Questions to the forum

Russ3376

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Actively Researching
We are selling up, yep everything, and leaving the carousel so here are a few questions for the experts, there's a ton of info on the interweb, too much 🙄, but I'd rather ask the peeps who live it!

How do you maintain a UK footprint (as we will have no offical home address) for GP, postal/proof of address for future return and buying a new home?

Which Medical Insurance is best?

Pet Insurance (Already have Pet passport)?

Which Security devices are essential without it adding armour plating, canons and anti personel mines, which is illegal?

Worth getting a roll of fake grass or outdoor mat?

Internet access will be essential, how does that work?

Controversial subject, generator or powerbank?

I should imagine that a lot of sites will already be getting booked up, as we are still planning, which areas welcome off site parking for a limited time only as I forsee we will struggle to get the best sites?

What is the average cost per night at an established site with ablutions, power, water etc?

We are mega serious about this, it will happen so any other recommendations will be welcome?

Thanks in advance campers!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
So he has now used his free posts, so that's it , he has either got to now pay or he can't ask anything else, it was only a bit of advice.
That was my thought too. Many questions on a wide range of subjects, each requiring more info or elaboration and needing extensive replies and many questions, (all of which have been answered in great detail many times on here), so to progress beyond the 5 posts it would be essential to subscribe.
Much of the info can be found in the dedicated 'Full timers', 'Insurance', 'Security' and other forums.

And welcome Russ3376 . The subscription is as nothing compared with the depth of knowledge available on here from those who, to use your words........... live it.
Unlike many YouTubers and Influencers, folk aren't on here to seek celebrity or income by being 'outrageous'.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Well given the initial welcome from some on this thread, it is hardly the best start to promote the good of being on Fun and subscribing.

As Jim states on his post….”It makes us look sad and cliquey”
Jim was referring to a particular post, many's the time Funsters suggest subscribing to access more info and help.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
"We are selling up " would suggest they haven't done it yet as opposed to " we have sold up"
But does suggest it's a done deal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
I joined a couple of days ago, and got some very helpful replies. Well worth the £20 yearly subscription.
Would you say that you felt pressured to subscribe or did you feel you got more enjoyment and more tailored replies from your subscription?
I think that is the way most members feel that new posters really need a lot of posts to get the best replies to their questions rather than 5 free posts.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8086df
Exp
When I first joined, I didn't realise you only got 5 free posts, and it was well worth the money to post. There will be more questions from me when I pick up the motorhome.
I've been a member of Pistonheads for 21 years, and that was a very helpful site when I first got into TVR sports cars. That site is free, but now it's riddled with adverts.
So paying the £20 is well worth it to me.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
I didn’t realise you only had 5 free posts then needed to subscribe but the first few answers I received to my initial question made me realise that joining was the answer. Never regretted it for one minute. Saved us an absolute fortune, discovered amazing places, lots of info and although I haven’t met many of you I feel like I have made a lot of friends. I feel part of a group that in general are here to help. Never felt any pressure to join but so glad I did. Plus I recognised & met Jim the other day, parked next to him at NEC which means I must spend too much time in here!

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
try to search full time abroad in the MH fun search..., but Ive got this from AI if any good. The points below assume you dont have aNone Lucrative visa or the like, but some points to consider, the Video is ok.
Average cost per night is waht you want to make it really, plenty of free park ups depending on country, then plenty sites from £ to ££££, you will soon find your feet on that one.

AI rsponse below
it's possible to live full time in a UK motorhome abroad, but there are some things to consider:

• Travel restrictions
    After Brexit, UK citizens can only spend 90 days in the Schengen area within a 180-day period. This means you'll need to leave most of mainland Europe after 90 days.
    • A passport with at least three months left until expiry

• A visa for all countries you intend to visit

• Your Covid-19 passport

• A UK driving license

• Insurance certificate for the vehicle

• First aid kit

• High visibility vest

• Health insurance

• UK number plate/vehicle identifier

• Headlight converters

• Warning triangle

• Car/motorhome/caravan V5C (log book)
  • Driving regulations
    Each country has its own driving regulations, so it's best to check each country's rules before you set off.

• Insurance
    Finding a policy might not be straightforward because your location is likely to change regularly.

• Connectivity
    You might need to buy data cards for different countries.

• Address
    You might need to use a relative's address because the DVLA won't allow you to use a virtual address.

and a cheeky vid from Gap decaders

You do not need visas for any Western Europe countries. Never heard of a Covid 19 passport but you do not need one now.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
When I first joined, I didn't realise you only got 5 free posts, and it was well worth the money to post. There will be more questions from me when I pick up the motorhome.
I've been a member of Pistonheads for 21 years, and that was a very helpful site when I first got into TVR sports cars. That site is free, but now it's riddled with adverts.
So paying the £20 is well worth it to me.

I’m an early Pistonheads user too!

Also had a couple of TVR’s. 3000M and a Cerb 4.5…

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Internet access will be essential, how does that work?
Obviously you won't have a land line to a router for internet, like you have in a house. There are basically four options.

Get good data packages for your phones, and use them as hotspots to connect laptops for work or TV.
Get a mifi device, that connects to a phone mast and provides local wifi in your motorhome. Needs a data sim with a good data package.
Get a router that can work with a phone mast. With its own aerials, or a better aerial on the roof. Also needs a data sim with a good data package.
Get a Starlink package.

Everyone's requirements are different, if you just do a bit of web browsing and emails, watch TV over the internet, work with a laptop with zoom meetings, etc. Will you be mostly near towns and cities, with a good phone signal, or out in the sticks where it's not so good? It sounds like you will be travelling outside the UK, which brings its own problems, again with a number of solutions.

Upvote 0

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
We are semi-retired travelling 9 months of the year, luckily we have a business storage address which we use for the electrol roll, doctors etc.
Most will use a family members address as a home address, if it's just for post there's a service called boat mail, which we haven't used but it has been mentioned on here.
Hope this helps.
Oh and we love our lifestyle but we do have each other to share all the ups and downs.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back