Penalties for smoking when driving (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Say what you're thinking I won't lose any sleep however it does not change the fact that smokers smell.

I once pulled a rich good looking gal back in the 70's because I smelt of cigars and brandy and reminded her of her late father, sometimes there's an up side, sadly not very often! 😢

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 1, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Yes, it seems that stricter regulations are being implemented to promote safer driving and reduce distractions. If you're a smoker, it might be a good idea to look into alternatives, like vaping, to help you transition away from cigarettes while driving. Not only could this help you avoid penalties, but it might also be a healthier choice in the long run.

I can relate to your situation. I smoked regular cigarettes for about five years before I decided to quit. It was tough, but I found that switching to vaping helped me gradually reduce my nicotine intake and eventually quit altogether. I appreciated the ability to control my cravings without the need to step outside or deal with the smell of smoke in the car. If you’re considering making a change, it’s worth exploring different vaping options that can suit your lifestyle and help you stay compliant with those new driving laws. Staying cool and staying dry while making the transition can make a huge difference, so keep an open mind about alternatives.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Yes, it seems that stricter regulations are being implemented to promote safer driving and reduce distractions. If you're a smoker, it might be a good idea to look into alternatives, like vaping, to help you transition away from cigarettes while driving. Not only could this help you avoid penalties, but it might also be a healthier choice in the long run.

I was under the impression that Vaping was unregulated, therefore anything could be added to Vape mixtures.
So are you certain it's healthier? 🤔

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Meanwhile they add nagging in-car voice instructions and touch screens that you have to take your eyes off the road to use.
Yes, I was surprised at the size and central position of the control screen containing speed, directions etc, in the Tesla that I rode in at Quackers a few weeks back?
I thought most British Driver's strongest eye was their right but the screen was on the left in the centre of the vehicle?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I don’t think smokers who only smoke outside smell that bad.

I am a smoker and I am sure my wife wouldn’t be too shy to tell me if I did.

It was different in the old days with smoky bars etc.

Ejaydee

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2018
Penzance in (usually) sunny Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T 590
Exp
Since retiring
Remember trying to smoke a fag, riding my motorbike, full face helmet and the hot ash going into my eyes and the fag burning the end of my nose 🤦🏼‍♂️

I know, I know, I was just a kid and nobody could tell me anything sensible cos I knew it all 😀🤣

And I knew someone who did that in about 1965, who lost control of his bike and collided with a lamppost. Regrettably he died.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I'm certainly no fan of smoking but can't really see it's any different than drinking from a bottle of water in terms of a driving distraction ?

Just an observation as a cyclist that commutes almost daily, the drivers that are most distracted as the ones with mobile phones in their hands, never seen a distracted smoker yet..... but someone looking at their smartphone, trying to text and not realising what's in front of them is a weekly occurrence.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
. but someone looking at their smartphone, trying to text and not realising what's in front of them if a weekly occurrence.
weekly?? Don-t come here then as it is more like 50 times a day when I am out & about. The amount with new cars that have built in phones they don"t use, who think nothing of holding the mobile to there ear whilst manouvering makes me wonder about whether they actually have any common sense?

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Vaping has now been declared more dangerous for your health than tobacco.
If you genuinely believe that you really really ought to contact the NHS, who are blissfully unaware of this news, as they put smokers of tobacco onto e cigs, and I presume, if you are correct, that they are either unknowing of this or they do know and are trying to murder smokers quicker.

May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
If you genuinely believe that you really really ought to contact the NHS, who are blissfully unaware of this news, as they put smokers of tobacco onto e cigs, and I presume, if you are correct, that they are either unknowing of this or they do know and are trying to murder smokers quicker.
Well it all depends on where you read what you read and also what you want to believe. I really don't care either way. I am a smoker and have been for many years. I enjoy smoking and have no intention of 'giving up'. So please don't preach to me on that, if you don't smoke I will not tell you that you should, so don't tell me I shouldn't. We all know the risks of smoking, as we know the risks of processed food, skiing, motor car racing, motorcycle racing, unprotected sex, gliding, flying, crossing the Atlantic in a yacht, telling a youth to stop doing whatever it is that bugs you and so on.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm sick of this nanny state bull**it. Now blow me down in flames - Go for it 😀

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Well it all depends on where you read what you read and also what you want to believe. I really don't care either way. I am a smoker and have been for many years. I enjoy smoking and have no intention of 'giving up'. So please don't preach to me on that, if you don't smoke I will not tell you that you should, so don't tell me I shouldn't. We all know the risks of smoking, as we know the risks of processed food, skiing, motor car racing, motorcycle racing, unprotected sex, gliding, flying, crossing the Atlantic in a yacht, telling a youth to stop doing whatever it is that bugs you and so on.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm sick of this nanny state bull**it. Now blow me down in flames - Go for it 😀
Firstly, go and have a puff, relax, chill out a bit, then explain to me how you took my post as a personal attack on you making the decision to smoke.

You certainly don't know whether I smoke or not or vape or not......I do both and smoked for over 40.years and vaped for 10.

My post, if you care to read it again, is about vapes allegedly being more dangerous than tobacco.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I got done once for eating a ham roll, driving across the Wales to England border by the Heddlu :eek:
just as I was about to cross between Rosset and Pulford near Chester

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
And no it isn't illegal to eat or drink as long as you are in control of the vehicle.
In England?

Eating an Apple is illegal :p They even had police helicopters involved in this one.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
In England?

Eating an Apple is illegal :p They even had police helicopters involved in this one.
She was guilty ........ Of being the ex wife of the chief super 😏

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Don't be silly now.
Ditto! 🙃
Stupid comment.
Ditto again!! 😄
Watch out. That sort of comment could have you seeing Coventry. Rule 1... Be nice.
👍
Why, surely it was a stupid comment? (I'm not a smoker either!)
In your and Barrie's opinions, still not a nice thing to say.
I am being very nice, I could easily have said what I was thinking. Tolerance is a virtue, something many people need to learn, or relearn.
Seems that also should include you, saying something that someone has said is stupid is actually quite insulting.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I too know from personal experience how others' smoking can affect the health of those who don't, just from the remnants of the chemicals the smokers tote around on their clothing. IMV all smokers stink, it's just a matter of how badly/to what extent.

May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
I too know from personal experience how others' smoking can affect the health of those who don't, just from the remnants of the chemicals the smokers tote around on their clothing. IMV all smokers stink, it's just a matter of how badly/to what extent.
Here we go again, because I don't like it you can't do it. How tiresome.

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
I don’t think smokers who only smoke outside smell that bad.

I am a smoker and I am sure my wife wouldn’t be too shy to tell me if I did.

It was different in the old days with smoky bars etc.
Not necessarily, the boss only smokes outside and stinks of cigarettes. It’s the way she is so one gets used to it and don’t comment. Doesn’t stop me hating it though.

A few weeks ago I was undertaking an assessment at a clients site. At one point the H&S Manager brought the line manager over to talk to me about some interlocks etc. his breath was absolutely vile with cigarette smoke. It took a great deal of effort not to through up it was so bad.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Here we go again, because I don't like it you can't do it. How tiresome.
I didn't say that though did I ... :rolleyes:

What's tiresome is not considering the effect that what you do has on others especially if it directly affects their health.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back