Polishing motorhome (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 11, 2021
Essex
Funster No
MH
Majestic 255
Exp
Have had campers on and off since 1979. Upgraded to a coach built motorhome in 2018.
Best to put it on with a damp cloth I was told and I also use SRP on my van with good results.
I found that method by accident, hurrying to finish the cleaning of the roof as it started to rain. The polish soaked cloth from having polished side panels got damp but left a really great shine, much better than from following the directions on the bottle, which I think are based on using a powered polishing pad.

May 29, 2023
Cotswolds, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote 700GJ
Exp
Since 86
Hi I’ve got ceramic coating on my Pilote 6 years old just.book in for recoating &600 for 6 years protection is good value and. It doesn’t need washing as often soo win win at 81 years old!!
fun kit

Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
Pesonally I've never seen the need to polish my van or my car. Well no that's not true. After a few years of polishing my car after every wash years ago and seeing it just as dirty again the following week I realised it was a complete waste of time.

All modern vehicles are built to withstand the dirt and grime that gets splattered onto them. So the fact that it 'protects' is a bit of a fallacy as the vehicle doesn't need protecting. I can't argue that a freshly polished vehicle looks good with its showroom shine. But how long does that last anyway when you're travelling? especially if you're going to be driving through rain, muddy country roads or even dry sunny countryside with all the aphids, flies and other wildlife that happily stick to the vehicle, polished or not. So for me it's just not worth it and is money and labour very poorly spent. I do like to see my van looking good but for me that just means regular washing.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
My mate uses this stuff and I have to say his motorhome always looks brilliantly clean and shiny, the paint surface as feels lovely and smooth

i've yet to try it though but its on my list

meanwhile I use this if onsite and i'm bored or just looking at it dirty and its doing my head in, very easy to apply and just as easy to polish off

IMG_1197.jpeg

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
I use this for polishing my plane (aluminium/fibreglass). Easy and quick. I just bought more two days ago. Two bottles, around £28 from Amazon.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I must have joined the wrong club! Polish? What's that?

I've had 7 caravans and 4 motorhomes and I've never had the need to polish any of them. Never had any paint degradation of any sort.

Jan 12, 2024
Funster No
MH
La Strada
My mate uses this stuff and I have to say his motorhome always looks brilliantly clean and shiny, the paint surface as feels lovely and smooth

meanwhile I use this if onsite and i'm bored or just looking at it dirty and its doing my head in, very easy to apply and just as easy to polish off

View attachment 940789
The greased lightning stuff sounds good, when you are as lazy as I am anything that saves effort is worth a try .. I'm also mean though so I've ordered some of this stuff: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07C6K63QZ/?tag=mhf04-21
.. it's cheaper and the wife won't know the difference :)

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021

View attachment 940789

Does this stuff really work at cleaning, or is it advisable to clean first? I get a lot of black streaks on my MH, running down from the windows etc., and also soot deposits and sap. Will it remove those, too? If it will, I'm in, although I'll have to wait until I get back to the UK as it's twice the price in France! :)

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Does this stuff really work at cleaning, or is it advisable to clean first? I get a lot of black streaks on my MH, running down from the windows etc., and also soot deposits and sap. Will it remove those, too? If it will, I'm in, although I'll have to wait until I get back to the UK as it's twice the price in France! :)

Does this stuff really work??

no unfortunately I just makes things up as I go along 🤣🤣🤣

IMG_1089-compressed.jpeg

this is attacking the roof before and after

IMG_1090-compressed.jpeg

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021

View attachment 940849

View attachment 940850

I really didn't mean to be rude. I was just double checking before I used it, in case I ended up trapping dirt underneath the product and then needed a whole strip back to start again. The results you got look amazing! I'll definitely buy some when I next visit the UK. Thanks :) xx

Bazzagas

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2022
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato bessacar

View attachment 940849

View attachment 940850
Is it ok to climb onto a motorhome roof...I've been using a long brush with me on a ladder , but it's really awkward , ( had a few scary moments when leaning back slightly )...I'm concerned about it not taking my weight...I'm about 75 kg...

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
I really didn't mean to be rude. I was just double checking before I used it, in case I ended up trapping dirt underneath the product and then needed a whole strip back to start again. The results you got look amazing! I'll definitely buy some when I next visit the UK. Thanks :) xx

You weren't rude at all, its just my Yorkshire sense of humour lol ;)

I use the Grease lightening stuff often and the black streaks just come off easily, its good stuff tbh (y)

• Love It
Reactions: HKF

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Is it ok to climb onto a motorhome roof...I've been using a long brush with me on a ladder , but it's really awkward , ( had a few scary moments when leaning back slightly )...I'm concerned about it not taking my weight...I'm about 75 kg...

Thats a can of worms

personally I don't and wouldn't recommend it, all motorhome are different though so some will take your weight, be careful not to stand near any seams of close to roof openings.

I can reach (only just) to the centre of mine off the ladders, its a stretch but I do it, but at 71 I should be letting someone else do it now for me TBH ;)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I must have joined the wrong club! Polish? What's that?

I've had 7 caravans and 4 motorhomes and I've never had the need to polish any of them. Never had any paint degradation of any sort.
Except when I was one of the Brighton Mini Boys with a Mini Cooper in the late 60's I've never polished any of my vehicles. They only look their best the day I buy them and the day I sell them.

Bazzagas

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2022
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato bessacar
Thats a can of worms

personally I don't and wouldn't recommend it, all motorhome are different though so some will take your weight, be careful not to stand near any seams of close to roof openings.

I can reach (only just) to the centre of mine off the ladders, its a stretch but I do it, but at 71 I should be letting someone else do it now for me TBH ;)
🤣🤣🤣...thats my problem...nearly 70 ...

Jan 12, 2024
Funster No
MH
La Strada
Thats a can of worms

When you're 74 you will get past that .. now I just think "Oh well, I've had a good life .."
What I do have however is a really big stepladder .. bought it for clearing gutters but it is very useful for my 3m high La Strada.. you can buy them literally any height you want, for much less than the price of a new leisure battery or hab check .. handrail and all.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
When you're 74 you will get past that .. now I just think "Oh well, I've had a good life .."
What I do have however is a really big stepladder .. bought it for clearing gutters but it is very useful for my 3m high La Strada.. you can buy them literally any height you want, for much less than the price of a new leisure battery or hab check .. handrail and all.

I would have the same but the boss says

"Where would we keep it" :(

I've often said "under your feet", but its not as worked yet :ROFLMAO:

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
The Fusso stuff linked to above is very good. Also Bilt Hamber do some very good no nonsense care stuff. I’ve used their double speed wax on cars with great results and the wheel cleaner is good for use on diamond cut wheels.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Not wanting to hijack the original thread but I tried Autoglym Resin polish on my coachbuild. Applying the polish seemed quite easy but using a micro fiber cloth to polish it afterwards the finish was patchy.
Would an orbital polisher of some sort be worth trying ? .
It's way too sticky, it looks good initially but then everything sticks to it and it black streaks badly.
Great if you are selling your van next day.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
To clear another thing up. Polish is different to Wax. A good polish after a good claying followed by a good hard wax is the best way to a mirror finish that lasts. A liquid wax is mainly water, so a wax paste is more wax per measure.

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Only way to get the winter gunge off is to walk on the roof (good vans only) BTW I'm 80, no probs.
I've recently bought the big step ladder but don't like it. Too heavy, not stable unless flat, cumbersome and takes up loads of space. The telescopic ladder is so much easier and if you have a long enough one you have enough extension to make getting on and off a doddle.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
17 fun filled years
Earlier on in the year I bought a Ryobi rotary brush, It makes cleaning the roof easy standing on a ladder as it's telescopic and reaches halfway across easily. You can get various types of brushes and pads including polishing pads to fit on the velcro head. It ain't cheap but I can use it at home on patio, windows and such like.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
17 fun filled years
Earlier on in the year I bought a Ryobi rotary brush, It makes cleaning the roof easy standing on a ladder as it's telescopic and reaches halfway across easily. You can get various types of brushes and pads including polishing pads to fit on the velcro head. It ain't cheap but I can use it at home on patio, windows and such like.
Sorry ment add the link.

Jun 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
burstner lyseo 590
Exp
March 2022
We washed the roof of buddy at the weekend… managed to squeeze out of the skylight above the drop down bed and could reach all but the rear 8 “ with a long handled brush… hubbs did that bit standing on a 🪜… a squirt of wet and forget afterwards and jobs a good un! 👍🏼

Feb 17, 2022
Funster No
MH
PLA Plasy P70
Its important to clarify what material you wish to clean. So taking it you have some sort of Ducato base or van etc The front cab van part and usually all the plastic trim like bumpers can be cleaned and polished in the same manner and with the same products as a car. The Motorhome body presuming you have a coachbuild will be made of GRP (Gelcoat) - glass fibre reinforced plastic. This is what they use to build yachts. Use a good yacht cleaner and wax, don't use auto cleaners and auto waxes as it reacts differently. GRP is porous so holds onto oxidation and leaches it out again weeks after being cleaned so sometimes after removing oxidation you need to redo it 2 weeks later before you seal with a wax. This is why sometimes people are unhappy with the finish they achieve after putting in all the hard work and why some can find it difficult to get back to the showroom shine with GRP.
Everyone will have their own regime depending on many factors such as time and weather and condition of the vehicle and what level of shine or protection you are trying to achieve.
For me I clean once a year with fairy to strip all the old wax off, then I use a product called Starbrite black streak remover where needed around window seals and so on. I then will clay bar and if needed polish using a starbrite oxidation remover followed with a decent boat wax. The van probably gets 3 standard washes (if its lucky!) for the rest of the year using a boat wash that does not remove wax and if I have time or its looking dull I will top-up with another wax layer.
Please bear in mind I only de-oxidise if necessary, My van stays outside all year.
The boat waxes are also heavily doped with UV protection as you can imagine there is no shade on the ocean. There are many good products but I suppose my main point is to treat it like a boat not a car when it comes to buying your products. Check out youtube boat detailing and you will find a host of information. Find a nearby boat Chandler and get your products there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back