LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2021
Fordingbridge, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2002
Hi, I was toying with getting this baby as it seems to come with all the bits I could possibly need, but TBH I really know nothing about sanders - it's orbital and has various speeds... if you could suggest another one I'm open to suggestions :giggle:
about View attachment 937708
Hi no that type is fine just keep a slow speed to start not too much pressure and keep away from edges as the paint is thinner there and you will go through quickly just look it up on YouTube quite easy really. Take it easy and enjoy the process.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
There have been a few threads on here before about (DA) Dual Action Polishers before now, the best of the bunch was one recommended by a few professionals, I cant remember the make or name of it, other than I think it was Blue/Black and was fairly light and easy to use with a decent long life motor.
Lenny HB was one of the few Funsters to recommend it, perhaps if and when he sees this he might jog our memories of which one it was.
It wasnt the cheapest, but you get what you pay for as usual.
LES

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2025
Exp
Since 2007
I didnā€™t expect a fantastic shine but hoped it would brighten the tired looking finish. Considering we have had the motorhome for quite a while and never tried polishing it before it didnā€™t seem hard to apply.
The Autoglym resin polish was highly recommended but having read a few reviews I might try something different and an orbital polisher.
Nowt wrong super resin polish, been using it for years with great results. In fact Iā€™ve just done our near 32ft van by hand using that polish and the result is fantastic as it always is. šŸ‘

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I have to admit, I'm too scared to do anything with our MH, other than wash it with some product that removes black streaks (I can't remember the name of it now). Our paintwork is dull and I'd love it to be shiny but there is so much conflicting advice I don't know what to do :cry:

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We had Tourershine on our last 2 vans and Nick used all sorts of Autoglym products on them and they always looked lovely.

The new van has a Ceramic coating on it and so far all Nick has done is admire how lovely it looks and read about the different potions that are recommended! None are Autoglym. I donā€™t care. Not my department! I have packed the Autoglym screen stuff as I know that works and weā€™re on the Poole ferry for our first trip in the van tomorrow, away 2 months!

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Another vote for Tourershine, our 19 year old MH came up a treat and is so much easier to keep clean.

IMG_7377.jpeg

Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
Screenshot_20240826-085818.pngI've been using a range of these products that are grp safe and easy to use. I've had very good results. The guy is on here called 'Parrotsol'.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Read through these, thereā€™s so much info and practically every method or product mentioned.

Personally I use auto-glym and then a carnauba wax. If required I also use this t-cut as its non abrasive and lifts the ingrained muck off.

View attachment 880953
View attachment 880950

View attachment 880954

View attachment 880960
You should never use T Cut on a Motorhome totally unsuitable for pre coated aluminium and must neve be used on gel coated grp.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hi, I was toying with getting this baby as it seems to come with all the bits I could possibly need, but TBH I really know nothing about sanders - it's orbital and has various speeds... if you could suggest another one I'm open to suggestions :giggle:
about View attachment 937708
You really don't want to use a rotary polisher unless you are an expert at using one, too easy to burn through the paint , obital polishers are far better.
Polishers are one of those thing where you get what you pay for you can get reasonable ones for a bit over a 100 quid but a really good one will be a few hundred.
I cant remember the make or name of it, other than I think it was Blue/Black and was fairly light and easy to use with a decent long life motor.
@Lenny HB was one of the few Funsters to recommend it, perhaps if and when he sees this he might jog our memories of which one it was.
It's this one, for a cheap one it's pretty good.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
All polishes have a cutting agent in them otherwise they would never remove traffic film. For a Motorhome you need to chouse one with only a mild cutting action, I've found Mer Auto Shine Technologie (the one in the black bottle with the gold top) it is easy to apply and only has a very light cutting agent, sometimes feels like it's not abrasive enough if the van is grimey but safer than using one with a strong abrasive action.

I give the van a polish with the Mer then wax it with Collinite No. 476S which is just a wax. Twice a year is enough to keep the van in good nick.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Shocked at the prices today for car wax :eek:
I am wondering if the much recommended Collinite 476 (Carnuba Wax) is more or less the same as that stuff we used in the 70's that every dad had in the garage in the yellow tin i.e Simoniz?

Simoniz Original (Carnuba Wax) is approx a 3rd of the price, I remember it was bloomin hard work to apply by hand, took all day to do a medium sized car, and would give of white dust as you buffed it off.
LES

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Shocked at the prices today for car wax :eek:
I am wondering if the much recommended Collinite 476 (Carnuba Wax) is more or less the same as that stuff we used in the 70's that every dad had in the garage in the yellow tin i.e Simoniz?

Simoniz Original (Carnuba Wax) is approx a 3rd of the price, I remember it was bloomin hard work to apply by hand, took all day to do a medium sized car, and would give of white dust as you buffed it off.
LES
From the description I would say it has a cutting compound in it so not just a wax and it's not much cheaper than Collinite as it is a much smaller tin.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
What about the white plastic trims/extrusions which tend to go blotchy black?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Can I throw some more confusing info in here šŸ˜Š

Personally if I was going to polish any vehicle with a machine I would go through this process.

Wash

Decontaminate, removes iron residue.

Wash

Clay, removes all sorts from the bodywork.

Wash

Machine polish, the fun part

Wash

There are many products you can use as a top coat.
If I had somewhere inside I would use a ceramic coating.
Donā€™t buy cheap if taking this route.

Or you can use a good wax.
One used on boats is very good as it contains anti UV additives.

Do a search on here lots of info available šŸ‘

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021

Do a search on here lots of info available šŸ‘

I did a search on here once and came out more confused than ever! I haven't a clue what to do with ours. The best it gets is a wash with a vehicle shampoo and that's it.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I did a search on here once and came out more confused than ever! I haven't a clue what to do with ours. The best it gets is a wash with a vehicle shampoo and that's it.

Ahh I thought one of the other posters did a write up of how to go about it.

I know one forum member got peed of with some saying you shouldnā€™t do this that or the other which seemed strange as the original advisor polished for a living.

There are a few forums and fb groups that are detailers.
Generally you get good advice from them but some are Americans so filter the info.

If you have a fibreglass body, A class, treat it as a boat regarding polish grades and pads.

If itā€™s a pvc treat it as a car with soft paint.
Yes you get soft and hard paints on cars šŸ˜Š

You wonā€™t go far wrong with a DA Polisher.
Because of its working action it tends not to build up too much heat.

As for pads I prefer waffle pads as they keep the heat down as well.
There are different grades of those as well.

You can even apply your finish coat with your polisher, providing its not a ceramic type coating šŸ‘

Good luck

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Ahh I thought one of the other posters did a write up of how to go about it.

I know one forum member got peed of with some saying you shouldnā€™t do this that or the other which seemed strange as the original advisor polished for a living.

There are a few forums and fb groups that are detailers.
Generally you get good advice from them but some are Americans so filter the info.

If you have a fibreglass body, A class, treat it as a boat regarding polish grades and pads.

If itā€™s a pvc treat it as a car with soft paint.
Yes you get soft and hard paints on cars šŸ˜Š

You wonā€™t go far wrong with a DA Polisher.
Because of its working action it tends not to build up too much heat.

As for pads I prefer waffle pads as they keep the heat down as well.
There are different grades of those as well.

You can even apply your finish coat with your polisher, providing its not a ceramic type coating šŸ‘

Good luck

Ours is a coachbuilt. What would I do with that, please?

Honestly, I have no idea what to do with polish / wax / shampoo with wax. I did buy some stuff called Pulicamper, that I used to clean black streaks off the back of the MH but it left it dull and then i didn't know what to do. The rest of it, apart from the roof, I just do with a bucket and sponge with water and a bit of washing up liquid. I have never cleaned the roof. In fact I don't even know what it loks like up there! And I'm super-scared to clean the solar panel in case I damage it!!! My husband cleaned the roof once, but I don't know what he used. I do know there was a LOT of water involved from the hose!! LOL

It's pretty grubby right now. If I wash it using the Pulicamper and rinse it, what do I do then, please? Also, can I use the Pulicamper on the roof (I have 2 Pan windows, 2 skylights and the solar panel up there)? Thanks :)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
It's pretty grubby right now. If I wash it using the Pulicamper and rinse it, what do I do then, please? Also, can I use the Pulicamper on the roof (I have 2 Pan windows, 2 skylights and the solar panel up there)? Thanks :)

Iā€™ve no idea what Pulicamper is Iā€™m afraid Iā€™m guessing itā€™s a proprietary cleaner for caravans etc.

Yes use it on the roof etc to get rid of the grime and any green stuff šŸ‘

You then need to decide how deep you want to go with doing your van.

Youā€™re van being a coach built will be fibreglass behind the cab, happy to be corrected.
The cab will be metal.

Reactions: HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Iā€™ve no idea what Pulicamper is Iā€™m afraid Iā€™m guessing itā€™s a proprietary cleaner for caravans etc.

Yes use it on the roof etc to get rid of the grime and any green stuff šŸ‘

You then need to decide how deep you want to go with doing your van.

Youā€™re van being a coach built will be fibreglass behind the cab, happy to be corrected.
The cab will be metal.

The Pulicamper was recommended by a few people on here a while ago for getting rid of black streaks and, I have to say, it really works.

I can't really go too mad with it because I (a) don't have the time and (b) I struggle with my energy levels. I'd just like it to look clean and a bit shiny :) Maybe I really need a valeter but I've never heard of one in France :confused:

Aug 27, 2024
Funster No
MH
Renault Master
I alway find Autoglym leaves a bit of haze afterwards and is extremely hard to buff up. If anyone has any tips let me know because I have loads of it, given as Xmas presents etc...

That said I use the Poorboys branded stuff (from ebay) with the same technique and it seems so much easier to buff with no haze.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Getting a new van finish seems difficult if not impossible. Using detailers clay should enable you to get the surface ready to apply polish, from here on most polishes should be goot

Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
I use Autoglym Super Resin for the body and 'Meguiars One Step Compound' with a dual action polisher for the fibreglass roof. The Meguiars got rid of all the oxidation and brought the shine back to the roof.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back