Re map horrors

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2020
Hi All
I am thinking of have my fiat 2021 fiat 2.2 with the 9 speed auto re mapped . I hear various positive things about the benefits of re mapping .
Has anyone had any nightmares or issues after they have had their van re mapped ?

OP
OP
J
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2020
So the question remains unanswered unless no one wants to admit spending £400 and its made things worse or no difference.
Well by the response so far it would not seem that anyone has had any negative consequences of re mapping . Various comments supporting and condoning re mapping but no actual horror stories as yet …….but I guess there is still time !

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If its worse or no different you get your money back ;)
I had mine done 3 years ago by Quantum (because I could 😉). A true remap with no chips or boxes. Instantly noticed a smoother tick over (and I thought it was exceptionally smooth before the tune). It is very noticeably more powerful and there's a big improvement on motorway hills towing the car. It's rare now to hear a downchange at 65mph on the motorway. It's a 3 litre V6 Merc 5sp auto 5.4T. Quantum state power as 230bhp. Can't remember torque figure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just like someone I know, a sensible and intelligent chap who, no matter what I said, insisted he got an extra 5 to 10 mpg by aligning fuel molecules using some expensive special earth magnets he bought and clamped around his fuel line. ..
Guess who fell for that as a newbie when visiting an open day at Brownhills! 😡

Still have the thing but split into bits as the magnet are great for finding dropped screws etc! 😄

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Alto 2013
Exp
Since 2021
We had a Quantum remap on our 2013 Ducato - the 2.3l 130bhp model

Not a night-and-day difference - it's not a sports car after all, but definitley a little more power available more quickly when pulling away, and on steep uphill sections etc.

No issues so far, although it was only done in January - around 3200 miles ago.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Well by the response so far it would not seem that anyone has had any negative consequences of re mapping . Various comments supporting and condoning re mapping but no actual horror stories as yet …….but I guess there is still time !
I've had many vehicles remapped, although not the MH, as it has plenty of torque and power.
If you're going to tow a car, then increased torque is your friend (y)

Just make sure you have it done by a reputable company, and never ever use an "over the counter" "box" / "chip".
Be aware that dealers (and manufacturers) can tell if you've had a remap. That includes those companies that offer a service to revert your map to the original (too late, it'll still show).
And tell your insurer. Sometimes they'll charge, sometimes makes no difference to the premium.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
I had mine done 3 years ago by Quantum (because I could 😉). A true remap with no chips or boxes. Instantly noticed a smoother tick over (and I thought it was exceptionally smooth before the tune). It is very noticeably more powerful and there's a big improvement on motorway hills towing the car. It's rare now to hear a downchange at 65mph on the motorway. It's a 3 litre V6 Merc 5sp auto 5.4T. Quantum state power as 230bhp. Can't remember torque figure.
I've used Quantum a couple of times. Very good, and can highly recommend them.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Guess who fell for that as a newbie when visiting an open day at Brownhills!

That was a guy selling those magnets at Motorhome shows for years. That was also someone else selling a sealed Old Holborn tobacco tin which you connected to your van battery, it halved your fuel costs. I bought two and was driving around for nothing!

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix supreme
You can only go as fast as the car in front, and on the hills let the auto box do its thing and enjoy the ride.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
On mine the remap stops so many frequent gear changes, and that stops the cruise control stopping and needing resetting.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I’ve had many many maps applied to a whole variety of vehicles over many years. Get one from a company who know what they are doing (not some spotty kid applying random x’s to your remap) and have some history and reputation and there is only upside. Note that BHP figures are largely meaningless with a large Motorhome, torque in certain gears is what you really want!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
On my last van I tested a Vortex exhaust system, It did make the van more powerful on hills, before I needed to drop down gears on the Pennines, after I didn't. Also got around 11% better fuel economy. Tested by me in a real environment.
What was the cost to have it installed?

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
I've always thought the whole industry a bit of smoke and mirror. I wonder how much the effect of a remap is just a placebo, someone tells you it will be better, charges you loads of money and you convince yourself it is. You really believe it. You believe it so much, you'll rush on here to tell me I'm Sooo wrong '\

Just like someone I know, a sensible and intelligent chap who, no matter what I said, insisted he got an extra 5 to 10 mpg by aligning fuel molecules using some expensive special earth magnets he bought and clamped around his fuel line. ..
Oh Ye of little faith.

Geoff

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson S697
Call me cynical as well.

Manufacturers spend a lot of money on making their vehicles as good as they can be. If a simple software update can offer so much better power and MPG, then they would have already done it. If they haven’t, there will be a good reason.
If you get it done at the right place....it isn't a simple software update. It is bespoke to your vehicle. Manufacturers churning out hundreds, thousands or tens of thousands of vehicles use the same ecu map for each vehicle, a tuner is just fettling said map to smooth out peaks and troughs in power/torque and will no doubt discuss just what you're wanting out of the map.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
That explains it they only do a 140 & 180 in the 2.2, I think they did a 160 for a few months.
My Benivan (Autotrail) 2022 has the 2.2 160bhp 9 speed auto and goes really well. It can be switched to Power mode on the auto but I think it just holds the gears longer. Never bother with it or the Eco mode as Normal works fine.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My Benivan (Autotrail) 2022 has the 2.2 160bhp 9 speed auto and goes really well. It can be switched to Power mode on the auto but I think it just holds the gears longer. Never bother with it or the Eco mode as Normal works fine.
Power is good in the mountains and helps with engine breaking on the descents.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
In the middle 70's I had a mini. There were all sorts of gadgets and gizmos you could add to make it go faster and better fuel economy. The best thing we ever had was a tigers tail sticking out the tank.
It was Greaaaaat ( or was that a different tiger) :rofl:

Upvote 1
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Ours is a 150bhp fiat comformatic at 4250kg. ( unmapped)

With our tow car we average 24mpg. Without, we average 25.5mpg.

I’m OK with that
We average much the same with ours although a little heavier @ 4500kg with 180 bhp with car and trailer close to max gross train @6000kg 😊

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
In the middle 70's I had a mini. There were all sorts of gadgets and gizmos you could add to make it go faster and better fuel economy. The best thing we ever had was a tigers tail sticking out the tank.
Yes the Frosties tiger 😌😁

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Can't remember what BHP my van is 🤔 about 130 I think, plenty of power, only time it slows down on hills is the Pyrenees in france.
Can't imagine any modern van needing more power unless you're in a big hurry, or maybe you have van track days 😆

The diesel transits of the 80s and 90s yes, they were very slow.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

And if you had a noisy exhaust it always sounded faster….😆😎

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Replacing the distributor's c/b points in our 60's Minis and other cars always improved performance. In fact it was because over time a pip gradually develops unchecked on the contacts, in effect closing up the gap and retarding the ignition timing.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back