Prostate cancer. A useful resource. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Three months into my hormone treatment , I have had concerns about what is actually happening , allegedly my cancer is being shrunk due to lack of testosterone, but my oncology team do no blood tests to check anything

Trying to get into our doctors is a joke , so I found an online self test option and ordered one. Arrived today , I didn’t realise (or read properly) when ordering but it only says positive or negative , above or below 4

Test done , it’s a bit like a Covid test but using a blood prick sample , 10 mins later confirmed negative 👍😁

Definitely put my head in a better place

£25 well spent 🤔👍🙏 annoying that its so hard to get done as part of my treatment

My main concern was that the cancer wasn’t reducing and if PSA isn’t below 30 I can’t start the RT trial

All good now
David I can understand your anguish I was in the same position four months into my HT. I simply rang my Health Centre and requested a telephone appointment with a GP. As it happened I didn't have to get insistent but I would have done if necessary. When I spoke to the GP she totally agreed with me that I should know the current PSA figure and issued a blood test form.
Moral of story is that it's your body and your illness so not up to the medics to deny you such things. If necessary do like I did to get my RT appointment dates, go and eye-ball them and be assertive but never rude.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
ok david trust me on this you will get an appt to see the oncologist and he will also ask you to have a blood test shortly before you meet (3 or 4 days.) mine was very low at that stage and i suspect yours will be as well, at this stage you will be given a start date for your rt .. at my rt sessions all patients i spoke to had the above. There may be variations at different health services but this is the norm at St Barts

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Natural to have concerns , ‘ allegedly ‘ please ,respectfully , remove that word

Sadly I do stand by the statement , we have to be advised that a very small % of cases do not follow expectations and I think a simple thing like a blood test to check PSA for a reassurance for the patient if nothing else isn’t much to ask

While I am here, update on the sage tablets suggested to control hot sweats , they appear to have had absolutely no effect, I am three weeks in and will keep trying though I have 60 tablets 👍

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Aug 09 to date
A friend of ours not only grew man boobs on HT but also suffered from permanent PMT - although it was his wife that suffered the latter not him! He said that as a married man with a daughter perhaps he was just getting his own back for what he'd had to suffer previously ...... :giggle:

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
A friend of ours not only grew man boobs on HT but also suffered from permanent PMT - although it was his wife that suffered the latter not him! He said that as a married man with a daughter perhaps he was just getting his own back for what he'd had to suffer previously ...... :giggle:
ive been lucky got the boobs but nothing else

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 17, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Sadly I do stand by the statement , we have to be advised that a very small % of cases do not follow expectations and I think a simple thing like a blood test to check PSA for a reassurance for the patient if nothing else isn’t much to ask

While I am here, update on the sage tablets suggested to control hot sweats , they appear to have had absolutely no effect, I am three weeks in and will keep trying though I have 60 tablets 👍
I'll agree with the sage tablet theory, they were no help to me either and I took almost all of two bottles of them from Holland and Barrett.
I just hope that the sweats and ED will deminish or dissappear when I've been off the HT for a few months. My consultant indicates that I will be off the HT six months after my RT ends which should be mid August.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
My PSA has gone down of its’s own accord. 🤔
July 23 it was 4, resulting in referral, DRE, MRI, Biopsies and diagnosis of Cancer. Active surveillance agreed, no treatment.
Jan 24 up to 4.5
Apr 24 up again to 4.7
July 24 down, to 4.3, was expecting a further increase.
Another biopsy experience arranged for 29th August, so I’ll see what the story is then.
Just another reminder to any men who haven’t been tested, please get it done.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
My PSA has gone down of its’s own accord. 🤔
July 23 it was 4, resulting in referral, DRE, MRI, Biopsies and diagnosis of Cancer. Active surveillance agreed, no treatment.
Jan 24 up to 4.5
Apr 24 up again to 4.7
July 24 down, to 4.3, was expecting a further increase.
Another biopsy experience arranged for 29th August, so I’ll see what the story is then.
Just another reminder to any men who haven’t been tested, please get it done.
Active surveillance good , not sure why another biopsy ? Still i am not medical trained 🧐

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
my rt finished on 19/06 all they said to me was you will get an appointment to see the consultant take this label and order a blood test a few days before the app im not happy am i cured no idea i am still having hormone injections but now have a few problems like constant wind more weight gain frequent trips to pee including the night none of which i had before rt my app with the consultant is on 26/08 and i can see that its not going to go well

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Active surveillance good , not sure why another biopsy ? Still i am not medical trained 🧐
When I had my first biopsies last year they concentrated on the side that felt (DRE) a little firm and showed up on the MRI, 9 on the suspect side and 5 on the other.
That turned out to be NAD but on the other side one of the biopsies proved positive, so I expect they might want to test that area more.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2009
Perth, Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
my rt finished on 19/06 all they said to me was you will get an appointment to see the consultant take this label and order a blood test a few days before the app im not happy am i cured no idea i am still having hormone injections but now have a few problems like constant wind more weight gain frequent trips to pee including the night none of which i had before rt my app with the consultant is on 26/08 and i can see that its not going to go well
I was diagnosed in 2017. Too far gone to take out so radiotherapy and 2 years of hormone therapy. Annual PSA test which so far have been fine - waiting for results of latest at the moment.
I am not a medic but I would not read too much into changes since radiotherapy. My bowel has been damaged by RT and I am very "windy"! Problem is the RT treats the prostate but everything in its path gets a dose as well, so bowel, bladder can be affected.
Try to remain positive - I kept saying to myself "nothing is ever as bad as I think its going to be!" ............... and I was right ...........

Apr 26, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
My July 11th blood test showed my PSA was 3.2 and I continue with the drugs and another test in October....

My friend John who started on the road about a fortnight after me in Nov 23 has been through the ringer with the hormone treatment and then a month of radiotherapy. He's 74 but after that he has aged visibly. It makes me thankful that I am on active surveillance.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
All normal , steady yourself , i had AWR after treatment ! All normal procedures ‘ cure ‘ time will tell , i remember my appointment after 20 fractions Psa driven down to 0.03 remember about 96% success rate ??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I see my RT consultant tomorrow after what seems a very long 4 and a bit months since I saw anybody

Hoping to be given a start date for RT and which level I am going into on the trial I have been accepted on to

Started hormone treatment just after my last appointment , not suffered too badly, lot of hot sweats, swelling where I have been injected and nearly a stone heavier

I keep telling myself treatment is better than being told it’s too late 🙏

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Me and others also had nodes done as a matter of course apparently

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Jan 17, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
My HT has been...
1 x 1 month
1 x 3 month
1 x 1 month (to shift the sequence to avoid holidays)
2 x 3 month the last of which was last week

I am now twelve days into twenty of my RT with the expectation of being on HT for a further six months from the end of my RT according to the medics.

Side effects of the HT have been the obvious personal and hot sweats, I've managed to keep my weight static at just over 90kg (200lbs).
Side effects of the RT have been some bowel disruption and more frequent passing of urine most of which I put down to religiously keeping up a water intake of 2litres per day. I'm beginning to feel some fatigue creeping in but it's very minor.

More holidays into Europe with the camper begin on September 4th all being well, fingers crossed.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
My HT has been...
1 x 1 month
1 x 3 month
1 x 1 month (to shift the sequence to avoid holidays)
2 x 3 month the last of which was last week

I am now twelve days into twenty of my RT with the expectation of being on HT for a further six months from the end of my RT according to the medics.

Side effects of the HT have been the obvious personal and hot sweats, I've managed to keep my weight static at just over 90kg (200lbs).
Side effects of the RT have been some bowel disruption and more frequent passing of urine most of which I put down to religiously keeping up a water intake of 2litres per day. I'm beginning to feel some fatigue creeping in but it's very minor.

More holidays into Europe with the camper begin on September 4th all being well, fingers crossed.
I'm the same except I have an app for another problem and hope to get into Europe around Sept 10

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

I'm the same except I have an app for another problem and hope to get into Europe around Sept 10

My RT hasn’t started but I can’t get travel insurance , well I can but with virtually every permutation of medical issue excluded

Hoping it will change after RT

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back