top to move it.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Unless your prone to stripping things while plugged in the only thing that might cause a issue is if your one of l
those people who stick a knife in a toaster.
But VXman definitely said that the only hazard is stripping things while plugged in. Is his statement misleading? You say that the only other hazard is sticking a knife in a toaster. Are you saying that there are no other possible hazardous situations caused by reverse polarity, apart from these two?

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
How often have you guys experienced reverse polarity on the continent?
There’s a 50/50 chance that a given EHU bollard will have ‘reverse polarity’ as there is no correct/incorrect way to wire the bollard. This contrasts with the UK where we have a specific convention.

Was reversed about 50% of the time,

That would be about right.

Ian

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
How often have you guys experienced reverse polarity on the continent? What’s the options for solving this issue is it as simple as making up a new lead with reverse polarity and a test lead with a martindale
Because you are new on here (welcome by the way!) some of the humour in the replies so far might go over your head. :)

This is a common question but the issue isn't easy to explain.

The nub of it is the UK's electrical system uses the concept of live and neutral. The latter, neutral, is connected to Earth even though the polarity is changing umpteen times a second. The result is if you touch a neutral wire while standing on the ground it won't kill you.

The electrical systems in some UK MHs assume this arrangement. Unfortunately, some countries don't bother with live and neutral and treat them as interchangeable, which they are. Germany are prime suspects! :)

So what to advise? If you don't know if your MH has double pole circuit breakers (which sort the problem) then you could buy or make up a lead to reverse live and neutral although as has been suggested the risk is minimal if you don't - unless you are planning open heart surgery on a live MH.

OP
OP
Simon1981
Mar 26, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer B634
Exp
Since 2023
Because you are new on here (welcome by the way!) some of the humour in the replies so far might go over your head. :)

This is a common question but the issue isn't easy to explain.

The nub of it is the UK's electrical system uses the concept of live and neutral. The latter, neutral, is connected to Earth even though the polarity is changing umpteen times a second. The result is if you touch a neutral wire while standing on the ground it won't kill you.

The electrical systems in some UK MHs assume this arrangement. Unfortunately, some countries don't bother with live and neutral and treat them as interchangeable, which they are. Germany are prime suspects! :)

So what to advise? If you don't know if your MH has double pole circuit breakers (which sort the problem) then you could buy or make up a lead to reverse live and neutral although as has been suggested the risk is minimal if you don't - unless you are planning open heart surgery on a live

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
So what to advise? If you don't know if your MH has double pole circuit breakers (which sort the problem)
Can you suggest a source of double-pole fuses for the UK appliance plugs that are used in UK motorhomes?

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I think I won’t bother in the future
I would advise you to press the 'Test' button on the RCD to make sure it's working properly. If you want, you could use a socket tester in one of your sockets, to test for an earth fault. The socket tester will also tell you if the polarity is reversed, but provided there is a good earth and the RCD is working, the extra hazard of UK electrics plugged into European electrics will be minimised.

May 13, 2024
Lancshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Axess
Exp
Caravan since 1983 - Motorhome since 1997
In simple terms, (which a lot of folk do not seem to be able to use, or comprehend), if the polarity is reversed, it means that the negative and positive supply is back to front, so that when an electrical unit is supposedly switched off, there is still a positive supply running to it, so that it is still live.

This, in itself is not a problem, unless, as some have already mentioned, you intend twiddling about in the gubbins within the item in question.

Many supply points on campsites, especially in rural areas of France, are quite liable to provide a reversed polarity, but in itself this is not a problem with many modern motorhomes.

Some modern vehicles are fitted with gubbins which indicates when reverse polarity is encountered

If, however, you are worried about this situation, then purchase a polarity checker, and construct a reverse polarity lead.

Personally, I always check (force of habit from days of yore) and on the odd occasion where I have come across the lack of an earth, then as an electrical nincompoop, I run on gas and battery until I move on, or I change pitch if possible.

Maybe somebody who is more aware of the electrical black arts than I, can advise on this lack of earth situation.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
As soon as I read that it would involve Nick and I dismantling a hook up lead and reassembling it in a different fashion to test if electricity was safe I thought that was a bit of a joke so we’ve never bothered. We are hoping to rarely need hookup now in our new van, did I mention we collected it Thursday?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
There’s a 50/50 chance that a given EHU bollard will have ‘reverse polarity’ as there is no correct/incorrect way to wire the bollard. This contrasts with the UK where we have a specific convention.

That would be about right.

Ian
I find a lot because my Mh is equipped with a big relay to switch the sockets over from the inverter, it doesnt like reverse polarity.

Having said that I mostly dont bother plugging in because the solar gives us what we need. I notice nobody has mentioned surge or low voltage yet........

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I thought we only needed fused plugs in the UK because we use a weird ring main system which has big fuses back at the consumer unit that don’t provide sufficient protection. Most of the rest of the world has radial wiring, uses unfused plugs and doesn’t have switches on sockets. I suspect our motorhome wiring is closer to EU radial wiring than UK ring mains and that worrying about polarity is a bit over the top.

Also worth remembering that many (most?) inverters will not be using single polarity and both wires will be live.

Oct 27, 2022
Funster No
MH
Consort PVC
As soon as I read that it would involve Nick and I dismantling a hook up lead and reassembling it in a different fashion to test if electricity was safe I thought that was a bit of a joke so we’ve never bothered. We are hoping to rarely need hookup now in our new van, did I mention we collected it Thursday?
Oooo, how are you getting on with it ?
Enjoy the Dan mega-handover and the detailed instructions about "the appliance" ? :LOL:

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
But VXman definitely said that the only hazard is stripping things while plugged in. Is his statement misleading? You say that the only other hazard is sticking a knife in a toaster. Are you saying that there are no other possible hazardous situations or caused by reverse polarity, apart from these two?
I'm assuming these are rhetorical questions so am not responding. I am well aware you are very knowledgeable on electrics and will have clear views on the subject. Why don't you just respond to the op?

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Oooo, how are you getting on with it ?
Enjoy the Dan mega-handover and the detailed instructions about "the appliance" ? :LOL:
I had no idea I was supposed to be afraid of my Truma boiler!! I haven’t been but I am now. Mind you I ended up being afraid of the Phantom tracker. Dan told us about shaking the device but he forgot to tell us you also have to arm it by pressing the button first so a phone call en route to the campsite. Then again after fuel. We said we’d shaken it. Were told the batteries were probably flat by Phantom,Nick read the instructions whilst I was driving and found the button and all good. Phew!!

Off to Vanbitz Monday for Strikeback Growler. Hadn’t expected them to be able to fit us in before our trip. Just hope the V5 arrives.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back