PVC Prices!!

Given choice and the right layout within my budget my next van would ideally be

• A full PVC style Motorhome

Votes: 101 51.3%
  • A smaller campervan T5 or similar size

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • A coachbuilt either high or lowline (non tag axle)

Votes: 30 15.2%
  • An A class standard size (non tag axle)

Votes: 48 24.4%
  • A larger A or C class motothome (either tag or twin rear wheel)

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • A super liner style coach like mega vehicle

Votes: 4 2.0%

• Total voters
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I agree with Manxcat a Carthago Compactline sounds ideal. If you don’t need 4 beds omit the drop down bed, you get extra cupboards instead.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I agree with Manxcat a Carthago Compactline sounds ideal. If you don’t need 4 beds omit the drop down bed, you get extra cupboards instead.
My Compactline 138 has the cupboard option. Loadsa storage. No way would I pay the sort of money quoted for a PVC. Not that I'm looking to change my A Class.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I love our Globecar 600L revolution - perfect for the two of us and the spaniel.
its the MWB, so 5.99 long, so goes as a car of on ferries, and the H3 model, so the 2.7m high model
B2674175-E330-4746-935F-C59A8BCD9D30.jpeg

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Mines a superhigh Crafter, by Rhales.

I can’t reach the ceiling and I’m 5’11”.
Not heard of Rhales, and doesn't like I will see much of them either, their Facebook page says they shut the doors for good today :(

Shame, as the pictures of their various Crafters looked good. The extra high roof doesn't spoil the looks of the van either really.

I think I can only get the extra high roof if I have the extra long wheelbase as well. I'd quite like that, but I strongly suspect that the amount of overhang past the back axle would prevent any kind of motorbike rack with a decent capacity.

Everything is a compromise I guess.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
What you are describing seems perfect for the Carthago compactline. If bot needed get one without the driodown bed. Loads of headroom. Many fit bikes into the garage m but may need uprating to 4 25 tons for that.
Yes, I'd definitely look at them. I went to the 2 most recent NEC shows, loads of Carthagos on a big stand and not a single Compactline! The "fatties" looked good but just not what I want.

It would need a decent size garage to fit a decent size motorbike in mind. Some motorbike compromise is probably required. But I want it all!! :rofl:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Having to use 2 bays to park it anyway
& in many areas it is totally disallowed the buying of 2 tickets.
That's one of my old man grumbles. You can pretty much guarantee that in any car park, the one or two wide/long spaces with a straight approach will be taken up by a badly parked Fiat 500 or Aygo sized tiny thing that would fit anywhere.
They did that in north Devon .Huge bays for xlwb
commercial vans & at the farthest point of the car park so shouldn't be used by tw@s. come market day the old codgers park tiny cars in them as they either can't drive, walk with sticks & need twelve feet to get in/out etc.
I found one tiny car parked at the end of one oversize bay. There was still bags of room for me to park behind & within the bay. Unfortunately they couldn't get out until I left.:giggler:
yet on any Ducato H2 based van (which is all new Ducatos really) or Sprinter base, my hair brushes the roof or I bash my head on skylight surrounds etc. The Transit mid-roof is even worse.
I can't believe anyone builds pvc's on an H2 roof height ? & why would anyone buy one?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
Yes, I'd definitely look at them. I went to the 2 most recent NEC shows, loads of Carthagos on a big stand and not a single Compactline! The "fatties" looked good but just not what I want.

It would need a decent size garage to fit a decent size motorbike in mind. Some motorbike compromise is probably required. But I want it all!! :rofl:
We bought ours at the February show from Premier Motorhomes. They were the only Carthago dealers there.

We went through all the options to get the van to our liking.

Matt the salesman told us this is te only compactline he has left for 2023 (other dealers may still have some allocation). Apparently, because of the disastrous Fiat backlog etc there will be none in 2024 so the next will not be until 2025.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Matt the salesman told us this is te only compactline he has left for 2023 (other dealers may still have some allocation). Apparently, because of the disastrous Fiat backlog etc there will be none in 2024 so the next will not be until 2025.
What a crazy situation….you want to spend £90k but nobody can supply. I wonder how many of those part-exchange prices offered against theoretical 2024 & 2025 ordered deliveries will be valid?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar
I like the structural strength of my globecar family scout l which I have modified as I am sure most people do. I will not change because there is nothing on the market similar. Of course I envy the space the big vans have but mine also has advantages. Our lounge area is bigger than some coachbuilts. I can also carry a scooter on the rack.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
What a crazy situation….you want to spend £90k but nobody can supply. I wonder how many of those part-exchange prices offered against theoretical 2024 & 2025 ordered deliveries will be valid?
If only they were £90k! There’s a ‘19 plate for £85k for sale on line.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
& in many areas it is totally disallowed the buying of 2 tickets.

They did that in north Devon .Huge bays for xlwb
commercial vans & at the farthest point of the car park so shouldn't be used by tw@s. come market day the old codgers park tiny cars in them as they either can't drive, walk with sticks & need twelve feet to get in/out etc.
I found one tiny car parked at the end of one oversize bay. There was still bags of room for me to park behind & within the bay. Unfortunately they couldn't get out until I left.:giggler:

I can't believe anyone builds pvc's on an H2 roof height ? & why would anyone buy one?
Not an H2 but an H3!! Has a front pull down double bed and rear lounge, works for us. Maximum use of space in a 6.3m PVC.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have just specced and ordered a new Carthago compactline i138. At 6.4m long and 2.1m wide almost the same size as a larger ducato maxi conversion.

Not cheap but full of comfort and space. It will replace our C Tourer 138 which is a bit wider.

What you are describing seems perfect for the Carthago compactline. If bot needed get one without the driodown bed. Loads of headroom. Many fit bikes into the garage m but may need uprating to 4 25 tons for that.
We have an i141 on order not having the drop down bed or oven.
Having it on the maxi 4250kg not practical to run a CompactLine at 3500 kg unless you trevel extremely light.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Never really got the PVC thing. Brother has one but it's just got too many compromises compared to our 7.5 low profile coachbuilt.
The things that would bug me:

Having to make up a sort of bed from cushions and some scaffold tubes
A shower that you also have to do No. 2's in
A kitchen that blocks the doorway
Headroom that is only fit for smallys
Having to use 2 bays to park it anyway
Poor insulation
No real dining area
No easy way to carry anything
Small gas cabinet
Small water tank
Small sinks
Small cooker
Small fridge/freezer box
The feeling the whole van would blow over if a satellite dish was erected
Nowhere sensible for the telly
and other things..

But the real show stopper would be

Nobody waving at me when I'm plodding along :(

Oh.. and the tutting when it woosh bangs :ROFLMAO:
You could be looking at the wrong PVC

Having to make up a sort of bed from cushions and some scaffold tubes Many have drop down beds that can stay down
A shower that you also have to do No. 2's in We never do no2's in our shower always use the toilet
A kitchen that blocks the doorway The doorway is wide enough to walk in and out
Headroom that is only fit for smallys Get a H3 Ducato im 6'2 and plenty of headroom
Having to use 2 bays to park it anyway Depends, if you have a 5.4 Metre PVC its no longer than a long wheelbase VW tansporter and fits in a bay
Poor insulation Never had an issue with our Hymer
No real dining area its compact but usable........have you seen how big (small) some apartments are these days
No easy way to carry anything Interesting comment its about what is essential we normally have space Draws and cupboards are not stuffed full
Small gas cabinet 2x 11KG gaslow bottles
Small water tank 100 Litres of fresh and 100 Litre Grey (2023 model now has 110 Litres)
Small sinks Compact but usable we dont need to take the Royal Doulton just a couple of plates and bowles
Small cooker What Cooker we have to burner rings which is ample
Small fridge/freezer box Big enough for a long weekend and always means the food is fresh
The feeling the whole van would blow over if a satellite dish was erected Most people stream via the new fangled internet
Nowhere sensible for the telly We have a 21" Avtex on the wall

All in a 5.4 Hymer Ayres Rock.......whats not to like ;)(y) (Images below are Grand Canyon and Ayres Rock, with hints of N&B interior finish and improved insulation, not that we find any issues with our 2018 model)

Screenshot 2023-03-17 at 05.38.49.png

Screenshot 2023-03-17 at 05.39.10.png

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along

Having to make up a sort of bed from cushions and some scaffold tubes Many have drop down beds that can stay down
A shower that you also have to do No. 2's in We never do no2's in our shower always use the toilet
Headroom that is only fit for smallys Get a H3 Ducato im 6'2 and plenty of headroom
Having to use 2 bays to park it anyway Depends, if you have a 5.4 Metre PVC its no longer than a long wheelbase VW tansporter and fits in a bay
No real dining area its compact but usable........have you seen how big (small) some apartments are these days
No easy way to carry anything Interesting comment its about what is essential we normally have space Draws and cupboards are not stuffed full
Small water tank 100 Litres of fresh and 100 Litre Grey (2023 model now has 110 Litres)
Small sinks Compact but usable we dont need to take the Royal Doulton just a couple of plates and bowles
Small fridge/freezer box Big enough for a long weekend and always means the food is fresh
The feeling the whole van would blow over if a satellite dish was erected Most people stream via the new fangled internet

All in a 5.4 Hymer Ayres Rock.......whats not to like ;)(y) (Images below are Grand Canyon and Ayres Rock, with hints of N&B interior finish and improved insulation, not that we find any issues with our 2018 model)

View attachment 727903

View attachment 727905
Not the best colour for parking in a field but wipeable leather nice

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Just out of interest….
There seems to be quite a few folks ordering a new MH with lead times of 6+ months. What’s the deal on part exchange? Having agreed a figure is the dealer committed to that valuation irrespective or is it provisional pending a future assessment? Obviously a MH condition may deteriorate in that extended period through normal use e.g. wear & tear and the odd dent or scratch etc. The MH might develop more serious problem like damp. How does all that work?
Also, what’s a typical deposit in such deals and is it refundable in the event of a disagreement about future value?

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just out of interest….
There seems to be quite a few folks ordering a new MH with lead times of 6+ months. What’s the deal on part exchange? Having agreed a figure is the dealer committed to that valuation irrespective or is it provisional pending a future assessment? Obviously a MH condition may deteriorate in that extended period through normal use e.g. wear & tear and the odd dent or scratch etc. The MH might develop more serious problem like damp. How does all that work?
Also, what’s a typical deposit in such deals and is it refundable in the event of a disagreement about future value?
We got a fixed price for the new van and a fixed price for the trade in, van unseen. And as delivery is likely to be a year our van will have done another 8,000 plus miles.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now

View attachment 727903

View attachment 727905
I can see lots of reasons why neither of those PVCs are suitable for the way we use our van but luckily we're all different so live and let live.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Looking at the results so far, it seems that PVC's are 2 to 1 over standard A Classes. I wonder if that ratio would be maintained if slimline A Class vans were/are included in the A Class vote.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Looking at the results so far, it seems that PVC's are 2 to 1 over standard A Classes. I wonder if that ratio would be maintained if slimline A Class vans were/are included in the A Class vote.
By the title of the thread a lot of A Class & CB owners probably won't look at it so the results are a bit pointless.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Any excuse to post a pic of my Lotus , the glued chassis is a work of art and technological brilliance .
Couldn't agree more, nice looking car, it’s amazing what they produced with such little budget.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Couldn't agree more, nice looking car, it’s amazing what they produced with such little budget.
Those days are well and truly n over with the massive investment of the Chinese giant Geely , they will become giants in the EV market .

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Those days are well and truly n over with the massive investment of the Chinese giant Geely , they will become giants in the EV market .
it’s a shame as Lotus have been so innovative, It’s sad to think they will just be another Chinese brand

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
it’s a shame as Lotus have been so innovative, It’s sad to think they will just be another Chinese brand
For the time being the engineering side is UK based as is the innovation team but the new E SUV is being built in China , I’m hopeful but sceptical.
The new Emira is one beautiful car but will be the last ICE car Lotus ever build .

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
For the time being the engineering side is UK based as is the innovation team but the new E SUV is being built in China , I’m hopeful but sceptical.
The new Emira is one beautiful car but will be the last ICE car Lotus ever build .
This is my Evora, it’s the closest thing in handling terms I have come across to a Caterham, just like your exige it’s a heck of a car wouldn’t mind an Emira but not sure I can justify one, just hope Geely gives Hethel freedom to keep the brand truly alive.

A30D9725-CDCB-4720-95F5-5C2636792828.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back