Overweight: Payload issues with my Burstner Ixeo Motorhome (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 28, 2023
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo IT740
Exp
I'm a newbie
First motorhome and actually feel really upset after going to weighbridge. Had loaded basics but did not weigh with me or 3 dogs and weight is already 3480kg. If you add me and dogs that another 120kg and still need to add clothes and some basics. We off loaded table, dog pen and 2 chairs when we got back but that only was 28kg. Just don't know what to do. šŸ˜Ŗ

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I have seen from very recent first hand experience that an accidental death is treated exactly like a murder scene, the road is closed for a minimum 12 hours.
That is just to save working. & a ponce for a few hours.
Calmac if your van is not a motorhome on the V5C
They aren't a "ferry company" but a bailout taking load of chancers.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That is just to save working. & a ponce for a few hours.
That's a rather mean comment Gus especially since we have a few 'plod' on here ... mind, thinking about that, how much time those 'plod' spend on this forum could actually support your comment! :LOL:

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Has anyone suggested weighing the axles separately it could already be over the limit on the rear one with a towbar and so close to the total limit.
Not that I've noticed, I was thinking the same.

There is no point in just uprating if the rear axle in particular is near its limit already as it won't give any more capacity, so a waste of paper and money. The only sure way to know if it's worth doing is to get it weighed empty with empty water/waste tanks and either nearly empty or full fuel tank (to have as accurate a weight state as possible) and the see what the overall weight is and especially what's already on each axle. From that you can calculate what is available and if it's going to be sufficient once uprated, if not then it would mean also increasing the rear axle capacity with semi-air/full-air or other suspension mods to increase it's capacity (also maybe tyres/wheels too).

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
The same time as they check tyre tread depth, working breaks and lights, etc.
Depending on the severity of the accident depends on how much they check,
but tyres, breaks, lights, steering and weight are the basics, even for a 'no injury' shunt where the vehicles have to be removed by transporter.
What, they weigh all vehicles after accidents? I didn't know that.

I would find it interesting to know whether there has been a single case of a person landing in hot water after an accident because their motorhome was - I don't know, say 200 kg overweight. (That is, where the weight was then taken as contributory, or where that established a measure of culpability, and they didn't just face a standard penalty for being overweight in the first place.)

One regularly reads about the stuff that can happen due to being a bit overweight but there never seems to be an actual first-hand report?

On the other hand, there's a fair bit of talk about people travelling far and wide in their heavier-plated vans with not that much thought about speed limits, weight-restricted areas and the like. What people manage to do and get away with. "Oh, I look the same as the lighter vans and so I just..." Very little is said about these risks - surely far greater and more probable.

Just interesting. Doesn't matter to me one way or another, with me being totally legal and above reproach and all. It just seems to be a very focused sort of moral panic. :giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
What, they weigh all vehicles after accidents? I didn't know that.

I would find it interesting to know whether there has been a single case of a person landing in hot water after an accident because their motorhome was - I don't know, say 200 kg overweight. (That is, where the weight was then taken as contributory, or where that established a measure of culpability, and they didn't just face a standard penalty for being overweight in the first place.)

One regularly reads about the stuff that can happen due to being a bit overweight but there never seems to be an actual first-hand report?

I would love to hear first hand reports too.

Something I am genuinely surprised hasn't happened is for DVSA to target a motorhome event, it surely must be done at some point if these services are genuinely intelligence lead. Hell, I imagine even targetting Glastonbury would result in many vehicle infractions...

But anyone thinking they are not being monitored: https://trans.info/british-systems-catch-overloaded-trucks-see-how-they-work-108579

I can imagine the same systems trigger when you drive a motorhome over them...

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017怋

Something I am genuinely surprised hasn't happened is for DVSA to target a motorhome event, it surely must be done at some point if these services are genuinely intelligence lead. Hell, I imagine even targetting Glastonbury would result in many vehicle infractions...

But anyone thinking they are not being monitored: https://trans.info/british-systems-catch-overloaded-trucks-see-how-they-work-108579

Interesting article.... However Do these scales in road have a minimum weight they can measure?
The reason I ask is we all know (suspect)
There are plenty of overweight mohos on road.... But has anyone actually been pulled or heard of anyone that has been pulled because this system has highlighted (pinged) them to the controllers!!

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010

That is actually a very neat system

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Interesting article.... However Do these scales in road have a minimum weight they can measure?
The reason I ask is we all know (suspect)
There are plenty of overweight mohos on road.... But has anyone actually been pulled or heard of anyone that has been pulled because this system has highlighted (pinged) them to the controllers!!
No idea, but equally it may not be programmed to flag on 3.5t at moment, so it could just be programming.

All of a sudden you could see going from zero enforcement to lots if that is case... Ref weights no idea on minimums.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
Not that I've noticed, I was thinking the same.

There is no point in just uprating if the rear axle in particular is near its limit already as it won't give any more capacity, so a waste of paper and money. The only sure way to know if it's worth doing is to get it weighed empty with empty water/waste tanks and either nearly empty or full fuel tank (to have as accurate a weight state as possible) and the see what the overall weight is and especially what's already on each axle. From that you can calculate what is available and if it's going to be sufficient once uprated, if not then it would mean also increasing the rear axle capacity with semi-air/full-air or other suspension mods to increase it's capacity (also maybe tyres/wheels too).
I was hoping somebody more knowledgeable than me was going to introduce axle limits!

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
I hate to say it.
But there are many many posts and articles saying get a weight certificate before parting with any money.

No weight certificate = No money.

If you have a C1 licence, then get the van up-plated to a bigger weight.

If you don't, then look into getting a C1 licence (over Ā£1k per person)
or look at reducing weight.
or sell the van and a get a PVC

It has been stated many times that most motorhomes (box on the back, not van conversions) where the weight is plated at 3500kg will have very little payload and you need about 400kg for two people.
Another option, albeit with its own issues, is use a small trailer when needed

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
Another option, albeit with its own issues, is use a small trailer when needed
The trailer is a good idea, but need to be careful that the (for safety) 50kg+ nose weight doesn't put the back axle over it's limit.

We're looking for a MH at the moment (come from caravanning), and it doesn't seem that anything under 4500kg would suit us at all. Really frustrating.

(Depending on a particular mh, having gone over a weighbridge, 4250kg might be workable.

I don't want to spend 3-4 weeks on continental Europe worrying whether I'm overweight (well, the MH being overweight. I KNOW I'm overweight! šŸ¤£))

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Yes indeed.... VED I understand over 3.5t = less VED..
However TFL charges I find totally and utterly confusing to the point where i am beginning to believe nobody actually fully understands it.
Over the years and many many threads on this subject I still don't gave a clue.
Myself or someone else might ask a question and someone will answer said question, with an explanation that makes sense..... then someone else will also come up with a totally differant answer, which also makes sense...
Sorry maybe just me( but I dont think so) that find this subject mind blowing??
Let's get back to the OP's problem.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The trailer is a good idea, but need to be careful that the (for safety) 50kg+ nose weight doesn't put the back axle over it's limit.

We're looking for a MH at the moment (come from caravanning), and it doesn't seem that anything under 4500kg would suit us at all. Really frustrating.

(Depending on a particular mh, having gone over a weighbridge, 4250kg might be workable.

I don't want to spend 3-4 weeks on continental Europe worrying whether I'm overweight (well, the MH being overweight. I KNOW I'm overweight! šŸ¤£))
Why do you want a motorhome rather than a caravan just interested to know. If it's because you like to move every day or two I think a motorhome is a really good idea but I do see a lot static for a week or two in one place with an awning set out windbreaks chairs BBQ towing a car for transport when they get there I really can't see why you would want a MH rather than a caravan if thats the sort of holiday you like.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
Why do you want a motorhome rather than a caravan just interested to know. If it's because you like to move every day or two I think a motorhome is a really good idea but I do see a lot static for a week or two in one place with an awning set out windbreaks chairs BBQ towing a car for transport when they get there I really can't see why you would want a MH rather than a caravan if thats the sort of holiday you like.
When my family caravanned all over Europe when I was a kid, it was because we couldn't afford a Motorhome.

We rarely stayed in caravan parks, except now and again just to recharge, laundry etc. Most of the time, we were on the move, seeing stuff.

When we caravanned, when our kids were young, we tended to go somewhere for a few days and take the car out to explore. Eg park up at Hurley, and do London/Legoland etc.

We haven't been able to caravan (sold it) for a long time due to my wife's business.

However, the last thing we want to do is drive somewhere and park up. What's the point? There's so much to see out there.

Caravans are also stressful to drive with, even properly loaded, within payload, and with a good towcar (weight, wheelbase, suspension).

Many that are blythely ignorant of the dangers end up in bits on the side of the road.

So, I guess the short answer is that we're not what you perceive as 'caravanners'. We're motorhomers at heart!

Travel is the experience, not the destination.

J

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
When my family caravanned all over Europe when I was a kid, it was because we couldn't afford a Motorhome.

We rarely stayed in caravan parks, except now and again just to recharge, laundry etc. Most of the time, we were on the move, seeing stuff.

When we caravanned, when our kids were young, we tended to go somewhere for a few days and take the car out to explore. Eg park up at Hurley, and do London/Legoland etc.

We haven't been able to caravan (sold it) for a long time due to my wife's business.

However, the last thing we want to do is drive somewhere and park up. What's the point? There's so much to see out there.

Caravans are also stressful to drive with, even properly loaded, within payload, and with a good towcar (weight, wheelbase, suspension).

Many that are blythely ignorant of the dangers end up in bits on the side of the road.

So, I guess the short answer is that we're not what you perceive as 'caravanners'. We're motorhomers at heart!

Travel is the experience, not the destination.

J
We had a caravan when the kids were young and used it on sites a week or weekend at a time. When we got a motorhome I think we only stayed a night 90% of the time to me it's what they're designed for.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

So you must be static for the same period to see them doing it?;):giggle:

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.

What on earth are you carrying to need to be at 4500?

We have a 7.5 metre. I carry a motorscooter, 2 electric bikes, chairs, tables, BBQ, water, full fridge, wine store, loads of unnecessary rubbish. We are still under 4250 and ok on the rear axle (rear airbag assist suspension)

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
What on earth are you carrying to need to be at 4500?

We have a 7.5 metre. I carry a motorscooter, 2 electric bikes, chairs, tables, BBQ, water, full fridge, wine store, loads of unnecessary rubbish. We are still under 4250 and ok on the rear axle (rear airbag assist suspension)
That's what I said. Depending on the actual weight of a 4250 plated MH, it might be workable.

Delighted to hear you're fine on 4250. Now, if only I could find similar within budget.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Burstner LYSEO 690TD
First motorhome and actually feel really upset after going to weighbridge. Had loaded basics but did not weigh with me or 3 dogs and weight is already 3480kg. If you add me and dogs that another 120kg and still need to add clothes and some basics. We off loaded table, dog pen and 2 chairs when we got back but that only was 28kg. Just don't know what to do. šŸ˜Ŗ
Hi Chrissy, depending on your age: Car licences issued before January 1997 have automatic rights to drive vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes (known as 'grandfather rights'). If you gained your car licence after that date, you cannot automatically drive Category C1 vehicles, so you will require the training to upgrade your licence.

Upvote 0
Jun 7, 2023
Burnley, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-line
Exp
Since 2005
I had a similar weighbridge experience prior to my last MOT but unfortunately mine was stepping over 7.5 tonne so my licence options are trickier and get a little more expensive.

I had a big clear out to correct things and have put my dog on a diet.

Don't forget you have a 5% error margin before they fine you.

M
In a number of EU countries, there is zero tolerance and hefty on the spot fines. So do be aware of that if you are running near the limit. It may well be time to seek a payload upgrade which could just be a paper exercise and a few hundred pound fee. Worth investigating.

Upvote 0

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
We had the same issue.

I had to decide to not use it as we wanted or uprate it, I uprated it even if it meant Lucy couldnā€™t drive it which is a pain, but at least we can take stuff now.

Ditch the towbar if you donā€™t use it. Instead of spare wheel get a pump and gunk, you could go lithium batteries which would save 25KG if you have 2 batteries.

The 5% tolerance is UK only, get weighed abroad and a kilo over, you get a fine.

It is far easier to uprate and is Ā£300ish if you donā€™t need anything but paperwork. You get that back in 3 years as the tax is cheaper.

Do beware though LEZ is eye watering over 3.5t so if you regularly go through one, itā€™s a non starter.
Check this first as I'm at 4.2T coach build and I'm exempt from all ELEZ and LEZ charges

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back