LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Gonna take my spare phone with me to Spain and put a PAYG Spanish sim in it..
Any particular one I should go for / avoid ?

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Gonna take my spare phone with me to Spain and put a PAYG sim in it..
I have "Three" contracts which work unhindered throughout Europe....excellent

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have "Three" contracts which work unhindered throughout Europe....excellent
Only to fone the UK with.. Calls made to somewhere outside the UK are charged at international rate... I found that out by default last year !

100brian

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
isle of man
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
since 1990
Only to fone the UK with.. Calls made to somewhere outside the UK are charged at international rate... I found that out by default last year !

I use 3 mobile pay as you go put £10 on change it to a £10 add on and get 2GB data plus unlimited calls and text anywhere in Europe

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
This site gives you a few options...

We used to use MasMovil years ago when we overwintered in Spain as you could top it up at filling stations.

Barry

Nov 5, 2017
Nouvelle Aquitaine France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1980
Orange mundo pay as you go. 400min calls anywhere in Europe, 7gb internet 15€ month. Works for us. Get it at an orange shop to start with but recharge anywhere.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Got a 3 PAYG last year.. Managed to do a tenner in two weeks !
I switched to EE ( SIM only contract ) for both of us amd it has worked out SO much cheaper, but not good when abroad for foning abroad... Chap on the next pitch to us had a Spanish PAYG,,, I gave him 5€ and shared :) That lasted 6 weeks, so I def want to go with the Spanish SIM option, so will check out what @namwaldog and @Chickie have suggested :)

100brian

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
isle of man
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
since 1990
Got a 3 PAYG last year.. Managed to do a tenner in two weeks !
I switched to EE ( SIM only contract ) for both of us amd it has worked out SO much cheaper, but not good when abroad for foning abroad... Chap on the next pitch to us had a Spanish PAYG,,, I gave him 5€ and shared :) That lasted 6 weeks, so I def want to go with the Spanish SIM option, so will check out what @namwaldog and @Chickie have suggested :)

Did you change it to a add on.
I am roaming all the time 6 months Isle of Man 6 months spain using it now in spain.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Did you change it to a add on.
I am roaming all the time 6 months Isle of Man 6 months spain using it now in spain.
It is not a roaming issue.. Calling to the UK was fine, but we have a fair few friends in Spain with Spanish fones ( nearly as many as we have in Germany ) and foning a Spanish fone is still an international call

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Gonna take my spare phone with me to Spain and put a PAYG Spanish sim in it..

English bloke in the indoor market in Benidorm is particularly helpful. We bought SIMs off him for the MiFi.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Def get a Spanish sim..
Until recently that is what i had and kept down at Tonka Towers. Used Orange, no issues and as you say handy and cheap for local calls (y) Just go into the Indoor market and any of the stalls there will advise current best deals HOWEVER be aware some like Lebara run out if not used and you loose any credit on there.
There is also a version of car phone warehouse in the old town, up the hill on the left past the Tapas (Zodiac)...

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It is not a roaming issue.. Calling to the UK was fine, but we have a fair few friends in Spain with Spanish fones ( nearly as many as we have in Germany ) and foning a Spanish fone is still an international call
Did you read my reply above? Using a Three sim to phone from Spain to Spain doesn't cost more than a Spain to UK call ...

Apparently it would just come out of your allowance (assuming you have an add-on) otherwise it's 3p a minute ...

http://www.three.co.uk/support/roaming/spain

100brian

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
isle of man
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
since 1990

I use my unlimited phone calls ringing Spanish numbers and Manx numbers no problem don’t ring uk numbers. But you must change your credit to a add on if not you will be charged

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Vodafone. Certainly on contract once on the continent you can use your allowance within the eu and back to U.K. all included. So, spain to spain, spain to Portugal, Italy to Germany, and all countries back to eu. Not from U.K. to eu though, that’s still classed as an international call weirdly! All without restriction for the duration. Had mine since June 2017 and only spent a few weeks in U.K. ! Calls, texts and data.
Unsure about payg.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have a Vodafone contract with unlimited calls and have never paid to phone France from France, Spain or UK. I only made a couple of calls to Spain from Spain but they were free too. Looks like your situation is unusual.

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Depends were your based , are you a long stay in one location or planning on touring. If single location check coverage, we use moviestar as that is only signal we can get at house.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I have 2 EE contracts both have unlimited calls and texts anywhere in Europe
And 20gb of data on each
Not cheap but ensures I never have a bill more than my contract prices

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I have similar to above. Use WhatsApp to make calls. This uses your data not your phone minutes.

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Did you read my reply above? Using a Three sim to phone from Spain to Spain doesn't cost more than a Spain to UK call ...
yes mate... but I got spanked with it.. and I have no signal at home locatio ,sooo... Same with Vodaphone and Tesco

Vodafone. Certainly on contract once on the continent you can use your allowance within the eu and back to U.K. all included. So, spain to spain, spain to Portugal, Italy to Germany, and all countries back to eu. Not from U.K. to eu though, that’s still classed as an international call weirdly! All without restriction for the duration. Had mine since June 2017 and only spent a few weeks in U.K. ! Calls, texts and data.
Unsure about payg.
We was with Vodaphone many yeas, then they lost the mast at this end of town so hopeless at home

I have a Vodafone contract with unlimited calls and have never paid to phone France from France, Spain or UK. I only made a couple of calls to Spain from Spain but they were free too. Looks like your situation is unusual.
See above :)

I have 2 EE contracts both have unlimited calls and texts anywhere in Europe
And 20gb of data on each
Not cheap but ensures I never have a bill more than my contract prices
We have 2 fones on EE, 10 gig of data on each, unlimited calls and texts.. £8.50 a month each

I have similar to above. Use WhatsApp to make calls. This uses your data not your phone minutes.
All right if you have a decent signal and want to call someone else that uses whatsapp but a bugger if ordering a takeaway or taxi !

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
I bought a Lobster today. 70GB for €24. It works on phone but more work meritorious get to on Mifi

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Luckily I changed to a 3 two year contract just four days before the cut off date of 21st Oct 2021 so calls and texts are free between UK and EU countries and EU to EU. Only 12Gb per month data though unlimited in the UK. I have never used as much as 12Gb anyway, as only email and browsing, no streaming.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Use Lobster, great deals with data, can turn on and off, and excellent coverage across Spain
MJT222 or Winger Can you roam for free throughout EU and the U.K. with calls & data.

I am considering getting a SIM card payg for the spare phone to use as a hub

I believe I can buy a sim when next in Spain on payg and believe in the months I am not in the EU just suspend my monthly payments until I return again. If you can clarify that would be very helpful. 😊

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
MJT222 or Winger Can you roam for free throughout EU and the U.K. with calls & data.

I believe I can buy a sim when next in Spain on payg and believe in the months I am not in the EU just suspend my monthly payments until I return again. If you can clarify that would be very helpful. 😊
It says unlimited calls & text roaming as for data can't find the info on their site via my phone but I looked on a desktop a few weeks ago and data was limited to either 12 or 20GB can't remember which.

We are going over next week will take us a few days to get down there will probably get a lobster sim. If we are careful should be able to make 70GB last a month.

Mar 1, 2021
Guardamar del Segura, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Sonic 700i SL
It says unlimited calls & text roaming as for data can't find the info on their site via my phone but I looked on a desktop a few weeks ago and data was limited to either 12 or 20GB can't remember which.

We are going over next week will take us a few days to get down there will probably get a lobster sim. If we are careful should be able to make 70GB last a month.

Yes exactly that

Mar 1, 2021
Guardamar del Segura, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Sonic 700i SL

You have summed it up perfectly, summary below from their site, is used them since we moved to Spain and the coverages is brilliant, prices for data are good, we live here so I don’t need to start stop, it even when we travel through France back to U.K. the service is great and it finds a strong 4G signal

I use my phone for tethering to watch TV and no issues there.

If you do sign up then use this link, as you will get €5 euro off your first plan, and I get a quarterly bonus based on how many sign up 😂😂

Attachments

• C8B49EA1-F001-478B-B3BB-121B00B424AB.jpeg
    C8B49EA1-F001-478B-B3BB-121B00B424AB.jpeg
    742.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 8AC59D54-B467-435B-B36E-2F6722F0D805.jpeg
    8AC59D54-B467-435B-B36E-2F6722F0D805.jpeg
    427.2 KB · Views: 11

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!