Penalties for smoking when driving (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
I don't remember seeing them last year when we were touring Extremadura.

Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Roadside signs in Estramadura Spain showing 6 points on licence for driving while smoking. Is this new?
Not for smoking, that is the penalty for throwing the cigarette out of the vehicle.
6 points on your license and a ā‚¬500 fine, and if you cause a fire, you will go to prison.
And it is valid for all of Spain.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Smoking whilst driving should attract a penalty everywhere.
Nobody seems to remember that in most cases unless by special agreement with others who may use the vehicle smoking is already banned in multi user company vehicles. That came in with the ban on smoking in public buildings.

OP
OP
rosalan
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Thank you for clearing that up. It still did not stop a man in a small Van with arm on open window sill and fingers wrapped around smoking ciggy. I love Spain!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Thank you for clearing that up. It still did not stop a man in a small Van with arm on open window sill and fingers wrapped around smoking ciggy. I love Spain!

Hot ash blown by slipstream onto dry verge grass can be the start of a fire.

I do not believe many fires are 'Wildfires', in that they are only started by nature, e;g; tree resin heating to combustion.

I believe most are from disgarded bottles causing a lens effect, cigarette buts, BBQ sparks blowing in the wind, BBQs not sufficiently extinguished and re-igniting etc. These are man-made, not wildfires.

May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
I am a smoker, however, I think it is irresponsible to smoke while driving ergo I don't. Smoking inside a vehicle of any type makes the place stink of, well, smoke. It also discolours all the plastic surfaces. If smoking while driving and due to the wind coming in the window the hot end flies into the back of the car/motorhome/whatever, you have a problem that will distract you and possibly cause an accident. Much like using your mobile.

May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
Here is Spain it is illegal to smoke in the vehicle if there are minors with you. It is also illegal to throw the butt out the window. So if you have ashtrays in the car (all new cars do not) you will need to use them. You cannot hang your hand out the window with a cigarette either because it is considered you do not have proper control of the vehicle, same as eating a sandwich. So there you have it. I always pull over to one side if I have the urge to smoke, or wait till I get to my destination.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Here is Spain it is illegal to smoke in the vehicle if there are minors with you. It is also illegal to throw the butt out the window. So if you have ashtrays in the car (all new cars do not) you will need to use them. You cannot hang your hand out the window with a cigarette either because it is considered you do not have proper control of the vehicle, same as eating a sandwich. So there you have it. I always pull over to one side if I have the urge to smoke, or wait till I get to my destination.
I thought it was illegal to smoke while driving here in England ?
But we donā€™t have anyone to enforce itšŸ¤£šŸ¤£
I think you have to self confess and pay the smoking tax, or something stupid like thatšŸ¤£šŸ¤£

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I thought it was illegal to smoke while driving here in England ?
Only if the vehicle is your place of work. ie. a company vehicle
  • Used to transport members of the public, or
  • Used in the course of paid or voluntary work by more than one person ā€“ regardless of whether they are in the vehicle at the same time.
It's also an offence to smoke, or permit another to smoke, with a child in the car under The Children and Families Act 2015.

Of course, if a police constable can reasonably show you did not have full control of the vehicle, it's also an offence.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I'm too tight to smoke, but if I did I'd certainly be responsible and have an ashtray fitted on my motorcycle šŸ˜‘šŸ‘
Remember trying to smoke a fag, riding my motorbike, full face helmet and the hot ash going into my eyes and the fag burning the end of my nose šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø

I know, I know, I was just a kid and nobody could tell me anything sensible cos I knew it all šŸ˜€šŸ¤£

Jul 25, 2017
scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
Since 2017
Remember trying to smoke a fag, riding my motorbike, full face helmet and the hot ash going into my eyes and the fag burning the end of my nose šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø

I know, I know, I was just a kid and nobody could tell me anything sensible cos I knew it all šŸ˜€šŸ¤£
you sound a real clever laddie :LOL:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
thought it was illegal to smoke while driving here in England ?
No only if you've kids in it. I'd prefer 5 smokers to any kids. And no it isn't illegal to eat or drink as long as you are in control of the vehicle.
Very difficult to prove 'undue care and attention ' when people with one arm are allowed to drive.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Why, surely it was a stupid comment? (I'm not a smoker either!)
Nothing to do with the subject but because effectively you are saying the poster is stupid and that's a breach of the rule 1.

Saying perhaps that something is obvious may be acceptable depending on how it is written.

However I knew one heavy smoker who did not understand that just being in a room with him was unpleasant because his clothes etc were full of tobacco smoke until I pointed it out to him. He assumed that if he went outside to smoke that all of it stayed outside. It's a horrible habit and as an asthmatic, ever the carried in smoke was causing me issues. .

Jul 25, 2017
scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
Since 2017
Nothing to do with the subject but because effectively you are saying the poster is stupid and that's a breach of the rule 1.

Saying perhaps that something is obvious may be acceptable depending on how it is written.

However I knew one heavy smoker who did not understand that just being in a room with him was unpleasant because his clothes etc were full of tobacco smoke until I pointed it out to him. He assumed that if he went outside to smoke that all of it stayed outside. It's a horrible habit and as an asthmatic, ever the carried in smoke was causing me issues. .
our spanish friend said the comment was stupid not the poster

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I am a smoker, however, I think it is irresponsible to smoke while driving ergo I don't. Smoking inside a vehicle of any type makes the place stink of, well, smoke. It also discolours all the plastic surfaces. If smoking while driving and due to the wind coming in the window the hot end flies into the back of the car/motorhome/whatever, you have a problem that will distract you and possibly cause an accident. Much like using your mobile.
Not half as distracting as when I used to smoke and a glowing cigarette end fell into my lap.
It was summer and I was wearing shorts at the time! šŸ˜±šŸ˜±

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
My next door neighbour works from home and he was standing by the side of his house just as I was getting the mower out. I said "Hey up, you coming out for a smoke break then ?" (he had a tin of Hamlets in his hand). He gestured "shhh" and pointed to his Ring door camera and whispered that his missus would hear me.
He was under the impression that his wife wouldn't smell cigar smoke on him when he went back inside :rolleyes:

bilM

Free Member
Jul 9, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I am being very nice, I could easily have said what I was thinking. Tolerance is a virtue, something many people need to learn, or relearn.
Say what you're thinking I won't lose any sleep however it does not change the fact that smokers smell.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back